Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wNiiQpDPJE

I continue my shilling crusade

Keep an eye out for a better quality version, this one doesn't make the game look as good as it really does

Oh god, look at all those crates and boxes that I'm going to have to compulsively loot each and every one of. It's going to take me forever to make any actual progress once I get to this city.

Senjuro fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jun 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
Is there a downside to choosing to release Saskia from her spell over rescuing Triss? Seems like Triss ends up fine either way (thanks Letho!)

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
If you buy The Witcher 1&2 while it's still 80% off they'll cost you 6$. It will also give you an extra 10% off The Witcher 3 which also amounts to 6$. So if you don't have one or both of the previous games yet and you plan on pre-ordering The Witcher 3 then they're practically free right now.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
Killing Letho is just pointless at the very end. The damage is already done, killing him won't change anything. Whatever he did it wasn't out of any malice towards Geralt, he even took care of Yennefer for him and rescues Triss if you don't (although it is his fault she needed to be rescued in the first place).

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
Comte de Saint-Germain, will the GOG version of The Witcher 3 have something equivalent to Steam Cloud? It's the only thing keeping me from pre-ordering on GOG instead of Steam.

Senjuro fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jul 25, 2014

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
Heels. Always got to have heels even when the character is supposed to be a fighter. This is going to annoy me to no end.

Senjuro fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Aug 17, 2014

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Pwnstar posted:

Those are riding boots I think.

Not quite. They're a fair bit higher and less practical.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

Did you guys just miss my post about how Ciri has story reasons for liking nice, fashionable clothing even if it may not be entirely perfect for fighting in? Calm down.

Hopefully it's a better reason than this:

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
The thing with the heels is that they're there solely to add sexiness at the cost of practicality. Foltest's impractical costume projects power and wealth. Between Ciri's cleavage, corset and heels, what does her costume project?
It's a dumb design trope that is far too common and it's a shame because it's so unnecessary and easily avoidable.

Senjuro fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 17, 2014

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

The Sharmat posted:

The armor they keep showing Geralt in has chiseled pecs. What does that project?

Power.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Roshnak posted:

Sure, but there are way worse problems in this series with regards to the portrayal of women than this one character's outfit. This particular complaint just seems silly by comparison.

Like, if you're willing to overlook all that other stuff, why not do the same with this significantly less bad thing?

No doubt that there are bigger problems but I'm still annoyed by the little things because they're so easy to fix and avoid.

Senjuro fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 17, 2014

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Roshnak posted:

The other problems aren't any harder to fix or avoid, either. They may even be easier, since they are so much more obvious.

Tropes make it easier to write a story, even if they don't make it better so I can at least understand the reasoning behind it. Giving a character normal boots to wear doesn't require any extra work.

The Sharmat posted:

I wouldn't say plenty. I think they handled female characters quite well, especially by video game standards. Plenty of the prime movers of the plot are powerful women.

And so much of it is undone just by Triss alone. The constant nudity, the kidnapping, the general helplessness, literally being turned into an object, etc.

Senjuro fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 17, 2014

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

The Sharmat posted:

She's nude twice. This is to be expected when you're the lover of the main character.

Plus she spent all the last game being a major player so running into some trouble in the second game doesn't seem gratuitous to me. Especially since they early on establish that she's more powerful than Geralt when she saves him and Roche from the Scoia'tael.

Three times. When the spell that turned her into a figurine is reversed she's naked again even though she still had her clothes as a figurine. That's kind of the definition of gratuitous. With all her power she had to be carried to safety by Roche. Her outfit was fairly reasonable, I'll give CDP that much.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

The Sharmat posted:

I'm just saying it's a plot heavy game and all the female character are apparently reprehensible, seems like that would make it hard to enjoy.

The good still outweighs the bad, massively. I'm pre-ordering The Witcher 3 and I would even pre-order Cyberpunk 2077 if I could. CDP is good at what they do but it doesn't mean they're perfect or that I can't criticize aspects of the game while enjoying the whole.

at the date posted:

I looked really hard for cleavage (trust me) but I couldn't find any. Could you point it out to me?

Perhaps boob window is a better term?

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

Also the sorceresses are crazy amazingly beautiful because of magical manipulation and use their looks to their advantage. They're going to look crazy sexy because it's a sign of their power/wealth. Sorcerers are less into the vanity and more into pure power, though there are a few in the novels that are just as vain with their appearances.

As far as Ciri, for a good long while she was a member of a troop of thieves who were known for wearing the very best clothing. They all came from nothing and wanted the very best, so they thieved and got the very best.

I really hate how tropes are deemed bad or unusable sometimes. So, someone is a damsel in distress. Well that's lovely writing and misogynistic, etc. Well what if that's what's needed in the narrative? A character is a woman, so they can never be taken captive? To do stark generalizations of tropes, you fail to look at the narrative situation and just see the story as either bad or good due to the parts its made out of. Basically, don't generalize and take each case as their own.

In this instance, I don't really know. Triss is a powerful sorceress with some hangups (magical allergies) who probably really doesn't need saving. But at the same time, she can be a bit naive and trusting, leading her into some bad situations. And being "packaged" into a statue kinda renders one impossible to act. That's not a game created thing, it happens in the novels as well.

Tropes are tropes because they're overused. If the ideas that are overused are sexist or misogynistic and whatnot then what does it say about our media and culture? Even if you don't care about any of that then at the very least they should be avoided as much as possible simply because they're lazy and unoriginal writing.

Senjuro fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Aug 17, 2014

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

COOKIEMONSTER posted:

I think it's ridiculous that Geralt(who appears shirtless many times) and is considered to be a great fighter but has long white hair. Which is the opposite of helpful in a fight as it both makes it easier to spot him(due to white being a contrasting color) and represents a real danger because it can be grabbed in a fight. I can't believe that in this day and age the misandrists are still making it impossible to have a male lead in a videogame who doesn't have long sexy hair like a rockstar; even when it clearly doesn't fit the characters fighter prowess.

If you don't see the difference between what you wrote and what was discussed earlier then I can see how you earned your red text.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

BBJoey posted:

Please try not to be offended by a joke on the somethingawful dot com games subforum.

The thing is that people often try to make such arguments completely seriously so it's a bit hard to tell sometimes. If it was meant as a joke then my bad V:shobon:V

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
If anyone is planning on upgrading their GPU for this game (I know I am) then it would probably be wise to wait a bit more because the Nvidia Geforce 800 series should be out before the end of the year, maybe even as soon as next month.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

COOKIEMONSTER posted:

If you make the wrong decisions in Mass Effect 2 it becomes impossible to save both the Quarians and the Geth in Mass Effect 3. You are forced to genocide one because of carried over variables, potentially causing Tali to kill herself because of your incompetence. I think Mass Effect gets a lot more flack for their choice/decision system than they deserve, especially considering they were tracking something like 5000 different variables.

In ME it's also completely obvious which choice will lead to which result. You want to be the good guy? No problem, just pick the paragon option every time and you'll never regret it. In The Witcher things are a lot less clear and much more morally ambiguous. Not to mention that one choice in The Witcher 2 changes a whole third of the game.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
I'm probably very much in the minority but the open world is the part I'm least excited about in the game and it's a shame so many resources are going towards it. I'd prefer a linear but more polished game every time.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
What exactly are the rules and limits of magic in this world? Why do kings bother gathering huge armies when it only takes a few people to annihilate them with meteor showers?

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The last time someone tried that she freaked out her own commander so much he had her burned at the stake.

And the time before that, I think led to the massacre of the Sorcerors on their own private island.

GrossMurpel posted:

The Northern monarchs don't like mages because they're basically grey eminences and in Nilfgaard being a mage means you're basically a servant

But public reactions aside, do the books put any limits on magic? I mean does magic put a strain on the caster or are there any physical laws that even magic can't break or can a talented sorcerer become like Dr. Manhattan?

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Dilber posted:

The games show a limit on magic. After using a bunch of it, Triss either gets incredibly weak or starts bleeding.

Which always seemed a bit odd to me. It was just one not very big or flashy shield spell and suddenly she can barely stand up. Other times we see her teleport without breaking a sweat.

Senjuro fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
Playing Dragon Age Inquisition makes me worry about The Witcher 3. The open world is large and pretty but mostly full of repetitive activities and meaningless fetch quests. Really hope CDPR haven't done the same.

• Locked thread