Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I would have done that if the choices were obvious... When he seemed reluctant to surrender, the seemingly-best option was to challenge him to a duel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
You can meditate anywhere as long as there are no enemies around. Hold ctrl and select the center icon to start meditating. This game would be downright unplayable if you needed a fire...

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

^^^ What does that even mean? If you mean the thread, well that's a weird thing to say. If you're talking about the game, then you are in for a treat everyone is a lying douchebag.

Ravenfood posted:

Every tree seems invaluable, which is nice. My first play through I went swords/signs and I can't imagine not having Heliotrope and a nice Axii/Yrden/Quen, then realized that Axii can be duplicated by Red Haze bombs, good use of parry/riposte can cover most quen situations, and Yrden shares similarities with a quick snare set after a roll.

I just can't see not putting any points into swords: None of my signs/bombs ever got good enough that I'd feel okay without wading into the fight after a few throws/casts. The other two seem much more supporting that swords unless Igni actually gets good enough to kill things really fast.

The only swordsmanship talent I have is the first level roll distance in crease :smug:

To the dude who asked if alchemy was good, yeah all talents are pretty good and you probably won't gently caress yourself up, but alchemy is poo poo for a first time player. The counter ticking down in dialog can gently caress you up and you need to really plan ahead for things. You get a ton of points in the game and if you really want to do alchemy, make sure to get some combat skills early on in either the signs or sword tree.

That said, Heliotrope with Berzerk mode is hilarious. You like 2 shot Greater Rotfiends with light attacks and it lasts forever. All of the passive bonuses you get for being poisoned are really great but further cement the fact that you alawys need to be poisoned. A swallow and random potion of choice is usually good to get you there but I like to customize my mix for certain fights.

But I guess I hosed up because I didn't get the bomb talent and barely use them.

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

Omnicarus posted:

At the very beginning you'll get a choice between a red, blue, and green potion. Depending on which one you drink the entire game afterwards changes, with the only similarity being rolling credits arranged in the shape of a giant middle finger.

I mean I'm not surprised given your custom title, but was this necessary?

I would love to see a third game in this series. CDPR probably produces some of the highest level of polish (I hate this pun) work in the industry. If I were less lazy, I would look into the development length and budget of the two games in comparison to other studios but I refuse to believe these guys aren't some of the most talented devs around. Compared to other RPGs released at their respective times, both games have some fantastic graphics. The witcher 2 still amazes me walking through the forests with the sunbeams streaming down.

I'm not saying both games don't have their problems (bugs, bad design decisions, etc) but they're still great.

They had better bring back the booze component to alchemy though. I also miss the secondary ingredient effects.

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

Mahuum Aqoha posted:

I'd be surprised if CDProjekt didn't put some reference to Mass Effect like that in the third Witcher game, they've got a history of :iceburn: on Bioware: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_Ju8WVY2a4 (read the description)

edit: forgot about the dev diary :v: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBU4akKPlgs

Maybe I'm dense (very likely) but what specifically stood out to you as anti-bioware? The morality issue was the only thing that really stood out to me.

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

Burns posted:

stuff

You're weird, dude. Half of what you say makes no sense at all to me. Dark mode is significantly more difficult, although it may not feel that way if you have all the practice of a previous play through. How do you feel that potions are not necessary? I've taken most of the alchemy talents so I'm kind of biased but if I don't use potions before a battle, I basically can't win. I get ~30% extra damage on top of whatever oil I use. The additional regen of vitality and vigor is invaluable. Off the top of my head, arachas and endrega are the only insectoids in the game.

Also, you basically listed the three best talents in the game as complaints about it being easy (dodging, Quen, and bombs).

I do agree about the lovely inventory and meaningless number of items. More creatures would be nice too. I have like 75 harpy claws because they're all over the place.

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

Asehujiko posted:

Is there a mod that removes the dark mode effects without attempting to rebalance the swords? The poor visibility is getting me killed more often then the curse itself.

I take it you have already checked the OP? I swear I downloaded a mod that only removed the visual effects and posted it in the thread, but I couldn't find it. I know what you mean though, that poo poo is really annoying. I fought in basically every cave in Vergen without cat using the Dark swords and it was hilariously impossible. After dying a few times, I said gently caress it and drank a cat. I'm pretty sure the cat heartbeat is more annoying than not being able to see though.

That got me to thinking, what do people think about game designers making helpful items really annoying? I mean, as a player, you need to strike a balance between how much something helps you and how much it hinders you. Take cat for example, I loving hate the heartbeat but recognize that I need it sometimes to win. Is that fundamentally different from the potions that decrease your resistances while increasing your damage? Same with the dark effects, they all provide something useful at the cost of being somewhat detrimental. Are the cat and dark weapon effects bad game design, or simply another form of balance?

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

As a fellow alchemy spec, I know your sorrow. Without riposte that whole sequence was just dumb and I don't know who put the autosave spawn right on top of the draug. Depending on what move he does (which I presume is random) you're looking at a clean miss, or over 75% of your health. It's bad game design to punish the player for an event they have no control over.

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

Kaal posted:

Splitting this up was such a bad GUI decision. It's like, "Oh half the information is here with your journal, and then half the information is hidden behind your character upgrade screen. What?"

There are a few things about this game that are just staggeringly perplexing from a game design point of view. I get that they were trying for some interesting narrative with your journal being written from Dandelion's perspective, but the monster books are another thing entirely. At the very least they could contain all of the info in the physical book and paraphrase it in your character sheet. But that still wouldn't fix the fact that the monster info is in your character bio and not your journal...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

etalian posted:

Yes it's for the Iorveth Path where you have to escape from the Nilfgaard camp.

Well that is interesting... I was confused as to which boss people were referring to even though I went the Iorveth path. Now I remember him but am confused as to why people found it difficult. He and Letho (and honestly any boss in the game) can be beaten by keeping your distance until their quen is down, aarding and slashing 3 times until you're out of vigor, then repeating. I was so juiced on potions I think it took like 6 hits to kill him (although I may have also been in berzerk mode).

vvv Well yeah, I don't plan on doing that fight in Dark mode. I remember those horrible gargoyles and I have no desire to revisit that. That fight is pretty much designed to make you hate the world.

pogothemonkey0 fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 30, 2012

• Locked thread