Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I can't read it in the original polish, but I think that the big part of the bad writing in Witcher 1 is a combination of bad localization and that the writing team was writing for a fan-audience, so a bunch of the events of the first chapter only even make any sense if you read the books.
Just a heads-up that while the series isn't translated into English - it was released in several other languages. So for people who know Spanish/French/German - you can read the whole series professionally translated.

Spanish edition also has some pretty cool covers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Mickey McKey posted:

Why hasnt it been translated to English yet? :psyduck:
To be completely fair the writing style of the books is pretty original. It's not your usual fantasy author as he really likes to play with words, style, vocabulary etc. which is the reason why the series became so popular as people who don't even like fantasy appreciate it very much. This means a skilled translator is needed so that the books don't get gutted and from what I've read of the English translation (only the short stories though) they're definitely lacking in that department. So basically more effort than usual is needed which makes it more difficult?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood had the best dungeons in any game :colbert:. Of course it's a completely different genre but they were all vast, custom made and fun to go through.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

PureRok posted:

I just got a mod that made all of the crafting stuff weigh nothing, as I feel it should be in all games with crafting and weight systems. But then, I'm not really a fan of weight systems at all.
Yeah, I mod literally every RPG to have infinite weight if possible. I don't really like managing inventory or even having any sort of lair/chest system you travel to etc. I prefer going nomad and having contents of a small castle carried with me at all times. It just doesn't bring me any joy - I would drop excellent games like Witcher 2, New Vegas or Skyrim if I couldn't mod them into weightless loot.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Burns posted:

In one of the books Geralt states that he hates beards because they irritate his skin.
The game is pretty much an interpretation of Geralt and not how he really is in the books though.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Leb posted:

If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say that the line was phrased that way for the benefit of the audience (!!dramatic effect!!) and in fact, what she deserves will be her birthright, the Empire.
That's exactly what I understood too. The quote is taken out of context for drama but you can see he means giving her the throne. An amazing trailer by the way.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Rdubs posted:

The books clearly describe her scar as "disfiguring" and visible from a distance but I had to look hard to see the scratch she had. Her hair is also supposed to be "ashen blonde", and the hair in the clip looked a lot more weathered, but then again it's years later and she's been through hell. I'm surprised in general - not in a bad way - that they made reference to Ciri front and center; while maybe most people who played Witcher 2 know who Yennefer is, Ciri has barely had a mention in the games. That's incredible fan service.

I wonder if she's still a virgo or if she let Galahad give it to her after riding off with him in the 5th book. In the non-canon Something Ends, Something Begin, Gallahad makes an appearance there too and Ciri seems drawn to him. If I recall the prophecy deals more with her son being of importance than her being a virgin. Anyway, she looks great in that clip.
Your obsession with who 'got the dicking' and who you'd like to gently caress in the Witcher universe that you go into in every post on this page is loving creepy.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Rdubs posted:

Glad to know two off-cuff posts is all it takes to classify as an "obsession." Will try to keep it down to one creepy post per page, that might just keep it at the "troubling" level.
Cool. If you stop sharing your dicking dilemmas, virginity dilemmas, who you would gently caress as your genie wish and how you see sex references where they don't exist all on one page you'll be a better poster. Glad I could help.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Rinkles posted:

Man, you work at a cool place. (Warsaw notwithstanding (it's not that dreary))
Warsaw is pretty cool to live in actually. It's not a beautiful city but the city life makes up for it.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Things changed a lot in Warsaw. I lived there for a few months not that long ago and it's just fantastic how many new cool places have been created in the last few years. Night life really owns.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Taking Eurovision entries as a gauge of anything is hilarious.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

ElectricWizard posted:

Heads up that for the next 10 hours, Kinguin are selling Witcher 3 preorders for €25, or around $28.

http://www.kinguin.net/category/3849/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-pre-order-steam-key/

I picked up X-Com for a buck and received the key instantly, so I assume they're trustworthy.
Shows up as €31,50 = $35.50 to me.

Edit: Nevermind, I only now noticed your posts's date lol.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Previews all over the place, not gonna even bother linking them.

OP plz?
The OP is depressed and won't bother either.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

If we get combat directly from Witcher 2 then the game will be already lightyears ahead of Skyrim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

It's really hard to me to compare the Witcher books with Game of Thrones because the Witcher series is written in such a specific meaty style and plays with the Polish language so much that it's basically untranslatable while being a major part of the appeal. GoT is written fairly normally in comparison.

For example Dandelion is such a hilarious character in the books mainly due to the language used to describe his actions and loses most of his humor when you simply show the guy in the game and make him tell jokes.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jan 27, 2015

• Locked thread