Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Recently made a little thing in aseprite.
Unsure what I want to make yet for a first timer game. Can't decide on an engine or anything really.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

bredfrown posted:

GameMaker is what I've been using for about 5 years now, and I went in with no experience whatsoever with programming and stuff.
I want to say they have a free version now in their subscription model, too!

I've heard a lot of good things about Godot and Unity as well.

For me, GameMaker has been working out very well, and I've been able to do pretty much all I've wanted from a 2D engine in it.
I'm making an action-RPG like Zelda with some turn-based elements, and it's been working just fine for that, but once you get a good understanding with how it works, and this goes for any engine, your imagination's the limit.

Also, I love this! The art is cute and the animation feels very fluid and it's got a good "weight" to it in the jumps! :)

I had a full version of gamemaker studio pro at one point but that was many PC's ago, I tried getting into godot but the way objects are parented just refuses to make sense to me. It offers languages I'm more interested in than unity at least but the way it's set up is just not for me.
Also thank you~ It's honestly my first animation that wasn't a simple walk or idle so I'm happy I implemented some stuff well.

feedmyleg posted:

If you're not particularly inclined to coding, Construct 2 is the best in a long line of game creation tools that use a super quick and easy to pick up visual coding system.

Thing is I want to get better at coding but I'm not particularly against the idea of visual coding if it worked better for me. I've never heard of construct 2 so I'll check it out.

Wipfmetz posted:

This is a good little kitty.

Thanks! I've been playing with the idea of this character at different sizes for a while now but haven't committed to anything yet. All I know is they jump good.

E:
Bonus here was a couple other weird cat dudes.

Grey Cat fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jul 10, 2023

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

feedmyleg posted:

Actually you want Construct 3, my brain is bad :doh:

I was going to ask because I saw it when looking at construct 2, noted!
I'll definitely play around with C3 and GM2 when I feel like I have a better brain board of what I want to do.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

It's not much, made a couple sprites and animations, but it's what I was able to make playing around with construct for a few hours.
There's hope for my dumb ideas yet.

Also felt like the GBA's resolution is nice to use, feels toony in a good way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gyy_YG1XaE

Grey Cat fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jul 12, 2023

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

leper khan posted:

You might like the wonderswan/wonderswan color resolution and color profiles.

I had to look that up, i have a vague memory of seeing some videos on these. I think that's more colors than I want to work with though since I might go for sets of 2bit palettes for different areas (Big maybe on the 2bit).

Unless I'm misreading its color specs or misunderstanding what you mean by color profile.

The resolution is pretty similar though! So I could definitely play around with the ws resolution.
224x144 WS
240×160 GBA

The ws resolution might be more interesting to design around just because it's a little more restricted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

leper khan posted:

Wonderswan had 16 shades of gray, with 8 visible at a time. Across 16 palettes that had 4 shades each.

Wonderswan color has a couple color modes, but the most prevalent had 16 palettes of 16 colors in rgb444

I there a way to find these palettes? Most of the resources seem to not have much info on that beyond how to program it.