Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

cmykjester posted:

Since it's the summer and I have a bit more extra time than usual. What Witcher Books are worth reading? I've already read "The Last Wish" which is the one most people recommend as the first so where should I go next?

If there are any fan translations of The Sword of Destiny that are readable at all, I'd definitely recommend reading one. Can't really imagine going into the novels without reading the last two stories, in particular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Oh boy, this game sure loves dropping you into boss fights without giving you a chance to drink the potions it emphasises you using.

loving Letho.

Also, I chose to help Roche and punched the elf guy in the face, did I already make the 'big' decision at the end of chapter 1?

Not yet. This will influence how the end of the act will play out and what you can learn, but there's still a short while before the 'big' decision comes.

Aumanor fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jul 3, 2014

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Not to defend the whiny babies on CDPR forums, but there are situation where a game could look much better, but the devs have to downgrade it because it could only run on PCs and not on the consoles. Watch McKilligan's LP of The Bureau:XCOM Declassified. It's co-commentated by one of the devs, and he talks about a lot of neat things they had, but had to cut them because consoles couldn't handle it. Knowing that you could get a better product but didn't because of limitations of another platform IS a pretty lovely feeling and I really hope CDPR isn't doing that.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

fivegears4reverse posted:

The Bureau was a bad game for reasons other than Muh Graffix, though.

Like seriously, I feel bad for the devs if they had to cut all kinds of really cool poo poo that ONLY THE POWER OF PC could handle, but it's on them to make an interesting and good videogame, regardless of the limitations of their platform they are working on.

I don't think, nor did I imply it in my post, that the console-induced limitations were a major factor in the Bureau being a bad game. Merely that they exist.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

Yeah that one. Wasn't it hugely powerful and didn't it end up getting named after her?

It was and it did, but again, she was casting it in tandem with a sorceress powerful enough to mass-polymorph people into livestock with both her hands tied behind her back*.

*Literally. Apparently, you can cast spells with your leg provided you're good enough, although it's rather unreliable. Her first batch of targets just turned yellow.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Lil Bit O Vitriol posted:

I thought the reason why Triss passed out was because she is allergic to magic

Magic elixirs only.

Demiurge4 posted:

That's really loving funny, I should read the books.

Unfortunately, that's from"The Sword of Destiny", the collection of stories they decided not to translate for some reason (seriously, WHAT THE ACTUAL gently caress, whoever publishes Witcher in English?). A real shame, too because the first story, the one featuring foot-casting is the best of the bunch imo, maybe the best thing Sapkowski ever wrote. Not least because it introduces Yarpen Zigrin, herald extraordinaire.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

IIRC, before this game, the main thing CD Projekt Red had done was localize Baldur's Gate 2 into Polish. They had very little money and it's kind of a miracle this got released at all. It's probably more fair to judge it by Indie game standards than by the standards you'd hold to a AAA game release

Baldur's Gate 2 (as well as the rest of the saga and pretty much all other Interplay RPGs, among many other games) was localised and published by the main CD Projekt company. CD Projekt RED was created as a subdivision pretty much solely for the purpose of making the first Witcher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

GrossMurpel posted:

Of course, all his horses are called Roach.

Which would suggest that Geralt only rides mares, and the Polish word for a common roach, płotka, is a feminine noun.

• Locked thread