Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bilgewater
Jul 6, 2003

Pissy jorts.

.TakaM posted:

How's this look:

I moved the hind legs and arched the back a little, maybe not enough?

The problem with the back legs landing is a lack of readjustment for the weight of the back end coming down due to gravity. Since the rump is high up in the air at its apex, it's going to come down past the default standing position as it lands requiring the legs to bend, and then need to be pushed back up. The back legs should act like springs and then push the rump back up to its default position after landing.

Sorry my brain is poo poo and doesn't put things into words very well. But basically think of the rear end of the dog as a separate system, a weight at the top with a spring at the bottom. As it falls, the spring at the bottom(the legs) will bend to prevent damage from the shock of rapid deceleration, thus dampening the downward movement and pushing back up into the default position.

I took a bunch of physics classes and now I animate an enormous amount of 2D game content and my brain is just this mess of physics problems and animation but that is the issue I see with the rear end of your dog.

Also the animation should spend possibly one more frame of having the rump at the apex of the jump. Since any motion is going to spend more time at the point of reversal.

Also the back legs should come forward towards the front legs when landing.

Bilgewater fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilgewater
Jul 6, 2003

Pissy jorts.

.TakaM posted:

Any better?

The back legs should already be bending forward to prepare for landing at the top of the jump.

Living bodies are economical systems and it's really important to keep that in mind when animating things. It requires energy to push the rear legs up into the position they are at the rear's apex in your animation. It would be an unnecessary use of energy to put the legs into that position.

At the apex of the leap, The back legs look more like they're coming off of the forward push of a run cycle rather than a jump. When he leaps, he is going to push off of the ground diagonally, which you have, but instead of the legs going up into that higher position, they'll need to come forward to prepare for landing.

I hope this doesn't come off as harsh critique, your animation style is very lovely!

Bilgewater fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 20, 2012

Bilgewater
Jul 6, 2003

Pissy jorts.

.TakaM posted:

No no please, I don't mind at all.

Does that look any better?
I know he should be readying his legs for the landing, but I think I prefer the old hind legs out the back because those are the frames the animation loops until he lands, meaning when he jumps from a great height I think it makes more sense to have his legs in a free-fall type of position rather than preparing for the landing the whole way down. I also don't really want more than 3 frames for the landing, which I'll admit is problematic since his front and hind legs land at different times, but it's to avoid his legs sliding too much when he hits the ground running.

Pretty cool stuff btw Disproportionation, very good considering you don't push pixels very often. You should consider finding a coder to make a shmup, it's one of the easier genres to make the assets for.
And nice work not making the portraits symmetrical, that's always been a pet peeve of mine.

Yeah I think it definitely looks better from the original, but I believe I need to rescind one of my earlier statements. 4-legged critters WILL push their legs out behind them when they need to clear an obstacle that their legs may clip on the way over. I was seeing this very thing in your animation but I wasn't accounting for there being something to actually jump over. I was thinking of a living body just making a leap for no reason, such as if a person was in control of the critter in game, be able to jump at the press of a button. On a flat surface with no obstacle, a leap will look much like what you have now. Whereas, jumping over an obstacle will cause the legs to do something like what was in the original animation. This is one of those problems you run into while animating game content that must be used in a large variety of situations and it's ultimately the animator who gets to choose which option looks best.