Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
I was wondering if you guys could help me, I'm looking for my first fishing kayak. I'm going to be playing around slower rivers and smaller lakes in north Georgia, fishing mostly for bass and whatever else feels like jumping on my hook. I only plan on day trippin', I don't expect to go on multi day trips or even take it out way far into the lake. I mostly just want to hit the shoreline from new and exciting angles and also to play in a boat.

The problem is that I'm limited to a ten foot kayak, full stop. My front door is in a narrow hallway, and ten foot is absolutely the biggest thing I can fit in my apartment. I've tried a bunch of times in a bunch of different ways, but I can't get a twelve footer in there. I have nowhere else to keep it. I'm 6'1 and weigh 230, so I've been trying to focus on wider boats with a ~300 pound capacity. Price range is ~$500, give or take a hundred or so.

The two that seem to jump out at me are the Old Town Vapor 10 angler, and the Bass Pro Ascend FS10.
http://www.oldtowncanoe.com/kayaks/fishing/vapor_10_angler/
http://www.basspro.com/Ascend-FS10-SitIn-Angler-Kayak-Desert-Storm/product/1407230636438/

Reviews tend to be overwhelmingly positive - both seem like they'll fit me and handle well enough for what they are.
Anybody have any experience with either of these? Anything else I should look at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
I just bought a Pflueger Lady President for thirty bucks, looks identical to the Regular President (which I have and like a lot) only it's pink instead of blue. Lots of places have em, it looks like it's getting discontinued. So if you don't mind pink and are in the market for a moderately priced fishing reel, I really don't think you can go wrong picking one up!

Got mine at sierra trading post dot com but the Pflueger website offered similar prices.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!

Planet X posted:

I need a new reel. No difference from the 'male' one? Seems like a great value.

Fwiw I'd be putting it on a light medium bass rod.

Only difference I can see on the site is that the regular President has a sealed drag and the Lady President doesn't, but that really doesn't bother me on a reel I'm not taking into the ocean.

If you're putting it in a light/medium bass rod maybe go for a 30 size. Mine says it'll arrive Tuesday so I'll let you know if I see any other differences then

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
I got a fly fishing pole for my birthday a few weeks ago, either because my girlfriend loves me or because she never wants to see me again. I went to the local fly fishing store and asked them to help me build a basic tackle box with flies that do well here in the area and Jesus loving Christ, this is a rich man's game.

Anyway after I opened up my veins and let them have all my blood the guy took me out and taught me how to cast, and today I finally made it out to the river and started snapping off flies into it. This is a lot of fun! Got the hang of casting after about an hour or so and spent the next four hours thinking I almost knew what I was doing. Don't know if I prefer it to conventional fishing but I definitely get the appeal.

Do any of you guys know anything about fly fishing? I have a solid enough rudimentary understanding of nymphs vs flies that float on the surface and flies that are designed to mimic vs flies that are designed to attract, and the guy taught me how to tie a couple rigs, but after trying to pick out what to throw today I come to realize that I don't know a goddamned thing. Are there any like, go-to flies that I can rely on in a variety of water conditions?

I know that if I'm throwing a conventional rod I can throw on a greenish Texas rigged worm or like a rattle trap and I stand a reasonable chance of catching a bass just about anywhere. I'm just wondering if there is a fly equivalent of that that I can buy a fistful of and maybe accidentally catch something while I'm learning more about casting and more finesse presentations

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
Hey you guys I started fly fishing and it was fuckin awesome, hooked up on a couple of tiny trout and brought em in by hand and now fly fishing is all I ever want to do for the rest of my life

Got the first one on an elk hair caddis that was wet enough to sink a little, got the second one on a prince nymph with no strike indicator and a lot of beginner's luck

The best part is you get to go out into the woods by like a rustic bridge and you have an excuse to be in the prettiest place you've ever been for a few hours

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!

Dik Hz posted:

First trout on the fly is a life changer. Grats on that. What part of the country are you fishing in?

Thanks! Caught the trout in the Smokies, but I do most of my fishing in the Atlanta metro/North Georgia area.

prom candy posted:

This is an extremely dumb question I'm sure but what's the point of fly fishing? What does it give you that spinning or casting tackle can't?

I don't know if it offers any real like, tactical advantage over regular spinning tackle. It's just a different technique and I've had a lot of fun learning it. Definitely feels different when you're bringing a fish in by pulling on the line rather than by cranking a reel. Also lots of people who tie their own flies tell me they get a lot of satisfaction out of catching a fish on something they tied themselves.

But yeah mostly it's just a very efficient way to separate you from your money

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
Do any of you fly fishing types have any ideas for a pair of shoes I can wear in the river that won't trap all kinds of grit and chew my feet to shreds? Here in Georgia it's warm enough that I can get by without waders for like 9 months a year, and I've just been wearing chacos and tevas. They work ok if it's just for a few hours, but if I fish a full day the grit that collects under the straps becomes totally crippling. Loosening or tightening the straps doesn't help, nor does trying to rinse them out periodically.

I am open to nearly all styles and budgetary considerations, I just want to be able to fish two days in a row and know I'm still gonna be able to walk on day 2.

My brother in law swears by Crocs but I don't want it to come to that. I hope you understand.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
Well I figured out why I never catch any drat trout when I go to the stretch of river closest to my house - the water is too warm! Apparently the move in the summertime is to throw big streamers for shoal bass and stripers that make their way down when the water is warmer, and hold off on trout fishing until October or so.

The guy at the fly shop said my 5/6 weight rod would be ok but not great for shoal bass and I'd be hosed if a striper hit it, and I was drunk on eBay later, and now I have a big 9wt switch rod coming to my house today.

What kind of line do I put on this thing? Can I just use regular old weight forward fly line or do I need something more specialized? Any tips for figuring out the two handed cast?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
Well I've gone off the deep end.

My big switch rod got lost in the mail so to console myself I bought a little 3 weight fiberglass rod for little mountain streams.

We have native brook trout here in Georgia but they only get up to like six inches long, so a 3 weight rod is perfect for those little mountain fish & those little mountain casts. Because it's glass it should cast a lot differently and be a lot more interesting than just another graphite rod.

Then I also got a sinking line and another spool for my regular 5/6 rod because the main trout stream here, the Chattahoochee north of Sandy Springs, is a stocked and surprisingly productive tail water. I caught two trout last weekend dead drifting squirmy worms, but the river gets as much as 10-12 feet deep and so I figure a sinking line can get me a lot closer to the fish than my regular floating line on a dead drift. I figured if I improved the line I could potentially claim to catch fish without subjecting myself to the scrutiny of those who disparage the San Juan worm.

Please stop me before I try to buy an old bamboo rod, just to see what they used to feel like