Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Had an awesome time fishing the gulf side of Caldesi island. Got up early and enjoyed a calm paddle a few hundred yards out. My anchor worked awesome on the SUP. I basically had a floating dock I could park anywhere fish from. I saw what i thought were dolphins, but turned out to be HUGE tarpon! They were casually feeding just feet away. They didnt hit dead pin fish, gulp crab and shrimp or a mirrodine. Probably for the better since i woulda went for a ride. We followed them for a while but then gave up. I was shocked at the size of those things!

We also saw a bunch of snook in the flats. The water temp has gone up since last week and they didn't hit poo poo either.

What are some good snook and tarpon tactics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

tesilential posted:

Had an awesome time fishing the gulf side of Caldesi island. Got up early and enjoyed a calm paddle a few hundred yards out. My anchor worked awesome on the SUP. I basically had a floating dock I could park anywhere fish from. I saw what i thought were dolphins, but turned out to be HUGE tarpon! They were casually feeding just feet away. They didnt hit dead pin fish, gulp crab and shrimp or a mirrodine. Probably for the better since i woulda went for a ride. We followed them for a while but then gave up. I was shocked at the size of those things!

We also saw a bunch of snook in the flats. The water temp has gone up since last week and they didn't hit poo poo either.

What are some good snook and tarpon tactics?

Live bait, esp live shrimp is best for snook and tarpoons on the east coast.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Just to follow up on my post about going fishing with my wife's uncle for Stripers a few weeks ago. We got skunked, sadly. He lost one at the boat and that was the only bite all day. Still a nice day and fishing the delta was very different than my usual stomping grounds so I enjoyed it. Wish I could've landed a Striper though. I think I also may have solved my "Black Bass" question I had. I didn't realize it, but they apparently have Spotted Bass in addition to Largemouth and from the photos he showed me they're very hard to distinguish. I think the "Black Bass" label just gets used to lump them together.

tesilential posted:

Hot drat an SA Fishing Thread!
Like many of you I had dreams of going pro as a child, only to have girls and cars divert my interest. Three weeks ago I went bass fishing in a tiny neighborhood retention pond with a coworker and got the bug again. Didn't catch anything, but getting some casts in and watching a gator cruise made me realize I had to start fishing again. Went to the store and got fresh and saltwater licenses since both are nearby. My gf and I recently bought stand up paddle boards to explore the tampa bay waters with and I realized I could use that as a fishing vessel to hunt reds on the flats.

As I type this I am sitting in an office overlooking Tampa Bay. Every time I look down I see a fish jump and get pissed that I can't live and fish here.

Then I step outside and melt in the humidity and want to go home to nice gloomy Seattle.

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Just to follow up on my post about going fishing with my wife's uncle for Stripers a few weeks ago. We got skunked, sadly. He lost one at the boat and that was the only bite all day. Still a nice day and fishing the delta was very different than my usual stomping grounds so I enjoyed it. Wish I could've landed a Striper though. I think I also may have solved my "Black Bass" question I had. I didn't realize it, but they apparently have Spotted Bass in addition to Largemouth and from the photos he showed me they're very hard to distinguish. I think the "Black Bass" label just gets used to lump them together.

As I type this I am sitting in an office overlooking Tampa Bay. Every time I look down I see a fish jump and get pissed that I can't live and fish here.

Then I step outside and melt in the humidity and want to go home to nice gloomy Seattle.

Thats why in Florida the only thing better then being on the water is being IN the water. Plus you just learn to embrace the sweltering sweat. Its worth it for the fishing :feelsgood:

Heres a few clips of me diving under some huge sargrassum weed lines in 400-500' scounting for mahi mahi during the tourney I was in a few weeks ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAzzSRrJES4

IM FROM THE FUTURE fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 30, 2012

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I have a question for you kayak fishers: do any of you have experience loading a kayak onto a car without racks? It doesn't seem like there are too many rack options for my car (2002 Lincoln Continental) -- I've found none, though, who knows what some shop somewhere could rig up. Any of you ever use a foam blocks/straps set up like this: http://maloneautoracks.com/deluxe-kayak-kit.php ?

If everything is done properly, how far can you travel and how fast can you go with this set up? I've heard a lot of people say a lot of different things. I'm also worried that there might not be a sturdy enough place that I can access on the frame my car for bow/stern tie downs. There are a few places down there by the bumper and fender, but it's hard to tell if they'll work until I'm trying the specific tie downs.

The car also has a sun roof. Man I'll be pissed if a kayak can't be loaded onto this car as safely as a Kia or something.

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

Some Other Guy posted:

I have a question for you kayak fishers: do any of you have experience loading a kayak onto a car without racks? It doesn't seem like there are too many rack options for my car (2002 Lincoln Continental) -- I've found none, though, who knows what some shop somewhere could rig up. Any of you ever use a foam blocks/straps set up like this: http://maloneautoracks.com/deluxe-kayak-kit.php ?

If everything is done properly, how far can you travel and how fast can you go with this set up? I've heard a lot of people say a lot of different things. I'm also worried that there might not be a sturdy enough place that I can access on the frame my car for bow/stern tie downs. There are a few places down there by the bumper and fender, but it's hard to tell if they'll work until I'm trying the specific tie downs.

The car also has a sun roof. Man I'll be pissed if a kayak can't be loaded onto this car as safely as a Kia or something.

Thats kind of a bummer. I wouldnt think some cars just had no roofrack options. I only have anecdotal evidence, but I have a friend whos gone all over everywhere with his yak on his tercel at highway speeds all the time with foam blocks and no issues. He uses straps through the windows and front and rear tiedowns. It actually seems more secure then my roof rack because it isnt suspended up in the air like mine is.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

IM FROM THE FUTURE posted:

Thats why in Florida the only thing better then being on the water is being IN the water. Plus you just learn to embrace the sweltering sweat. Its worth it for the fishing :feelsgood:

Heres a few clips of me diving under some huge sargrassum weed lines in 400-500' scounting for mahi mahi during the tourney I was in a few weeks ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAzzSRrJES4

Thats insanely sick

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
No kayaks anymore but I carry two SUPs, a 12' and 9' on top of my 01 accord coupe. Just run ratchet straps through the inside (with doors open) and around the kayak. Tighten them down pretty good. I use foam pool noodles between the and board and between the boards to prevent damage. The entire roof of the car is the support, i would do the same thing if I had 1 kayak. Total cost <$15. A roof rack woulda been $300-500.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
So when you guys actually get the kayaks off the car and are fishing in them, where do you put the fish you catch (assuming you aren't releasing them)? Do they have creels or live wells or coolers or something? The ones I'm looking at don't appear to .

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Some pics I meant to post last week but Imgur was down.
[img] http://i.imgur.com/tOCf6s.jpg[/img]

The last few are from today. Left the rod and gear at the car because the wind was 15mph onshore and I probably woulda sank with the gear. Saw a bunch of redfish and trout in the windy exposed grass flats. Oddly when I got to the calm mangroves I didn't see any predatory fish until I it into the tight mangrove trail, when I ran up on a redfish so close he looked me in the eye. Shoulda wacked him with the paddle!

tesilential fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jun 1, 2012

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

tesilential posted:

Some pics I meant to post last week but Imgur was down.
[timg] http://i.imgur.com/tOCf6s.jpg[/timg]

The last few are from today. Left the rod and gear at the car because the wind was 15mph onshore and I probably woulda sank with the gear. Saw a bunch of redfish and trout in the windy exposed grass flats. Oddly when I got to the calm mangroves I didn't see any predatory fish until I it into the tight mangrove trail, when I ran up on a redfish so close he looked me in the eye. Shoulda wacked him with the paddle!

These pics look possibly awesome except that they are only 90x90 pixels :( Your stories make me really wanna visit the west coast soon with my yak.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Drunkboxer posted:

So when you guys actually get the kayaks off the car and are fishing in them, where do you put the fish you catch (assuming you aren't releasing them)? Do they have creels or live wells or coolers or something? The ones I'm looking at don't appear to .

One of these, at least for panfish:

Just pick it up when it's time to move. Would probably just use a stringer if I was walleye fishing though, since they're too big and the limit is 5.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

IM FROM THE FUTURE posted:

These pics look possibly awesome except that they are only 90x90 pixels :( Your stories make me really wanna visit the west coast soon with my yak.

I'll look at it when I get home. I'm posting from an iPhone so I don't know how it comes off on a big display. I got probated for breaking tables a few weeks back :/

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Some Other Guy posted:

Check out the Yakima Roof Rack Systems, as far as I know they make kits that fit drat near everything. That is what I bought for my kia.

I mainly us a cooler that I have rigged with my pole holders and strap it down to the rear cargo area in my kayak. Half filled with ice it last all day in the sun and can hold 10-12 sand bass/crappie easily along with keep my lunch cold too. The stringer works great but I do a bit of trolling and that is like carrying a wind sock in the water, though they work great loaded with fish to keep u stationary easily.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

After trying to find a good stream with wild trout in it within 2 hours of my house in my state (North Carolina), I listened to a friend of mine and checked out a "stocked" stream north of me 1h15 into Virginia. I had ignored it because it's listed as a stocked/special regulations stream and I prefer wild trout. Turns out that it's 20+ miles of wild brown trout in a tailwater with a small portion of stocked in rainbows. I went up and caught 3 browns my first time out last weekend. Guess I've got a new home stream. :)

I love it and couldn't be happier. If anyone in the NC/VA area wants to go fly fishing, let me know and I'd be happy to take you fishing. Be prepared for some really loving cold water, though.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Rythe posted:

Check out the Yakima Roof Rack Systems, as far as I know they make kits that fit drat near everything. That is what I bought for my kia.

I mainly us a cooler that I have rigged with my pole holders and strap it down to the rear cargo area in my kayak. Half filled with ice it last all day in the sun and can hold 10-12 sand bass/crappie easily along with keep my lunch cold too. The stringer works great but I do a bit of trolling and that is like carrying a wind sock in the water, though they work great loaded with fish to keep u stationary easily.

Well, two of the first places I checked were Yakima and Thule's websites and they didn't have anything. The store said they couldn't find any options in their catalogs either. Since my last post, I actually went and bought a kayak and settled on the foam blocks/straps set up with bow and stern tie downs as well. The kayak is 13.5 feet and 60 lbs and it doesn't move a bit, though, I would be cautious about going on the interstate. The good thing about this system is it's only about $50.

My car is somewhat unique in that it's the last Lincoln Continental they ever made and it didn't sale that well. I think rack manufacturers probably decided just not to bother. I noticed other cars, such as Trans Ams, didn't have any options either. You could probably get something done custom but then you're talking money.

Bought the Trident 13 Angler, by the way. It's an awesome kayak! First trip out just to tool around I caught some bass, so that blessed the boat. Then I got completely skunked yesterday on my first all day trip.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Some Other Guy posted:

Well, two of the first places I checked were Yakima and Thule's websites and they didn't have anything. The store said they couldn't find any options in their catalogs either. Since my last post, I actually went and bought a kayak and settled on the foam blocks/straps set up with bow and stern tie downs as well. The kayak is 13.5 feet and 60 lbs and it doesn't move a bit, though, I would be cautious about going on the interstate. The good thing about this system is it's only about $50.

My car is somewhat unique in that it's the last Lincoln Continental they ever made and it didn't sale that well. I think rack manufacturers probably decided just not to bother. I noticed other cars, such as Trans Ams, didn't have any options either. You could probably get something done custom but then you're talking money.

Bought the Trident 13 Angler, by the way. It's an awesome kayak! First trip out just to tool around I caught some bass, so that blessed the boat. Then I got completely skunked yesterday on my first all day trip.

Nice kayak there, I really like those, and they make a great all around kayak. That sucks about the roof racks but with older model cars it makes sense. If you put two straps across your kayak going through your car and a bow/stern straps attached to the front/rear of the boats you should be able to handle high way speeds fairly easily. A few of my buddies do this with the foam block set up and I have not heard anything bad out of it. Enjoy your kayak, be safe and have a blast sliming that boat.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
What are the best reels I can get for $50 or less? My I havent upgraded rods/reels in 10 years and am now in need. My small reel is completely jammed and needS an insane amount of effort to turn. The large is an old garcia that doesn't lock in reverse. Meaning I can reel backwards and the line will spool up and knot up.

Basically I need a light saltwater reel (can handle 15 lb mono tho I'll be using braid) and a surf reel (for tossing live and dead bait, 20-30lb mono).

I've got $50 for each or $100 for both. Here's the catch. I have been primarily fishing from a SUP, so my poo poo gets wet. I want gear that can take a dunk in saltwater and not be hosed. Realistically, I can clean once every few trips.

What reels should I get that can take the abuse at my $ bracket?

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

Some Other Guy posted:

Thats a nice yak! If you plan to do any anchoring look into getting a trolley they are amazing. Foam blocks are a better choice really, just as easy as a rack systems, as they needs to be taken off and put on or it can easily be stolen. Plus they are terribly loud when empty. The main reason I see for a rack is two yaks.

I had a pretty good sunday. Went spearfishing near Key Largo with the family. Took a pretty nice red grouper that I had to spend a while wrangling out of a hole. A friend took another red, and I got a nice hog fish.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Nice! I've been wanting to try spear fishing but to be honest the sharks worry me. Swimming around carrying bloody fish just seems like asking for it.

----------------------

No gear heads in the fishing thread!¿

Still looking for quality spinning reel recommendations for ~$50.

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

tesilential posted:

Nice! I've been wanting to try spear fishing but to be honest the sharks worry me. Swimming around carrying bloody fish just seems like asking for it.

----------------------

Sharks aren't much of an issue imho. you've gotta be a little more careful where you are with a good number of bulls. But fish are taken out of the water pretty quickly in sharky areas, in water stringers can definitely be an issue. But even then, you've got to understand the mentality of a shark. It wants your fish way more then it wants you. Its hoping mostly for a free lunch, and will quickly give up if given trouble. Its not going to go in with a surprise attack from nowhere and take a bite out of a 7 foot long black diver. If anything it will come in slowly to investigate and see what it can make happen, and 99.9% of the time you can scare them off like any fish with a little bit of aggression. For that one in a million shark that doesn't want to give up and really wants to give you a bad day I carry shark protection in the form of speargun mountable powerheads.

Don't let sharks scare you away from free diving and spearfishing, its probably the most enjoyable hobby I've ever had and I can't recommend it enough. Now the thing to be literally scared for your life of is weekend boaters. They are the real man killers on the water.

Im a big fan of Penn Battles, whatever size you need for the job. Great reels with smooth drags, a great ratio, and pretty bulletproof.

Ive got a pair for me and my wife of battle 8000's on some custom conneley 7' spinning rods. Ive caught some pretty large dolphin and black fin tuna as well as lots of small snapper triggers etc etc on them and they are always ready for the job.

A little over your budget but I've found them on pretty good sales.

IM FROM THE FUTURE fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jun 6, 2012

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

tesilential posted:

I have had a Shimano 2500 FI Symetry rated at 10lb test mounted on a nice Ugly Stick for the last 6 years. The reel cost about 30-40 dollars and I have used it from ponds, ocean, streams and rivers along with constant use out of my kayak. Reliable reel, strong, nice drag, cast really well and with basic maintenance the reel is still going strong after 6 years or so. Shimano makes some really nice quailty reels for a good price, I would glady buy another if I was not looking at converting my remaining spinning reels to baitcasters.

Brozekiel
Jul 20, 2007
Hey a fishing thread! I'm looking to buy a flyfishing rod/reel/line combo. Any go-to recommended set ups? I'm just getting into fly fishing so something under $200 is my budget - either 4, 5, or 6 weight. I'll mostly be fishing for trout but would like to fish salmon, too.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Brozekiel posted:

Hey a fishing thread! I'm looking to buy a flyfishing rod/reel/line combo. Any go-to recommended set ups? I'm just getting into fly fishing so something under $200 is my budget - either 4, 5, or 6 weight. I'll mostly be fishing for trout but would like to fish salmon, too.
I would love to help you out!

Are you looking to do big water or small creek stuff? Where are you located? Do you have experience fly fishing? Do you prefer fiberglass, bamboo, or graphite?

Personally, I love fiberglass and small creeks, so my next purchase is going to be: This kit in 4wt size.

This kit includes everything you need in a graphite rod setup. Nothing fancy, but you'll get a great setup for $70-$80. You don't need to spend more unless you want better line. By the time better gear will have any impact on your fishing ability, you'll know exactly what you want. Get the 8' 5wt or 6wt if you're just starting out. Shorter graphite rods with heavier line are the most forgiving and easiest to learn on. Get the 9' rod if you're going to be fishing open water or big rivers. 6wt is plenty for a 5-7# salmon. Any bigger and you'll want to go up to a 8wt. But that'd be impracticable for trout other than steelhead.

Dik Hz fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 7, 2012

Brozekiel
Jul 20, 2007
I also really like small creeks - it's almost more about the experience than the actual catching for me and smaller rivers/creeks seem to have more of that. Although catching fish is important, too!

I'm in Portland, OR. I've been on the Deschutes for reds and I have some friends who go out there and elsewhere for steelhead quite often. Honestly, catching a steelhead would be a lot of fun but waking up at 4am to fight for a spot on a river bank does not sound very appealing to me. I'd say my skill level is advanced-beginner as I've got basic technique down pat.

Would a 5wt. rod be practical for mostly trout and maybe the occasional salmon? If I got more into it, buying a 7-8wt. rod for bigger guys wouldn't be out of the question.

Any experience/ideas with these? 4 or 5wt or 9' 5wt

I'm the kind of person who'd rather spend a little more money for something if it's going to last a lot longer and or perform a lot better, so I'd probably skip out on the $80 setup.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Brozekiel posted:

I also really like small creeks - it's almost more about the experience than the actual catching for me and smaller rivers/creeks seem to have more of that. Although catching fish is important, too!

I'm in Portland, OR. I've been on the Deschutes for reds and I have some friends who go out there and elsewhere for steelhead quite often. Honestly, catching a steelhead would be a lot of fun but waking up at 4am to fight for a spot on a river bank does not sound very appealing to me. I'd say my skill level is advanced-beginner as I've got basic technique down pat.

Would a 5wt. rod be practical for mostly trout and maybe the occasional salmon? If I got more into it, buying a 7-8wt. rod for bigger guys wouldn't be out of the question.

Any experience/ideas with these? 4 or 5wt or 9' 5wt

I'm the kind of person who'd rather spend a little more money for something if it's going to last a lot longer and or perform a lot better, so I'd probably skip out on the $80 setup.
Any graphite fly rod is going to last until you slip and fall on it. And your tackle setup isn't going to be your limiting factor for quite a while. But to answer your questions, the St. Croix Rio is a great rod. My friend has one, and it's a bit stiff for the line weight, but very friendly. I've never cast the Passport, but a guy in my fly fishing club has one and swears by it. Both rods have excellent reviews.

5wt is fine for small creeks and will help with the wind. But you'll hate life trying to cast an 8'6" rod on a small creeks. As for small creeks, small rods are better. I have a 7'3" glass rod that casts 5/6 weight line, and it's an amazing rod. You really have to slow down your cast with glass, though. You're not going to find a rod that can cover both small creeks and salmon. Spend your money on the small creek rod; you can get a good salmon rod from a $50 kit.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Brozekiel posted:

I use a 9' Redington Classic Trout and a Redington Surge reel, 5 weight. I mostly fish for tiny little trout (like 4") in a tiny little stream, and while my setup isn't precisely ideal for that it has the benefit of being extremely versatile in that I can have a single rig that works for most everything, and I can take it to any trout stream and do well (but based on what I've been told, 5wt is probably too small for salmon). Using this guy in a small stream means a lot of roll casting and takes a gentle hand with the set, but I haven't had a single complaint with it.

I'm pretty new to fly fishing, but the CT is nice because it's medium-action, not fast-action like most other rods I found. Medium action is supposed to be a lot better for learning to cast, and I prefer my CT to fast-action rods I've used. The slower action also helps it to perform better for smaller fish and streams: what would be an overzealous hook-set on a 9' fast-action, and would either jerk the fly away or end up with the fish screaming towards my head at mach 2 actually works well with the slower rod.

I ended up paying right at $200 for my setup including line (the reel was pre-spooled), but it took a couple days of scouring the internet for deals and coupons.

In any case, I'd strongly recommend getting something with a lifetime warranty. Both the items I listed have one (that's a big reason why I got the Surge over the Pursuit, but being aluminum instead of plastic didn't hurt). The Surge's MSRP is $80 unspooled, but you ought to be able to find it for $50 spooled (even though Redington's page says it doesn't come spooled), and you can get CT rods for under $150 all day long now, including from Amazon.

Brozekiel
Jul 20, 2007
Thanks for the great info Dik Hz and Achmed Jones.

I like the idea of a bit slower-action rod. Out of the two cabela's that I posted, I guess the Passport wouldn't be as fast? Also, how is the drag on the Cabela's reels and the Redington? I've heard of some reels having stupid large amounts of variance between each click - a click one way is just right but one click past that will lose a fish.

I'm gonna be fishing towards the end of this month on the Clackamas (you'll have to mentally photoshop out the rafters); here's a picture of it when the levels are pretty high. I like fishing rivers like this and smaller:

No idea how that corresponds to a fitting rod length. Maybe an 8'6" would be okay?

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE
I have a redington fly reel and it's great! I recommend getting one that's made of machined aluminum, not cast. I think I paid $80-ish for mine from a local shop.

When I get back home Ivan tell you the specific model.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

About a week ago I discovered a crack in the seat mounts in the seat pan on my Hobie Outback kayak, so needless to say I was kinda of pissed and depressed my kayak might be scraped or out of commission for some time. I got a hold of my local kayak shop, that I did not buy my Outback from and told them what happened. I sent them some pictures so they could help me file a warranty claim for the crack. The kayak is 5 years old and 3 years out of warranty but Hobie got a hold of me and said it was a error on their part and must have been a weak point on my boat so they are sending me a brand new kayak for the cost of shipping ($87). Not to advertise the company or anything but for those anglers looking at getting into fishing out of a kayak, take a look at Hobie brand boats they stand behind their products and have pretty much secured my next purchase for myself a long with a kayak for my little girl in a few years.

On the plus side I get to slime a brand new kayak for the first time, which is always fun as hell and I get to remount my camera mounts and fish finder on them to a bit better locations. So over all this is going to turn out for the best and end with a good story. The only down side is I am stuck on land for the next 2 weeks or so but with my wife close to being in labor that is a good thing.

do you feel me
Jan 5, 2012

Hows it going catfish? "Nothing, just chilling, waiting to get chopped up."

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Brozekiel posted:

Thanks for the great info Dik Hz and Achmed Jones.

I like the idea of a bit slower-action rod. Out of the two cabela's that I posted, I guess the Passport wouldn't be as fast? Also, how is the drag on the Cabela's reels and the Redington? I've heard of some reels having stupid large amounts of variance between each click - a click one way is just right but one click past that will lose a fish.

I'm gonna be fishing towards the end of this month on the Clackamas (you'll have to mentally photoshop out the rafters); here's a picture of it when the levels are pretty high. I like fishing rivers like this and smaller:

No idea how that corresponds to a fitting rod length. Maybe an 8'6" would be okay?
That's big water! 8'6" would do well. If you want to spend a couple hundred, go down to the local fly shop and ask their advice. If they're not too busy, they'll let you try out a couple rods.

snugglebunny
Aug 21, 2004
go to hell
Had my first cat fishing trip today, got out there around 11am and left at 5pm. Pretty good haul I think.
I was fishing at lake Tawakoni using worms for bait.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

snugglebunny posted:

Had my first cat fishing trip today, got out there around 11am and left at 5pm. Pretty good haul I think.

Just out curiosity, what do you plan on doing with 25 catfish?

snugglebunny
Aug 21, 2004
go to hell

Dik Hz posted:

Just out curiosity, what do you plan on doing with 25 catfish?

I split them up with the other guy I went with and today had a fish fry with the family and a couple neighbors today. Got about 4 large filets left in the freezer in vacuum bags to try baking catfish filets, never had baked catfish but was told it can be good. This was also the fist time I've ever seen one of those guide fishing boats, the amount of fish those guys bring in is mind blowing, makes you wonder about the fish populations but the 4 who I saw come in are booked up through the summer, working 7 days a week at over $400 a trip for 4 people.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

snugglebunny posted:

Nice catch! Are those all channel cats or are there a few blues mixed in? I'm jealous, right now in the places where I fish the day bite has slowed down.

snugglebunny
Aug 21, 2004
go to hell

Some Other Guy posted:

Nice catch! Are those all channel cats or are there a few blues mixed in? I'm jealous, right now in the places where I fish the day bite has slowed down.

There's a few blues mixed in there, the biggest ones are blues I believe. I was always under the assumption that cat fish only ate at night, when I was invited for a day cat fishing trip I figured that was code for just getting drunk at the lake.
I had one blue that had my little fishing reel screaming, don't laugh, It's a Zebco 202 with a Zebco 4040 rod, I have others but this was the first one that was bought for me as a kid so it's got a special place in my heart and I still love to use the thing even if I do get made fun of. Anyways, that blue got all the way to the top, then jumped up and I pulled and the hook straightened out. In my version of the story it was 30+ lbs but probably in reality only about 10lbs.
I think I can say I'm hooked on cat fishing though now.

Brozekiel
Jul 20, 2007

Dik Hz posted:

That's big water! 8'6" would do well. If you want to spend a couple hundred, go down to the local fly shop and ask their advice. If they're not too busy, they'll let you try out a couple rods.

Thanks for all of the help. I was up in Seattle this past weekend with my girlfriend and on the way back to Portland, I noticed a giant store off the side of the highway called "Cabella's." She reluctantly took the next exit after a bit of pleading and with the promise of some kettle corn. I'd never been to a Cabella's before - drat that place is huuuge. I could have spent hours there but I didn't feel like pushing my luck.

I ended up getting a pretty good deal: $220 for a Redington Classic Trout 9' 5wt and the Cabella's Prestige Premier reel spooled. Woop! Fishin' time!

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Brozekiel posted:

Thanks for all of the help. I was up in Seattle this past weekend with my girlfriend and on the way back to Portland, I noticed a giant store off the side of the highway called "Cabella's." She reluctantly took the next exit after a bit of pleading and with the promise of some kettle corn. I'd never been to a Cabella's before - drat that place is huuuge. I could have spent hours there but I didn't feel like pushing my luck.

I ended up getting a pretty good deal: $220 for a Redington Classic Trout 9' 5wt and the Cabella's Prestige Premier reel spooled. Woop! Fishin' time!

Nice pickup. You should be able to launch that 9'er a country mile. Line up to a 6wt and you'll be fine for the bulk of salmon fishing. The large arbor reel will let you play salmon on the reel. You won't find too many trout that require it, though. Good luck and keep us posted on how you fare on the water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Caught my first fishes of the year today. 3", 4", and 6" Bluegill, and a couple of 8" Yellow Bullheads. The friend I was with got two Bluegill at 3" and 5", and a 7" Largemouth.

It was good to spend a couple hours doing nothing with a line in the water, even better to actually catch something.