Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I'm going to be in the Outer Banks (Hatteras) in North Carolina in August, and I'd like to get in some surf fishing.

I have an old Penn 10 reel I plan on bringing, and I'll be picking up an inexpensive rod.

I grew up freshwater fishing, but I've never been surf fishing. Can anyone give me (or point me to) some good tips on essential tackle, baits, and rigging?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I don't know what kind of fish I'll be after. I guess I'll leave the hooks out of the equation until I get there, and talk to a local shop to see what's being caught.

So the rigging will leave a sinker on the bed, with bait floating a couple feet overhead? That's easy enough.

How does one read the surf?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Awesome, thanks! I've had a pretty lackluster fishing year and maybe this will shake things up.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

^ dag

When is a good time of the year to start using crayfish lures? I'm doing some river fishing on the Potomac this week, and I want to use a jig. I have a pumpkin/crayfish color, and a dark blue. What would be best? The water will not be clear.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Went out on a friend's jon boat on Sunday at a local reservoir and didn't catch poo poo. I must be the worst Senko worm fisherman out there. For all the praise those things get, I have never had one produce any fish. I also threw a hoss of a spinnerbait and a Shad-rap with no luck.

It was a beautiful day, at least.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Planet X posted:

I read an article that a potentially world record setting 17 lb snakehead was caught in Virginia.

Anyone catch one of these yet?

I live not far from where the world record fish was caught. My friend and I have put in a fair amount of fruitless effort trying to catch them in local hotspots. I've only even seen one in the water so far. For as voracious their appetite is made out to be, and as impressive as their numbers are told, I've been let down.

We throw the usual suspects - frogs, lizards, worms, crankbaits. But it's our goal to catch (and kill) at least one before the year is over.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Beautiful bass on this page. Wanna get some of that bass.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Can anyone suggest some inexpensive (less than $75 preferably) chest waders for cold water river fishing? I'll be in spending a few days in cabin next to a river in western North Carolina in late fall/early winter and I'd like to hook onto some smallmouth while I'm there. Average temperatures for the area (I looked at Boone) average 43° in November, when we'll be there.

Edit: These are looking tempting. Thoughts?

me your dad fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Sep 2, 2013

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

brettster55 posted:

Has anyone been catching snake head recently, in my area you are highly encouraged to kill them upon catch.

I've tried several times (Northern Virginia area) but haven't ever had any luck. I mostly go to the supposed hot spot for them too.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I went a long time in life without knowing this was a thing:

Storm drain fishing

Another

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

What's a good inexpensive rod and reel combo for an eight year old? When I was a kid the Zebco 404 was the standard entry point but that model doesn't seem as prevalent now. Are there other brands producing decent but cheap entry level combos? Is the Zebco 202 any good?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Suspect Bucket posted:

Do you want a casting rod or a spinning rod? For spinners, I love Daiwa's entry level combos.

A classic spincast reel combo. A spinning reel may be too complicated and we have enough old baitcasting reels around the house that it will be an easier transition from spincast to baitcast.

Yooper posted:

I got my kid an Ugly Stik combo for like $40. They are drat near indestructable. I think I still have my Ugly Stik from when I was about 10.

I see they are spinning reels. For the reasons above, I'd like a spincast reel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Thanks - I see this spincast combo and it will work great.