Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Torsade de Pointes posted:

They made all the initial pre-order DLC available to everyone.
And there's an option to turn them off in the config menu now, which I was super excited about. I hate pre-order bonuses that just dump overpowered equipment into your inventory at the start. It was especially annoying in this game, since it would automatically equip the Blue Stripes jacket at the beginning of every section of the tutorial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Donny posted:

I would second this. Roche then Iorveth is the best way to play through the game because the latter is quite a bit more revelatory and rewarding to play in that order.
Yeah, that's how I did it my first playthrough, and the thing that really stood out was the final boss fight. It goes from a dragon fight out of nowhere to a huge "holy poo poo!" moment when you find out its identity on the second playthrough.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Davos posted:

Honestly, did anyone actually save her?
I did... by accident. I just mashed the use button as soon as the option popped up, figuring my choice would come at that point. I didn't realize using the gem would automatically save her.

Oh well, maybe she'll still be hanging around in the next game!

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
They're pretty much the same amount of content, but you're going to be missing out on huge parts of the story no matter which way you go. I think it was summarized well earlier in the thread: go for Iorveth if you want an lighter epic story, go for Roche if you want a darker grimmer story.

I know you already said you'd only play it once, but you're really missing out if you don't play both paths. They really are completely different, it's not just getting the same quests from different characters like most RPGs. Both sides need to be played or you're only getting half of the full picture.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
If you roll much better in the first round than your opponent, they may just resign instead of betting more. You just got lucky with your roll.

I don't mind dice poker, but I hate the design of the dice in the second game. It makes it really hard to tell at a glance what I've rolled. I know there's probably a mod to fix it, but I keep forgetting to look. It's pretty silly that you can roll dice off the board now too, that was kind of a pointless addition.

I think it's pretty dumb that characters in both games have always treated it as a test of skill and cunning, though. It's pure luck, and you can't even bluff since you can view your opponent's dice the entire time.

Jokymi fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Apr 27, 2012

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Cthulu Carl posted:

Ah, drat, that's probably it. I missed one of the tombstones before checking out the hut's basement.

Oh well, I'm almost at the end of Chapter 2 so I'll just try it on another run-through.
I'm pretty sure the bug involves talking to Dethmold about the scroll you find in the basement before finishing the rest of the quest. I don't know why that would break it, but I remember reading about that issue awhile back.

Edit: Yep, the wiki confirms that.

Jokymi fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Apr 28, 2012

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
The old woman is probably the most annoying part of the game. You can keep entering the house and she will sometimes let you go through or just make smaller demands. There's an easy way to get by her, though. Beat Thaler at a drinking contest and he will give you a book. Give it to the bootblack and he will give you a ring. Wear that and show it to the old lady and she'll never stop you again.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

RBA Starblade posted:

In Witcher 1, is the choice of who you side with determined on your actions through the game, or is it just "I choose to side with the Squirrel/Order/Nobody" at some point?
It's a choice, two of them actually. At one point you have to choose to help one of the two factions, and later on you have a choice between either helping that faction again or going neutral.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

FrickenMoron posted:

Any way to get the "experienced" trait when you missed the dummies in the prologue? It seems like it's the only way to get to level 30 and I missed out on the dummies of course. It seems the respawning ones in flotsam don't count?
What is this trait? I've played the game three times and had no idea it existed. Does it give you a bonus to exp? That would be incredibly handy.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Samurai Sanders posted:

Has there ever really been a novel series -> game series adaptation as well thought out as this? I can't think of any off the top of my head.
Betrayal at Krondor is the only one I can think of, but it did a great job of nailing the feel of the setting, despite the original author not being heavily involved. I never did play the sequel, so I don't know how well it continued, but BaK is probably my favorite RPG of that era.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Capsaicin posted:

Where is the dude who sells books on the Nekker/Endredga?
In the house directly across from the blacksmith. It's not marked on the map for some annoying reason.

quote:

Where can I get vodka to give to the troll? Every time I go to talk to him, he attacks me.
That's supposed to happen. Get him down to half-health and he'll talk to you some more.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Weebly posted:

I just got to act 3 and just don't feel like playing it anymore. This past week I've started it up a few times, played a few minutes then went and did something else. I really enjoyed Act 1 and 2 though. Did this happen to anyone else?
If it helps, you're really close to the end. Act 3 is much shorter than Act 2, and can easily be completed in two or three hours (even less, if you ignore the sidequests).

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
It's also what he mentions dreaming about to Triss in the tent during the prologue.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
You're actually using the mouse or joystick to try and keep the icon within the moving bar.

And I've never heard of any memory leak problems with the game. I don't think crashes like that are very common. It may be a longshot, but I was having crashing issues around the game's launch, and it turned out to be my graphics card overheating.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
I think the problem might be using the FCR mod on your first playthrough. It really seems like something that's designed more for people who have already played the game than newcomers. This isn't the first time I've seen someone complain about how frustrating the combat is having only played it with FCR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
Ves isn't a he. She's Roche's second-in-command and you would have had to talk to her to do the hangover quest.

• Locked thread