Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snugglebunny
Aug 21, 2004
go to hell

EnsignVix posted:

Anyone have carp fishing experience? I could clearly see three very large carp just kind of hanging out near the surface on my last outing. I tried a few different baits but they didn't seem interested in anything. I'm actually not sure my 8 lbs. test line would've been up for the challenge, these things were pretty massive!

Looking online I see corn might work, or stink baits similar to what you'd use for catfish. Would cut bait sunnys work? I'd like to get back out there with maybe heavier line and some bait that may actually produce some strikes. They seem to just hang out in one spot and not move around all that much so I suspect I'll be able to find them in the same general area next time.

I've always just used canned corn, to be specific, Great Value canned corn. Put a few on a hook (barb filed off), throw it out under a bobber then throw a handful of corn out near it. Fun to catch and can sometimes catch the same one a few times, hungry and greedy little buggers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Nightcrawlers on the bottom work pretty well too. Just bait it up and throw it out Huck Finn style. Then read a book or something because carp will take their sweet time.

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012
I have some questions about hooking nightcrawlers. How do you guys hook them? I've been told to hook them through multiple times so one end isn't dangling off hook and eventually bitten off - is this right?

Also, after you've cast your line and you're waiting for something to bite, doesn't your nightcrawler eventually drown and die? Will the fish still want it?

To show how much of a noob I am at fishing: I caught my first fish ever last weekend and it was the smallest bass I had ever seen. It fit in the palm of my hand, but it was shiny green and beautiful. But worst of all, I only caught it because the hook had gone through his eye :( I didn't even catch it properly.

Flu Roo
Apr 13, 2010

Nice OP:

I'm an experienced (15+ years) fisherman who has recently taken to kayak fishing on lakes in eastern PA. I've caught plenty of largemouth, but have my sights set on a muskie. I've read all the 101 level stuff- Leaders, 6" lures, etc... but I'm getting zero results. Here's the question: Do I abandon bass fishing and stick to the 6" lures only in the hopes of nailing one, or do I just use leaders on the smaller lures and softbodies and hope for a muskie strike one day?

EnsignVix
Jul 11, 2006

Hand of the King posted:

I have some questions about hooking nightcrawlers. How do you guys hook them? I've been told to hook them through multiple times so one end isn't dangling off hook and eventually bitten off - is this right?

Also, after you've cast your line and you're waiting for something to bite, doesn't your nightcrawler eventually drown and die? Will the fish still want it?

To show how much of a noob I am at fishing: I caught my first fish ever last weekend and it was the smallest bass I had ever seen. It fit in the palm of my hand, but it was shiny green and beautiful. But worst of all, I only caught it because the hook had gone through his eye :( I didn't even catch it properly.

I hook my nightcrawlers one of three ways:

First, if going for trout, I typically cut the nightcrawler in half and just hook it through a thick area once. This also seems to be effective for most panfish.

The second way, is as you describe, multiple passes through the hook with a whole worm. I find bass typically hit this, but trout tend to not. You can use this if your bait keeps getting stolen by little sunnys or whatever that you have no interest in catching as they won't typically hit a presentation that big.

The third way I find pretty effective for all sorts of larger fish. You hook a whole nightcrawler maybe half an inch in from the nose. I then essentially do what I'd do with a rubber worm on a texas rig. The goal is to have the worm hanging straight down with the top near the eyelet of the hook and the hook point embedded in the worm. This will make it a bit more weedless, and give it a more natural presentation. You can reel this one in slowly if it isn't getting strikes by just sitting out there. It should appear more realistic than the above options on a slow reel.

Yes, they drown and die. Fish will still hit it. Sometimes if I don't get any action though I may put a fresh worm on so it is all nice and wriggly.

Stick with it, scope out new areas, try new techniques. When I first got back into it not too long ago, I barely caught anything but now I'm fairly confident I won't skunk out on any given trip (although I still do from time to time).

EnsignVix
Jul 11, 2006

Flu Roo posted:

Nice OP:

I'm an experienced (15+ years) fisherman who has recently taken to kayak fishing on lakes in eastern PA. I've caught plenty of largemouth, but have my sights set on a muskie. I've read all the 101 level stuff- Leaders, 6" lures, etc... but I'm getting zero results. Here's the question: Do I abandon bass fishing and stick to the 6" lures only in the hopes of nailing one, or do I just use leaders on the smaller lures and softbodies and hope for a muskie strike one day?

Also in eastern PA. While I never caught a musky, I've talked to a few guys who have and from what I recall the one used a smaller spoon, one used a giant fake minnow lure, and a third used live bait in the form of a smallish chub. I heard as recently as a year ago that the Lehigh has some decent musky in it.

Seems like a fun goal, I'm not sure if I could give up bass/trout fishing and go 100% musky though. I would probably want to split it up and maybe use lures that might work on both during the time I don't have my huge lures on.

Oh one last story, my Dad said he'd shoot for musky only after his line was obviously cut by one striking his normal bait/lures. If that happened, he'd just put on a steel leader, use the same bait and cast right back out. He said they are likely to hit again.

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012

EnsignVix posted:

I hook my nightcrawlers one of three ways:

First, if going for trout, I typically cut the nightcrawler in half and just hook it through a thick area once. This also seems to be effective for most panfish.

The second way, is as you describe, multiple passes through the hook with a whole worm. I find bass typically hit this, but trout tend to not. You can use this if your bait keeps getting stolen by little sunnys or whatever that you have no interest in catching as they won't typically hit a presentation that big.

The third way I find pretty effective for all sorts of larger fish. You hook a whole nightcrawler maybe half an inch in from the nose. I then essentially do what I'd do with a rubber worm on a texas rig. The goal is to have the worm hanging straight down with the top near the eyelet of the hook and the hook point embedded in the worm. This will make it a bit more weedless, and give it a more natural presentation. You can reel this one in slowly if it isn't getting strikes by just sitting out there. It should appear more realistic than the above options on a slow reel.

Yes, they drown and die. Fish will still hit it. Sometimes if I don't get any action though I may put a fresh worm on so it is all nice and wriggly.

Stick with it, scope out new areas, try new techniques. When I first got back into it not too long ago, I barely caught anything but now I'm fairly confident I won't skunk out on any given trip (although I still do from time to time).

Thanks! This is helpful.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
I'm a brand-new fisher (literally went out on Wednesday for the first time ever). My friend loves fishing so he got me all set up with cheap gear, and took me out to a medium-sized local lake. I didn't catch anything, but neither did any of the other half dozen or so people fishing (except for a few tiny little fish).

Anyway, I have a stupid question. Would it be a waste of time to try fishing in my neighborhood retention pond area? It's pretty small, and I dunno if there would be any fish there...

Flu Roo
Apr 13, 2010

EnsignVix posted:

Also in eastern PA. While I never caught a musky, I've talked to a few guys who have and from what I recall the one used a smaller spoon, one used a giant fake minnow lure, and a third used live bait in the form of a smallish chub. I heard as recently as a year ago that the Lehigh has some decent musky in it.

Seems like a fun goal, I'm not sure if I could give up bass/trout fishing and go 100% musky though. I would probably want to split it up and maybe use lures that might work on both during the time I don't have my huge lures on.

Oh one last story, my Dad said he'd shoot for musky only after his line was obviously cut by one striking his normal bait/lures. If that happened, he'd just put on a steel leader, use the same bait and cast right back out. He said they are likely to hit again.

Most people who catch muskies will tell you it was an accident while fishing for bass. I, in fact, was using a swimsenko last week and had something hit quite hard and cut my line, was def a muskie.

If you like bass and are in eastern PA, definitely check out Marsh Creek state park, lots of action there even in this hot weather!

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Drunk Tomato posted:

I'm a brand-new fisher (literally went out on Wednesday for the first time ever). My friend loves fishing so he got me all set up with cheap gear, and took me out to a medium-sized local lake. I didn't catch anything, but neither did any of the other half dozen or so people fishing (except for a few tiny little fish).

Anyway, I have a stupid question. Would it be a waste of time to try fishing in my neighborhood retention pond area? It's pretty small, and I dunno if there would be any fish there...

I've never fished a retention pond but I've read that fish eggs can be transferred to them the legs/bodies of birds. It's certainly worth a shot.

Flu Roo
Apr 13, 2010

Drunk Tomato posted:

Would it be a waste of time to try fishing in my neighborhood retention pond area? It's pretty small, and I dunno if there would be any fish there...

You may or may not have results there, but don't let pond size or depth scare you away as a general rule, I've pulled some big fish out of some tiny-rear end ponds. Lately I've pulled some monster bass out of weed bed edges that are no more than 6" deep.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Drunk Tomato posted:

Always give those a shot, a few little ponds/canals down here in the Dallas area have produced some monster bass from time to time. My buddies and me always hit those up when we are going out in the kayaks if we happen to see one while we are traveling from lake to lake.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Drunk Tomato posted:

Definitely hit those ponds! I started really fishing in May and so far my best success has been ponds. Sure I caught a snook after work one day. I also enjoyed snagging a couple small lesser amber jacks and mangrove snapper yesterday after several hours of searing sun. But so far, it can't top walking 100 yards from my door step around 7:20pm this afternoon, and landing 3 largemouth in 40 minutes and walking home. The first actually spit the hook on his second jump because I loosened the drag on my 4000 stradic FJ (overkill for freshwater) to play with him. Afterwards I landed a 4 lber about 15 ft in front of me, my closest bass catch yet! The other two were smaller and caught on the same new Zara Spoon jr in "shiny mullet" color (black top, silver mid, white belly)

The odd thing is I've seem to catch on to the topwater game before sub surface game. I've only caught 1 bass on a rubber worm and probably 20 on a spook. I really need to develop my soft bait game in order to successfully target redfish. I plan on tying on a Yamamoto stick work Texas style and hitting the pond everyday after work for a few minutes. Gotta practice in freshwater to be ready for the salt.

I'm lucky to have a pond so close. It's actually easier for me go to the pond and fish than to find a place to cast with practice weights.

Edit: Fished Naples, FL Pier yesterday. Caught a few fish as I mentioned above, but was utterly unprepared for pier fishing as I normally fish the flats. I saw TONS of large snook cruising the flats and circling the pier pilings.

I started off with lures, trying a white Spro bucktail with a white grub curly tail teaser with some procure on it. Nothing. Switched to a silver spoon because the bait (green backs and tiny minnows which the green backs were eating) were PLENTIFUL, I'm thinking in the billions. All day long the bait completely covered the pier and surrounding beach. Nothing took the spoon. Tried a mirrodine and a glow gulp shrimp. The occasional snook or mango would check it out when I worked it by, but none made the slightest move towards it (water was crystal clear, from the pier everything was visible.

EDIT 2: in addition to the large amounts of bait around, being on a 10"ft high pier definitely doesn't help the presentation and action of using lures. It was impossible to use a top water correctly, and nothing but a slow retrieve on the bucktail could get me close to the bottom.

I noticed some old timers limiting out on barely slot size mangrove snapper. All were using small minnow bait or small green backs. I grew tired of not catching when I could so plainly see small mangrove snapper, larger snapper, small medium and large snook, sheephead all over the pilings picking on barnacles and what could have been schoolie reds running all over the flats and 3 ft deep water surrounding the pilings I was fishing, so for the first time ever, I tied on a Sabiki.

I was not fully prepared for what happened next. After dropping the line, I pulled up 5 green backs, 2 of which flipped off. Having only a single rod and tackle, I quickly cut off the sabiki, tied on a 2/0 circle hook (had to do this like 5 times, next time will use 2 rods) and sent a green back straight down a piling. Game changer. Immediately 8 or 10 mangos schooled up on it and circled. My bait puts up a valiant effort to escape but his frantic movement only entices them. I saw one come in for the kill. Took a bite out of him but he was still alive. The game fish are picky because there is so much bait present, think national geographic bait balls. his tenacity is off putting and he is left alone momentarily. A minute later I pull up a 10" mango. By this time my other 2 green backs are dead. Long story short the mango bite slowed down at 10am but a couple small amber jacks feasted on green back filets. I was never prepared with a green back when the snook were around and they seemed incredibly spooky and finicky. They wouldn't run away but they seemed to differentiate between fisherman's greenback and wild greenback. None of the 50 or so guys on the pier caught any of the 100's of snook around it.

This post ended up much longer than I anticipated. I will post a few pics when I get to a PC. afraid if I post from my phone I could break the tables and get a probation.

tesilential fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Aug 18, 2012

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I'm thinking about getting into kayak fishing(hard enough that it's influencing the choice of my next car...) and was wondering if the ascend stuff from Bass Pro would be decent to get started with? I've wanted to get back into fishing for some time but boats are expensive, I live in an apartment, don't have a tow vehicle etc... but realized recently that getting a kayak would be perfect for my needs.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

fknlo posted:

I'm thinking about getting into kayak fishing(hard enough that it's influencing the choice of my next car...) and was wondering if the ascend stuff from Bass Pro would be decent to get started with? I've wanted to get back into fishing for some time but boats are expensive, I live in an apartment, don't have a tow vehicle etc... but realized recently that getting a kayak would be perfect for my needs.

The Ascend kayaks IMO are neither good or bad, they will get you on the water in a kayak fishing. Most people I know that have one end up selling it really fast and upgrading to a better kayak platform to fish out of. How much of a budget are you looking at? Might be able to point you in a good direction brand wise, can even nab great brands on craigslist if you get some what lucky.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Rythe posted:

The Ascend kayaks IMO are neither good or bad, they will get you on the water in a kayak fishing. Most people I know that have one end up selling it really fast and upgrading to a better kayak platform to fish out of. How much of a budget are you looking at? Might be able to point you in a good direction brand wise, can even nab great brands on craigslist if you get some what lucky.

If I wait till next year, price won't be much of an issue. I'm considering buying something cheap this year and then selling it and getting something better next year. The $500 for the 12' Ascend is about the most I'd want to spend right now. There isn't poo poo on craigslist as I don't think there's much a kayak scene here in Kansas City. I'm probably just better off waiting until spring and doing it right. I'd need a roof rack and all that jazz right off the bat which would drive the cost up too.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

fknlo posted:

If I wait till next year, price won't be much of an issue. I'm considering buying something cheap this year and then selling it and getting something better next year. The $500 for the 12' Ascend is about the most I'd want to spend right now. There isn't poo poo on craigslist as I don't think there's much a kayak scene here in Kansas City. I'm probably just better off waiting until spring and doing it right. I'd need a roof rack and all that jazz right off the bat which would drive the cost up too.

Yeah the kayak scene is really not that great in your area unless you head down to the Ozarks than it gets a lot better. That makes hunting craigslist a tad harder if there are not many kayakers in the area. You can get a used Native, Wilderness, Ride brand kayak for $500 used fairly easily, those are all solid brands and I bet you can even find one in pretty good shape. A good idea is to find a local kayak dealer that does demo days and get out there and paddle as many boats as you can, test them out for manuverability, stability, room and comfort.

EnsignVix
Jul 11, 2006

Well the carp were nowhere to be found probably because of some crazy bloom going on. Just a week passed and this canal became almost unfishable due to heavy vegetation. Still a great trip though.

Deer spotted on my way in, it wasn't afraid of my truck.

Finally got a trout, they have been pretty elusive since the water got warm. I had to go about 18 feet to get this one. He had 4 hooks in his mouth excluding mine. I wonder how he managed that.

I had two lines out and right after getting that trout, a small bass hit my shallow minnow. I took a quick picture before letting him go.

Immediately after I got my lines out my shallow line's bobber went down and I knew something was strange as it didn't feel like a normal fish. Got my first turtle. Thankfully the hook fell out on it's own when it was almost on shore. I think it was a snapping turtle so I was a bit unsure what I'd have to do there. Kinda big guy too. No picture of that one since I didn't actually land him.

Cluricaun
Jul 31, 2009

Bang.

Cluricaun posted:

I had a perch charter booked for this past Sunday that ended up assing out at the last minute because the wind was coming into the harbor from the northeast which was causing Lake Michigan to be sporting some five foot swells and the captain told us to rebook. Quite the bummer to wake up at 3:00 am to drive an hour and a half just to go back home, but such are the ways of charters. I'm turning it into a king salmon charter in July instead.

That being said the temp crash after the oddly warm March in Illinois has effectively shut down my honey holes for the time being and so I've stuck to dragging lethargic walleye out of the Fox River by my house. No pics yet, nobody is impressed with any 11 inch walters, but I have a huge season planned and I'll be damned if I don't get something legendary posted in here in the next few months.

I am a man of my word, even though it took me much longer than anticipated due to things other than fishing taking up a great deal of my time this summer, but I'd like to show off a little bit of what I've been up to.

First off, that salmon charter in July went off flawlessly, six guys limited out on salmon in two hours of fishing which is damned near unheard of. Hard on the hands, hard on the arms, but oh so worth it when you can coax monsters out of the depth like these. I went 6 for 6 by bringing in every bite on my turns and netted enough filets to open a restaurant. Yes, I'm doing the depth of field trick here by holding the fish closer to the camera as evidenced by my giant sausage fingers on my bottom hand, but this sucker still ran well upwards of 25lbs and took me damned near a half hour to bring up and in from the near 100 foot depths we were running spoons at:

Then two weeks ago I splashed about at my Wisconsin river spot. Rough year for the ol Wisco, places that normally run 8-9 feet were at best a foot and a half thanks to the drought and so my whole game plan needed to be rearranged on the spot after arrival (as usual) and my 3/4oz walking sinkers were swapped out in favor of 1/4oz so that the current could actually move my rigs. Both of these happy fellows came on floating crawler harnesses run about a foot off the sinker on my modified river rig. The channel cat is probably pretty close to maximum size that one of them is going to get almost anywhere and refused to not flip the gently caress out on the dock, hence the unconventional grip I had to put on him, and that white bass isn't really a trophy but I was happy to bring in similar sized feesh all day long since they can be pretty elusive outside of the spawning run. Plenty of sucker and drum again and not pictured are some dink walleye and smallmouth that weren't picture worthy and a monster bluegill that I wouldn't have guessed lived in that river that I didn't photograph because one of my other lines went just as he came in. Alas no sturgeon this time and I lost something that went right through a 150lb mono leader like a knife that had to have been some sort of monster esox. Maybe next time you toothy bastard. Still did over 50 fish for three days worth of work which ain't so bad.

Happy fisherman!

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009
Are there any cod jiggers here? I am heading out to the Gulf of Maine for a over night cod trip this weekend. I have 2 questions really. My first question is do you use a Mono leader on braided line for shock absorbant and if so about how many feet do you use. My second question is when you are are jigging with a teaser how far above the jig do you place the teaser. Now I do have a lot of experience fishing its just nothing recent. A leg injury has kept me sidelined for over 8 years and during a recent trip I felt a little out of date.

Longhair
Dec 19, 2005
*SLAM* BITCH!

EnsignVix posted:

Anyone have carp fishing experience? I could clearly see three very large carp just kind of hanging out near the surface on my last outing. I tried a few different baits but they didn't seem interested in anything. I'm actually not sure my 8 lbs. test line would've been up for the challenge, these things were pretty massive!

Looking online I see corn might work, or stink baits similar to what you'd use for catfish. Would cut bait sunnys work? I'd like to get back out there with maybe heavier line and some bait that may actually produce some strikes. They seem to just hang out in one spot and not move around all that much so I suspect I'll be able to find them in the same general area next time.

Depends on the species of carp. I've caught them on crawlers in Lake Michigan and rivers in Michigan, and on canned corn and doughballs in ponds and inland lakes in southern Michigan. Moved onto a lake last November and didn't get to fish it until this spring. First time out saw big rear end carp cruising the shallows all over the lake and tried everything, but couldn't entice a strike. Finally talked to a couple of neighbors about it and was told these particular carp are completely vegetarian - "grass carp" planted to help curtail weed growth. Next spring I'll try again with my compound bow.

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE

NiknudStunod posted:

Are there any cod jiggers here? I am heading out to the Gulf of Maine for a over night cod trip this weekend. I have 2 questions really. My first question is do you use a Mono leader on braided line for shock absorbant and if so about how many feet do you use. My second question is when you are are jigging with a teaser how far above the jig do you place the teaser. Now I do have a lot of experience fishing its just nothing recent. A leg injury has kept me sidelined for over 8 years and during a recent trip I felt a little out of date.

Well hello there. It's funny you ask, I was just about to post about this. Granted I'm on the West Coast, so I'm not sure how different this will be, but should be fundamentally the same.

We had 3 rods in the water, 2 with braided line, mine with mono. Really I think it's personal preference, but I don't think there's a huge difference. We fished between 50 - 200 feet. I would argue that the braided line might give better feedback once you're fishing 150ft+. Also, remember that braided line is like rope and I find it to get wrapped around crap in the water (kelp leaves, etc) much easier.

As for leaders, I started with a Shrimp Fly Rig and did pretty well. We also had cut squid on the hooks for smell. We didn't use any teasers, and were pretty successful. One guy I went with ties his own leader rigs and would use jig heads with different bodies. One was a green body that drew a lot of hits from bigger fish. I've personally never used a teaser in the ocean so I can't really give advice there.

Picture time:

Good sized Rock Cod by jvick125, on Flickr

Rock Cod by jvick125, on Flickr

2 Fish, 1 Line by jvick125, on Flickr
(Homemade leader, notice the jig head and length from line to first hook)

Fully Cooked by jvick125, on Flickr

The days Catch by jvick125, on Flickr

jvick fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Aug 28, 2012

EnsignVix
Jul 11, 2006

Cool pictures, thanks for sharing. It looks like you guys were using a drop shot rig. I'm planning to try that method out for my first time and read online that a Palomar knot works well for that. Any general tips on rigging this way? Is it still advisable to use this method if shorebound and needing to cast long distances? I'm kind of worried about the lead swinging around and getting all tangled with the hooks or baits.

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE

EnsignVix posted:

Cool pictures, thanks for sharing. It looks like you guys were using a drop shot rig. I'm planning to try that method out for my first time and read online that a Palomar knot works well for that. Any general tips on rigging this way? Is it still advisable to use this method if shorebound and needing to cast long distances? I'm kind of worried about the lead swinging around and getting all tangled with the hooks or baits.

A Palomar knot would be more than fine. The rig I used had a loop at the end so we just looped the drop shot on that (larks head knot).

When I fish from shore, which is 99% of my ocean fishing, I pretty much always use a Carolina rig with a 3 way swivel or split ring. I believe there was already an example posted in this thread, might have been at the end of the old thread. If you need help I can draw up a diagram. You should have about a foot and a half to two feet of line between your sinker and swivel. Then depending on your preference ~3ft of line from your swivel to your hook. From shore I would advise against a drop shot rig. Also, your weight and line and hook getting tangled is going to happen, it comes with the territory. Just take a few minutes to untangle it. It won't happen every time, less in calmer water.

I would only recommend a drop shot setup if you're fishing vertically (from a boat or pier). Other advise, if you really want to fish with a drop shot, tie up rigs before you head out. Better to be prepared and spend your time fishing rather than playing with line on the beach.

Where will you be fishing?

EnsignVix
Jul 11, 2006

jvick posted:

Where will you be fishing?

Nice, I'll check out the carolina rig. I'm hitting a small lake near the Poconos in PA this weekend as part of my bachelor party. I'm pretty comfortable with my bass and panfish techniques but wanted to try out something for catfish at dusk/night. I thought a drop shot might be good so I can suspend the bait near the bottom and let the line sit without worrying about it drifting into hazards. Also, I wanted some setup where I can put my rods down and not pay attention to the lines 100% of the time. Just check back now and then while I hangout nearby, or run to them when I hear line being pulled.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS
Just got back from my annual fly fishing trip, this time into the Tirol, in Austria. The weather was absolute poo poo and the river, Mur, was unfishable the first day. We got snowed on during the last two august fishing trips, so we're used to lovely weather. We got in late in the afternoon, went for a run along the river, ate some good food, drank some beer, and woke up the next day ready to fish.

We hiked up to a mountain lake that also ended up being so high that there were only two places around the entire lake that were fishable, and even then only with a roll cast. Luckily, these two spots, on either side of an incoming river, were phenomenal. We saw tons of hungry char at our feet, trout a little further out, and grayling at the limits of my roll cast. The fish were downright gorgeous. I ended up landing about 15 fish in this one spot.

[

The fish were small but healthy and vibrant, and I did catch one 14 inch grayling with nice shoulders though. These were the first grayling I'd ever caught so I was thrilled.

We walked back down, at some more awesome cheap food, and started fishing the river the next day, which was still high and fast, but clear and fishable in places.

Since we'd caught plenty of smaller fish all morning on the river, I decided to try my luck with a big streamer in this pool. I brought an 8 weight with a sinking tip for the hell of it, and it turned out to be very useful here because there was no way I was getting anywhere near the base of the waterfall with my 6 or 4 weight floating lines, there was a downright gale coming from the force of the waterfall.

I didn't catch any big ones here, but a surprising amount of small fish attacked my big streamer, including my first typical rainbow of the trip, and a smaller trout with a missing dorsal fin.

[

In short, it was a great trip, despite the awful weather, we're going back next year in the hopes of good weather, and we'll try to bring along some float tubes for the mountain lake.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

^ dag

When is a good time of the year to start using crayfish lures? I'm doing some river fishing on the Potomac this week, and I want to use a jig. I have a pumpkin/crayfish color, and a dark blue. What would be best? The water will not be clear.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

I lost my job this summer, and while I'm hunting, I have a lot of free time. I live within walking distance of a fishing pier, and thought I might try my hand at it. It's a tributary to the James River in VA, which is in turn a tributary to the Cheasapeake Bay. Fish caught there seem to be croaker, cats, the occasional eel. Crabbing's not permitted but the last time I was there this 7 year old kid was pulling them in on a line like nobody's business.

I'm having a little trouble parsing whether I need a SW license, or if a FW will do, according to this site:

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/fishing/regulations/tidalwaters.asp

I'm downstream from the line for James River, but not on the river itself, and the fish aren't SW.

Sorry if this is a stupid newbie question. I don't know a soul who fishes, and am kinda afraid to ask questions in person because I'm a gal (no, I don't want to buy sparkly pink lures). I just read the entire thread, and it's been very helpful!

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I lost my job this summer, and while I'm hunting, I have a lot of free time. I live within walking distance of a fishing pier, and thought I might try my hand at it. It's a tributary to the James River in VA, which is in turn a tributary to the Cheasapeake Bay. Fish caught there seem to be croaker, cats, the occasional eel. Crabbing's not permitted but the last time I was there this 7 year old kid was pulling them in on a line like nobody's business.

I'm having a little trouble parsing whether I need a SW license, or if a FW will do, according to this site:

I'm downstream from the line for James River, but not on the river itself, and the fish aren't SW.

Sorry if this is a stupid newbie question. I don't know a soul who fishes, and am kinda afraid to ask questions in person because I'm a gal (no, I don't want to buy sparkly pink lures). I just read the entire thread, and it's been very helpful!

When it comes to a question of what license do I need in a certain area, or if it is the least bit hazy call your nearest game warden. You can tell theme exactly where you are, tell them your situation and they will give you all the info you need to stay legal and not have to doubt any type of second hand information that could get you into a lot of trouble or big ticket fines.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Yeah, I figured I'd give 'em a call anyways; thanks for the reply.

Stupid newbie question #2: fishing in fresh/brackish tributaries like that, I can get away with a cheap FW pole, right? Looking at a sporting goods website (Dick's), it seems like the big difference in FW vs. SW is just rod size... ?

I just hoofed up the street to a consignment/thrift store to see what they had in the way of used rod & reel gear. Prices ranged from $15 to $45, but honestly, I really had no idea of what I was looking for. If I'm not sure that I'm even going to get into this, should I just get a cheap $30 set-up new from Dick's?

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Stupid newbie question #2: fishing in fresh/brackish tributaries like that, I can get away with a cheap FW pole, right? Looking at a sporting goods website (Dick's), it seems like the big difference in FW vs. SW is just rod size... ?

I just hoofed up the street to a consignment/thrift store to see what they had in the way of used rod & reel gear. Prices ranged from $15 to $45, but honestly, I really had no idea of what I was looking for. If I'm not sure that I'm even going to get into this, should I just get a cheap $30 set-up new from Dick's?

When I used to fish brackish waters in Jacksonville, Florida the pole I brought depended on the type of fish I was going after, If you are just going after the basic Croaker, Whiteing and fish of that size a decent run of the mil 6'6 -7ft fishing pole was all I ever used, I did have a bigger surf rod with me in case I wanted to try and target bigger fish with bigger baits. Just remember due to the salty nature of the water you need to clean your reel after each trip and try to keep it oiled and in good repair. That water will do a number on your equipment after a while if you do not keep your stuff cleaned.

If you are hesitant to spend any money on gear, find a friend that is into the sport and see if they will let you borrow any gear they have so you can give it a test run. All it will cost you is the price of what ever bait you are using and some sun screen. If not a thrift store if a good place to start, as long as the equipment is in pretty good shape, you can easily get it for a fairly cheap price and not have to commit to much to it financially.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
I did back-to-back trips recently. First was a week on the Bighorn in Montana, flyfishing for browns and rainbows. My father-in-law and I have done a trip each year there for about the past 6 years. Then I spent a long weekend in Niagara Falls, NY, catching smallmouth bass in the river. This was the first time I'd done this.

The main takeaway for me was the difference between the size of fly/bait and the fish caught (and then of course the different technique). On the Bighorn, I use dry flies or nymphs, usually size 18 for the trout, fished on the surface (duh) or at most 6 feet down when drifting. This yielded 17-19 inch trout. Whereas the bass were 12-25 feet down requiring a sinking line and large crayfish patterns, or when I switched to a bait casting rig like the other guys in the boat were using, I used a sinker and live crayfish that we'd netted in the morning.

This has been your stating the obvious post of the day. :)

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

You can use either a freshwater or saltwater license. Between the line and the surf, either license is good. Anywhere you can catch a catfish is definitely going to be considered freshwater, so don't worry.

The recommendations in the OP will work just fine for brackish water. Just watch out for:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL7CwM7Zo1I
Pretty sure that was Virginia or North Carolina.

Dik Hz fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Sep 13, 2012

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

beefnoodle posted:

I did back-to-back trips recently. First was a week on the Bighorn in Montana, flyfishing for browns and rainbows. My father-in-law and I have done a trip each year there for about the past 6 years. Then I spent a long weekend in Niagara Falls, NY, catching smallmouth bass in the river. This was the first time I'd done this.

The main takeaway for me was the difference between the size of fly/bait and the fish caught (and then of course the different technique). On the Bighorn, I use dry flies or nymphs, usually size 18 for the trout, fished on the surface (duh) or at most 6 feet down when drifting. This yielded 17-19 inch trout. Whereas the bass were 12-25 feet down requiring a sinking line and large crayfish patterns, or when I switched to a bait casting rig like the other guys in the boat were using, I used a sinker and live crayfish that we'd netted in the morning.

This has been your stating the obvious post of the day. :)
Try throwing crayfish streamers on the Bighorn and report back. :)

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Dik Hz posted:

Try throwing crayfish streamers on the Bighorn and report back. :)

Hah, I've done large streamers there in previous trips. Big freaking browns. None this year. Nor did hoppers yield anything this trip. Pretty much all caddis pupae and zebra midges, with the odd scud.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I went out this past weekend on the Mississippi just south of St Paul. As group we did pretty well, biggest of the day was my 22 inch walleye!

DoctaFun fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Sep 27, 2012

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Been doing a lot of fishing either wading the flats or hoping on the paddle board and fishing mangroves and flats of distant islands.

Got a few snook, one being a nice hog caught wading. Last week pulled 5 redfish out the mangroves after work on life shrimp under a popping cork.

Just yesterday caught my first red ever on artificial, a weedless jig with a gulp twitch bait. At 25" and 8# this is my best red. Caught him tailing in 8" water full of grass. The 5th cast got on the right side of him and he took it readily.

Those are a few pics. Top fish was yesterday. Most were within the past month. The fishing is just now starting to improve as the nights are now mid 70's instead if 80's and it's not so drat hot. More to come soon.

P.s. If I broke the tables let me know, I'm on an iPhone and can't tell the true size of the photos. Don't want another probation.

tesilential fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 27, 2012

Floating Fish
Aug 8, 2005
Is it... dead?
Kayak fishing is awesome, caught my first pelagics this week. Two Mahi mahi (18 and 12 lbs) and an ahi (33 lbs).

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Floating Fish posted:

Kayak fishing is awesome

Yes it is!

If there are any Dallas/FT.Worth area kayakers or anglers thinking about kayaking we are throwing our bi-annual North Texas Kayaking get together at Twin Covers park on Lake Grapevine this Saturday the 29th at 8am.

It is pretty much a meet and greet for all the area kayakers to get together to eat food, tell stories, hit the water together, win some nice prizes and spend the day with a ton of kayakers. It is a great place to come visit if you are interested in the sport at all, there will be a easy 60+ kayaks out there and most of us will gladly let you paddle ours to get a feel for it and get addicted to the sport.

Here is a link to all the information for the get together if anybody is interested. http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/7863319/Official_North_Texas_GTG_Threa#Post7863319

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Went out on a friend's jon boat on Sunday at a local reservoir and didn't catch poo poo. I must be the worst Senko worm fisherman out there. For all the praise those things get, I have never had one produce any fish. I also threw a hoss of a spinnerbait and a Shad-rap with no luck.

It was a beautiful day, at least.