Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
:siren: Chickencheese is here! :siren:

10: Post Chickencheese
20: Goto 10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

Gaspy Conana posted:

I posted this in the DIY forum, but this may be more appropriate:

I have some pixel art that I want to print and attach to a 20x30 inch posterboard. The piece is 120 by 80 pixels, so it's perfectly proportional to the size of the board. I need to do this by friday, so I'm a bit limited on time. Could I get a print this size at an Office Depot or staples or something? What do I need to do to ensure that it's printed at exactly 20 by 30 inches? I was thinking of rasterbating it as a last resort, but I figure it would be a good idea to ask experts.

The good thing about pixel art is that you can scale it up to any size without a loss of quality in Photoshop, provided you use the right settings. Go to Image > Image Size, then make sure both Constrain Proportions and Resample Image are checked. For Resample Image, make sure that Nearest Neighbor (preserve hard edges) is selected, then adjust the height or width values as desired.

For printing, make sure you use a 300 DPI resolution to ensure crisp edges. Staples or Kinkos or whatever should have oversized full color printing available, and the turnaround time should be about a day, location depending. When you talk to the guy behind the counter, be sure to stress that the 20x30 size is the most important part, since a lot of desk jockeys will just print blindly and the higher resolution can sometimes translate to a gigantic, smeary image printed at 72 DPI.

Actually, if quality is a concern, research to see if there's a local print shop in the area. It might be pricier, but they'll be more technically skilled and the color/quality will probably be a lot better. Places like Kinkos and Staples usually get you washed out colors and lots of roller marks, in my experience.

e: Wow, beaten.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
Respect the pixel artist's craft and don't use filters. They're just always…  tacky.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

Kazerad posted:

Also, not sure if this is the best thread to ask this, but does anyone have any resources on making readable-yet-small pixel fonts? I need to whip one up but I'm in the dark as to what attributes are most important to readability.

More to the point, it's a huge hassle to make a good font, especially a pixel one. What's wrong with the hundreds of ones currently available?

Not to be snarky, just genuinely curious. Is it a licensing issue? I just kinda view it as a solved problem, and you could put that time to better use—pixel art is time consuming enough as-is.

If you must, though, echoing what Zackarotto touched on: <7px height is really difficult to work with, if you can avoid it.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
Simplicity and contrast are key. I'd say try one or the other, but not both.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
The original reads like poo poo. Legibility is paramount, go with the top treatment of the tweaked versions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

HelixFox posted:

Edit: This came up in the Making Games thread but I'm probably gonna get someone to redo the sprites as well, but I'm primarily looking for someone who can do shithot backgrounds.

Please use a pixel font thank you and good day.