Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
The game-breaking bugs (that only occur with pre-EE savegames) have to deal with wheels that you rotate with mini-QTEs. There are at least two I know of--one in the prologue for the gate, and one in Act II on Iorvith's path.

CDPR say to use a save game prior to the act that they occur in to avoid the issue--so if you have a Iorvith-path saved game you'll want to rewind back to the end of Act I if you can. They may/may not be able to put in a fix.

New games are unaffected.

Edit: What's this "fatigue" system that I've seen mentioned?

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Apr 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

FrickenMoron posted:

So how difficult is "Dark" really? I've finished the game once on normal a few months ago and am wondering if I should just start a new dark difficulty game for a second EE run.

Did quen get nerfed hard? It was my main crutch to get through difficult fights really.

If you've only played normal, it'll be a good challenge for you.

Nekkers can kill you on Dark, especially from behind. I know you see "approach each fight to avoid damage" but on Dark it's especially true...it's also a good idea to always walk around outside doped up (standard load for me is Swallow/Rook/Petre's Philtre), and meditate/drink more if it wears off.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Haha what, THAT'S how the difficulty of opponents is adjusted in dice poker?? Well, I guess this is a world of magic so I guess it shouldn't have surprised me. What kind of lunatic would even challenge someone to a game of chance in a world that's full of magic lucky talismans and stuff?

edit: speaking of dice poker, is there any kind of formal organization for it in chapter 1? Who do I need to beat in order to challenge the guy who has the troll head?

Two guys in the tavern (by the fistfights) then the third guy there will play you, then you can play the dwarf bookstore owner, then you can play trollheadguy.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Yeah, I miss the alchemy system from the first game too. Even without having to scrounge up top-shelf liquor for bases, the second "synergy" property of the various materials lent it more depth.

All albedo, all the time.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Fuzz posted:

Total aside, but all the bitching about Bioware is a little excessive, considering that for Mass Effect they literally had to concoct an entire fleshed out universe instead of just using an existing IP. A universe that was interesting, engaging, and had some depth. That's not that easy to do, yet everyone is all "RAWR BIOWARE SUCKS." Kinda getting old.

That said, Dragon Age was boring and lovely.

I think you're missing the point about the Bioware complaints: pretty sure most/all of the complainers would agree the universe and general story are well done and engaging. Where it stumbles or falls is in the game mechanics and ham-handed "choice" options you get....and of course that terrible ending. If their game worlds were flat and uninteresting they'd get wholly dismissed as crap subpar efforts and forgotten.

They also have the most directly comparable series to The Witcher in terms of genre, so using them as the bar/foil is inevitable and should come as no surprise to see it driven into the ground...mostly because the Witcher series compares that much more favorably.

Edit: ^The quest is totally optional, and you don't need to fight him if you do go see him. That said, for the Roche path you DO need to if you want to craft some of the endgame items (especially on Dark).

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Apr 27, 2012

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Lycus posted:

Deithwen's description might as well read "Strong against Chapter 3". As silver swords go, it's really all you need as soon as you pick it up.

And its available for free at the start of Ch 3 (arachas are such pushovers)!

Not sure why they did that, but its quite helpful.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Oh hey, new patch: http://en.thewitcher.com/patch3-1/

quote:

1.Fixed the display of inter-chapter movies in aspect ratios other than 16:9.
2.Fixed bugs causing the application to close while opening the credits.
3.Relevant Aspect Ratio options are shown in the Configurator.exe if nVidia Surround is supported.
4.Game saves from Act 2 created on older versions of the game are now compatible with the Enhanced Edition, which fixes the dwarven mechanism in Vergen.
5.Added a fix for .NET Framework 4-related issues for the Steam users.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Maelin posted:

This talk of videos not playing properly on 16:10 displays (like mine) makes me worry I might have missed some during my current playthrough (I didn't finish Act 2 last time, and have been holding off giving the game another go until EE). I'm currently halfway through Act 1. Will I have missed any of the videos?

There is one video transitioning from the prologue to Act 1. You probably saw a black screen and heard Dandelion give a voiceover. The bug/error was that the sound would play (the voiceover) but you wouldn't see the animation unless you were in 16:9.

There was also a new opening cinematic for the game (the letho/demawend encounter), but I don't think that was similarly affected.
e:fb like a flotsam elf.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Owlkill posted:

Had a cursory check of the first and last few pages of this thread and haven't seen this mentioned - basically, I'm having an issue where the game CTDs when trying to start a game.

I launch the game, get to the main menu and try to start a new game. The loading screen comes up, loads, then just straight crashes to desktop. No error message or anything. I'm running the game on Windows 7 64 bit, I was able to play the non-EE Witcher 2 fine - it just seems to have started since I got the enhanced edition.

Try the patch; the aspect ratio thing might not be playing well with your drivers.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

And probably has 100% less "Aaaaaaaadum" which will be of great relief.

I'd love the character of Sarif a lot more if he was voiced less annoyingly.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Toiwat posted:

It's less a matter of prior experience (the combat system from the first game is just too different for it to be relevant), and more of that part just being a bitch. I still have trouble telling when it's safe from the fire or not, and even on normal it's a quick kill if you get caught in it.

One thing's marginally better now - before the first patch, the dragon bit was one of the choices you could pick while being interrogated by Roche. Hello new player NOW BURN :v:

That was literally my first experience with the game. To add insult to injury, I always do my first playthroughs on "hardest" so I was playing insanity.

"Oh, nice dungeon...ok, I'll play nice with this guy...ooh, dragon! Lets see that. OHGODI'MONFIRE...gently caress. What just happened?"

Backed down to merely "hard" after that.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Also, stay out of sword range unless he is actively stunned. And even then, get 1-2 hits in and then roll back/away. Knives work great since they are quick-throw; bombs work well. Quickfire aard can also be a good tactic, but its tricky to land without his sending one back at you.

Stay out of sword range, but don't go too far back--he will also chuck bombs and knives and signs at you if you're at range. Be ready to dodge to either side at a moment's notice to dodge a sign.

Edit: also, before you climb up to the ledge with the elf, meditate and chug potions and oil up your sword. Even if you watch most of the cinematic (which you should skip through after you've watched it once) you'll still have a few minutes, and health regen is a tremendous asset.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jun 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Latest patch is out--adds many of the most common mods into the game.

quote:

Patch 3.2 is a UI modification for the PC version of The Witcher 2 Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition. The mod adds the following enhancements to the game. It can be used optionally (enabled by default) by players when installed. You can disable it in Configurator DLC Menu.
1.Minimap: Adds a north arrow.
2.Alchemy: Crafting slots show how many ingredients there are; better default ingredient selection (e.g., not having to filter out quest item ingredients all the time); un-rotates alchemy element symbols; saves custom ingredient selection for a formula (until you close the panel or go to another formula, but no longer resetting every time you create something).
3.Tooltips: Taller, and scroll faster.
4.Inventory/Trading/Storage: Sorting buttons (sort by time acquired, name, aggregate weight, aggegrate price.) Reversible sort also possible.
5.Trading: Places a checkmark next to books, formulas, and crafting diagrams that you already have in your inventory.
6.Crafting: Shows how many items you have instead of capping the number at how many are required. E.g., 30/3 instead of 3/3.
7.Other: Sorts some lists alphabetically: crafting, alchemy, elixirs.

• Locked thread