Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
The art situation is stupid because it's the kind of piss poor shading that won't satisfy someone who wants art that accurately accounts for CRTs and it won't satisfy someone who wants a modern take either.

It's worth noting too that because they are reconstructed from the background of the video in the like sub 2 second clip of gameplay we aren't seeing an accurate representation of the actual colour ramps in use. There's a lot of extra shades in them that reminds me of how your pallette gets hosed by jpeg compression so I doubt that'll be present in the actual games. The ramps themselves are still shite though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Tunicate posted:

Maybe, but given how lovely the ios sprites were...

Man the iOS sprites were bad, which is weird because the Record-Keeper and Octopath sprites (without the lighting) are all really good, so there's people in the company who for sure can both match the SNES FF's in style and quality.

These are Record Keeper sprites which are very purposely copying FF6 and span the entire series, not just the main characters here but it's a gatcha so there's a heap of side characters in game too. (I don't play btw cos lol)
Biggest gripe with these actually is that Barret seems really light skinned??

These are the 8 main characters in Octopath, they're a little more mature? Maybe? They're way less constrained size-wise and have a larger palette, so you can see things like the chatacter's neck, while still kind of looking like they share some kind of common ancestor in the FF6 sprites.

Both styles imo would have been preferable to what we *seem* to be getting. I wouldn't mind an Octopath approach to them if they are full remakes, but I know that would be divisive. I'd also prefer if Octopath had flatter lighting like Grandia or something but thats an entirely different can of worms :can:

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jun 26, 2021

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
poo poo I only noticed I haven't posted any of my art itt this year?

Here's a few things from the summer. The game has been taking up so much of my time... Most of the pixelling I'm doing atm is like a single tile I realised I needed late or the side of a button or whatever, which is hard to show off

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Been thinking a lot about the Gameboy Color, partially because of Mina the Hollower, but also just because I fuckin love the GBC look

Hallow Knight

Elden Ring

:v:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I did even more GBC style Elden Ring stuff

It's kind of dumb that in year 4 of working on a GBC Zelda clone I'm only now getting it right in terms of palettes :negative:

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Mar 23, 2022

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
For me Aseprite is the prefect triangle of cheap, useful and well maintained, I've been using it for nearly... woah nearly ten years now??

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

bredfrown posted:

Here's some of my favorite screenshots from a game I'm making:

Heyyyy I follow this on Twitter!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

bredfrown posted:

Hey there, Shoehead! :D I thank you so much! Your project is looking awesome, too! I’m sorry I missed you! I’ve been using Twitter a lot less with all the bullshit going on, lol - I usually follow cool devs and projects, and I just followed you back. :)

Oh thanks, I love finding out people working on cool poo poo post here :D

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Shoehead posted:

I am doing an absolutely terrible job with this hair.

Lol I've been posting art itt for 10 years

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Been focused mainly on my game and doing paid work I can't post but I have a few things from the last 3 months

Some more Zelden Ring

I was also doing sprites of friend's OCs to warm up for a little bit

Lots and lots of little fun things that I could squeeze into a half hour or so...

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Love this, everyone is pretty much instantly recognisable

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Been working on a little thing because I'm in a Star Warsy mood, I've 2 scenes left to do (Vader and Luke on Bespin and the Emperor in his room on the second Deathstar) before I think I'm done.

I was at one point gonna try make a little prototype with the taller sprites but I uh.. got some bad news and then scoped back..

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Seshoho Cian posted:

Did a mockup for a Gundam Witch from Mercury fighting game inspired by Gundam Wing Endless Duel for the Super Famicom.

Hell yeah, I loved Endless Duel. I need to check out Witch from Mercury too...

I finished this sucker

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I didnt end up posting this part but I hated how sites were cropping my Star Wars thing so I added another panel

And then Ars Technica wrote to me about it:
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2023/05/star-wars-lukes-awakening-fan-art-imagines-2d-zelda-in-the-star-wars-universe/

Since then I've been in a bit of a job induced depression and I havent been able to draw a lot.. I started messing around with sprites again this week

This one was too tall for my needs but I'm thinking about Gameboy color sprites again, as usual for me now. MAde it a bit smaller but I think I managed to keep the character in there

Not that many... frames.. oh

Diabetes Forecast posted:

I don't know how I hadn't posted about this yet.

I got contracted last year to do animations for Double Dragon Gaiden, as well as managed to get another artist friend hired to do other pixel stuff for it as well! I'm not at liberty to say what yet (it didn't show up in the trailers yet) but I am very excited to see my work in a big game like this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c0ff_uZQrY

Also here's some other stuff I've done idk:

haha I literally just found you on twitter like yesterday, I was looking through your work and I was like "huh these mechs look familiar.."

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Grey Cat posted:

Recently made a little thing in aseprite.
Unsure what I want to make yet for a first timer game. Can't decide on an engine or anything really.

I love this little baba

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Raenir Salazar posted:

I got a android drawing tablet and loaded up Pixel Studio.

I have no idea what I'm doing!!!

Not knowing what you're doing is the first step! Keep it up

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Crosspostin'

Shoehead posted:

I just got done working on this asset pack I started putting together while I was waiting on people to show up for appointments in work. Some repurposed old stuff and some/alot of newer stuff for people to check out

https://shoehead.itch.io/shoes-action-adventure-tiles

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Wipfmetz posted:

There's a farm now. Also, graphics in text.

I might have said this last time but I'm getting serious Baldies vibes off of this. I love it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Last year I did a big thing for May 4th but this year it just wasn't goin' (and I was also working on 4 different things an looking after a baby) so

Its a shame because I really liked the job I did on the player portraits, but I had to give myself a break!