Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bredfrown
Nov 2, 2022

Pixel pusher and game maker.
Here's some of my favorite screenshots from a game I'm making:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bredfrown
Nov 2, 2022

Shoehead posted:

Heyyyy I follow this on Twitter!

Hey there, Shoehead! :D I thank you so much! Your project is looking awesome, too! I’m sorry I missed you! I’ve been using Twitter a lot less with all the bullshit going on, lol - I usually follow cool devs and projects, and I just followed you back. :)

bredfrown
Nov 2, 2022

Shoehead posted:

Oh thanks, I love finding out people working on cool poo poo post here :D

I'll be sure to post more! :D
I'm slowly getting back into forums, lol

bredfrown
Nov 2, 2022

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I haven't done pixel art in a little while but I've just started getting back into it recently and decided to do some character animations that I think turned out really well

I love these!
The animation and movements are so fluid and smooth!!

bredfrown
Nov 2, 2022

Your works are always a pleasure to look at, shoehead! :D

I did some stuff on a vintage Macintosh SE I restored earlier this year.

Album:
https://imgur.com/a/kqsufSC

bredfrown
Nov 2, 2022

Scut posted:

Has anyone made a really well refined CRT emulator? I find they always look too forced, too harsh, and you can often see the 'edges' of the layers that the shaders are creating?

I would love, love, love this!
Even if it were just to view images. I've been using a shader that I've heavily modded in my other project, but I'd like to see how it compares to an actual screen or very accurate emulator.

bredfrown
Nov 2, 2022

Wipfmetz posted:

What's the resolution of those images?We had a ... Mac II, i think. And I remember it's display to be much rougher...

The SE I'm working on here, and I think this goes for most, if not all compact Macs has a 512 × 342 resolution display.
Which honestly, for that time period, is pretty good.

This SE was slow as molasses, so I grabbed an accelerator for it and it's on-par with a Mac II in terms of performance.
I've been very happy with it :)

bredfrown
Nov 2, 2022

Grey Cat posted:

Recently made a little thing in aseprite.
Unsure what I want to make yet for a first timer game. Can't decide on an engine or anything really.

GameMaker is what I've been using for about 5 years now, and I went in with no experience whatsoever with programming and stuff.
I want to say they have a free version now in their subscription model, too!

I've heard a lot of good things about Godot and Unity as well.

For me, GameMaker has been working out very well, and I've been able to do pretty much all I've wanted from a 2D engine in it.
I'm making an action-RPG like Zelda with some turn-based elements, and it's been working just fine for that, but once you get a good understanding with how it works, and this goes for any engine, your imagination's the limit.

Also, I love this! The art is cute and the animation feels very fluid and it's got a good "weight" to it in the jumps! :)

bredfrown
Nov 2, 2022

jammiesjammer posted:

holy poo poo this is awesome. i really hope one day you did a dungeon crawler proper because these pixel arts rule!

You're in luck!

bredfrown
Nov 2, 2022

I recently got an SE/30 restored a couple of months ago and decided to turn it into a pixel art machine (just basic lineart though since it can only do 1-bit black & white).

bredfrown
Nov 2, 2022

I forgot to post these…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bredfrown
Nov 2, 2022

The one on top took about 4-5 hours :). I drew the boss sprite on my iPad, then did the UI and some polishing on my computer.

The second one took me a little bit longer… I think around 6 hours?
I tweaked it a lot since it was a mockup for something I'm working on, lol. That statue probably took the largest portion of that time.