Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

titties posted:

Same except inline spinners

Never caught a thing with a hula popper. But I still use them because they're fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

titties posted:

Yup, have that tray too.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

prom candy posted:

Even as the words were leaving my mouth I was thinking "why the gently caress would you say something this stupid as you're casting a $20 lure towards a woody area"

Whopper plopper hasn't been my most productive lure but it's my favourite lure to catch fish on for sure. Seems to work best around sunset, but I saw some fish were feeding topwater when we were fishing this morning so I decided to give it a try. One mod I've made on mine is removing the tail hooks because fish seem to hit the hooks in the middle and then the tail ones just end up in the gills. I posted last august about my cursed first fish in my yak that got the tail hook in its gills really bad.

I mean, I did something worse. Took a whopper plopper and put it in an opened envelope while swapping rods and reels around after getting that daiwa reel a couple months ago. Didn't want to leave a treble hooked bait sitting out after all and I was 100% too lazy to grab my tackle box to put it in there which I should have done. Well, when all was said and done, I had tied a small spinner bait on in its place to practice casting in the backyard with and forgotten I stuffed the whopper plopper in the envelope. Then about 2 weeks later while cleaning I through out a weirdly lumpy envelope without a second thought. Rip bluegill whopper plopper, you were too good for this world.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
drat that is like putting $20 in an envelope and throwing it in the trash except with many more steps in between

evilolive
Aug 13, 2014
I've never actually caught anything. Where can I find an idiot's guide to catching fish?

I have a pole.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

evilolive posted:

I've never actually caught anything. Where can I find an idiot's guide to catching fish?

I have a pole.

Your DNR should have an "easy to fish" list. In Michigan for example they have this : https://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-350-79119_79146_81198---,00.html

The other option is a bait shop. At the very least they can tell you what is biting and point you to a good spot to fish. They'll gladly sell you some bait, a few lures, and get you pointed in the right direction.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

titties posted:

Inline spinners are crack for river smallmouth. Find a river that has smallmouth and cast the spinner at anything that looks like cover or rocky bottom. Enjoy fighting smallies on spinning tackle. Profit.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
You're talking about like mepps spinners? Smallies up here love them.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
The only times I've caught river trout is with inline spinners. And what people said already - they are deadly to smallmouth.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Woodpile posted:

The only times I've caught river trout is with inline spinners. And what people said already - they are deadly to smallmouth.

The greatest trout lure I've ever owned.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Woodpile posted:

That is what I bought them for but the only river trout I have caught was floating a worm on a crawler harness.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Even though it looks like the forums are going to survive, we still have an active Discord that's filled with cool people who like to hang out and have fun.

https://discord.gg/YzW2pk

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Dik Hz posted:

Even though it looks like the forums are going to survive, we still have an active Discord that's filled with cool people who like to hang out and have fun.

https://discord.gg/YzW2pk

And dicklures. Never forget the dicklures

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

gay picnic defence posted:

And dicklures. Never forget the dicklures
We have both fishing tips and the balls.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
We caught one chunky whiting and one dink this morning. By we I mean my son did. I didn't catch a drat thing. Rain and heat have killed the surf bite here for now.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Just started fishing again after a long hiatus. Michigan, on a late with a good selection of panfish, largemouth, and allegedly pike, though I have never seen one. Great fun.

Also I have never caught a fish on anything other than live bait or a rubber worm/similar.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

King of Bees posted:

We caught one chunky whiting and one dink this morning. By we I mean my son did. I didn't catch a drat thing. Rain and heat have killed the surf bite here for now.
Better to have your kiddo outfish you than vice versa. Putting loved ones on fish is better than catching them yourself.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Gimmi big lures to work the bottom of the ocean any day over bait. Bait catches monsters too but it also gets dinks while big ol lures are limited to snagging dumb dinks too slow to get out of the way but mostly big boys.

drfunk
Mar 15, 2007

evilolive posted:

I have a pole.

I've never fished anywhere that I couldn't catch something when using night crawlers, a small hook, and a fixed bobber. So I'll teach you what I taught the kids. Get some smallish hooks, around size 4 is good, some split shot, fixed bobbers, and nightcrawlers. Tie that hook on, go ahead and take the time to learn a uni knot. It's a soild knot with multiple uses that will serve you well in all your fishing journeys to come. Put that bobber on your line about 6 inches above your tied on hook. Put a piece of nightcrawler on your hook, that's right, cut your night crawler so you only have a piece and inch or two long. It's crazy how effective just a small piece of night crawler can be. Throw it out, wait for them fish to bite. If you don't get bites move that bobber up the line and cast again at a deeper depth. The split shot comes in handy for multiple reasons. The added weight can help you cast. You can also add it near the hook to change the sink rate. Really aggressive fish can go crazy when that worm sinks faster. As far as where to fish, look for someplace with structure or cover. If you can see downed trees, under water stumps, rocks, docks, grass, anything that can give a little bit of cover and there are fish there. Don't feel like you have to get so close to it that you risk snagging your hook. Otherwise you can easily spend a frustrating amount of time getting out of snags and retying tackle. If your bait isn't in the water, you can't catch fish. If you really fail to catch fish with nighcrawlers and a bobbers then there weren't any fish there to begin with. As for time of day, dusk and dawn are always going to be the most productive hours. Fishing midday requires more knowledge about how fish behave to find them. That's how I taught my kids, start simple and slow and don't underestimate what you can catch with this. We regularly pull in bass, catfish, crappie, more bluegill than we care to catch, and really odd things like snakes, carp, and goby. From there you can branch out to fishing for specific species and learn about the best ways to fish for all of them. But, when that day comes that bass just arn't biting the ole whopper plopper, you can just switch to the nightcrawles and haul something in to get that feel good rush.

drfunk fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jul 9, 2020

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Some of the most fun I've had fishing is jigging, for either squid or cod. You can catch some other stuff too like halibut occasionally but you can't always keep them.

The set up is simple, a hand jigger with a a few steel hooks on the end, usually in the shape of a little caplin or whatever for ground fish catching. You find a little hummock in the salt water, I don't like jigging any more than 200ft at the maximum (it's too far to haul them up). Key is finding an area of the bottom that is slightly raised from the surrounding area. Ground fish like to congregate around these natural "structures" as the tide interaction brings more food stirred up. Just drop your jigger to the bottom, bring it up a foot, and jerk it up and down. If there's fish there you'll get one every time and its some of the most exciting catches on the go (easily catch 25lb plus fish on a hand jigger).

Squid is a bit of a different game but I've been out at the squid with them flying in the boat as fast as you can crank the wheel (the hooks are on a loop of line) and squirting ink everywhere it's insanely fun.

Tldr jig if you get a chance in the saltwater

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Years ago a friend went Humboldt squid fishing and gave me a few 4x8" steaks. I did them hibachi style and it's one of my most memorable meals. Just big honkin slabs of squid, rice and veggies. I didn't do the little volcano with the onion thing though, big fail on my part.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
yall wanna fish?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Time posted:

yall wanna fish?
What kinda fishing you do?

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Dik Hz posted:

What kinda fishing you do?

Caught 4 striper on the beach today and put them all back. Good fish

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
Well I figured out why I never catch any drat trout when I go to the stretch of river closest to my house - the water is too warm! Apparently the move in the summertime is to throw big streamers for shoal bass and stripers that make their way down when the water is warmer, and hold off on trout fishing until October or so.

The guy at the fly shop said my 5/6 weight rod would be ok but not great for shoal bass and I'd be hosed if a striper hit it, and I was drunk on eBay later, and now I have a big 9wt switch rod coming to my house today.

What kind of line do I put on this thing? Can I just use regular old weight forward fly line or do I need something more specialized? Any tips for figuring out the two handed cast?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Stalizard posted:

Well I figured out why I never catch any drat trout when I go to the stretch of river closest to my house - the water is too warm! Apparently the move in the summertime is to throw big streamers for shoal bass and stripers that make their way down when the water is warmer, and hold off on trout fishing until October or so.

The guy at the fly shop said my 5/6 weight rod would be ok but not great for shoal bass and I'd be hosed if a striper hit it, and I was drunk on eBay later, and now I have a big 9wt switch rod coming to my house today.

What kind of line do I put on this thing? Can I just use regular old weight forward fly line or do I need something more specialized? Any tips for figuring out the two handed cast?

I don't have anything specific to offer, but it sounds an awful lot like you're in spey casting country now, so you may want to look into that. Salmon and steelhead are some of the more popular larger fish that flyfishers target, so you might see what kind of techniques they use would apply to your situation as well.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Stalizard posted:

You'll probably want a sinking tip for stripers. Ask the dude at the fly shop. He'll probably let you test out your rod with different lines to see what feels right. Also, it'd be rude not to buy the line from him if you do so.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Finally broke the seal on my pfluger president. We were getting skunked on trout magnets in the canal, so I put on a tiny little white inline spinner for funsies. Imediately starting slamming palm sized sunnies and two undersized chain pickrel. It was like fish crack. Wish we could have stayed longer but the heavens opened up and we got absolutely soaked. It got sunny about ten minutes after we got home.

I'm gonna crush the barbs on those spinners, the chain pickrel had a real problem swallowing them. One bled out on me, it was super sad.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jul 12, 2020

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I have zero regrets squishing almost all my barbs. It really hasn't seemed to make me lose fish, but I've gored or tortured much fewer trying to let em loose.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
If I've mutilated a fish removing a barbed hook I usually pack it in for the day. Haven't gone completely barbless yet (could lose The Big One!) but I'm getting there. Old habits.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Went out last night before dusk and this bastard came out of nowhere and drove us out

There was lightning and we were on a beach using ten foot surf rods in four foot holders. No thanks!

Went back this morning and caught no end of dinks but no keepers either. Tons of sand fleas for bait though. One rake scoop was enough bait for the whole time.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Smith Mt. Lake fishing report. Is it just me or do boat wakes trigger catfish to bite? Doing well but no Big One.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

https://www.wired2fish.com/tackle-tips/new-fishing-gear-for-2021-icast-2020/

Its icast time! This year's offerings seem kinda slim on the baits department, but the wiggling bill cranks and the 13 fishing soft plastic lizard are interesting.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Woodpile posted:

Smith Mt. Lake fishing report. Is it just me or do boat wakes trigger catfish to bite? Doing well but no Big One.
I've definitely observed boat wakes triggering bites, but I don't understand it at all. Never fished Smith Mountain Lake, but I've sure driven past it a bunch. Any trip reports would be welcome!

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Wakes likely stir poo poo up which is good eating.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Some baits ate made to catch fish, all baits are made to catch fishermen

This bait catches Kyles

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
So as a newbie fisherwoman, I'm looking for something to get stuck in with.
I've done a little research but all this terminology of jigs and spinners and stuff has me bamboozled. I was recommended to use a spinning reel rather than a casting reel as the former is 'easier' for newbies to learn?
I was originally looking at a telescopic / travel rod but was warned off these for poor build quality? Someone elsewhere casually threw 'penfishingrods.com' at me but that looks..dangerously insane.

So, I'm looking to get something that is robust as hell and not going to fall apart and had actual quality control performed on it, that doesn't cost a kidney.

I saw the 'st croix mojo yak' rod - https://stcroixrods.com/collections/freshwater - but that seems to be made for fishing in a kayak - could I feasibly just sit on a bank and use that to fish trout or whatever tiddlers are in a stream/river?

What 'made in USA or somewhere with good quality build and QC' rod/reels would you recommend? Combos preferred, prespooled even better as I have no idea how to actually spool a reel.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Iymarra posted:

So as a newbie fisherwoman, I'm looking for something to get stuck in with.
I've done a little research but all this terminology of jigs and spinners and stuff has me bamboozled. I was recommended to use a spinning reel rather than a casting reel as the former is 'easier' for newbies to learn?
I was originally looking at a telescopic / travel rod but was warned off these for poor build quality? Someone elsewhere casually threw 'penfishingrods.com' at me but that looks..dangerously insane.

So, I'm looking to get something that is robust as hell and not going to fall apart and had actual quality control performed on it, that doesn't cost a kidney.

I saw the 'st croix mojo yak' rod - https://stcroixrods.com/collections/freshwater - but that seems to be made for fishing in a kayak - could I feasibly just sit on a bank and use that to fish trout or whatever tiddlers are in a stream/river?

What 'made in USA or somewhere with good quality build and QC' rod/reels would you recommend? Combos preferred, prespooled even better as I have no idea how to actually spool a reel.

Hi! Fishing is a great hobby and something that humans have done since time immemorial. It gets you outdoors and can provide you some very good meals!

It's totally normal to be confused by fishing tackle jargon when you're getting started. Here are some ideas to build on.

- Do not buy a telescopic rod. Tenkara rods are the exception, but if you're using a rod with a reel on it, do not buy a telescopic rod.
- St. Croix makes great rods and you should consider owning one someday, but as you have seen, their rods get super specialized. I'd hold off while you're learning, and if you find yourself doing one particular type of fishing or targeting a specific species then consider upgrading your tools.
- The Daiwa Samurai spinning combo from Dick's Sporting Goods is a very good beginner rod and will set you back the princely sum of $30. Take a look at the 6'6" Medium-Light model. I think it would make a great all-purpose rod while you're figuring stuff out.
- You said you wanted prespooled line. You do not want prespooled line. It is almost always bad quality, and is likely to not cast very well. Spooling a reel is a valuable, fairly simple skill to learn. It's good to know how to do, because if something gets hosed up when you're out on the water you're more likely to be able to fix it, too.
- Consider visiting your local tackle and bait shop! They will have valuable insight on your local area and give you some ideas for popular lures and bait there. Please buy something if they're helpful; lots of those are independent businesses in dire straits right now.
- Feel free to join us on the Discord channel (https://discord.gg/thNRz5). We are nice and we like helping newbies get into it!

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Going with a cheap combo from any of the bigger brands will get you by for at least your first season or two.

I'd also mention that even if you're intimidated by spooling your own line you should still replace whatever comes on the reel. Most tackle shops have big bulk spools of line and they can usually spool it up for you if you ask. Seriously if you go out for your first day of fishing with the line that comes on a combo you will be crying in frustration. when line sits on a reel for so long it gets memory of being coiled up and will re-coil itself every time you give it slack casting. you'll spend all your time cutting/retying/untangling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Iymarra posted:

I have one of these. The only thing that makes it a "yak" rod is that the butt end of the rod is shorter, I love it.