Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I have a dream of mounting a 4 foot gar and putting a bottle opener in it's mouth. From what you guys are saying this would cost approximately infinity dollars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
My wife wasn't really keen on the idea anyway.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
So when you guys actually get the kayaks off the car and are fishing in them, where do you put the fish you catch (assuming you aren't releasing them)? Do they have creels or live wells or coolers or something? The ones I'm looking at don't appear to .

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I finally found time to get my license renewed and am planning on going fishing off a jetty this sunday. I'm planning on targeting spanish mackerals mostly, but will probably do some bottom fishing as well.

Any advice for jetty fishing? I only have saltwater experience fishing in the intracoastal off a dock and a little bit of surf fishing.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

tesilential posted:

Where will you be fishing?

General jetty advice would be to be on the jetty before sun comes up, fish love to come up close before daybreak and at sunset. Live bait works best but DOA shrimp and paddle tails can produce as well.

I was going to try to hit the Surfside Beach jetty in Freeport TX. I wasn't planning on messing with live bait, since it'd be one more thing I'd have to carry. I was planning on dead shrimp or cut bait on the bottom, then mirrolures or some heavy spoons on top with my spinning gear. I have some paddle tails that I could try, but I thought mackerel liked to hit shiny things.

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Aug 14, 2013

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

tesilential posted:

Personally I'd still get there really early and toss a paddle tail down the length of the jetty and retrieve along the rocks. Vary from just off the bottom-slow to steady and quick. May surprise yourself with flounder or reds.

That sounds good, the reason I was gonna have a rod with shrimp on the bottom is the off chance of catching a red. I didn't think flounder would be out by the jetty, that would be a nice catch. Aren't they more common when its a little colder? I caught a couple in the intracostal back in November.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Rythe posted:

Just check youtube, there are plenty of great videos on there on rigging your kayak and especially for installing additional gear, that is what I typically do too.

As for jetty fishing, just be careful out there, I have fished on those a lot on the east coast of Florida. The jetties I fished where a good size, went out pretty far into the ocean, they could be slippery where the waves managed to splash on top of and had big giant gaps at times between the rocks so just watch where you are walking and be safe.

I was worried about that so that's why I picked babby's first jetty here https://www.google.com/maps?q=Surfs...xas+77541&z=18.

It has a sidewalk, so hopefully I won't die.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Welp, got to the jetty 15 mins after dawn, which I guess was my first mistake. Next time I gotta be more careful about this. Tried cut bait, dead shrimp, various artificial but all I caught was a couple of croakers and 2 cutlass fish. I never caught a cutlass fish and they're scary looking so that was at least neat, always good to get some novelty in nuisance fish. A least no one else was catching anything that I could see. Also It's nice to get on the water I guess

Timbo posted:

Congratz to the guy with the halibut.

I think this brings up a good question. I was raised with the mentality of "it's your fish, you decide if you keep it or let it go".

Now I have had the good fortune of fishing when ever I want salt or fresh water. So when I fish now I mostly practice CPR (catch photo release) on decent fish.

Ok do make 2 trips a year where I will harvest fish, but if it's trophy it's let go.

So what does the goon fishing squad think?

I release a lot but I have a hard time saying no to a slot redfish or a flounder or something similarly delicious. I would have totally harvested some mackerel today if I didn't suck so bad. I almost never keep anything I catch in freshwater, but that's mainly because the freshwater around here sucks pretty bad. I dunno, I just try not to do damage I guess, which is a lot more than most people apparently. Leaving their poo poo everywhere, harvesting too big or too small fish, etc. I've seen people taking 4 inch catfish home, I mean why bother? Did you just want to kill something?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
With regards to releasing that monster halibut, wouldn't it be too exhausted after fighting it for that long? Wouldn't it just die?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Red snappers out of season, I thought. I went on a party boat 2 weeks ago and we could only keep vermilions.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Any advice for trout fishing in western NC for a middling baitcasting/spinning gear saltwater fisher who doesn't really have the time or funds to take up fly fishing on short notice? I also didn't bring any of my stuff, and wouldn't really want to blow a lot of money or redundant spinning gear. Just went on a short hike today and started salivating at some of the rainbows and brookies I saw swimming around. I'll probably do something regardless, but on the off chance someone had some great idea I thought I'd ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I'm a big fan of fishing (I was the op of a previous incarnation of this thread, years ago I think) that has sort of fallen out of the hobby for a while. I used to be big into surf fishing in the gulf of mexico and some shore side freshwater stuff, but I move away from that area to the midwest. I tried fishing a bit last summer from the shore but found it a bit dull in this area. I finally bit the bullet and got a inexpensive kayak (Pelican Trailblazer 100) and want to take it out on the reservoirs and lakes near by. The main lake I'm local to has the typical fair for the midwest, I guess (bass, crappie and sunnies, drum and cats, perch etc.). Obviously, my techniques are going to change depending on the time of year and what fish I'm targeting, but are they're any beginners tips for kayak lake fishing that you goons want to share? I remember there being a fairly large number of kayak fishermen in this thread.