Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

JohnnyBigPotatoes posted:

In my last game I did up to the Yorveth/Roach choice and went with the elf. Time constraints stopped me finishing it but now I fancy doing Flotsam and then siding with Roache, is there a decent amount of content I haven't yet seen if I go this route to justify doing all of Flotsam again?

Have you lost your saves? If you have one towards the end of Flotsam (and you're satisfied with your prologue choices), I'd start there, since I don't recall any massive branches before the choice of whether or not to give Iorveth his sword. I'd recommend finishing the Iorveth path if you can, though, because I picked it first and it is clearly better in every way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Did anything really great come out of the modding tools for Witcher 1? It feels like the Witcher series should have a devout fanbase of nerds who churn out good mods. But I've never heard of Witcher mods being a thing like, say, Elder Scrolls mods (obviously a lot more popular series but still).

I think I remember a few. I don't think the tools were nearly as good as REDkit is promising to be, though.

Sped-up video of making a basic environment and quest in 23 minutes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-CEQFvsiTs

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

There's something that's been bugging me about Witcher 2. Letho mentions that he (or someone did it for him) turned Triss into a statue at some point so she wouldn't run away, but no one really bats an eye at that. Is that a common thing in The Witcher? It kind of threw me for a loop, especially since once you see her there's no mention of it again.

Did you do Roche's path? I think you get less information than you would in Iorveth's.

It's not common, but it is a doable spell, especially since Phillipa's assistant (?- I forget who, exactly, did it) took Triss by surprise. It's also incredibly painful, particularly getting turned back into a live person.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

pentyne posted:

If they're following the books, the next major arc will probably be tracking down Yennefer, learning what the Wild Hunt is. After that there is such a massive amount of available plot to work with its impossible to know. Maybe the author will even write something new for them to base the game on. He works pretty closely with the CD Projeckt Reed staff if I recall.

Hm? Witcher books have been released since 2007? I thought that they just ended with Geralt dying.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

They've said PC comes first and all that but it seems difficult to produce a game for multiple platforms at the same time while making one version radically different in regards to graphical quality (assuming Playstation 4 and next-gen xbox aren't going to total beasts).

I'm reeeeeally happy that the PS4 is apparently, basically, a PC architecture (normal CPU) with 8 gigs of RAM (more than... sixteen times what the last generation had, at minimum?). It should actually be very easy to develop simultaneously without compromising anything, which is nice.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Coughing Hobo posted:

I don't know how necessary increased carry weight will be with this incoming mod, but currently having more to carry really just means less trucking back to a merchant every couple of minutes.

This. Carry weight is a fairly unimportant mechanic in TW2 (I.E. you'll never have to choose between important items / "What can I afford to bring with me to spaceland?", and Inventory never weighs in on the story beyond "Geralt keeps supplied with potions and bombs"). I was fine with the default inventory size, so if you find it hurts your immersion, the default won't frustrate you.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

They can't, carrying all those ingredients. Forty sharpening stones are heavy.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Raneman posted:

One thing I'm concerned about concerning the open world in TW3 is level scaling. I don't want any of it. Will monsters be made tougher as the game goes on, or simply not appear until you are a certain level? It's what really bothers me about other open world RPGs.

There's no scaling. I forget how they were going to handle it, though.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

User0015 posted:

Is there any tips on Parrying and how to get it to work in Dark Mode? Or any tips for surviving in Dark Mode period?

Parrying only really works when you get the relevant stuff from the Swordsman tree. I went Magic my first time through and spent most of the game rolling around.

My advice for surviving in Dark Mode is, uh, don't. It really is just for people who've beaten the game two or three times.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

I thought humanity would mostly go on as before, just with the Grandmaster presiding over them with an army of Greater Brothers?

Naah, I think the idea was everyone completely mutated.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

ManOfTheYear posted:

Is Witcher 2 enough reason to buy an 360? My PC sucks and a 360 is just 100 euroes.

It is, but I'd just hold out until you can get a better PC. That would also let you play TW3, and import a save.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

36 different endings will probably be similar to the Witcher 2 where [character] is wearing a different coloured shirt for otherwise identical cutscenes, or something.

They advertised that The Witcher 2 would have eight endings, right? So if TW2 effectively had three endings, then TW3 should have approximately thirteen endings!

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Demiurge4 posted:

I had forgotten how horrific the pogrom against the mages and sorcerers is

I didn't remember it being that bad. Then I played through it with the Enhanced Edition :ohdear:

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

Well Iorveth outright says that would be incredibly stupid.

Now I feel silly, because when I played through that segment all I could think was "Hold up, Geralt did it wrong!" I assumed CDP just didn't have time to make an animation for the heart-stabbing, so it's actually pretty cool that it can play as disregarding Philippa's instructions.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Riso posted:

There's already a GOT RPG. The story is supposed to be decent but the gameplay is a bit clunky.

I liked it. Gameplay-wise it's pretty much The Witcher 1.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

You mean clunky combat that is both overly complicated yet somehow tediously simple?

Oh, I didn't mean I thought it was good combat, just that it doesn't weigh down the story much.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Lycus posted:

The Wild Hunt is explained in entirety in Witcher 2's Epilogue.

You can also pick up details during the Gargoyle Contract in Loc Muinne.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Slashrat posted:

Since the existence of other worlds got mentioned, can somebody more knowledgeable than me summarize the Witcher universe's creation myth? All I remember from it ingame is bits about there being multiple worlds that interacted in the past.

You're thinking about the Conjunction Of The Spheres. A few worlds rammed together, which is why there are so many really disparate creatures, stuff like Ghouls that have no ecological niche, magic in general, etc... It's a recorded historical event and there are books on it in-game, but some stuff is disputed and everything before it is vague beyond "grand elven/dwarf civilizations, humans may or may not have destroyed their own world." And the Conjunction is when Humans showed up, hence all those elven ruins you see in TW2.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Is there any way to check whether I imported a Witcher 1 save or not in Witcher 2? I'm going to play through the second path and so I've reloaded an old save at the crossroads, but I can't remember if I imported a TW1 save when I originally started.

Check if you have D'yaebl, Aerondight, or the Raven Armor in your inventory. Those are all items that get imported from a Witcher 1 save. Also, having Aerondight means you don't have to craft a new Silver Sword at the beginning of Act 1, so if you remember not crafting one, you imported a save.

**You might also have gotten a letter from Thaler, it would show up in your completed quests as "got a letter from the spymaster in Vizima," or something like that.

Cheston fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jun 8, 2014

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Valiant Pudding posted:

I just finished the prologue and I'm in the fisher village or whatever it is. I think the combat is absolutely great compared to Witcher 1. Should I be holding onto all my crafting/alchemy ingredients all the time? I got of the boat and was already over encumbered. I've got like 50+ pieces of leather weighing 35 pounds or something...

(I already installed the mod to bring the weight limit up to 500 :()

95% of what you'll craft is potions and bombs, so no need to carry around too much leather/wood/non-meteorite ore. And when you notice you have 80 Nekker teeth (this will happen), make a bunch of potions/bombs with them, since heavy ingredients don't result in heavier potions.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Roshnak posted:

Also, are we still using spoilers for this game that came out in 2011, or can I drop these things?

I think they're mostly for the benefit of people who saw the trailer and realized they should play TW2, but I don't know how many of those people there actually are.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Lord Lambeth posted:

Nah, all you really need is a controller. And spec in stealth/pistols, it's basically easy mode.

Nonsense, shotguns and fists all the way. In this game, knocking someone down with a shotgun and then punching their throat is nonlethal.

Fun Fact: this game has an Orphans Created statistic after every mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Oligopsony posted:

Is this an accurate gloss of the game's tone? (No judgment either way, just trying to sense if I'd enjoy it personally.)

The tone of that review is basically the complete opposite of the tone of the game.

Oligopsony posted:

I guess my concern is whether, if the game hears me use the phrase "male gaze," it punches me in the face and calls me a human being.

It does not. The game would probably be pretty chill about it.

Cheston fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 26, 2015

• Locked thread