Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Oh, yeah. I name all the operations that go down in Taipei, even the ones that aren't mine. Operation Latex Turtle, Operation Angry Bees, Operation AAAAAHHHH-YOOOOOOOW! Heh. That was a good one.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Oh I hope not, I'll hurt something if I have to do those horrible QTE fistfights again.

Horrible as in hard or just tedious? They're super easy once you figure out that where the prompt flashes on the screen corresponds to which button you push. At least it does for the PC version, not sure about the 360 version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Oh, yeah. I name all the operations that go down in Taipei, even the ones that aren't mine. Operation Latex Turtle, Operation Angry Bees, Operation AAAAAHHHH-YOOOOOOOW! Heh. That was a good one.

"Unlucky7 posted:

I just did the opening fight again (Did not feel like starting from my pre-EE saves). Did my game do somthing weird, or did they suddenly give you the Blue Stripes Jacket?

They made all the initial pre-order DLC available to everyone.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Hannibal Smith posted:

And there's an option to turn them off in the config menu now, which I was super excited about. I hate pre-order bonuses that just dump overpowered equipment into your inventory at the start. It was especially annoying in this game, since it would automatically equip the Blue Stripes jacket at the beginning of every section of the tutorial.

I think they towned down the DLC as well. The Blue Stripes Jacket actually has less armor than the starter one now.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Omnides posted:

Or he's thinking of Witcher 1 where you did need a fire to meditate.

I'm not sure cause you don't need to meditate to drink potions in the first game. I'm reasonably sure there aren't any drowners in the tutorial section of the first game either. I think you just fight Salamandra and the Frightener or a Salamandra Mage.

Torsade de Pointes fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Apr 24, 2012

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

I hope they decide to revive the Rise of the White Wolf project they were working on and remake the first game with the second's engine. I would prefer the final game first, but I think combining the first game's plot with the second's gameplay and suitable re-balancing would be awesome.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

etalian posted:

Pro-tip for the original games, for the drinking contests use the weakest Natty Light booze since the game only seems to count number of drinks chugged and going with stronger one only makes things worse.

Also, make some wives tears potions for when you don't want to shrug off the hangover naturally. You can make potions without even knowing the recipe. Just look up the ingredients and combine them and it will make an unknown potion. Drink that and it will have the desired effect assuming you mixed it right. It may kill you if you gently caress it up :v: I think any that you make after that point will be properly labeled too.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Witcher 3 speculation It seems to me they set the Wild Hunt up as being the true threat. In the first and second game, you learn that the Hunt is trying to find people with Elder Blood/Lara's gene so they can open stable portals to other worlds and conquer them. That's why the King of the Hunt wanted you to give him the Grand Master in the first game and probably why they abducted Yennefer and subsequently gave her back. Alvin/Jacques de Aldesburg is a carrier of Lara's gene, while Yennefer is not a carrier iirc.

I'm guessing the third game will open with Nilfgaard ploughing the north. How well they do may depend on your choices in the second game. I imagine the Wild Hunt will show up for real rather than as just a cavalcade of spectral riders and start loving everyone up.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Flumpus posted:

Is the oathbreaker's armor set any easier to come by in chapter 2? And is it worth it?

Try to grab a piece of armor from a dead Draugir early on. Otherwise, you will have to wait until pretty late in the chapter to craft it.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Flumpus posted:

Oh crap, like, how early? Not the VERY beginning before you even get to Vergen, right? I haven't been out of the city yet, just in the mine and doing stuff in Vergen, so not sure if they're out running around for me to kill - I have a sinking feeling they're not :(
They're only in the mist. So you've got 3 chances to grab one. The very beginning, well over halfway when you get sent across the mist to the enemy camp, and at the tail end where you exorcise the curse.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Flumpus posted:

Ok, that's what I thought... First time through Iorveth's side of things, so wasn't sure what I'd find, but sounds like I'll have to grab that the second time you mention. Thanks! I haven't even bought the diagrams yet, so the only thing that was on my radar was all the crap I had started putting together in chapter one before giving up and just moving on without it.

You might check the area where you first emerged from the mists into Vergen at night. I've sometimes seen the soldier wraiths emerge from the mist there, but I've yet to see a Draugir come out. I suppose it's possible they could show up there too.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

How am I supposed to make money in Witcher 1? I'm in Chapter 2, can't get to the swamp (at least, I see no entrance anywhere), can't get any further leads, and spend all my money on books for contracts (which are all in the swamp I can't get to yet afaik) and the tower quest and now some old woman won't let me see Shani until I get some gloves worth 100 gold. I have 4 gold.

Dice Poker sadly. Prepare for lots of save scumming cause the AI cheats like a motherfucker.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Is it still possible to do the quest From a Bygone Era? The one where you find a manuscript that leads you to the Operator in Loc Muinne if you take Iorveth's path? I remember doing it before, but the cellar is locked this time and I can't find a key for it.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Lycus posted:

Yes it is. Which part are you having trouble with? Remember, you have to use Aard to get into the cellar, and the candle sequence to open the secret room.

I used aard to get rid of the barrels, but the door to the cellar with the candles just says locked and it won't open.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Lycus posted:

Well, there's definitely no key, I can tell you that. I'm not sure what's wrong, you should be able to go down after you clear the barrels.

I tried reloading and it says the same thing. I'll go ahead and finish up what I need to do in the Kaedweani camp and maybe that will fix it. I'm currently unable to wait at all as well, which I think is related to having this part of the quest active.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

From a Bygone Era Quest (Chapter 2)I'm still unable to access the cellar after completing the Kaedweani camp. I know I've done this before with Iorveth's path. I'm not sure if this is a change in the Enhanced Edition or if it's just a bug in my game. I'm playing the 360 version.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

Thanks. I helped the Order take out the Scoi'tel in the swamp so I was curious how it handles things.

Act 3 is where the path first begins to fork. You're not locked out of siding with either group just yet. That particular quest comes near the end of Act 3.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

The most important question is, do knives and bombs wear down his Quen, or do they just glance harmlessly off it forever? Should I only be throwing knives at him when it is down? He gets it back up so fast though that if I start throwing knives and bombs then, I think most of them will hit once it is already back up.

This is why I love sword spec. You can save up that adrenaline and instant kill people who are a pain in the rear end, with a few exceptions. It's very satisfying to execute that guy. Geralt even cut him down while he had his Quen up :smug:

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: yeah, Roche is a better friend to Geralt than Iorveth, even when you're on Iorveth's side. He talks tough but he's really a cuddly teddy bear underneath.
A big cuddly teddy bear who tortures people to death. He also murdered women and children.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

homerlaw posted:

Why does Iorveth hate Phillipa so much, is it for taking control of Saskia or is there something else too?

He also loathes sorceresses and the Lodge in general cause the Elven state of Dol Blathanna is run by a sorceress and Lodge member, Findabair. She sold out to Nilfgaard and betrayed the Scoia'tael and allowed them to be butchered. His unit, the Vrihedd Brigade, was murdered after one of the wars by Nilfgaard following their defeat. The Nilfgaardian ambassador insists it was at the insistence of the Northern Monarchs, but I think he holds both them and Findabair responsible.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

FrickenMoron posted:

Any way to get the "experienced" trait when you missed the dummies in the prologue? It seems like it's the only way to get to level 30 and I missed out on the dummies of course. It seems the respawning ones in flotsam don't count?

They do count it just seems like they upped the number of dummies you need to take out. I think I chopped up more like 30 or so before it finally gave me the trait.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Ledneh posted:

Oh god I keep getting clobbered by the soldiers around the ballista in the second part of the prologue on normal, help I am the worst witcher :saddowns:

That's normal. You'll get ploughed quite a lot until you get the hang of things. Just keep moving and pick off the weaker guys first with lunge attacks. My favorite is when you move towards the left of your target and attack. Geralt executes something resembling a double lutz to double axel and can hit enemies multiple times. You can often instantly kill weaker dudes with this lunge alone. Once you're down to just the shield dude and two hander dude, bust out Yrden and go to town on the one that gets caught.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

In the books are witchers considered to be not all the way human like in the games, so people don't think it's weird if he decides to side with the elves? Or is that something they just did for the games to give you that choice?

Come to think of it, do non-humans ever become witchers? And women? That one little girl in Flotsam wants to know.

Pretty sure women have the potential to be witchers. I think the witcher schools just only accept boys out of tradition. One example I can think of from the first game is White Rayla. The Grand Master turns her into a mutant much like the rest of his army. I suppose none of them are technically witchers, but I imagine the Grand Master was more interested in producing them quickly and didn't have complete knowledge of the process/skipped some things.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

While it would have been nice to have some more stuff recognized on importing, I wasn't too disappointed by it. I'm pretty sure it was not too far out from the initial release where they revealed the feature. No one even knew they were going to do something like that before then. It was never played up as all your decisions from the first game will have huge sweeping changes in the second or third game like in say Mass Effect, from what I remember anyways. In fact, I think importing a save for this game has about as many meaningful changes as importing a save does in ME :v:

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

Alright, thanks, I'll do that.

How long does the tutorial last? I got to the wave where the giant guys started appearing before going down. I'm not used to having so little health! Also its really annoying trying to aim knives on a controller. Does mouse sensitivity also affect stick sensitivity? It's a little touchy.

I think you can just quick throw knives like you can quick throw bombs and it will aim for the closest target. I'm not sure if you do more damage with the knives if you do precise aiming.

Soothing Vapors posted:

Cool, thanks guys. Yeah I'm definitely gonna take riposte.

Awesome, I didn't know they respawned there.

The Endregas have something I would stock up on if you can. Their embryos contain the alchemical base Fulgur which is fairly rare. You'll really only need it if you want to make Tawny Owl/Lapwing potions. I use them a lot cause they increase vigor regen. They're very rare once you blow up the nests, though they can be found in Act 2 and 3.

Torsade de Pointes fucked around with this message at 01:32 on May 6, 2012

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Soothing Vapors posted:

Where do you get lures?

Cedric sells them I believe. Honestly, I've never used them before. I'm not sure if they're reusable. They seem rather cost inefficient if they just work once.

Edit: I don't think they actually cause monsters to spawn either.

Torsade de Pointes fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 6, 2012

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

I tried that, but I simply don't have enough. They all swarm at once and stand there if I back off. Apparently I'm not supposed to try and fight them though, but running away doesn't seem like a very witcher thing to do.

To echo what others have said, bomb the gently caress out of them. That's the easiest way to do it.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

Is there any way to stop Letho from constantly going invincible through his Quen or is it just blind luck and hope he doesn't wear me down through all his damage over time effects? I've already figured out that signs and traps are useless because he goes invincible the moment before he'd be hit (except aard, where it occasionally hits or he'll do a stronger aard, knock me on my rear end, and go invincible anyway), but his bombs and ignis sooner or later kill me, especially since the bleed effect can be applied even if he misses.

e: Never mind, I didn't realize he doesn't counter aard with aard and it was just coincidence.

He takes some getting used to, but he's not so tough when it finally clicks. One thing you can do is go after him aggressively with your sword. Just start hammering on him and don't let up. If you see him start his swing animation, block to stagger him and then keep going at it. Don't block early or you will probably get an Aard sign in your face.

He may decide to use Aard to knock you away anyways and then put up Quen. The best thing to do is either put up your own Quen and dodge around or lay down a Yrden. If he gets trapped by Yrden, wait for his Quen to drop and then start hacking away. Yrden doesn't always ensnare him so be ready to dodge if you lure him over one. To avoid the bombs, you have to stay in fairly close. If he's not swinging at you, try moving to one side or the other to dodge his Igni or Aard.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

The problem I ran into was no matter what, after two hits he was blocking again, and if my attack didn't get through, I was knocked back, set on fire or bleeding, then he used quen again. I got into a pattern of aard, two heavy attacks, aard, two heavy attacks, then running away until I had full vigor again. And yeah the scripted loss bugged me too. I also didn't like the quick time event when fighting the Kayran, it actually killed me because my health was low and I hit the wrong button.

Is there any way to keep track of fatigue besides the little note in the bottom? I'm not sure how much it affects how much Geralt does, just that when its out he can't string attacks together. Also, I'm not a fan of changing it so you can't use potions without meditating now. A lot of fights are surprise attacks on Geralt, so it kind of throws that whole "prepare for your next encounter" thing out the window unless you save scum. How useful are the potions that reduce health/damage for the other or more regeneration, by the way?

One thing I've noticed is that putting up Quen seems to staunch any active DoT effects. I'm not 100% for sure, but it seems like the timer for them goes away once Quen goes up.

I prefer to use the potions that have no drawbacks. I tend to keep Swallow, Tawny Owl, and Rook active. The talent that reduces drawbacks and increases gains with potions is very nice and makes the ones with negative effects much more appealing. I grabbed that for my sign heavy play through. With all the vigor regen talents, I had something ridiculous like 1.5 vigor regen in combat after drinking Lapwing and Tawny Owl. I think normally it starts out at like 0.1 vigor regen in combat. :v:

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

CanAm posted:

Since the other Witcher 2 thread is now closed, I wanted to get this off my chest-

While looking for a translation of what Iorveth says in his dream, all I read on various forums/wikis was "LOL he just wants to be at peace an not a nomad, u kno?"

It's sad how no one caught the greater meaning in Iorveth's dream. He's constantly touted as this bloodthirsty murderer, and sure he's killed quite a few humans, but the dream shows that he's fairly pure at heart. He doesn't dream of murder or killing humans, he dreams of quiet reflection with a smile on his face.

For me, the dream was a reconciliation of why I picked Iorveth. I only picked his side because I didn't like Roche's ultimatums and absolutism. The dream affirmed that I made the right choice (for my first playthrough, at least).

I thought I remember reading that in the dream he's supposed to be high as gently caress and is reciting a list of ingredients for something. He's not dreaming of peace, dude just has the munchies.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

ManSedan posted:

I do have one question though: the first scene in the game, where Geralt is running through the forest shirtless, before collapsing. When was that supposed to take place and how did it relate to the rest of the story?

That is the opening to the first game. Geralt reappears in the forest near Kaer Morhen as the Wild Hunt races through the sky. He's being chased by fellow Witchers who are surprised to see him alive.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Asehujiko posted:

Where does Cynthia run off to after the secrets of Loc Muinne quest? The dialogue mentions an inn, which I don't remember Loc Muinne having and the quest to talk with her doesn't have a marker.

Choice in quest: Killed the other mage, used device once if that matters.

Looking in my quest log, I also failed both Suspect: Thorak and The Walls have Ears despite looting the chest with the evidence before going back to the castle.

The Inn is right next to the notice board. It's also very close to Bras of Ban Ard, the dude who helps you craft the Vran Armor and is the guy you turn in the gargoyle contract to. Also, congratulations you've given the Emperor of Nilfgaard Super Anthrax by letting Cynthia leave that lab alive. :v:

Did you loot the cup diagram from Thorak's house? You have to talk to the servant being guarded by the Scoia'tael for the Walls have Ears. I think you also have to go to Olcan's house and find evidence he wanted to kill Saskia.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Yrden makes the Endrega Queens piss easy. Once they trip it, go in and hit them with heavy attacks. Be aware that Yrden won't always ensnare them. If they stop moving, but keep turning to face you they aren't ensnared or if they obviously keep on walking. You'll get probably 4 or 5 attacks before they'll block and counter attack. Also, they have a limited area they can move in. If you get far enough away, they will get stuck on the edge of their leashed area. If you want to be cheap, you can lure them to that point then hit them from afar with signs or bombs while they can't touch you.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

FrickenMoron posted:

I'm actually reading through the books right now, finished "The last wish", "Sword of Destiny" and "Blood of Elves", working on the 4th one currently. I really enjoy the characters, especially those you meet in the games and I really hope we get to see Yennefer in the third game.

What happened to Ciri after she resurrected Geralt and Yennefer? I hope she will be in the game too if she didn't die.

After bringing them to the Isle of Avalloch, she left the world using her magic abilities. I think that's part of the reason the Wild Hunt was interested in Geralt and Yennefer. I think they were trying to draw Ciri back so they could capture her using people she cared about as bait. Ciri has Elder Blood and the Wild Hunt is interested in it because it will allow them to more easily traverse to other worlds and conquer them.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

l33t b4c0n posted:

I absolutely love the fact that you can choose not to fight Letho. After fighting so hard to keep Nilfgaardian influences from weakening the North, only to watch Radovid commit genocide against all mages, I just felt like saying "gently caress it, let the goddamn Black Ones purge this awful land." And to have the choice to basically say just that and let Letho walk was oddly comforting amidst the 10 foot high corpse piles of Loc Muinne.
It's important to remember that Nilfgaard is the one ultimately responsible for the genocide thing. Most of the events in the game are the result of Nilfgaard meddling in the affairs of foreign states, so they can weaken them and ultimately conquer them. If you don't reveal their plot, the remaining kings in the northern kingdoms think that the mages are conspiring against them so they can murder them and get themselves more power. That said, I'm guessing Nilfgaard isn't really any better or worse to live in for the average person than those living under the kings of the north.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Red Crown posted:

I think I'm still on act 1, (I'm currently Trying to lift the blood curse for Henselt ), and I don't know what to spend my time and money on as far as equipment. I was wandering around and got a kickass steel sword, and I can buy the plans for an upgraded robust silver sword. Should I, or should I wait it out? Also, is Seltkirk's Armor worth upgrading, or am I going to get a better set soon?

I'd just wait on upgrading the armor, though there's no reason you couldn't use some of the more common upgrades on it. The Draug armor plans are of questionable worth cause you can't build it until Act 3 and by the time you make it to a craftsmen you will have several other armors available. It's an ok choice if you don't have the Vran armor available via the Mystic River quest or can't find the Armor of Ysgilith. I'd go ahead and upgrade your swords as soon as you can. You can also loot some decent swords to use in this act, but I believe they won't be available until later on.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Raneman posted:

I am currently playing through Anatomy of a Crime in TW1, and it tells me to go to Shani's house and talk to her about the autopsy. I go there and talk to here, but there is no autopsy dialogue option. What do I do?

I'm not sure if you've triggered it, but I think it's this quest or a related one that has a game breaking bug. I believe it depends on if you've discovered something major about Raymond in the graveyard or not. If Shani won't talk to you at her place, try the hospital. If that doesn't work, try seeing the grave digger. You may also want to purchase a couple relevant books from the antiquary.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Raneman posted:

Last I saw Raymond he had to... leave. I looked up what books to buy and got the two I need. Every time I talk to Shani she just tells me about some battle.

Also, shouldn't the enhanced edition have fixed game breaking bugs?

EDIT: checked the wiki for some bugs.

I do not have this bug. Shani is still here and I do not have that Old Friend of Mine quest.

I'm not sure if that would help anything but do you have the quest What Lies Beneath active? Only other thing I can think of is maybe it has to be a specific time in the evening if talking to the grave digger isn't doing anything. I think you must be beyond the bug I was thinking of. From what I remember, you have to pay Raymond to continue the investigation, but if you advance another quest Geralt wouldn't have the option of paying Raymond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Raneman posted:

Raymond said he'd go into hiding for a while, so I'll just complete the other quests and maybe it'll lead me back to this one later. Who knows :shrug:

I'm trying to think of anything else that could trigger it. Did you get a message from a little boy to meet Raymond? I think you must have if you already have the Anatomy of a Crime quest, but just wanted to check. He sometimes doesn't automatically talk to Geralt, but if you see him and talk to him it can advance the Vizima confidential quest.

• Locked thread