Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nessin
Feb 7, 2010

wellwhoopdedooo posted:

Turn vsync on. It won't increase your FPS, but if you don't have an FPS counter you'll think it did.

It was really counter-intuitive to me, and I only turned it on in desperation because AFAIK they don't implement swap-tear (google "swap-tear extension") and I don't get 60 FPS except in especially uncomplicated scenes, but it makes a world of difference. If I have it off, even in places where it goes up to 70 FPS and more, I get weird hitching, and it ends up about as playable as if I was getting 20 FPS.

It's especially weird because vsync by definition lowers FPS, or in an absolutely perfect implementation would at best not lower it, but give it a shot.

FPS is also terrible in the prologue and arena. Much more complex scenes in the real game do a lot better.

It makes perfect sense when you actually think about what FPS is, and what vsync does, rather than throwing the term out there as a measurement of more is better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread