Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
€200 and above is still expensive from my perspective, and local shop has 700-series starting at 280. Goodbye GTX 660, I barely knew ye for year and a half... and I also have exactly 8GB of RAM. I shall have to :pray: for Omnissiah so that my preorder won't be gated by obsolete card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
I'm hoping a 4670k & gtx970 will be enough for this.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

I'm hoping a 4670k & gtx970 will be enough for this.

I think you'll be just fine.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

GuyUpNorth posted:

€200 and above is still expensive from my perspective, and local shop has 700-series starting at 280. Goodbye GTX 660, I barely knew ye for year and a half... and I also have exactly 8GB of RAM. I shall have to :pray: for Omnissiah so that my preorder won't be gated by obsolete card.

Don't buy old Nvidia 7xx stock. Assuming you play at 1080p you want a R9 280 for high/very high quality, or a R9 280X for very high/ultra.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

sauer kraut posted:

Don't buy old Nvidia 7xx stock. Assuming you play at 1080p you want a R9 280 for high/very high quality, or a R9 280X for very high/ultra.

Counterpoint: Don't buy an AMD card.

I have a 4GB MSI 770 and it owns but you're better off getting the sweet new 970 and being set for several years.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The Joe Man posted:

Counterpoint: Don't buy an AMD card.

I have a 4GB MSI 770 and it owns but you're better off getting the sweet new 970 and being set for several years.

There are some really good value cards out there but the 970 isn't it. Most people are looking to buy for about $300 give or take.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

On the other hand, the GTX 970 is the absolute best price per performance card you can buy right now. It's around $330 though, but at least you're getting your money's worth.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

On the other hand, the GTX 970 is the absolute best price per performance card you can buy right now. It's around $330 though, but at least you're getting your money's worth.

Yeah I just checked the prices again and HOLY poo poo it's cheap enough. Just ordered one :toot:

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Demiurge4 posted:

There are some really good value cards out there but the 970 isn't it. Most people are looking to buy for about $300 give or take.

Well don't leave us hanging, share your value secrets.
It's a 290X with some mail-in rebate isn't it.

^^haha ok, hope it was a MSI Gaming 4G or Asus Strix

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

sauer kraut posted:

Well don't leave us hanging, share your value secrets.
It's a 290X with some mail-in rebate isn't it.

^^haha ok, hope it was a MSI Gaming 4G or Asus Strix

I got the MSI, I really shouldn't make snap decisions like this and I hope I'm not wasting my money.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Demiurge4 posted:

I got the MSI, I really shouldn't make snap decisions like this and I hope I'm not wasting my money.

No if you're into gaming that p much the safest buy ever next to any 200$ Core i5, congratulations.
But enough video card chat.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

I got my 970 for about £270 a few weeks ago and it's been great. Runs Witcher 2 with everything turned on (except that ubersampling thing) and I don't think I've seen it go below 110fps in the arena. Gets retarded high framerates in most games I play and the downsampling feature is great.

That said, I'm halfway through Witcher 1 and plan on finishing that before playing the second proper.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Demiurge4 posted:

Yeah I just checked the prices again and HOLY poo poo it's cheap enough. Just ordered one :toot:

You'll love it, it's my favorite card I've had. I have no idea what specs I'd need for ubersampling at 1080p ultra, though.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
I just finished this after picking it up during the recent Steam sale. It was alright, but I didn't feel it was anything mindblowing. Never having been a fan of the fantasy genre is probably part of that. I never fell in love with the combat system, and the names and locations were hard to keep straight.

That being said, I'm looking forward to hearing more about Cyberpunk 2077. That is more my style.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Demiurge4 posted:

You're fine. MSI and ASUS built their cards with proper cooling. EVGA on the other hand...

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I don't seem to be getting achievements. I'm in the Prologue and tried to trigger the one for making five potions and nothing happened. There's also an achievement for helping that guy escape the castle and I didn't see it. I purchased W2 through Origins.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I don't see a Witcher 3 thread anywhere, so I figure I'd ask here: how insane of a machine do yall think I'll need to play it at 3840x2160, high settings (no ubersampling of course)?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

EightBit posted:

I don't see a Witcher 3 thread anywhere, so I figure I'd ask here: how insane of a machine do yall think I'll need to play it at 3840x2160, high settings (no ubersampling of course)?

pretty insane, EioghtBit. Pretty mother f***ing insane

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

To be honest, ubersampling looks a bit too much like someone smeared vaseline on my monitor.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

NVIDIA's DSR stuff uses a sweet 15-tap kernel or whatever it is, should be much nicer than ubersampling.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

EightBit posted:

Not really insane, dual 970's should do that IF the game in question plays nice with SLI.
Ask Far Cry 4 players how that goes :smithcloud:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

sauer kraut posted:

Not really insane, dual 970's should do that IF the game in question plays nice with SLI.
Ask Far Cry 4 players how that goes :smithcloud:

At 60fps? I was hoping my 2x970 system could sustain high at 2560x1440@60, let alone that higher res. This is pleasing news.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

At 60fps? I was hoping my 2x970 system could sustain high at 2560x1440@60, let alone that higher res. This is pleasing news.

Hell if I know if runs stable 60fps, but it's the only sensible setup for 4K available atm.
The others are spending 1100 dollers on 980's, or building a ventilated pizza oven with ATI parts.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

I don't seem to be getting achievements. I'm in the Prologue and tried to trigger the one for making five potions and nothing happened. There's also an achievement for helping that guy escape the castle and I didn't see it. I purchased W2 through Origin.

Since I missed Eagle Eye during my first go round I've been using that as an achievement test. I removed the weightless recipe mod and restarted and this time I hit the guy with the ballista for the first time and no achievement popped up. So i guess with Origin you just don't get them. I'm only annoyed because some of them (like helping that person escape) give in-game benefits.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

Dick Trauma posted:

Since I missed Eagle Eye during my first go round I've been using that as an achievement test. I removed the weightless recipe mod and restarted and this time I hit the guy with the ballista for the first time and no achievement popped up. So i guess with Origin you just don't get them. I'm only annoyed because some of them (like helping that person escape) give in-game benefits.

Eagle Eye is an annoying achievement by the fact that it waits until you go into the siege tower to award you the achievement so you think that you somehow didn't get the achievement and end up wasting time trying it over and over.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Lareine posted:

Eagle Eye is an annoying achievement by the fact that it waits until you go into the siege tower to award you the achievement so you think that you somehow didn't get the achievement and end up wasting time trying it over and over.

I stuck around until the King starts his speech at the top of the tower so I don't think that's it. Ah well!

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
The best part of that ballista scene was how Foltest tells you to aim at Etcheverry but you actually have to aim at the wooden platform below him.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

GrossMurpel posted:

The best part of that ballista scene was how Foltest tells you to aim at Etcheverry but you actually have to aim at the wooden platform below him.

Which would be why I miss every time.

Makes sense, though; it's not like a ballista is a precision instrument.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Are the Recommended requirements with all the settings turned way up? My CPU appears to be the only thing that doesn't cut the mustard.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

New trailer has one interesting difference between polish and english version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtEO2xZ7BzQ at 36 second we assume it's Yennefer with "You saw what happened..."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n0EioOYmD0 we hear someone (Triss?) "You see what she did, she might be bigger threat than wild hunt.
I guess Yennefer has her plans, nothing less should be expected of her..

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
A bigger threat to whom? Probably someone who's looking for Ciri?
Also, Polish Geralt doesn't sound remotely grim enough.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

It looked like some kind of ritual. One guess is she tried to sever connection between world from which wild hunt comes and it had unintended consequences, like another conjunction of spheres.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kuS4wLX06Q They released a new story recap.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I really wish they would go back to the awesome paintings they used in Witcher 1 instead of those horrible looking motion comics. That was like the one thing I really hated about Witcher 2.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

I really wish they would go back to the awesome paintings they used in Witcher 1 instead of those horrible looking motion comics. That was like the one thing I really hated about Witcher 2.

Agreed, though I can understand the 'comic' style is probably cheaper than 'paintings'. At least the stuff in that trailer looks better than what we got in 2.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Are oils not supposed to work on the silver sword? All the blade enhancements show up on the steel sword no matter which one I have drawn. I read a reference online to this being a bug that was fixed but I'm on the EE all patched up. Makes it impossible to get the benefit of the monster related oils.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Dick Trauma posted:

Are oils not supposed to work on the silver sword? All the blade enhancements show up on the steel sword no matter which one I have drawn. I read a reference online to this being a bug that was fixed but I'm on the EE all patched up. Makes it impossible to get the benefit of the monster related oils.

Are you actually dragging them onto the silver sword? Double clicking always applies them to the steel sword IIRC.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

GrossMurpel posted:

Are you actually dragging them onto the silver sword? Double clicking always applies them to the steel sword IIRC.

Gahhhh. So many UI failures in this game. Thank you! Now maybe I can kill these wraiths.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

The preachers always blame the Witchers for keeping the monsters at bay. Probably because the preachers often fall into the 'monster' category themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carsius
May 7, 2013

Those required specs are ridiculous. I've been on the same machine for four years, and can run most things at high (or at worst medium,) yet I am nowhere near being able to play it.

I suppose I'll have to put this game on hold for a few months, since upgrades /consoles are out of the question at the moment.

• Locked thread