Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brozekiel
Jul 20, 2007
Hey a fishing thread! I'm looking to buy a flyfishing rod/reel/line combo. Any go-to recommended set ups? I'm just getting into fly fishing so something under $200 is my budget - either 4, 5, or 6 weight. I'll mostly be fishing for trout but would like to fish salmon, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brozekiel
Jul 20, 2007
I also really like small creeks - it's almost more about the experience than the actual catching for me and smaller rivers/creeks seem to have more of that. Although catching fish is important, too!

I'm in Portland, OR. I've been on the Deschutes for reds and I have some friends who go out there and elsewhere for steelhead quite often. Honestly, catching a steelhead would be a lot of fun but waking up at 4am to fight for a spot on a river bank does not sound very appealing to me. I'd say my skill level is advanced-beginner as I've got basic technique down pat.

Would a 5wt. rod be practical for mostly trout and maybe the occasional salmon? If I got more into it, buying a 7-8wt. rod for bigger guys wouldn't be out of the question.

Any experience/ideas with these? 4 or 5wt or 9' 5wt

I'm the kind of person who'd rather spend a little more money for something if it's going to last a lot longer and or perform a lot better, so I'd probably skip out on the $80 setup.

Brozekiel
Jul 20, 2007
Thanks for the great info Dik Hz and Achmed Jones.

I like the idea of a bit slower-action rod. Out of the two cabela's that I posted, I guess the Passport wouldn't be as fast? Also, how is the drag on the Cabela's reels and the Redington? I've heard of some reels having stupid large amounts of variance between each click - a click one way is just right but one click past that will lose a fish.

I'm gonna be fishing towards the end of this month on the Clackamas (you'll have to mentally photoshop out the rafters); here's a picture of it when the levels are pretty high. I like fishing rivers like this and smaller:

No idea how that corresponds to a fitting rod length. Maybe an 8'6" would be okay?

Brozekiel
Jul 20, 2007

Dik Hz posted:

That's big water! 8'6" would do well. If you want to spend a couple hundred, go down to the local fly shop and ask their advice. If they're not too busy, they'll let you try out a couple rods.

Thanks for all of the help. I was up in Seattle this past weekend with my girlfriend and on the way back to Portland, I noticed a giant store off the side of the highway called "Cabella's." She reluctantly took the next exit after a bit of pleading and with the promise of some kettle corn. I'd never been to a Cabella's before - drat that place is huuuge. I could have spent hours there but I didn't feel like pushing my luck.

I ended up getting a pretty good deal: $220 for a Redington Classic Trout 9' 5wt and the Cabella's Prestige Premier reel spooled. Woop! Fishin' time!