Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

The Mandingo posted:

Damnit, I keep losing lures from being bad at tying knots. I tossed a Jitterbug to the moon last night after my trilene knot came undone.

What am I doing wrong? Thinking about switching to a slip knot.

Are they breaking or coming undone? If the latter, you may not be tying it right or maybe you're not closing it enough. For mono, it helps to spit on the line so it slides tight without causing abrasion damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Pretty bad if it came undone on the cast, Trilene knot seems simple but it's annoying because you have to keep both tag ends equally tight.

I like the modified uni knot for tying to hooks but I usually just do 3-5 twists, I think you only need more for braid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxS7fVOkmDo

I just use Palomar for any braid, fast and strong.

Improved clinch on mono/fluoro if I'm in a real hurry.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

The Mandingo posted:

Damnit, I keep losing lures from being bad at tying knots. I tossed a Jitterbug to the moon last night after my trilene knot came undone.

This post made me sad. I recently lost a jitterbug that I had had since I was a kid. The replacement I got just doesn't feel the same.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

My oldest lure (or I should say, the one I've had the longest) is a black Jitterbug that I have had for nearly 20 years. In fact, I think I may have borrowed it from my brother's tacklebox and never returned it. :ninja:

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 21, 2016

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Ikantski posted:

Pretty bad if it came undone on the cast, Trilene knot seems simple but it's annoying because you have to keep both tag ends equally tight.

What, that is crazy, the Trilene is super simple and seems to work equally well in floro and braid. I do get the occasional failure in floro, but it is always on like my first or second cast so it is clearly a tying error.

I have been trying to find a loop knot that I really like, but so far none of them are really jumping out at me.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

DoctaFun posted:

The best trick for this is to carry a small wooden dowel with you in the boat if you use braid in a snaggy area. Just wrap the line around the dowel a few times and then pull the dowel until the lure is free or the line breaks.

I was fishing with a buddy the other day and got snagged and he just hands me this wooden dowel(like a foot long and maybe 1 inch diameter, with some electrical tape on the middle for the line to dig into and not slip), I had no idea what it was for until he told me. I guess it's a catfishing trick? Works like an absolute charm though, you could probably use the handle of a net or something too if you wanted.
It's just a super common trick that people pass on or spontaneously come up with after they cut the poo poo out of their fingers a couple times. I usually just pick up a pencil-sized twig and give it two quick loops on the line before turning it perpendicular and then walking backward to undo the snag.

The enamel of my front teeth got all busted to poo poo from biting line and bike accidents so nowdays I wear a pair of nail trimmers on a dog-tag chain when I go fishing.. Spent a grand capping my busted up front teeth there's no way I'm going to actively ruin that poo poo!

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

bongwizzard posted:

What, that is crazy, the Trilene is super simple and seems to work equally well in floro and braid. I do get the occasional failure in floro, but it is always on like my first or second cast so it is clearly a tying error.

I have been trying to find a loop knot that I really like, but so far none of them are really jumping out at me.

Trilene is simple, just annoying to cinch up. The other reason I went with uni was that uni to uni is great to join mainline to leaders so my stupid brain only has to master one knot.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Ikantski posted:

Trilene knot seems simple but it's annoying because you have to keep both tag ends equally tight.
I have no idea what you mean. It can be annoying if you don't have a long enough tag to do your requisite 5-8 loops before passing it through, but this is the last knot I worry about keeping everything tight - unless you mis-thread it. If you miss one of the loops when you thread the tag through on a trilene knot, then it'll look legit and fall apart at the first shock.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Enigma posted:

Are they breaking or coming undone? If the latter, you may not be tying it right or maybe you're not closing it enough. For mono, it helps to spit on the line so it slides tight without causing abrasion damage.

Just came undone. I guess I'm never t tying tight enough. I do lick it though, remembered that much from my childhood. I guess I'm just not pulling down tight.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

The Mandingo posted:

Just came undone. I guess I'm never t tying tight enough. I do lick it though, remembered that much from my childhood. I guess I'm just not pulling down tight.

Yeah you should be setting the knot tightly. Don't be afraid to pull with a lot of force, so long as you aren't breaking the line. Some knots, like a San Diego jam knot, actually tighten from tension on the mainline rather than risk coming undone, so that's an option too. That particular knot is more suited for thick mono, but I've tied it with as low as 8lb. with no problems. Also, close it slowly to make sure everything stays neatly in place and you don't pinch any open loops.

And as stated above, if you are using braid, learn a braid knot like palomar. Braid is slick and more prone to coming undone with subpar knots.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I have always heard that but I have never had even the most sloppily tied knot slip in braid. It seems like braid just digs into itself and locks down pretty loving tight. Were earlier generations of braid a lot stiffer and slicker than the stuff we have now?

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

bongwizzard posted:

I have always heard that but I have never had even the most sloppily tied knot slip in braid. It seems like braid just digs into itself and locks down pretty loving tight. Were earlier generations of braid a lot stiffer and slicker than the stuff we have now?

I think it depends on the brand and use case. I've had it slip before while setting the hook in 150+ feet of water in current with a 6 oz. sinker. I wouldn't worry about it for inshore or cases where the line isn't under nearly as much tension.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I'm using 6 lb stren mono, and for whatever reason my wife's lures never come loose, just mine. I think it's because she doesn't cast very hard and I try to chunk lures all the way across the lake.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

My daughter officially caught her first ever fish by herself, today was such a blast. Ended up with 4 Blue Gills total and some crazy awesome memories.

I think I'm going to check my local laws to make sure I can keep those fish and turn then into catfish bait.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

coyo7e posted:

If you haven't heard about it yet, you should just go ahead and watch pretty much every episode of Niggas On Da' River ,

Man thanks for this, I am loving these

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Rythe posted:

I think I'm going to check my local laws to make sure I can keep those fish and turn then into catfish bait.
The two main questions most of the time are "is it a gamefish?" and "is it legal to use gamefish as bait in this body of water or for what you're fishing for".

I imagine nobody would care if you turned those fish into bait balls for catfish in all likelihood.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Bluegills aren't gamefish.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I figured as much, would be nice to knock out catfish bait gathering at the same time I can take my little one out.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Finally caught a legal rock crab after a grueling day of learning the ropes here.

Mm mm rock crab.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Stupid phone.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Rock crab, not a red rock? I'm not a crab expert, all I know are dungeness and red rock.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

coyo7e posted:

Rock crab, not a red rock? I'm not a crab expert, all I know are dungeness and red rock.

I suppose it's red rock crab. Caught two today over 6 inches.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I thought they're all keepers and most use them for bait but their claws are good eating?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

coyo7e posted:

I thought they're all keepers and most use them for bait but their claws are good eating?

5inch min male/female(Dungees are 6inch min and only males). That guy was kinda harder to eat than a same size dungee due to thicker shell but tasted just as good. I got a 5inch and another 6inch one tonight. Cooked them and chilled them for dinner tomorrow.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Cool. I would like to go crabbing but I don't want to carry a wet stank crab pot in my car, and my pickup uses so much gas ugh.

I've been out steelheading on the Mack a few times and been up to Leaburg to nail some rainbows with friends, but nothing more exciting than a fat 13" stocker trout that was a real nice meal.

Well, I take that back because I finally got a steelhead on for the first time this season. Lost two, they fought like bastards and I hosed up my drag and lost them both. They were pretty exciting to fight for 5 minutes though.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 25, 2016

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

coyo7e posted:

Cool. I would like to go crabbing but I don't want to carry a wet stank crab pot in my car,

They aren't nearly as nice to use, but I've got a couple pots that fold up. You could totally fit a few in a big garbage bag and not have to worry about it.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Folds flat. Cost $20. Add rope and bait.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied

coyo7e posted:

The two main questions most of the time are "is it a gamefish?" and "is it legal to use gamefish as bait in this body of water or for what you're fishing for".

I imagine nobody would care if you turned those fish into bait balls for catfish in all likelihood.

There are some fishing spots local to me, I have seen online that want to get rid of as many as possible, and even say "if you pull it out of the water, don't put it back in" or to the effect of "no limit, keep them all."

On another note I saw the biggest crayfish I have ever seen last Saturday. I thought it may have been a small lobster or some poo poo. From tail to nose it had to be 5", then another 2" for claws and probably had them spread another 3-4"! I took a photo but it really does it no justice. It shocked me because it was slowly creeping forward. Once I saw it I immediately changed up my bait offering to a darker larger craw looking bait. It was more of a brownish color than I expected too.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

LingcodKilla posted:

Folds flat. Cost $20. Add rope and bait.
What brand is it?
Do you have a picture of it folded up? I've been thinking of getting one that will fit on the kayak so I can drop it off somewhere on the way to a fishing spot.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

gay picnic defence posted:

What brand is it?
Do you have a picture of it folded up? I've been thinking of getting one that will fit on the kayak so I can drop it off somewhere on the way to a fishing spot.

https://www.amazon.com/Danielson-Fold-up-Crab-24-inch-square/dp/B0000AYB5U

It will most certainly fit on a kayak.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

gay picnic defence posted:

What brand is it?
If you're in the PNW they sell those at Bi-Mart. They're next to the crayfish traps and the bait fridge.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

He's a kiwi.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
It's in the high 90s with the heat index in the mid 100s. It is officially too hot to fish. I tried for a little while this morning but it was just miserable. I tried flipping some pads for bass, but I assume they're all super deep and the idea of spending a few hours roasting on top my kayak is even less appealing. I was supposed to take a week or so off to get some fishing done but at this point I might as will go back to work.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

bongwizzard posted:

It's in the high 90s with the heat index in the mid 100s. It is officially too hot to fish. I tried for a little while this morning but it was just miserable. I tried flipping some pads for bass, but I assume they're all super deep and the idea of spending a few hours roasting on top my kayak is even less appealing. I was supposed to take a week or so off to get some fishing done but at this point I might as will go back to work.

Yep. I have been fishing most weekends with my buddy at his pond, but it is just so miserable. So instead I just buy more stuff off Amazon to use some other time.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

LingcodKilla posted:

He's a kiwi.

:catstare:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Okay here's something I know basically nothing about : fishing for catfish. I mean I understand the bait, but I'm not really sure what the best rig setup is.

I'd like to do some fishing for channel cats in some ponds I've heard may have some pretty decent-sized fish, but I don't really know how you're supposed to do it. Is it a toss it and let it sit thing, or should I be jigging? I hear that a slip bobber's good but without knowing water depth it's kinda hit or miss for me from the shore. I'm in OR so trotlines are a no-no.

Also, I really want some of these things. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aD9l8c1WV-8 You can just toss it into a slow current and go back and forth all day!

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Eastern WA goon here. What I've seen people do locally:

1. 1-3 oz slip weight, circle hook, and whatever bait. Cut bait and chicken livers seem popular around me.
2. Slip bobber with circle hook and similar bait. You have to mess with the bobber depth until you get the bait a few inches off the bottom.

I've done both myself, unsuccessfully so far.

Here's a good video from the WA Dept of Fish & Wildlife about catfish. Check out their other videos, too - they're pretty great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewPWnGYG--U

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I used a circle hook baited with whatever with about 12 inches of leader attached to a swivel. Above the swivel I'd put a slider with enough weight to toss it out as far as you want. Toss out and place in spike. Grab a beer and wait.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
This guy showed me some rig, who's name I forget, that was like a Carolina rig, but maybe 3" up from the hook, you place a small bobber. This floats the baited hook off the bottom, but still lets the rig hold in current.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

bongwizzard posted:

This guy showed me some rig, who's name I forget, that was like a Carolina rig, but maybe 3" up from the hook, you place a small bobber. This floats the baited hook off the bottom, but still lets the rig hold in current.

This? A guy I know uses it some and likes it. It is basically a drop shot rig with some help from the bobber.