Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Torsade de Pointes posted:

Horrible as in hard or just tedious? They're super easy once you figure out that where the prompt flashes on the screen corresponds to which button you push. At least it does for the PC version, not sure about the 360 version.

The only good thing about the fights is the hilarious opponent name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Wachepti posted:

Wow! I beat the game a few months ago on Roche's path and thought it was fun but I was really confused. Beat it again on Iorveth's path and WOAH! that was awesome. So much more of what is going on is explained. What a great, cohesive, well told modern RPG. Really puts the Bioware stuff to shame.

Chapter 2 is the height of the game especially the unique nature of the quests and also getting to see what the opposing side is trying to accomplish.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Wachepti posted:

Yeah, the two paths was really cool, but I ended up enjoying Chapter 3 A LOT more this time around because I knew what everyone was after, and what the stakes were.

But even with the small quest improvements it's nowhere as in-depth or rewarding as going through Chapter 2.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Sputty posted:

They don't go through with the whole "everything must be oversized" Dungeons & Dragons aesthetic that's become massively overdone in anything that takes place before the 1800s in games now. They make everything look like people could live in a lot of stuff and it makes the fantasy stuff stand out better while making a world that feels like it could exist

Well it's a low fantasy setting hence the more realistic weapons and other details.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Flipswitch posted:

Plough has definitely become one of my favourite words thanks to this series. :allears:

And it's even used in Russian for the famous Putinism, Пахал, как раб на галерах.

Being ploughed like a gallery slave.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I also got an Assassin perk by finding what looked like Altair's body nearish the balista at the beginning of the game

It's a really hilarious Easter egg, it's nice to play a game that has a good amount of humor.

Holy Calamity! posted:

This game is absolutely perfect for anyone who's gotten into Game of Thrones as of late.

It has mainly similarities such as low fantasy setting mixed with some magical elements and also the similar sense of moral ambiguity especially how even good characters are loaded with character flaws.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Maelin posted:

I have never been able to understand why vsync isn't always enabled by default in every game. How can anybody stand the horizontal tearing?

Because it caps the frame rate and also for some games like Dead Space caused annoying performance problems.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lycus posted:

Roche's Path is definitely darker. I always liked the summation of: Iorveth's Path is more epic, while Roche's Path is darker and more dramatic.

And Roche is really Pro especially killing someone with a thrown two-hand weapon.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Fuzz posted:

Roche is seriously one of the few genuinely likable characters in these games... Zoltan and Dandelion are two more. That was a large part of why I ended up siding with him my first playthrough, he was so much more likable than Iorveth.

And the Roche path for Chapter 2 is more depressing and close to the ambiguous nature of the world than the rebels heroically beat the odds story from the other path.

But people new to the game it's really worth it to replay Chapter from both sides since it adds much more interesting story depth to the game and the alternate paths are really fleshed especially for the quests design feels different enough despite having the same overall goal.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The Aberrant posted:

So I've already played through the vanilla version of this game, is is worth a reply for the EE? What's been added to the game?

Some additional quests and additional extras such as more transition cut-scenes.

I haven't reached Act 3 yet since supposedly it got the most additional content due to all the whining about the final act being too threadbare.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

poptart_fairy posted:

Can someone give me a justification for going with Iorveth in chapter 2? I cannot think of any legitimate reason why I'd break up my bromance with Roche. :ohdear:

Because picking Iorveth allows you to see some lesbomancy and also hang out with some crazy drunk dwarves.

On the other hand it will punish you will the classic cave maze exploring level.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Speedball posted:

I don't seem to be able to pull of ripostes like they mention in the tutorial--the sword icon never shows up. What am I doing wrong?

Also--did my intimidation skill appear just by trying to intimidate someone? Is that how that works?

On higher difficulty levels the help icon disappears.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Magical Zero posted:

Actually the real reward is boning Cynthia. Hell yeah :pervert:

The real award is unlocking the pimp achievements.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

DMBFan23 posted:

I just finished Chapter 1 and went through the first quest of Chapter 2, about how far into the game am I?

Around 30% the real meat of the game is in the second Act while the final Act is really threadbare and doesn't take much time to finish.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Donny posted:

Not really. The main quests are still separate, but the two paths share the location and side quests.

Yup it's sort of disappointing after the Chapter 2 experience for this reason.

At least you can arm wrestle a steroid addicted junkie.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Speedball posted:

Healing potions being entirely a preventative measure that you chug ahead of time is pretty fresh. Was the toxicity thing in Witcher 1? It's a nice idea in both setting lore and in gameplay. Keeps the min-maxing from going out of control.

Yes it had a toxicity system even though you could still handle insane amounts of potions.

Potions are really annoying in Witcher 2 though since they are no longer easy insta-use things.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Coughing Hobo posted:

They haven't, but you'd be insane to think that, now with Enhanced Edition out, they aren't in at least the planning stages for The Witcher 3: Nilfgaard's Best Dance Crew.

I would have liked the ability to chug a potion without meditating, but having to go through an animation that could be interrupted. It'd be a nice other layer; be proactive and drink in peace prior to a battle, or see if you can't grab a moment to breathe and drink up when you have a billion nekkers clawing at your face.

Potions should be used like in the Jackie Chan Drunken Master movies.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm sold on the Witcher series now. I just gambled with a dwarf, outdrank him after downing six beers and fine wines, then drunkenly stumbled over to and beat the poo poo out of some old fist fighter.

Pro-tip for the original games, for the drinking contests use the weakest Natty Light booze since the game only seems to count number of drinks chugged and going with stronger one only makes things worse.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mr Asshat posted:

Roche or Iorveth?
Who should i pick in terms of content, i have managed to avoid having any part of the plot of this game spoiled to me but i have heard that this choice has a pretty big influence on where you go in the game.
I am not big on replaying games, so i will not be playing through it again to pick another path.
I kind of like both characters and their motives so the morality part is just a coin toss, i just want to get as much as possible out of my playthrough.
So angry turban guy or elven scarface?

One path ends in more sex with elves/dwarves while the other path has more sex with humans.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Leinadi posted:

I mostly prefer the second game but there are a few things I like better in the first place. Firstly is that Vizima plays a large part of the game and cities always have the most potential for being fun in RPGs. Especially since Vizima is so extremely well done in terms of its atmosphere. I miss that urban aspect in The Witcher 2. Floatsam is just a backwater town (though well done) and Vergen is not too fun if you ask me.

Secondly, there is nothing approaching the complexity of something like the investigation quest in Act 2 of the original game. Even though the actual outcome didn't actually matter that much (if I remember correctly), and it was set up in a bit of a confusing manner at times (the 'accusation' dialogues could be rather awkward), it was a lot of fun to play through that.

Doing the legwork yourself by reading up on monsters and herbs and all that was also quite a lot of fun if you ask me, made books quite important. Wish they had expanded upon that more.

Also, the music in the first game is *so* much better and fitting to the universe generally speaking if you ask me.

At least both games have random acts of violence against old people.

And the first game really had a much nicer, polished soundtrack overall.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Fuzz posted:

Regardless, dumb derail, let's talk more about how awesome Witcher is and hypothesize on how they might change gameplay or allow for branching plots in 3. I'm mostly worried that they'll go full bore on the whole personal storyline of Geralt and Yennefer and the Wild Hunt, which wouldn't be terrible but it really was the least compelling of all the plotlines in this game and felt the most tacked on and out of left field... it mostly had nothing to do with anything, and existed only to tie the games back to the books and make a weak bridge back to the first game. (the Foltest assassination was a better hook)

Yeah it never meshed well with the story and if anything really confused people not familiar with the short stories.

And most of the elements such as the Wild Hunt would randomly show up for scene or two which really didn't help the confusion.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Red Mundus posted:

I have a question in regards to an Iorveth Act 2 quest

Are there any ways to get forensic tools to pull out the claw in the dead guy's arm? Geralt says it was a succubus that killed him but he also mentions he could use tools to take out the claw and I read a book about autopsies that say the same. Only thing is, I have no idea where to look for such tools.

One of the merchants in town sells all the goodies, so buy before heeding out to avoid backtracking.

Probably the best reward for the quest is the ridiculous sex scene if you side with the monster.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lycus posted:

Ahh, that quest. It provided the line that probably gave me the biggest laugh in the game: "loving idiot actually went in!"

Sometimes it's best to let something with no brains make all the decisions.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lycus posted:

Ahh, that quest. It provided the line that probably gave me the biggest laugh in the game: "loving idiot actually went in!"

Do you blame him?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lasher posted:

Really on the fence about buying this at the moment. I read somewhere that in Witcher 1 there are various things you can do in the beginning of the game that can come back and bite you in the rear end in the endgame. Is it like that this time around? I LOVED Alpha Protocol for that aspect alone and I'm up for another RPG too.

That concept has been pretty much removed from the game even though certain decisions still remove some minor NPCs.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

Witching is all about preparation, that's why they made it so you can only use potions before combat.

Other than that I have very similar complaints about the combat system though.

And it has the annoying weak start where you have not many abilities but have to fight off swarms of bad guys.

Especially for cheap fights such as the nekker swarms in the cave lost soldiers side quest.

Once you start to unlock more skills in the talent tree you get more and more ways to cheaply even up the odds. It's really rewarding fighting another massive nekker swarm in Act II but actually being able to destroy it thanks to have more ability upgrades.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Red Mundus posted:

And I know exactly which stealth section you are talking about.

I managed to glitch it out about 3 different ways and had to revert to a save from 30 minutes ago because it was so bad. Lowest point of the game in my opinion.

It's the classic forced stealth sequence for a game which really isn't built around stealth and ends up being annoying.

Similar to the annoying Act 2 zombie soldier scenes where you lose all your special abilities.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Torsade de Pointes posted:

This is why I love sword spec. You can save up that adrenaline and instant kill people who are a pain in the rear end, with a few exceptions. It's very satisfying to execute that guy. Geralt even cut him down while he had his Quen up :smug:

And the insta-kill animations are pretty amazing, especially the group kills against human type enemies.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Asehujiko posted:

What is that Nilfgaard sorceror boss people are talking about? Is that some Iorveth path thing because I never came across it in my Roche playthrough.

Yes it's for the Iorveth Path where you have to escape from the Nilfgaard camp.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

folgore posted:

Did you go to the quarry harpy cave yet?

This quest is really hilarious since once of stored dreams is a wet dream fantasy of Saskia from some random peasant.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

homerlaw posted:

Why does Iorveth hate Phillipa so much, is it for taking control of Saskia or is there something else too?

He has a boner for Saskia.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

SpRahl posted:

Unfortunately Iorveth is a little too tall for her taste

Yup she has a hankering for dwarves instead.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Smol posted:

It can be useful, but it's also a bit redundant as bombs do the same thing, but more effectively.

Especially with the bomb damage upgrade that really helps for groups.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Speedball posted:

Okay, just hit level 7, which means that next time it's time to decide what I want to specialize in. There's a lot of melee combat, so swordsmanship looks attractive, but being able to chug tons of potions and get free mutagens out of it in an alchemy specialization also looks neat. Which is more newbie-friendly?

Alchemey is sort of annoying to use due to the big change vs. the first game(no more insta-use). I prefer going either the magic or sword path.

Sword path gives you more damage reduction while Magic gives you more group destroying powers.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

SpRahl posted:

Dandelion's voice in the first game was loving horrid whatever you may think of the new Dandelion he is 100x better than the old one.

And also is stupid enough to wander down a trap door just to bone a random demon.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lycus posted:

Alchemist is definitely the most advanced because if you don't know when the big battles are coming up, you might lose your chance to drink your potions, because you can't do it during combat. It's better for subsequent playthroughs.

Though feel free to strategically spec into all three if you want to build the strongest Geralt possible.

Alchemy gets really amazing later on in the game due the mutagen upgrade bonus.

Grab some upgrades such as damage increase and you start doing insane amounts of damage assuming can farm the good ones. But it's not as newbie friendly as sword or magic focus.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ledneh posted:

Oh god I keep getting clobbered by the soldiers around the ballista in the second part of the prologue on normal, help I am the worst witcher :saddowns:

Just dodge roll like crazy and use hit-run tactics.

Fighting group sucks until you start unlock more abilities and equipment.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

keyframe posted:

It's a shame they did not put a new game + mode. You get all those amazing weapons in chapter 3 and you hardly get to use them. :smith:

And it's really :qq: how short the final act lasts compared to the previous parts.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

Do the romance options in Witcher 1 carry over to 2? I'm in act 5 of the first one and I'm getting the feeling it's not going to matter, since Triss keeps telling me to gently caress off then seems friendly enough when a quest demands it. I went with Shani for what its worth.

Besides a small note it really doesn't matter in the Witcher 2 since it assumes Geralt shacks up with Triss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

moot the hopple posted:

I'm just starting out (Chapter 1, beginning Flotsam), I have a few questions.

1) Is there more to Quen than just protecting you from one hit? I have the latest EE version from GOG, I take it that its been nerfed because I don't see whats so great about it when the casting time/vigor cost makes it tricky to use during combat and it seems easier to just dodge away from poo poo. What am I missing?

It has been balanced but it takes some Sign upgrades to be useful.

Basically a shield that also damages bad guys when they score a hit. Also you get upgrades that allow the chain damage to hit even more close range bad guys.

• Locked thread