Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
In PS you can make the scanlines a pattern and just bucket tool it all over your image.

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Photoshop-Pattern

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Man, I totally posted that!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

the chaos engine posted:

^^^^^ Cheers to you too! And first! Cheers to you first!

:shobon:

Now to end this derail, have some Owls (well its all the one owl)

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Where the gently caress did the week go?

Clockwork Cupcake posted:

I missed that you'd posted that, Shoehead! Those are some pretty cool owl(s), are your monster dudes for a specific project or just for fun?
Mayyyyybe? I have some friends (Goons) who are getting into writing and programming and we are all kinda learning with each other but I don't think they want me telling people stuff? I think we were planning on splitting up soon and doing some fun game jam stuff here :3:

Tunicate posted:

I'm a little confused as to where the light source is supposed to be coming from. The belly in particular is pretty banded, which doesn't really give much information about the shape of an object.

You are correct and I should fix that banding and rethink some of this lighting 'cos it was supposed to be dead on.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Humboldt squid posted:

Usually you have more than one piece going at a time (usually 3-4), so when you get tired with one you can work on another - plus it lets you get a fresh perspective when you come back to it.

I tend to zone the hell out and end up with some work at the end of it like 4 hours later, I find it very very relaxing. That said I've been doing some work for other people lately, and with having to redo some sprites over or tweak things slowing down my work it really helps to go and zone out on another piece for a bit even if it's to build up my confidence.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Stuff3 posted:

Im a huge piece of poo poo at art. But if I quit I'd just be even bigger poo poo.

Please excuse my area capturing abilities. Not the actual resolution either im retarded etc.

Never say die! Bully the poo poo out of those pixels until they work for you! :D

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

He's so proud of his work! :3:

I.. I just have something in my eye... no I'm fine!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Halloweeeeeeen!

Edit:
No BODY will see this

Ohohoho

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Oct 9, 2013

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Trying to do a right to left walk again.. If any of you remember me posting during the summer. I'm super shite at this part. I don't know why I just cant get it!

Edit:

Better?

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 15, 2013

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Havegum posted:

I think it looks like it's alternating between taking one step forward, then sidestepping one to its left.

Here's something heavily inspired from hyper light drifter

And also a cat

Yeah! It's that far leg looking off isn't it? I'm finding it hard to make his foot point up like he's putting his weight on the ball of his foot.

Also My phone hosed up and played every gif backwards and with frames all over the place and it looked like they were all doing funky dances.

Edit: Oh and have this!

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Oct 16, 2013

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

stegoceras posted:

At the risk of self-promoting, a couple of friends and myself have started a pixel challenge blog over at http://compixellated.tumblr.com/ if any of you are interested. This week's challenge is animation and we've actually already received a goon submission (I knew I recognized Havegum's art but I couldn't recall where)

We make a post every week on Sundays, so if any of you are having difficulty getting inspired or just want extra practice it'd be cool to check out :shobon:

I was wondering when you'd post over here.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Took a break to do this fella.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

I think it's improving?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Scut posted:

A game dev asked me to propose a graphic update for a main character and I sent him this. I'll probably keep the original under wraps for the time being, as I don't know what's happening with my involvement at this point.

It really reminds me of Syndicate, I think it's the palette.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Dropsy is over $10,000!! It's so close! :holy:

I did this during the week until I got sick of looking at it.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Gaspy Conana posted:

We're now just over 12! Yay! And I dig that, but something about the single line highlight on the top of his head is distracting. Maybe thicken it up a bit or something? I don't know. Looks great, though.

Maybe I should. I am totally just trying shapes and stuff until I break my brain and understand lighting right. Fake it til you make it :v:

I think this dude died of a headache.

Edit: Oh man I missed a pixel! That's gonna drive me NUTS!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Supernorn posted:

Giving some existing assets a few tweaks, and recoloured them using the new palette. New vs Old:

That new palette is miles more vibrant. I look forward to getting bludgeoned to death by any one of these items :unsmigghh:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Just checkin' in to say that I still love those pixels.

Exclamation Marx posted:

I tend to block out forms and then refine down to the pixel-detail level. For sprites I try block out a silhouette > lineart > shade from there

from surt's generator

I really like all the detail in these. Maybe I should start doing higher res stuff?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I pixel vengeance

Edit: well done Gaspy, BTW!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I gotta use a mouse, I've had a Wacom Bamboo for years and I just cant get used to holding a pen and not looking at it.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Guess what game I've been playing?

Still not done yet, I want to sort out her jaw a little more and have her hair doing something other than just hanging there.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Havegum posted:

What direction is the light coming from

Nowhere yet! I spent all yesterday out having adventures and I'm too beat to pixel right now.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
The banding on this is RUFF.

I should stop banding!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Aww but I hate lighting! I'll recolour the pug and report back.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Shoehead posted:

Aww but I hate lighting! I'll recolour the pug and report back.

Reporting back!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I messed around with some Starbound sprites today. It's fun as heck, I wish I could do more than make sprites and add recipes.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

neurotech posted:

Any shots?

Yeah this yoke:

All uploaded here!

I also made Geordie's visor, but I hosed up some files and haven't uploaded it yet.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Tetracell posted:

I've been practicing some pixel art lately, and could do with some feedback / advice. These are some examples of people that I've been toying around with, as you may see I too have been watching a fair bit of TNG lately.

- at 2x zoom

- at 5x zoom

The lack of arms are intentional because no matter how long I tried I couldn't get them to look decent, and I've come to like the idea of a Rayman-esque disembodied hands style. The problem I'm running into now is bringing some level of detail and definition to them. I also have no idea what to do about the legs. Obviously triangle crotches look like garbage, but I run into the same problem with legs as I do with the arms - in that I just don't know what to do to make them look like they belong, I suppose. Would it be easier if I tried maybe doing them smaller? Any help is appreciated.

I am literally pixeling more TNG stuff right now too haha.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Siiiiiick. Did you print it for them?!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Just did this for someone. :v:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Nice! I love the rock's palette.

Hang on there a second I have to back up the pixel dump truck:

I'm having fun with my newer base.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

That was fun :3:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Everything I work on atm seems to come out kind of broken. So I went back to the well. The Solaire well.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Scut posted:

Great animation!
Thank you! :3: It was really fun to do.

Noyemi K posted:

I have this from an old, discontinued project:

And sometimes I do pixel scenes in between screenshot dumps:

drat this is exactly the style of sprite I keep trying to do and loving up.

Edit: Oh yeah I managed to take on a commission despite my commission info being hidden away somewhere and I'm super nervous about the whole deal..:sweatdrop:

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Feb 15, 2014

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Made this

To go with this

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

Is this supposed to be the wrestler guy that goes YES YES YES?

YES YES YES YES YES YES :3:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Oh I never posted my inventory from last week

It's cool to see more people are doing it each week

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I just wrote it out in pixels

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
This week's compixellated was favorite characters so.. Animes!

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

SMP posted:

First piece I've done in a while. For the GBS Dark Souls contest.

There's a GBS Dark Souls contest?