Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I just went through that ridiculous sex scene in chapter 1 again. Somehow it's still more tasteful than any of the ones in the ME series. I mean, that's not a very high bar, but still.

Also can I just say that this game has the best costumes, both in artistry and technical execution, of any game ever made by like ten loving miles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Loredo is a fat gently caress but those clothes make him look good anyway.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Vertigus posted:

Save and reload.

Chance games in The Witcher series literally amount to a difficult opponent being 10x more likely to get the best possible hand.
Haha what, THAT'S how the difficulty of opponents is adjusted in dice poker?? Well, I guess this is a world of magic so I guess it shouldn't have surprised me. What kind of lunatic would even challenge someone to a game of chance in a world that's full of magic lucky talismans and stuff?

edit: speaking of dice poker, is there any kind of formal organization for it in chapter 1? Who do I need to beat in order to challenge the guy who has the troll head?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

coyo7e posted:

Okay I feel really stupid but I cannot figure out how to make Places of Power work. I did the tutorial once and now I seem to be unable to activate them. Also, what's the little white star on the tip of my vitality bar, that flashes now and then? Some kind of hidden item indicator?
If you have your medallion active (pushing the left stick in on the 360 controller dunno about anything else) and walk into a place of power it should get its effect, unless you have another affect from a different place of power active already.

I think that star you are seeing is actually a plus and means you can level up.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I never did manage to spare La Valette, despite going through it three times and (I think) picking different options each time. He just seems hell-bent on dueling Geralt to the death.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

1stGear posted:

Is there any rhyme or reason to how Axii Hex and Intimidate work? I've had them fail in a conversation, then I reload and use the exact same option without changing anything and they succeed.
I dunno but in general, people seem to know what witchers are about, and yet they keep falling for that hex. There's a lot about fantasy worlds that I have a hard time suspending disbelief on.

edit: does anyone remember the sequence off-hand to get La Valette to surrender?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

pogothemonkey0 posted:

I would have done that if the choices were obvious... When he seemed reluctant to surrender, the seemingly-best option was to challenge him to a duel.
Yeah, this is what happened to me, I guess. The way he was so adamant against surrendering, I figured asking him again would just get them all to attack me. I figured there was a way on the duel path to somehow make it not a duel to the death.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I've never gotten more than 30fps in this game (sandy bridge i5 laptop with GeForce GT54M), it's always been just on the bottom edge of acceptable. It's a testament to how good the game is that I stuck with it anyway.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
How's the frame rate on the 360 version anyway?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I wish the game was more up-front about quests that span multiple chapters. I spent an hour and a half scouring every part of the river trying to find out whatever I had to do for the Mystic River quest after dropping off the letter. That's a failure of game design right there, causing players to look for things that aren't there.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Cirofren posted:

One of the few things that was not improved from the original game. From what I remember in the Witcher 1 if a quest had nothing left to action in your current chapter the entry actually moved ahead to the relevant chapter.
I didn't have as much of a problem there because the description would change to like "Geralt knew there was nothing else to be done, so he decided to wait for things to develop".

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Oh yeah, there's no way to make the interface/text bigger is there? I'm playing with a TV/sofa, and while the dialog text is all plenty big, menu text and stuff is a little small.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I did Roche's path first (I think based on bad vibes about Scoiatel left over from the first game), I just started chapter 2 on Iorveth's. So far it's like a crazy parallel world. Boy, this game did story splits like nothing else.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
At least in chapter 1 they didn't do a good job of presenting Iorveth as anything but a bandit in the woods with delusions of grandeur (like probably all bandits in woods have). Loredo was a scumbag but it sure seemed like he had the right attitude towards the Scoiatel at least in that area.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
So how IS the frame rate on the 360? Does it dip in town and the other places it does on my PC?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Coughing Hobo posted:

Cheap bastard way to beat Letho part 2: Chug anything that increases Vigor regeneration beforehand. Aard him, four hit sword combo, Aard again, four hit sword combo, and repeat. Battle was over in seven seconds.
Fifteen or so grapeshots thrown in rapid succession so he gets locked into trying to cast Quen over and over again but fails also does it.

Remember, Geralt isn't the kind of person who wants a fair fight. Think of him as Leon in The Professional, dirty tricks are his stock in trade.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Coughing Hobo posted:

Well, well, well, remember how some of you guys were asking for some bigger UI text? Just released:

Comfy Couch - Increases text size of many elements, most notably the journal, loot tables, quest text, and NPC one-liners. First playthrough safe!
Thanks! I guess the only thing that's left is making the icons and stuff in the upper right and lower left just a little bit bigger.

edit: one thing I've often wondered, if there are any Polish speakers here, is there something about the Polish language that makes things likely to be translated to -er in English? Witchers, drowners, nekkers, Yennefer...

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 24, 2012

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

InvisibleHand posted:

I don't think there's anything in the mechanics of Polish that makes english translations end in an -er suffix. Its just the way things worked out. (Yennefer is Yennefer in polish also)
Yeah, I was joking about Yennefer. After all, I barely knew her.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Is the content in the 360 version the same as on the PC? Does it have all the same nudity and salty language and such?

edit: I asked because apparently the 360 version isn't coming out in Japan, where they have much stronger rules against that stuff, but only on consoles.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Apr 25, 2012

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Chapter 3 is fairly similar no matter which side you spent chapter 2 on, right?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ChetReckless posted:

Anybody have any advice for what to set to squeeze out as much quality/performance as I can? For what its worth, I have a Radeon HD 6850, i5-2500K, 8GB of RAM. I intend to run the game at 1920x1080. I imagine blur and bloom will probably be the first to go, though any recommendations would be welcome. I'm guessing mods probably don't hold any answers right now, what with the move over to the EE.

I've heard that using an Xbox controller works pretty well with the PC version as well, especially since it seems more action oriented than the first game. I'll probably try both, but what do you guys prefer?
I've only used the xbox controller but I really don't see any reason to use a keyboard and mouse when I have that, it isn't an FPS or anything.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Yeah one of the best things about Witcher and Witcher 2 are the elements that make them "witcher sims" and I wish they had more of it. I also really like it, for some reason, when the fact that it is Geralt's job to do this poo poo comes up in conversation, even when it's just people looking to him for professional advice on monsters.
Yeah, this is my favorite part of it. Also how a witcher never does anything for free and everyone knows that ahead of time. The people who don't get reminded with a slug to the gut.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

socialsecurity posted:

People who don't say Dark Mode is difficult are insane or cheating, I'm just now halfway through the first town and everything kills me in 1 hit everything. Sure you supposedly get super equipment later but this is insanely hard, especially due to "oh some spiders in the forest, I'll wait a full 30 seconds before pulling my sword out while your clicking like mad"
Never walk around in the forest without your sword drawn. Never.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Speedball posted:

So, just starting on chapter 1...why does over-exerting her magic make Triss look like she's high rather than exhausted?
I think it causes brain damage or something.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Coughing Hobo posted:

This game looks good all of the time, but sometimes, god drat

If only I could have depth of field blurring enabled and still get decent frame rates...

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

MC2552John posted:

I actually found reading the in game bestiary books for info helped. I think it says Ignite works well against nekkers.
Even more so than other enemies, if you make a lake of fire right below them they will run around in it like a chicken with their head cut off, while you watch and laugh.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

keyframe posted:

Is there a mod that makes picking up stuff easier because goddammit cdproject. :doom:

You have to be at this perfect spot for the pick up prompt to show up and god forbid you move an inch from that spot because you will have to run away and run back in to find the pick up prompt to show up again. It is pretty much my only gripe with this game.
The most annoying part for me is the gap between when combat ends and when you can pick things up. Geralt puts away his sword, a few seconds later the battle music stops, and a few seconds after THAT you can pick things up. Especially annoying in a situation like in the tombs in chapter 2 where one enemy at a time will be attacking you every time you investigate something.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Davos posted:

Yeah, much as I love the story and such of the first Witcher game the gameplay just was really quite dull and piss-easy, even on hard. I would kill for them to do a remake of it with Witcher 2's mechanics.
That would be a massive undertaking, a better goal would be a mod for witcher 1 that, for example, does away with button press timing, and toggling sword styles and assigns different buttons for each type of attack, and things like that to make it less irritating to play. In fact I'm surprised there's not one already.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Fuzz posted:

It uses the Aurora engine (NWN1), and that's not really how that engine works. It's a wonder the combat was as involved as it was to begin with.
You mean it only allows one key/button at a time to be bound to attack, or something?

edit: vvv I don't think there's a button for walking, just don't throw the analog stick so far over.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Apr 29, 2012

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Which graphics settings don't hit the CPU at all? The CPU is clearly the bottleneck on my system and messing around with some of the graphics settings I didn't notice any particular drop in its (already not very good) frame rate. Which ones should I be trying out specifically?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'm in chapter 2 trying to prove that the succubus didn't kill all those men (not that I particularly care if she did or not, the world's just a better place with her still alive). Iorveth says I need evidence, do I need to go back to the catacombs, or somewhere else? The only quest marker is on him.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Okay, I'm fighting an Nilfgardian sorcerer in chapter 2 who is absolutely murdering me. His Quen is too strong. It goes down occasionally by itself for a second or so at a time but I don't think I can knock it down by myself. As a test I once threw ten bombs straight at him in a row, zero damage. I can dodge 9/10ths of his fireballs but even then I lose the war of attrition because I am doing so little damage to him. I haven't even gotten him below 50% yet (and I'm completely hopped up on potions + hanged man's venom), I must be doing something fundamentally wrong.

edit: also what is with the insane delay (sometimes about three seconds of Geralt standing perfectly still) between the time that you want to throw a bomb and the time it actually throws sometimes? Is it a bug, or some weird design decision?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Apr 29, 2012

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Kinetic Tools posted:

This might be just because I got it to lvl 3, but aard knocks mages on their rear end all the time. Definitely my main tactic against them. I think it even knocks 'em down while their quen is up, but I may be misremembering.
I believe it knocks them down, but Quen is still active so you won't do any damage anyway. Does Quen even weaken from bombs and knives? And how does it respond to magic?

There are only two or three enemies in the whole game who can use Quen anyway so I haven't studied its effects very well. All I know is that in that first fight with Letho he can be hitstunned while trying to cast Quen, but not this guy.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Unponderable posted:

If you want the combat to have a rhythm, that's fine and I'll learn how to dance the dance... or would if you don't kill me on the first misstep. On that note, would it really have killed them to include a healing sign or in-combat health potion? Sure would have eased the learning curve. Nothing like getting knocked down and watching a bleed tick down your health to zero knowing there's nothing you can do but groan because you realize you haven't saved recently.
Witching is all about preparation, that's why they made it so you can only use potions before combat.

Other than that I have very similar complaints about the combat system though.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Red Mundus posted:

I just got finished with this fight and all the advice I can give you is spam daggers and bombs and let Ves do all the tanking.

I had 20 grapeshots and 17 daggers and I was fresh out after that battle. Also I think Geralt needs to get a refund from wherever he learned Quen because EVERYONE'S seems better than his. I can't remember one instance of an enemy that uses quen and it acts like Geralts version. :v:
The most important question is, do knives and bombs wear down his Quen, or do they just glance harmlessly off it forever? Should I only be throwing knives at him when it is down? He gets it back up so fast though that if I start throwing knives and bombs then, I think most of them will hit once it is already back up.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Red Mundus posted:

Nothing can hurt him when his Quen is up so simply dodge the fireballs over and over while Ves attacks uselessly. After around 3-4 dodges throw a bomb or dagger and it should connect, if not that's fine just keep dodging and repeat the same steps.
How long his Quen is active is related to how many fireballs he throws?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I was almost all sword last time, but this time I am going almost all alchemy. It has worked really well up until now...

edit: in that fight I finished off all the Nilfgardian soldiers with like two zerkanian suns + stunned instakill, for example. The boss seems un-stunnable though.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I was thinking about things relating to Saskia, knowing what I now know about her, and why didn't Phillippe realize that she wasn't human, in all her medical such-and-suches in order to cure her of the poison? She must have the best drat human disguise ever.

edit: lesbomancy is the best word this game has taught me, only slightly ahead of whoreson.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Oh...well, I didn't know that she was in on it from that early a time, coming from the Roche side before. The only reason I knew Saskia was a dragon before was because my friend who was playing it at the same time as me on the Iorveth path blabbed about it accidentally, since he didn't know that wasn't revealed in the Roche path.

Speaking of Saskia, when you fight her in the prologue to chapter 2 on the Roche side, she was a complete pushover, and I couldn't figure out if that was an important plot element or just because the game was going easy on you because you're controlling a guest character. Is she actually good at fighting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

keyframe posted:

Playing the roche questline made me realize how much better iorveth questline is. If you are playing the game for the first time definitely side with iorveth.
Naw, I think it's worth it to see both, and Roche's side first, since it leaves so many more mysteries (as it should, being on the invading side). It's really awesome to know my way around both Vergen and the Kaedwin camp now, and know what both sides were up to.

edit: yeah, Roche is a better friend to Geralt than Iorveth, even when you're on Iorveth's side. He talks tough but he's really a cuddly teddy bear underneath.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 30, 2012

• Locked thread