Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Lycus posted:

There's no way in hell my computer can play this. It's either buy a PS4 or build a new computer.

It's a good thing I was looking to upgrade anyway. :unsmith:

Do we know what sort of specs we're looking at here? If I plump for a GTX 760 (860? I thought Maxwell was supposed to be out already), is that going to be enough for Ultra @ 1920x1200 or am I going to need a 780 or something ridiculous?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

GrossMurpel posted:

Why would you do this?
Sorry, but I can't help imagining people who prefer controller over KB+M to be like DSP who just loving sucks at aiming and then complains that the game doesn't attack the dude he wants to attack. :negative:
I just think it's so much more precise to be able to control the camera with a mouse and only having 8 directions of movement than having 360 degrees of movement but terrible camera controls IMO.

Third person action games as a genre are, generally, better served by controllers. Imprecise camera controls* aren't so much of an issue because, as a rule, you only ever want the camera to do one of three things: find an angle that gives you a good view of the field of action when you're fighting a group, and stick to it, lock on to a specific enemy when you need to focus, or follow your character's field of view when you're running around. I won't say that getting the camera to understand when it needs to stay still and when it needs to follow you is a trivial problem (lot of lovely cameras out there), but it's one that plenty of games have solved satisfactorily.

The Witcher, though. I dunno. Geralt is already such a clumsy loving chore to drive, I don't think I'd want to go with a controller on top of that.

*Though I'm not sure analog stick camera controls are that imprecise- if you're trying to aim in an FPS then sure, they're a joke, but basically nothing else needs that sort of precision in camera control. The real problem is that if your thumbs on the stick, it's not on the face buttons, so you can't adjust the camera and do anything else at the same time unless you start doing some claw poo poo.

e: Or what Saint-Germain said, yeah.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Well, okay:

a) Geralt's got a fairly large amount of momentum, especially when pivoting.
b) Attack animations are long. Very long, and there's no way to cancel out of them.
c) The dodge is slow and awkward. Generally I find it too long for a quick duck out of the way and too short for disengaging.
d) The targeting system is... well. I'm not sure I want to go as far as to say that it violates the principle of least astonishment, but it takes a hell of a lot of getting used to. As a rule, if I'm attacking and I'm not locked on to something, what I want to do to is attack in a direction, either the one I'm facing or the one I'm pushing into, not a specific person.
e) What lunatic decided to fold the lunge into the basic attack command? If I want to lunge I will tell you explicitly, game. :psyduck:

(Talking only about 2, here, and I can't remember which, if any, of these issues were fixed after release :v:. Last time I replayed it I did think it had gotten a little better, but not by a lot.)

All of which combines to make Geralt one of the stickiest and least responsive fightmans I have fightmanned with. To be fair, the Witcher isn't quite the same sort of beast as the games I'm comparing it to. It invokes a sort of... I'm going to say grittiness, for lack of a better word, that means that it just can't afford to let its characters get away with some of the poo poo that other, pulpier games do. If Geralt started backflipping twice his height or gained invincibility frames in his dodge then eyebrows would be raised.

There really is no excuse for the lunge thing though. :psyduck:

GrossMurpel posted:

For example, in your three scenarios you didn't mention precise movement at all (just following your character's FoV imprecisely is different), which is exactly what I use the camera control for. As an example, lots of people complained about the inaccurate controls in Assassin's Creed and how they kept running into the wrong parkours objects, which never happened to me by just holding W and aiming where I want to go.

Never played any of the AssCreed games, so I can't speak to your specific example, but it's not something I find being a problem very frequently. Actually, I'm not sure how often I see games asking for that level of control over movement these days. I remember this one specific jump in MGR that always trips me up if I don't slow down and take it carefully, but apart from that...

GrossMurpel posted:

Plus, the problem you mentioned with controlling the camera and doing actions at the same time can't happen. The thought of having the freely movable camera static while I'm attacking dudes is horrible, what if someone readies an attack that you can't see in your back?

If you're playing a game where enemies will attack you from off-camera, you really shouldn't be letting them get behind you to begin with.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

GrossMurpel posted:

Haven't all the novels been translated? Why is Sword of Destiny still not done?

Translations are done up to Baptism of Fire. With godawful covers that make me glad e-readers are a thing.

GrossMurpel posted:

What the hell, english-speakers?

We don't actually bother to mark countries east of the Oder on our maps. We just write, "here be Slavs" and knock off for a pint.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

GrossMurpel posted:

I refuse to believe that my GTX 580 that I just got two years ago won't be able to run it at all.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

Generation number doesn't matter as much as model number, you should be fine.

sauer kraut posted:

1.5GB or 3GB version?
If it's the former, yeah sorry time to move on from the cut down Christmas 2010 card :sigh:
The 3GB one should be fine.

Eeeeeh. I really doubt it's not going to playable on some setting, however basic, with 1.5. It's not that small, even with the way the goalposts have been shifting recently.

It'd be nice if they'd give an actual number for VRAM, though.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

GrossMurpel posted:

The best part of that ballista scene was how Foltest tells you to aim at Etcheverry but you actually have to aim at the wooden platform below him.

Which would be why I miss every time.

Makes sense, though; it's not like a ballista is a precision instrument.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Carsius posted:

Those required specs are ridiculous. I've been on the same machine for four years, and can run most things at high (or at worst medium,) yet I am nowhere near being able to play it.

New console generation: the target min spec for devs just leapt forward five eight (!!!) years. It happens.

(I didn't realise until I checked but the 360 is ten years old this year. :psyduck:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I can't comment on anything that doesn't go through marketing, also, I have no idea.

Could you maybe, if you've got a spare moment at lunch or something, track down a member of the W3 team, ask them if they have solid or even just target numbers for VRAM requirements at a given resolution/settings level, and if the answer's yes, ask them to ask marketing to load those numbers into an big fat information torpedo and shoot it into our stupid faces? If it's not too much trouble.

• Locked thread