Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Vertigus posted:

Save and reload.

Chance games in The Witcher series literally amount to a difficult opponent being 10x more likely to get the best possible hand.
Basically, everybody but Geralt cheats at dice poker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

coyo7e posted:

Okay I feel really stupid but I cannot figure out how to make Places of Power work. I did the tutorial once and now I seem to be unable to activate them.
Activate your wolf medallion and walk into the red sparkly area that appears.

coyo7e posted:

Also, what's the little white star on the tip of my vitality bar, that flashes now and then? Some kind of hidden item indicator?
You've leveled up. Go into the Character screen and spend your skill point.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

It's generally recommended that you wait on mutagens until you get some "greater" ones. Don't use "lesser" or the middle ones.

And if you're gonna go for an Alchemist spec, then you should definitely wait until you get the skill that strengthens mutagens.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

It's not tricky at all, so I'm sure you're the one with the bloodlust. :black101:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: does anyone remember the sequence off-hand to get La Valette to surrender?
You ask him to surrender. He scoffs. You ask him to surrender again. That's it, swords are dropped.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Yeah, your computer looks similar to what I had last year when I first bought the game, and 1920x1080 was definitely not playable for me. I'm surprised that you were able to do it before.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

GhostDog posted:

So I'm playing Witcher 2 for the first time, on the 360, and I have a hunch that this shouldn't be happening: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9A5S1DaVzM4

Right?
Heh, I've seen that bug before but, yeah, that's not supposed to happen.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I went Iorveth's Path my first time. I knew the split was coming and I was 99% sure I was going to go with Roche, but I quickly changed my mind after what I did at the shrine:

I knocked out Iorveth. I thought it was the smart thing to do since this was a really bad time for two of my allies to start trying to kill each other, so I decided to end the fight quickly. But I felt really bad about it when I was told that Iorveth was being taken to the non-human prison, and wanted to rescue him. Also, I was a little miffed that Roche wanted me to do his thing instead of leaving to find Letho and Triss immediately (since I got the party, I didn't hate Laredo enough to want to go kill him).

Lycus fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 23, 2012

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

GoldenNugget posted:

Man, should I go back and do Roche's path for my first playthrough then? Iorveth's path is pretty neat though.
No, don't do that. Stick with your own choices. Whichever way you do it, it's always less fun if you're only doing what other people tell you to do.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Donny posted:

I disagree. Helping Iorveth and causing the town to burn allows you to rescue a comely elf girl, who will be extremely grateful to Geralt later on. :smug:
That always happens on Iorveth's Path regardless of whether you get the party or the massacre.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

GoldenNugget posted:

Alright I'll stick with it then :).

Also, did I lose out on my chance to get a bad rear end tattoo from getting overly drunk? I just started Chapter 2.
Yeah, unfortunately, you missed it.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Davos posted:

Honestly, did anyone actually save her?
On Iorveth's Path, I let her die because I was pissed that Phillipa got away and someone in the Lodge had to pay for what they were doing to Saskia.

In my second playthrough on Roche's Path, most of my hate was for the Kaedweni leaders, not the Lodge. So I went ahead and saved her. If I recall, she repays you by telling you that Yennefer is alive and in Nilfgaard (same info you can get from Letho later anyway).

Lycus fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 24, 2012

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Jetfire posted:

As far as horrifying moments go, Roche's path has it won with (pretty big spoiler) walking into the tent filled with hanging Blue Stripes whereas when I played Iorveth's path last time Dethmold's end was incredibly boring. Nothing like Roche carving his junk into a vagina in the middle of his BDSM session. Seriously, night and day there.
Roche's Path is definitely darker. I always liked the summation of: Iorveth's Path is more epic, while Roche's Path is darker and more dramatic.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Lotish posted:

So I've got the game to play tolerably well, and had a general gameplay question: Should I save up armor enhancements for particular good gear or just throw it into whatever I have on?
There's no need to save them, really. The only particular enhancement that's truly rare is the one you make out of kayran parts. Hell, you can buy a diagram for one of the all-around best ones in Chapter 1, and make as many as you'll ever need. Go ahead and use 'em.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Apr 24, 2012

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Yeah, I'm a little confused by this fire thing. It sounds like you're under the impression that you need fires to meditate. If that's what you're saying, then I think you're thinking of Dark Souls. In Witcher 2, you can mediate anywhere as long as there's no enemies around.

VVV Ahh, I see.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Apr 24, 2012

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I always hated Cat potions because I couldn't see the lights from my wolf medallion, making looting harder.

And I must have my monitor set brighter than other people, because the game never seemed dark enough for me to feel like I needed them.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Chapter 3 is fairly similar no matter which side you spent chapter 2 on, right?
I wouldn't say that. Same location and same final boss. But there's another major decision to be made, and the degree to which the rest of it is different from what you can possibly do on the other path depends on what you choose.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Mr Asshat posted:

Roche or Iorveth?
Who should i pick in terms of content, i have managed to avoid having any part of the plot of this game spoiled to me but i have heard that this choice has a pretty big influence on where you go in the game.
I am not big on replaying games, so i will not be playing through it again to pick another path.
I kind of like both characters and their motives so the morality part is just a coin toss, i just want to get as much as possible out of my playthrough.
So angry turban guy or elven scarface?
Both paths are awesome. Just go with your heart, man. Go with your heart.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Where's the universal stash in henselt's camp?
It's not in Henselt's camp. It's in the Camp Followers' camp. If I recall, it's by a dwarf merchant there.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Burns posted:

Regarding endrega and arachas: why are there two separate oils?
Insectoid oil increases damage to endrega and arachas. Arachnid oil poisons your sword.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I think Siminu knows that you don't have to fight him. Some people do it because they don't need the re-spec and just want the challenge. You can still can dread it even if it's voluntary.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 27, 2012

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Flumpus posted:

Speaking of voluntary fights, what's the Letho fight like at the end? I didn't do it in my first playthrough, because I just didn't feel like it was necessary to kill him. I'm still not sure if I want to do it this second time around, but am curious if it's any harder (maybe he's been leveling up this whole time too).
Since you're a lot more spec'd out in your chosen combat style, it's definitely easier than the first fight.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Cthulu Carl posted:

OK, the Little Sisters quest in Chapter 2 - what the gently caress am I supposed to do?

I get to the beach with Mavrick just before midnight (usually around 2300) like the in-game journal and quest handbook say, stand at the freaking marker on the map and... nothing ever happens.

Am I getting there too early? Too late? I'm sick of standing there with Crapper all night.
Try going to the beach at any time and then meditating there until 2300.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Ahh, that quest. It provided the line that probably gave me the biggest laugh in the game: "loving idiot actually went in!"

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Torsade de Pointes posted:

Is it still possible to do the quest From a Bygone Era? The one where you find a manuscript that leads you to the Operator in Loc Muinne if you take Iorveth's path? I remember doing it before, but the cellar is locked this time and I can't find a key for it.
Yes it is. Which part are you having trouble with? Remember, you have to use Aard to get into the cellar, and the candle sequence to open the secret room.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Torsade de Pointes posted:

I used aard to get rid of the barrels, but the door to the cellar with the candles just says locked and it won't open.
Well, there's definitely no key, I can tell you that. I'm not sure what's wrong, you should be able to go down after you clear the barrels.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 28, 2012

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I doubt that. It doesn't make any sense for them to do that. Maybe you guys are hitting the same bug.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Just started Witcher 1. Haha, that old cliche of the eager green recruit who goes with you and gets killed in his first real fight is everywhere. As soon as you meet him, you know exactly what's coming.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Red Mundus posted:

Okay gently caress this, this is ridiculous.

I'm in act 2 hunting harpies and I have no idea why they don't take the bait.

I read all the books on harpies and maxed out my knowledge of them but not one takes the bait. Actually, one did take the bait but the counter never went up and I'm stuck on 4/7.
Hint: Only four of the nests are outside.

More specific hint: You'll need to progress with one of the main story quests in order to enter the area where the remaining three nests are located.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 29, 2012

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Capsaicin posted:

Are there any penalties to going into houses and looting them completely? Like is someone gonna get pissed over me stealing their 9 orens or whatever? I'm realizing that there isn't a lot of money to be had so far in the game (I'm at Floatsam), and now everything is just getting kinda overwhelming.
Nope, no penalties.

Capsaicin posted:

Where the gently caress do I get my silver sword back? :(
Hint: You missed a bright orange glow right after you got off the ship.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

homerlaw posted:

I just got to Act 2 on Iorveth's path, what armor and weapons should I be going for?
I go for the Armor of Ban Ard, because I think it looks awesome. (You don't have to buy it though, you can find it later on in the chapter.)

Eponymous posted:

I'm in act 1, and have a bunch of stuff in storage with the innkeeper. Will I be able to access the same items from other locations, or do I need to clear it out before I move on in the game?
Everything is automatically moved to the next chapter's storage chest.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 29, 2012

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Red Mundus posted:

Man the Royal blood quest is just brutal.

Act 2 Iorveth spoilers for Royal Blood

I honestly had no loving idea what to do with that quest. I accidentally talked to the wrong person which apparently screws you over into obtaining all the evidence.

Hell, my decision was based on complete speculation. I kind of wished CDProjekt gave you some wiggle room so I could at LEAST talk to the servant and hear his side. Overall though I chose Stennis. When he told me Saska was just common rabble and a peasant it kind of made me realize he was a douche and probably did her in so he wouldn't have to deal with her later on. Feels kind of out of character for him though as killing her AFTER the battle would probably be better and he seems extremely dependent on her to keep his army in check. Killing her now seems like a really stupid move on his part. Maybe I chose wrong?

If you would like to know what really happened:

Olcan, the priest that died in the beginning of the chapter, is the one that poisoned Saskia. He set the plan in motion before they left for the meeting with the Kaedwenis. However, he told Stennis everything. Stennis could've stopped it, but chose not to because he would ultimately benefit from her death.

That doesn't mean it's the "right" choice to let the peasants lynch him though. There's reasons to stop it even if he deserves to die. It's purely your decision.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Capsaicin posted:

Where do I "learn" about enemies? I picked up the quests on the notice board and it says to learn about them. Where is the library in Floatsam?
There's a dwarf bookseller who sells the monster books. His house is near the dwarf blacksmith.

Edit: Also, note that when you read a monster book in your inventory, you'll only see the first paragraph of the text, and it's mostly just lore. After you "read" the book, go into your Knowledge screen to see the rest of it, where you'll find the combat tips and hints on completing contracts.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 29, 2012

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

folgore posted:

And there's really no clear "right" answer to the Royal Blood thing unless you already know what happens later in the third chapter. turns out there's no nuance to Stennis and he's as much of a dick as you were lead to believe. His refusal to give blood should've been a huge flag to me, but I defended his right to a trial anyway.
Personally, (spoilers for stuff later on in Chapter 2; don't read this, Red Mundus) I like stopping the lynching only because I really love tricking Henselt into giving you his blood.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Apr 29, 2012

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

evilmiera posted:

What reason is there, if you don't mind me asking? Besides there being less of a squabble for who should be king or help lead the local armies
When I talked to the peasants, they made me really nervous. There was a strong implication that after unleashing their rage on Stennis and booting the nobles that, without Saskia's leadership, they would eventually turn on the non-humans. I figured that halting their bloodlust now would help keep things calmer in the long run. And the dwarves really just wanted the peace kept. My heart is with the dwarves first and foremost.

Also, Stennis alive leads to a more stable Aedirn, which is better for the upcoming war.

MC2552John posted:

gently caress REALLY?
Heh, you went back and picked up all your crap before moving on, didn't you?

Lycus fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 29, 2012

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

The worst part about Witcher 1 is forcing myself to stop trying to fight as if I'm playing Witcher 2. I breezed through the Prologue on Hard just fine, but because my fingers slipped back into Witcher 2 mode, the dogs at the beginning of Chapter 1 absolutely annhilated me the first time.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh...well, I didn't know that she was in on it from that early a time, coming from the Roche side before. The only reason I knew Saskia was a dragon before was because my friend who was playing it at the same time as me on the Iorveth path blabbed about it accidentally, since he didn't know that wasn't revealed in the Roche path.

Speaking of Saskia, when you fight her in the prologue to chapter 2 on the Roche side, she was a complete pushover, and I couldn't figure out if that was an important plot element or just because the game was going easy on you because you're controlling a guest character. Is she actually good at fighting?
It was going easy on you. (Later in Chapter 2 of Iorveth's Path): She's just as invincible as any companion when you're off killing Kaedwenis together.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Red Mundus posted:

Holy poo poo the final act 2 boss is so bad it has completely destroyed any loving desire I have of playing this game. It's so atrociously bad that no amount of free content could ever redeem CDProjekt from this abortion of a boss battle.

I'm stunned this ever made it into the game, surely SOMEONE had to have played this and warned the devs how bad it is. I'm willing to forgive them the possessed soldier battles because at least with riposte you can cheese it but this? Nothing is redeemable. The trebuchet's impossible to avoid fireballs, the bosses enormous attack range, dying putting you within inches of him and getting a free hit on you that can kill you in one hit, etc. I'm spamming maxed Quen which helps but even then my vigor is bound to run out and between the massive weapon strikes and fireballs the size of cars I lose the battle of attrition.

*edit* and I just discovered he can hit you through Quen. That a bug?
Have you tried Yrden?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Seriously, I Yrden'd him on Hard and took him down with strong strikes in a flash. He's a wimp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I think sign intensity increases whatever a sign does: damage, duration, special effect chances, etc.

I imagine it increases the duration of Yrden at least, but I have no idea it affects snare chances. Maybe. But in any event, when I last fought that boss, I was using a Swordsman spec and Yrden worked on him just fine.

• Locked thread