Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Please keep a watchful eye out for hinchus. They are very slow and dumb, and make for easy roadkill.

Playing around with this guy. He could probably use a bit more refinement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Please keep a watchful eye out for hinchus. They are very slow and dumb, and make for easy roadkill.
Thanks, I'll work on the jaggedness. Good idea on the back leg too. Anything else? How does the motion feel? I feel like I've been staring at it too long.

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Sure, here's the spritesheet. I think having a decently high framerate helps with the smoothness, plus I tried to have nice easing in/out of motion using arcs. I find I like to try and design my animated characters to have some kind of extremity that reacts after the motion, like a tail, scarf, ears, etc. That usually sells the motion a lot better than just a straight body.

Anyhoo, that's my 2 cents. I'll try and post a refined sprite sometime.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hinchu fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Oct 22, 2012

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Oh and also, here's a tileset I'm playing around with.

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

I finished this attack animation for my Revenant game last night. The weapon will be separate and I haven't done it yet. (His scarf is the weapon, which is why that red piece disappears in the animation.

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

I'm using the Phaser game engine. It uses Pixi.js for its rendering (which supports both canvas rendering and WebGL.) Phaser also supports a variety of Physics systems. It's just opinionated enough to get the job done without being too restrictive. I like it, is well documented, and is being actively developed. The code is clean and well written.

There is a great examples page which shows off how to use the features. Just start with an example, and read the source code for it to figure out how to do stuff. I'm using the Tiled Map Editor to build the levels.

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

I'm working on getting my scarf animations done for my main character. They're a separate sprite layer. The last 5ish frames on this one loop for when he's falling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Rapt0rCharles9231 posted:

I've been whittling away at some random stuff lately to pass the time.

Nice timing and anticipation!