Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Came across kind of a cool fishing-related story earlier today:
http://www.greatfallstribune.com/article/20120503/LIFESTYLE05/205030315/Fly-fishing-Baghdad?odyssey=mod%7Cnewswell%7Ctext%7CFrontpage%7Cp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I know I'm way late on this, but definitely check your local laws. It may be legal in some places, but here in the Pacific NW it's a huge no-no. Not that people don't do it all the time (I even heard about someone getting caught trying to transplant a full grown Sturgeon), but it can cause major havoc with our local lakes. It will boggle the minds of most of you, but they don't even allow live minnows to be used as bait. I know there's at least one major Oregon lake that's had to be killed off multiple times due to people dumping bait minnows that take over the ecosystem.

That said, I fish tons of lakes with spineyback species that only exist due to "bucket biologists", but you really need to be careful.
Yeah, I imagine a lot of states have some verbiage in their fish and game manual like this:

1. It is unlawful to: transport live fish into, within or out of this state; hold any live fish in the waters of this state; or release or attempt to
release any live fish into the waters of this state; except as provided by OAR 635-007-0600(3)(a) for aquaria fish intended for aquaria
use and those holding a valid Fish Transport Permit.
2. Live fish may not be used or held for use as bait, except live nongame fish may be used in the ocean, bays and tidewaters when
taken from the waterbody in which they will be used.
3. Dead fish, preserved fish, or parts of fish, shellfish and fish eggs may be used as bait. Goldfish may not be used as bait or in angler’s
possession while angling.
4. It is unlawful to use lamprey as bait in any recreational fishery.
5. Live crayfish may not be used as bait and live crayfish taken for bait may not be released into Oregon waters except in the waterbody
in which they were taken.
6. Live leeches may not be used as bait or in angler’s possession while angling.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Braved possible-snow forecasts and rain and mud to go hit up the stocked ponds near my work yesterday, a few hours after they got stocked. Got hung up on something on my fourth retrieve, tied another spoon on, and on my next cast I found out that I only had about 15 feet of line left on the spool.

I'm a terrible fisherman.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Caramaline posted:

I caught the biggest perch I've ever seen ice fishing at East Shoal lake in Manitoba. I caught 4 and my husband caught 6.

I normally hate ice fishing, but since we did so well before I let him convince me to go to East Shoal again. This time we didn't get so much as a nibble.

I hate ice fishing so much.
You have much to learn about taking pictures of the fish you catch - the proper stance is "arms fully extended toward camera, so the fish looks huge and you look tiny". ;)

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Dang I'm jealous, I'd love a kayak but I don't think that my knees could take it. I really miss having a canoe.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Haha that's ludicrous, is he going to come with you and tie your leader and hooks on when you need to switch?

I dunno, I'd ask an employee like that if they could direct me to someone else in their department "who may be more willing (or able) to help me." Like maybe his manager.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Armed Neutrality posted:

Practice in a field first too, with a piece of yarn at the end of your tippet. If you're fishing stillwaters, especially with choppy or rocky shores, consider using a stripping basket around your waist, homemade or otherwise, to control your line, makes it much easier.
If you have a spare hula hoop or a cardboard box or bucket, you can use it as a target as well. Be sure to place the target in spots that're harder to reach as well, such as below the branches of a low-hanging tree, etc.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Okay so I've recently been :jealous: of the guys I see on the rocks, casting into the delta on the beach near my family's beach house on the Oregon Coast, so I was looking to get into some saltwater fishing, specifically starting with probably surfperch and stuff on the nice flat beaches nearby, since I'm not super stoked to break a leg on a jetty in the dark somewhere.

So my main question is what kind of cheap rod/reel combo can I get away with? I don't have anything over 6 feet long that's not a flyrod, and I don't have any plans to try saltwater fly fishing for the foreseeable future since it's usually crazy windy here in OR. Mostly I'm just thinking along the lines of some rubber boots, a rod and a bucket with some gear in it, and have no idea what to buy for a cheap rod combo that'll probably get broken or lost after a couple years at the beach rental. Probably get a clam gun too, because why the hell not when I've got the bucket and boots ready..?

Edit: I was looking at something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/EAGLE-CLAW-Saltwater-8-SURF-BEAST-Combo-BRAND-NEW-/370895516098?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item565b1871c2

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Oct 10, 2013

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

me your dad posted:

I went a long time in life without knowing this was a thing:

Storm drain fishing

Another
This kid is like, the by-your-bootstraps redneck who can't get out of the suburbs, yet makes due.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

causticBeet posted:

PETA takes an awful stance towards fishing, color me surprised
I'm just going to put this out there to remind people how seriously to take PETA. http://features.peta.org/PETASeaKittens/

(The animated avatars are :krad: )

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Pham Nuwen posted:

Well, looks like I'm no longer moving to Alabama in August... I think the rod may stay in the closet for another year, because the east bay sucks for fishing:

* $5/day per-site fishing fee
* $5-10 parking fee at any fishing location
You should be able to get an annual pass for the cost of a few days' worth of day-use passes. State, national forest, or local county.

bunnielab posted:

I bought some tackle today and wanted to mess with it. It was too late to drive anywhere so I walked down to the farm pond. When I first got the fishing bug a month ago I tried the pond a few times but didn't have any luck so I didn't expect much.

First cast I caught a small bluegill with in seconds. Over the course of an hour I caught maybe 4-5 hand sized ones and a ton of tiny ones, one of which might be my new "small fish" record.

I am so loving pumped that I can walk 5 min and fish now! I only brought a small pouch of tackle with me, I cannot wait to go back with gear to cast further out.

I also saw a pretty big snapper and literally thousands of huge tadpoles. At work tomorrow I am going to look into what it takes to have a private pond stocked. I assume that the plentiful bluegills and poles mean there is enough O2 in the water to support bass.
As a kid, my friends and I put a handful of largemouth into a 5 gallon bucket and walked home where we dumped them into the freshly-dug 5 acre pond in my folks' back field. Within a year all the frogs were gone, replaced with enormous bass. My personal record was a 6 pounder, although there were way bigger fish in there after a few years - they were just way too canny to bite anything and would just cruise by the lure/bait and shoot me a pitying look.

You should first look into your local laws on transporting/stocking fish, though.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 17:09 on May 22, 2014

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Bangkero posted:

Thanks kindly for the tips! So it sounds like it's more about location location location and that I'm okay with my setup. But maybe move to a 1/2 oz or 1 oz weight? will those be enough to hold the rig in the surf? It is a pyramid weight.
I've been looking to get into surf fishing as well and most of what I've read indicates that there are flat "troughs" which run width-wise to the shoreline, which is where you want to find during low tide and then mark and return when high tide is beginning to recede, for optimal results.

If there are surfers, you can find troughs by watching them walk back into shore and seeing where they fall into holes.

You want to try to hit ebb tides because the schools of fish will be scooping up the detritus which is pulled down off the beach.

Edit: I commonly bring trail tape when I hit the beach because of stuff like this, or hidden paths which you can't find to return to your car.. But I've also had a lot of random helpful citizens go and "clean up the trash" that I carefully tied around a rock on top of a boulder.. :argh:

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 01:16 on May 29, 2014

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I think I finally figured out why I'm unable to catch anything with power eggs. I need to stop worrying about there being too much bait on the hook, and worry more about bouyancy when I'm trying to float it off the bottom.

Caught my limit of trout today in 5 or 6 casts flat. I spent more time picking up trash in the area afterward, than I did with a hook in the water.

Also I flat-out split my britches squatting down to rinse off my hands. Remember to hike up your drawers when they're old and paper-thin! :laugh:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

expat posted:

I went fishing for the first time since I was an early teen today. Found a lovely rod and grabbed some hooks. Didn't get anything but enjoyed being in the sunshine. Any recommendations on the best way to get brown trout? I've never even seen one in the flesh.
Where are you located? Trout in general are cool-water lovers and tend to be leery of bank movement. Are you fishing on a small stream, or a big lake? How hot is it (they'll be deeper or in shade if it's sunny and hot)? Without any background, not much can be offered past what you could just google up yourself.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

bunnielab posted:

I caught a bass!

It was kinda underwhelming sadly, I was catching bluegills about his length, but twice the weight so when he hit I didn't feel it at first. But still, first largemouth and it is nice to know this pond has them in it.

I bought a kayak!

Bass are weird to me. I grew up catching trout like it weren't no thing, and one day as a kid my friends and I stocked a big muddy gravel pond on my folks' property with a few largemouth bass, and I never went back for like ten solid years of fishing (and then I couldn't because trout hit different and prefer different temperatures and such) - they were also the cagiest fish I've had the pleasure of shore-fishing for. They're extremely aggressive and also have a really subtle 'nibble' where they inhale a hook and bait/lure to "taste" it and it barely causes a flicker on your line and rod. I've seen a 24"+ largemouth huff-and-puff on on a 1/8 oz texas rigged hook and weight with a plastic worm and not even been able to feel the tension change in the line in my finger, and I've also seen them flat snap the end off a pole that'd been left hanging off the edge of a boat with a lure dangling.

Largemouth are fun to fish and fun to fight, but I personally think they taste dusty (unless they're from a big lake sometimes) and it gets stronger with size.

expat posted:

I picked one guy's brain I saw fishing and still came up with nothing. Basically going to be going up and down a small river system and some larger ponds. I got recommended to let it sink and dog the line back in. It's still quite cold here and an older fellow said the fish will only just be starting to get active.
Keep in mind that not everyone is up for chatting when you go fishing, and that some will be downright territorial and avoid telling you anything/anywhere that works for them. You still haven't seemed to mention where you're trying to get your hook wet and/or for what so the advice you say you got so far sounds like you either got trolled, or are trolling this thread with your sick weed-catching rig.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Last week I was going to the beach for a couple days and planned on trying surf-casting so I picked up a 9' Ugly Stick 'Whuppin' Stick' and a cheap store-brand (Cabela's) salt-spinning reel. I was dumb and didn't think about the trigger on the handle which is a trifle annoying on a rod of that length while using a spinning reel, but it's perfectly usable and I was able to nearly pitch a padlock over a powerline when I took it to a park by my house to double-check that my line wasn't mispooled and that the whole rig would be able to put some power and distance on pitching into the wind, since it was a windy afternoon. My neighbors probably think I was fishing for gophers or some poo poo, but the ones who know, know. ;)

Dropped in to a bait shop on the coast when I got there Thursday and picked up some frozen squid (it'll keep for eons, I barely used any) and to asked about a newly restricted fishing area by the ODFW which had some confusion verbiage in the reg booklet, but unfortunately the old coot at the shop just ranted about sea lions no matter what I asked him about.

Oh well, even a pair of camoflage cargo shorts from Wal-Mart won't make some fishermen take you seriously, or at least get them to quit going off on whatever their pet peeves are. :smith:

Got to the beach and fuuuck, super duper high winds, nasty rain, and huge waves full of garbage. I was heading to my car with my rod case and gear when my aunt and her husband showed up, and he lit up like a 60-watt bulb when he saw a fishing pole, pulled a little bass rod out of the back of his truck and we spent a couple hours casting into the waves anyway. I was able to get a decent feel for throwing into the waves and retrieving it correctly however, I repeatedly got abysmally tangled up below my triple-eye swivel so I need to work on how I rig things up still. I also got the bonus of getting "man points" with my aunt's husband who's a serious loving salmon fisherman who lives on the res and pretty much eats nothing but stuff out of his garden, and that he raises or hunts/fishes. He subsequently invited me to come down to his place to fish salmon with him. ("August first, blue backs!" were his parting words as he and my aunt left for home this morning :hellyeah: ). http://www.oregonriverguides.com/guides-fishing-report/?tag=sea-run-cutthroat-trout-blueback

I also got a second invite to go fishing with one of my military (and nerdy, dude's got a 'One ring to rule them all' tattoo around one forearm, in elvish) cousins in Tillamook, who's got a nice little boat with a ridiculously huge motor on it. Despite not getting much time casting in the waves I consider those two invites to be worth their weight in goldsmoked salmon in any case. ;)

Yesterday I went out with my brother and his gf to go clamming - which I've never done successfully. We wandered around for half an hour with no success before I noticed a Ranger coming out toward us with a German tourist family so I hung around and listened in on him for a few minutes, which was all I needed to immediately get a 90%+ success rate digging for butter and soft shell clams. We took home several dozen, which my brother's gf cleaned and split up for us - unfortunately her "cleaning" involved cutting the neck off and throwing away the rest of the clam but I am confident that I can fill my limit with an hour or two of effort now that I know what exactly to look for and recognize clam beds and clam sign. As we were leaving and cleaning off our gear we chatted up the Ranger (dude's a local legend named "Clameron" who knows everything about fishing up and down the OR coast) and he dropped us a tip to a much, much better clamming spot nearby, which isn't as heavily harvested as the area we were at. :krad:

FYI, for buttersoftshell (found a lot of butters in the same beds though) clams, put on some barn boots and get down into the beds of eel-grass. Look for oblong holes - the bigger the better. If you're not using a a gun or your hands (the bro's gf was on her hands and knees digging like a dog and killing it to the point people were coming over and asking her for tips) then stick your shovel in about 6-8 inches back from the hole, and watch out that the clam doesn't squirt in your eye as soon as you lever up the sand. Then dig around the area with your hands for a few inches in a radius, because there's usually 4-10 clams within a few inches.

If nothing else, now I can easily find all the sand shrimp and clams that I could desire to use for bait when I go back to the coast in the (very near! :D ) future. I also chatted up a guy who had a dozen surf perch and he shared his spot with me, so I'll probably be able to find some next time.

This morning I got up at first light and took my dog and rod to a spot under a bridge where I'd noticed fish jumping around on Friday, and promptly caught three baby salmon about 500 yards upstream from the beach. My aunt's husband knows that particular river really well and I'm pretty confident that I can drive a couple miles up-stream, put on my waders and catch some serious fish. I was too tired from the four day family gathering so I went home afterward and felt pretty successful despite not taking home anything but a couple pounds of cleaned clams and some frozen bait.

I'm also stoked because my surf casting rig should be more than enough to use for salmon, and I was able to round out my sea/salmon gear going to shops on the coast, since the Cabelas in my town has a poo poo selection for saltwater stuff, and the guy who I asked to point me toward that section almost literally ran away from me so I wouldn't ask him questions he couldn't answer. I just really need to figure out how to get my rig set up to not tangle up on itself in the surf but perhaps that was just a symptom of the super violent water I was throwing it into. Oh well, can't win them all. :)

bunnielab posted:

I think it is time to get a second rod.

In my frenzy to start fishing I went to a local tackle shop and told the sales guy I wanted a rod and reel that was around $100, would fit in my tiny rear end car, and was a good, rugged, general purpose leaning rig. I ended up with a Tsunami Tuff Tip 5'6" Medium action rod with a Okuma Avenger 30B reel. I cant remember the brand of line but it is a dark green braid that seems to take a ton of force to break.
It has been great but I am starting to realize that is pretty sub optimal for the kind of fishing I do, which is as follows:
1)Hiking around lakes and ponds, mostly catching bluegills and white perch close to shore.
2)A little pit of pier fishing, but I have yet to catch anything off a pier.
3)Fishing out of a kayak, as soon as I figure out how to do it.
Right now the idea I have is as follows:
1)Buy a short (6' is the max I can easily deal with) Ultra Lightweight rod and stick my current reel on it, maybe respool it with a lighter braid.
2)Buy a slightly larger reel for my current rod and respool it with something thicker and more brightly colored.

Are these terrorable ideas?
I'm cracking up that you went into a fishing shop and walked out with a braided line rig. Are you using a leader? I'm assuming "no" since you mention that "it seems to take a ton of force to break" the line.

Go to Wal-mart or something, buy a spool of 8-10 lb test monofilament, and then whatever rod and reel strike your fancy. At your price range you aren't going to lose out much if you buy something you aren't happy with and hell, you can always remove the line and return it to the store if it just doesn't feel right, or has a lovely action, etc. Bonus points if your new reel has Snoopy on it or something..

Then buy a shorter spool of 2-6 lb test, and use that to tie on a leader so you can snap the leader and save the stronger+more expensive line from being stretched or from you breaking off 40+ feet of it. Serious question: do you understand leaders? Do you use one? Do it. I like to buy a bunch of hooks and then while I sit at home watching movies, I tie up a dozen leaders with hooks and then stick them into individual little bags that used to contain weights, swivels, etc, so when I break a leader I can just reach into my bucket and grab one and slap it on, rather than sitting around for 10 minutes trying to tie one while getting sunburnt and looking like a dork who can't get a hook into the water. This small amount of prep has saved me TONS of effort and time when I actually am out on the water! :laugh:

If you buy a reel, it won't come with line so "respooling" is a moot point. Unless you buy a ready-to-cast combo, which is fine but at that point you will likely be able to find better+cheaper by putting it together yourself. Personally I wouldn't buy anything that had line pre-spooled before purchase, as it'll have a ton of memory and probably be curly as gently caress every time you throw it, until you throw it away in frustration.

Color doesn't matter except as an aesthetic choice, there are plenty of bright colors to choose from.

Why in the world do you think you need to get a reel with "thicker" line? If you're catching perch and bluegill you won't ever need anything over 10 lb test. A lighter action rod will probably be funner to fight fish on, for what you're doing - just stand in the aisle and wave the rod around and see how it hefts. Hell, sit down on the floor with it and see how it feels as well, since you're planning on using a kayak with it primarily. Fishermen are weird and intense about their hobby, nobody will give a gently caress unless you're hitting people with it. Then when you get home, put a 1/4 oz of weight onto the end of your line and try tossing it around - if it doesn't give you the power you want, you can take the never-seen-water gear back to the store right away, but always save your receipts in any case, and don't be afraid to return something if you aren't happy with it (except lures, everybody buys lovely lures they later realize they hate, that's just part of learning the difference between fishing and getting suckered by fancy packaging!)

Spool the line yourself unless you're offered to have it done for free by the store - it's easy as gently caress (just put the spool label-toward-you and keep a finger on the line to maintain a little bit of tension as you reel it up).

Wal-Mart sells generic spinning lures for like $1.25 each, so if you use them a lot, I'd recommend going in and buying those rather than $5 each rooster tails and panther martins et al, the fish won't notice the difference until you can, and color doesn't matter that much until you reach a certain level.

edit: checking your post history ITT, I notice you got the kayak for catfishing, you ought to look up trotlines since you live in MD and they're legal there.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jun 30, 2014

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
^^^ Yeah, toothy fish can really do a number on a leader, and if you do something like use a trotline, they might spend all night fighting against it along the bottom, rubbing the leader on rocks and poo poo while the main drag-line is basically stationary due to being tied-off and weighted.. This isn't as much to deal with the strength of the fish as the potential damage that can be caused to the line from a variety of sources.

bunnielab posted:

Oh god so much info. Phone posting, so just a few points/questions.

I do understand the idea of leaders, but not why to use them. I have never lost more then an inch or so of line. If I snag, I just wrap the line around my knife handle and pull. Eight times out of ten the hook bends and I get my tackle back, one time I break the line at the first knot, and once I drag some huge branch or wad of tackle to shore. Like, I honestly dont understand why, when super strong line is available, you would want a breakaway leader? Even more confusing is that, in my reading about catfish fishing, I see recommended to use a leader heavier then the main line. There is so much fishing info out there but very little that explains the basic "whys" of things.
Leaders are for when you snag something underwater or fifty feet out when you're bank-fishing however, they're invaluable when doing pretty much any style of fishing as they save time (and money over buying those pre-made hook+leader sets) and line. The main theory is that the line on your reel ought to be heavy enough to catch and fight anything that you plan on possibly biting with a bit of extra toughness just in case, and that when and if something goes wrong you only lose a couple feet of cheap+light line and whatever hook/lure you had.. You can bring in a 20 lb fish on a 2-lb test line if you do it right and tire them out enough but using a shorter piece of lighter line tied to your main spool of (slightly) heavier line is a lot smaller risk of losing your gear, and trust me one day you WILL break/cut a couple dozen feet of your line off and then realize "oh poo poo, I don't have enough to even cast the distance I need, until I re-spool!"

Being in a kayak will definitely often provide you with the option of paddling over and being able to lay your hands onto the line and lure a lot of the time when you get hung up on brush and crap, but eventually you're going to snag a log or wing it thirty feet up and into a tree.. When that happens it's lovely (and environmentally irresponsible) to leave dozens of feet of line underwater or up in tree branches, so you use a lighter piece of short line and then just give it a hard tug and POP that piece snaps, and you've got the swivel and the rest of your line back.

Have you ever seen someone fly-fishing, or seen a movie like A River Runs Through It, etc? You'll notice that fly-lines are really thick and brightly colored (they're actually weighted to assist in casting distance, since the fly lures themselves weigh next to nothing) and then there's a section of nearly-invisible monofilament line tied to that thick+colored line, and then to the fly.. This both makes it so the fish are less likely to spook because of your heavier and easier-to-spot line, and because when it breaks you are less likely to damage the main line and your rod itself.. Nicer fly leaders are actually tapered to make this effect even more pronounced!

Leaders also allow you to more effectively utilize many techniques, such as a Carolina Rig for instance, which pretty much requires two separate pieces of line. http://www.fishinfo.com/fishing-articles/article_512.shtml (You can potentially use a split-shot crimped on as a stopper, but that can also put a kink into your line and create a weak spot which will give out at an inopportune moment.)

The important bit with using leaders is that it allows you to potentially tie weights and other expensive crap onto your main line (again, only potentially sacrificing a hook/lure and cheaper line) above a swivel, and then you can just clip whatever else you've got, directly onto the swivel. I personally have a few "blank" (I don't know what the real term might be) leaders laying around in my tackle box, which I specifically use for lures - I can clip a couple cheap+tiny split-shot onto the leader with a spacing of a couple inches apart (this greatly reduces tangling as the lure hits the water, believe me!) and then I have a second swivel at the end of the leader which I can use to swap out my lures yet still not worry about losing a ton of line.

Especially if you're spooled with braid, a leader is a really smart and valuable thing to use, because braid is expensive and has some other technical issues as well once it snaps!

It really is inevitably that you're going to hook up on something and break your line and lose a BIG chunk of it, and leaders make it much, much less likely that this occurs. Having a lighter-weight leader also shouldn't be adversely affecting the fish you hook and bring in anyway, because that is what loosening the reel drag is important for. :science:

Finally and potentially most importantly if you care about animals and poo poo like that, the worst-case scenario from a naturalist standpoint, is that something BIG grabs your single-piece line, and takes off.. You try and bring it in and SNAP your line is gone because of some flaw or old nick/kink/etc, and then whatever big-rear end lunker of a fish that grabbed your lure and got away now has tens or scores of feet of line trailing out of a painful hook in their mouth - likely a fatal scenario which would end in killing a really nice and valuable fish which ought to be able to continue breathing and breeding when it gets caught on some piece of wood or garbage underwater.. :smith: If a fish snaps off the leader and takes off with a hook and just a couple feet of line hanging off his jaw or in his guts, they can potentially survive long enough for the hook to rust apart - even a gut-hooked fish will (supposedly) be able to survive if you clip off your line just at the edge of their mouth and then gently release them, their stomach enzymes (or something) will break down the hook - I'm a bit leery of how well this works but DFW says this, as well as most experienced anglers.

quote:

Second, I may not have been clear. I want a slightly bigger reel for my current medium rod with brighter line to use for pier fishing and dragging bait on the bottom while I drift down river drinking a beer. I also want an ultralight rod to mate to my current reel and go with a lighter line. This rod would be for bluegill in ponds and amusing myself while the other rod is cast out with bait on it.
Ahh okay, that makes a ton of sense and is a very savvy idea. The main thing you ought to be interested in is the numbers on side of the reel spool itself, it'll say something like "5/400 10/320 20/250" etc, which (in this example) indicates that you can reasonably hold 400 yards of 5-lb test, or 320 yards of 10-lb test, etc.

I use some bright yellow-green line on one of my reels for days when I am lazy and wearing sunglasses and just can't really see my own line above (not to mention under) the water however, you ought to keep in mind that whatever is easier for you to see, could potentially be easier for the fish to see as well and may spook them away. I don't think most of the monofilament colors are gonna scare off anything you're interested in fishing for but some people are way more intense about how important colors and line visibility are than others, in terms of how much they might scare off the fish.

Finally, as you may have noticed, it's a pain in the rear end to tie braided line securely to a lure or hook - especially as they get smaller. Tying a piece of mono line to the front end of that braided line allows you to tie on your hooks and lures a ton more easily, even if you skip using a swivel (don't skip the swivel, they're just about the best fishing invention ever!)

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jun 30, 2014

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I've never lost a fish due to the leader breaking (except fly-fishing and I'm admittedly Bad At Fly Fishing), although I've lost plenty due to bad knots. I guess I've never done "99% of fishing" because I've never had a bass/trout/bluegill/crappie/catfish cut my line. Dude who posted with questions is fishing for bluegill, not pike.

I would also personally prefer to lose a fish than risk losing a fuckload of line and possibly killing a fish on top of that. Of course, I'm not fishing for gar or sharks, etc, and I use wire leaders when the circumstances need them.

Tying mono requires you to wet the knot before pulling it tight. That's the thing you might be doing wrong. Also, test your knot once it's done, you'll be able to quickly tell if it's going to slip.

I am fond of shakespeare ultralight rods, they're dirt cheap and will give you a ton of fun.

Fly-fishing is a blast, every fish feels huuuuuge when they bite. It's like hooking a steelhead and holding your rod straight vertical and watching the tip still bend over 180 degrees. Then you pull a 9" cutthroat out of the water and it's like "d'aww!" :3:

I don't have a huge tangle of crap in my tackle box, because as I mentioned, I use my old packages from weights and lures and stuff, and then put one (or two if there's a cardboard divider) leader into each. They roll up small so you can fit a half-dozen of them into a small corner of your kit. You can also buy tiny ziploc baggies like the kind you buy dime-bags of weed in.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jul 1, 2014

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Yeah, bass are extremely territorial and will attack just about anything that they think is big enough to bite back.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Needlenose pliers?

Growing up my mom insisted on always, ALWAYS serving bread with fish because of some wive's tale that the bread keeps you from choking on bones or something. :D

Corla Plankun posted:

A little while ago I put new line on my spinning real and it got really messed up all the time because I over-filled it. If you're getting a lot of line coming up over the top and causing bird's nests, that could be the cause.

I'm a pretty bad fisherman as well, but it takes some fairly unique circumstances for my spinning reel to tangle up!
There is also a correct way and an incorrect way to spool the line onto (a spinning reel reel at least, not sure about the other types is it makes as much of a difference) reel, since mono has memory of the spool it came off of. The general rule of thumb as I learned is to always have the store-spool of line facing you, label toward you. Then I just use one finger to keep a little tension on the line as I reel it in. If you ever reel in 150 yards of line from a backward-facing spool it will tangle on every loving cast, as the first moment there's not enough tension half the line on your reel's spool will almost literally leap off and tangle up against the bail. Also as was mentioned above, over-filling is easy to do - don't get greedy filling 'er up, because it's pretty rare to not notice that you're running low on line on a spinning reel and unless you start losing 20-40 feet of line a couple times in a session, you generally have plenty of time to refill later (or just leave the spool of extra line in your gear/car).

I always make a point to take my rod outside after spooling it with fresh line and then just stick a bobber or something on the end and cast/retrieve it a couple times to ensure that I didn't buy a weird/lovely spool of line, this also saves you looking like an idiot if there's anyone else around and you get a huge tangle on your first cast (saw a dude do this a couple weeks ago, he showed up with three rods to fish for stocker trout and two just turned into bird nests on the first couple casts, and I had to politely act like I couldn't see that he spooled his line backward..) ;) I have taken half a spool of line back in a plastic bag full of bird nests before, which is why I no longer buy the absolute-cheapest mono line I can find at Wal-Mart, and now stick to recognizable brands instead.

Lastly remember that fishing line isn't generally looked at kindly in landfills or recycling bins, but most bait and tackle shops will have no problem disposing of it for you if you bring in your old line, and I think a few brands of line have a system where they will give you credits or free shipping or something for mailing your line back to them.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 16, 2014

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Slightly Toasted posted:

This weekend I learned that I should probably buy a spray skirt for my kayak. And that fishing rods don't float :smith:
I wish I had a .gif of the time my (high school-aged) older brother tried to climb out of the canoe onto a dock, and promptly dumped four rods, two tackle boxes, and a bunch of other random crap into a 30 foot deep lake. He managed to scissor two rods between his legs and save them as he clung to the side of the dock and the canoe flipped the gently caress over entirely. I was :smugdog::pipe: the whole time because I hadn't been too cool to go into Boy Scouts and knew how to not make an rear end of myself in a canoe..

I imagine my dad was crying, thinking of the hundreds of dollars of gear that had just been sent to Davy Jones'. :smith:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Armed Neutrality posted:

There's a legally required way to kill fish here in Switzerland..stun with a blow to the head, and immediately sever the artery below the gills or gut the fish.
FWIW, I've recently heard that the sometimes "dusty" taste of some fish can be countered with a quick bleeding. I always hated eating Largemouth bass as a kid for instance, but now I'm interested in catching some and immediately trying out a hanging/bleeding on them to see if the meat doesn't get gnarly. It would make a lot of sense as that's what you generally try to do with the majority of other meat sources after slaughter.

I always assumed that bass just taste like dirt because they like to hang out in muddy/dirty tepid water.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

DoctaFun posted:

I didn't have any problem with how he was holding it, the boat behind him looked odd. Anwyays, an absolute monster, probably pushing 44".
I missed it at first but yeah, in the first picture the motor looks TINY and you can only see a quarter of the rear of the boat, which looks substantially side than the other two (which also show a MUCH larger motor). The weirdness isn't really explicable to me either - even if he was standing halfway toward the middle of the boat in the first and sitting basically on the motor in the latter pics.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Mythias posted:

I thought I was humanely killing a largemouth bass by quickly slicing its head off while it was still alive. I did it in one smooth stroke right behind the gills with a very sharp knife. That bass head decided to keep twitching and being alive in my plastic grocery bag full of guts for a good few minutes. Is that normal? Did I commit a heinous crime against that bass? In the past I have tried to bash them in the head or stab them in the brain or cut their gill arteries to bleed them out quickly but I haven't had much luck.
Cut the head off a chicken, they'll struggle for at least 30-60 seconds. That's why they use funnel chutes in that Sarah Palin video with the turkey slaughters in the background.

So yeah, no head = dead. Bodies flop around sometimes.

Catfish are p much immortal though. Throw em in the back of a pickup in 90 degree weather and go fishing all afternoon, then drive home for 2 hours and they'll still try to bite you.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

FogHelmut posted:

I've been doing an incorrect Fish N Fool knot, or maybe you want to call it a reverse Trilene knot. Palomar seems easier.
Palomar knot is amazingly simple and also versatile, I use them to make multi-hook leaders by pulling extra length out and then threading a hook over it, for beach casting, then I do one on both ends and loop a swivel through one end and whatever size weight I need from the other. I'd heard about "palomar knots" for years but for some reason I assumed it was another of those ludicrously complicated knots which require both hands plus holding part of the knot in your mouth while you push the knot snug with your tongue (gently caress you Dropper Loop! You always loving go wonky on me!)

I'm a total convert because you can pretty much tie a palomar one-handed.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
But why would you need to handle a hook until the knot is finished? For reals, don't hold sharp poo poo in your hand while you're busy tying a knot.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Why not buy a 3 or 4 piece rod, and pack it in a small-rear end PVC tube? ;)

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I did the same thing for my 2-pc 9 1/2 ft rod and just used some duct tape to secure the ends. At first I didn't even tape them on but after I dropped it, the tip popped off. Cost me like 6 bucks, but it's over 4 foot so not so handy for air travel.

I did stick an old gym bag shoulder strap to it though. :)

Many 3 or 4 piece rods come with their own container though I've got a couple fennwick backpacking rods that're awfully easy to tote around in luggage.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Aug 30, 2014

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

RabbitMage posted:

Coastal Humboldt County. I've been out a few times with my friends, but we all have no idea what we're doing. My friend's managed to catch a few surf perch, but no luck for me so far.
You're really in a great area for fishing. My uncle lives in Klamath and catches all kinds of poo poo. I was born in Eureka but never spent enough time growing up down there to know the area, although my dad knows it like the back of his hand. You can also check out the california DFW web site for a lot of good resources including fishing reports and stocking locations and dates if you just want to catch pellet fish. http://www.dfg.ca.gov/fishingpassport/guide.asp

My uncle says you can get some amazing fish on the Smith river, although from how he says it, the Klamath river is not super great for salmon unless you have a Native friend with bank-side property and no limit, but if you can get out to the river delta and hit the saltwater there are some huge perch hanging around..

I'd go to a few local fishing shops and ask for some pointers on places to try, or just find a cheap book on fishing in Nor Cal/PNW.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Sep 30, 2014

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
It's finally begun to rain off and on in OR, so I am heading to the coast this weekend to see if I can catch a salmon who's gotten scent of rainwater. Spooled up one of my reels with braid and I'm looking forward to trying it out. :)

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

That way is the way I was taught (last year around this time), and it does work great until your hooks start getting small. It's a real pain with 2lb on smaller than #8 hooks. Works just fine with #1 or 1/0, though.
At that size I tend to use a trilene knot.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Christobevii3 posted:

How do you figure out which baits to use and whether to use a bobber or not?
Lick my finger and measure the wind. :science:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

AtAt-de-fay posted:

Hello, Fishing Thread.

Last week, my nephew dropped off the rod and reel combo I lent him a few months ago. He'd been tearing up lunker largemouth in South Carolina all summer with it and was kind enough to show me pictures of his fish. More recently, my younger brother returned my surf rig he borrowed for his trip to North Carolina where he was on the bluefish pretty good. A friend a little west of me goes trout fishing in the mountain streams and posts his catch on Facebook constantly.
Rinse the reel and line of salt? You'll hate them much more when you pull that rod and reel out in 9 months and they're corroded to poo poo.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Ok, fly fishing in the Bay Area probably isn't such a sure bet.

I'm guessing a freshwater fly rod will be pretty useless on a pier for instance, but there are plenty of salt and freshwater non-stream spots around. Is there a cheap-ish rod and reel combo that might do me for both? poo poo I haven't done anything but fly fishing since I was about 14, somebody tell me what equipment I can use to catch some fish in our deep lakes and ocean piers/shores?
Yes. But a fly-rod will work as long as you get the correct rod weight and line weight, and you can also use bait or lures on a fly-line and lead in some circumstances.. CA is a biiig state and while I don't have a ton of experience in So Cal that I remember (was too young,) there are a fuckload of rivers, streams, lakes, bays, and the like. Maybe check out ifish.net and give some more-specific location and rigging info alongside of your specific questions in the "community" area..? :D

Also, hit up your state's DFW site (I think the acronym is a bit different but if you google for "california dept of fish and wildlife" you'll find way more than enough), they have fishing guides, rigging guides stocking maps and calendars, and also all those legalities we need to know about.. ;)

I have a pile of old trout-fishing and fly-fishing books oriented around Nor Cal which would maybe be just what you need - so my advice is hit up a used bookstore, and then start looking for bait and tackle stores once you get used to the structure and species you're looking for.. :)

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Oct 12, 2014

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Welp, I have seen all kinds of way-better-than-I folks talking about catching surf fish on a flyrod in surf-waters. Also I've see people with 10 foot salmon/deep-fishing rods and reels hitting poo poo off the rocks next to a small river delta. The best fishermen I personally know? Rock light rods and reels with heavy-test braid and a light leader (for salmon most of the time, switch out if there'e bigger fish to fry...).. As my uncle (in law I guess) says, "when I set my hook, if I'm rockin' 40 pound test and fishing shoulder to shoulder with a buncha idjits then I just wait until they line gets stuck to mine while I'ma fightin' and BAM yank that poo poo, cut they line in half. That'syer combat fishin'!" Lighter leader, but a main-line you can cut a throat with, as it were. :fuckoff:

I would personally say, go to a few estate/garage/yard sales and buy a non-fly rod/reel combo that looks not-eroded and then invest 5-40 bucks in good line. Maybe keep an eye open for some waders and good 8-10 foot rod and reel combos for even better deals because they're as common as dirt. But you can certainly get lucky with a decent fly rocking anywhere you want - and it'll be fun as gently caress.

If I were you I'd spend a couple hours perusing the CA Department of Fish and Game or w/e their acronym is, there is a lot of super-useful info there and nearly all state "DFW sites" have "easy angling" pages full of maps with lists of stocking dates, fish species, and recommended lures and rigs. After getting 15 years out of practice fishing, I spent at least an hour researching online per hour with a hook in the water which resulted in a fish - although that ratio is rapidly turning over nowadays! :D

Nowadays I spend a bit more time scouting river-banks in the car with my dog than with a hook in the water, because I got no drift boat and the bankie spots are popular, so I'm kind of making up a local map of where to show up at 430am.. :laugh:

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Oct 12, 2014

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

AtAt-de-fay posted:

I've had the same surf combo since I was twelve and it is pristine. I am just filled with jealousy about how much fishing other people have done and all I've managed is a handful of forays to the small pond near my house. My fault, really. I'll just make a concerted effort to set aside time for it when the weather warms up again. When the shad are running in March, I will be ready.
Yeah I just wanted to make sure to mention it, because it is super important. My brother left one of my lightweight rod and reels in the storage at my family's beach house. He only used it once to plunk in the little river delta off the rocks near the beach house - when I found it in the storage room 6 months later the reel was pitted all to poo poo and there was rust on the guides. This was an indoor closet-type storage room, not a shed exposed to the salt air. I've also personally tossed a leader with hooks and weights into a dry bucket, drove home, and the very next day, the hooks were so rusted that they got thrown away.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Soulex posted:

Got some questions for y'all.

I am looking into fishing as a fun thing to do. I did it when. I was a kid, but as an adult, it's new grounds. I live in the Pacific NW, but will mainly be doing fresh water fishing. Hoping to get Salmon (I love Salmon) but am down to try anything I catch really.

I will be looking at spin casting reels because I am completely new and it feels natural so far. I'd like to piece everything together instead of buying a bundle (I don't know how reliable Shakespeare or Ready2Fish brands are). That way I also learn how to do basic maintenance. I've heard a lot about Zebco, so it seems good. Also Abu Dabi or whatever it is.

What type of set up should. I be looking at? Something that can handle Salmon eventually

Bait?

To my understanding it's hook with bait, then further up the line is some weights, then a bobber to let the line float right? Or should I just be using weights and bait?

Cast and then tease it in correct ? Don't just let the line sit?

How much experience would be needed to go on a fishing trip of some sort?

What would be a good filet knife set to get? I'm going to need to learn how to do that too.

What do you do with the guts and scales?

Edit: more questions

Are the trigger spin AST reels worth it? Or just go for the button?

I'm right handed. Should I be casting right handed and then switching grip and reeling it back in right handed?
State DFW page for wherever you're going will probably help. http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/fishing/where_how.asp Washington has a DFW page as well, with maps, guides on rigging and methods, etc.

You should't spend more than a pittance for your starting gear. Spinners (edit: spinning lures) work good if you know how to use them however, they're also the most expensive and easiest stuff to lose on weeds and overhanging branches and snags etc, so don't spend TOO much time focusing on them until you've got your casting and retrieval practise down a bit.

I assume you'll mostly be fishing for stocker trout so the carolina rig is pretty useful - use two power eggs on a hook, or a marshmallow on a treble, which will float the bait up out of any bottom detritus. Bobbers work but they're boring and they don't work that great unless you know what you're doing - I was 35 before I even knew how to use a slide bobber for god's sake and I have caught hundreds and hundreds of trout in my life. I don't like using bobbers in a lead shorter than several feet which means it's kinda hard to cast and most fish are cagey enough to hang out on the bottom where it's harder for open-air predators to nab them.

As for casting, "trigger" spinning reels are really helpful and simplify things a great deal while you're learning. You can cast with either hand (if you use a large enough rod or get the technique down, you can use both hands for more distance), and if you wanna flip it over and switch hands, that's fine and dandy - whatever works best for you! :)

As for cleaning fish, a fillet knife is only necessary when you're catching pretty substantial fish, and in the PNW unless you hit a salmon or big-rear end bass you won't find much in clear water that's going to need a fillet knife.. When you do get around to filleting, I'd recommend a cheap wooden cutting board with a clip or nail to stick the tail of the fish to - it can help a great deal. As for the guts and scales, put them in a plastic bag, tie it off well, and then throw them away anywhere that's NOT NEAR YOUR OWN GARBAGE because good lord it'll get gross quickly.. Also split open the stomaches and see what is inside - it's a great way to learn what fish want to eat where you've been catching them.

Going on a guided trip is one of the absolute best ways to learn - just be sure to do a little research first, price check, and then pick the guide's brain - they generally will provide all the gear and can and will help clean the fish for you if you are new, and if you get a guide on a waterway which you plan on fishing again in the future, pepper him with dumb noob questions - if they aren't willing to answer questions to someone paying a couple hundred bucks for their expertise then gently caress them, they're assholes and make sure to post a lovely review of them so others will know it as well.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Oct 23, 2014

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Falukorv posted:

Discard them? I usually gut and descale them by the lake and just throw the stuff into deep water. It will sink and become fishfood. Alternatively leave it on top of a rock and the gulls take care of it. But depending on where you live it might not be a good idea to subsidize gulls further. Also maybe not a good idea if you have bears around.
FYI this may be illegal depending on the waterway. One IMPORTANT tip I'd add, is to pick up a copy of your state's fishing regs - they're laying around free in almost any store that sells fishing gear (except wal mart, never seen one there although I might be mistaken) and then bring it along. There are often special regs for individual rivers and streams and lakes and what's cool in one area might be a big no-no in another.. I have a cheap backpack I keep most of my day-use gear in, and I just slide a copy of the regs in there so I can double-check - it's really not that easy to understand WTF regs mean sometimes, and if you at least have a copy and get nailed by a warden, you might be able to beg off on the "I brought the regs and read them and was still unsure" line - but they also have hotlines for regulation clarification questions, and they're really useful.

(If you encounter a "marine protevtion zone" in the regs, easiest way to figure out where the zone begins and ends is to just type the lat/longitude coordinates into google maps.)

"Natural disposal" of guts is one of those things that might be a big no-no and which can and will change depending on where you go... If you're camping and gut a fish, throw it in the water or dig a DEEP hole far away from your campsite, it's not unlikely that it could attract a bear or something dangerous.

Disposing of fish guts is kind of like burning trash in a campfire - everyone knows you're not supposed to do it, many people ignore that and do it anyway. IIRC in Oregon/WA right now, disposal of fish guts at sea is against regs, despite it being the most logical place one would dispose of them. :downs:

edit: since you're in the PNW, here's a good and early tip: go to Bi-Mart. They've got some of the best prices, and their sporting goods people are generally sportsmen/women who can tell you what's been hitting and how, in the area. Everybody has pet theories though so don't take anything as gospel - lord knows how many people still think WD-40 cuts human scent and also attracts fish (it doesn't even contain fish oil anymore iirc)!

And don't start with a baitcasting reel unless you want to start in the deep end of the pool, learning-curve-wise. There's nothing more humiliating than turning a reel into a bird-nest in front of a bunch of other fishermen, and that is exactly what you'll be doing every third cast or more often, until you really learn to keep your thumb on it.. I'd like to own one with a depth counter but that's about the only reason I feel they'd be necessary.

If you want to get fancy with a spinning reel buy some braided line, and then put a leader of lower test mono or flouro line a few feet long to tie to hooks - when you get snagged you can just yank hard and break the leader and your main line won't take any damage - while mono line would stretch and weaken from the pressure.. And using Braid is like using a fighting kite when you're on a crowded bank - if you get a fish on and get tangled up with some nearby idiot's line - gently caress him, pull hard and fast and it'll shear right through it if he's not using heavier braid! :fuckoff:

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Oct 23, 2014

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I went fishing today!

Hit a little artificial lake by my house. My tackle was absolutely wrong for this.

Penn battle 4000 on a 6'6" medium-heavy rod with 25lb braided line. I found some 6# fluoro leader, however, and tied onto that. I had some spinning lure kits and whipped together a couple of willow blades and a colorado blade. The willows were #10 trebles and the colorado was a #6 treble.

I caught a green sunfish and a crappie. I literally could not tell when I had a fish on, as the gear I was using was more in tune with bull reds and doormat flounder than panfish smaller than my hand. It's also really hard to cast more than 15 yards with heavy line and 3/8oz lures.

I'm gonna go find some ultralight ultracheap rod to see if freshwater fishing is everything everyone says it's cracked up to be. I'm also gonna take some catfish bait and maybe a bobber next time, too.
You might toss in an extra 20 bucks for another reel and fill er up with 4-10 lb test as well.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I haven't gotten in much fishing, but got 60 lbs of chanterelles and found some really cherry spots to get a hook wet last week, all fly-fishing only though so I didn't have the right gear in the trunk.

swickles posted:

Rick Scott is literally the worst governor in history. I am not even embellishing, his approval rating is lower than any other governor from any other state in history. Its a miracle he got elected to begin with.
:ssh: don't look at the election results from last night then.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Rhythe, you might try a piece of perforated metal and then a couple machine screws with nuts, drill a couple holes in the PVC and cut the metal at the spike angle you like. I made a beach casting rod holder like that last year. Works great, cheap as dirt from scraps I bought at a building materials re-store, it all cost about 2 bucks and a bit of electric tape just for good measure. The perforated scrap I found was from an old shelving unit or something and has a smallL lip on the edge which reinforces it nicely and helps it fit to the round PVC.

For gifts for a kayaker, maybe a roll of sticky back Velcro to attach sundry to the hull in handy spots?

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jan 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

LingcodKilla posted:

Yeah so leaving carp corpses all over the place would be a jerk move but there's no limit on them in the US so you may as well drag them home and throw them in the compost.
Yup. I saw a probably 5-8 lb carp which someone had caught and thrown out onto the bank behind the dock, a few days ago at a local pond. Just threw it onto the bank 15 feet from the water in the sun. :krad: