Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

To the fly fisherman out there:

Are the really lightweight swivels/snaps marketed for fly use actually viable? I hate having to retie flies, widdling down my leader to the point of hindering my casting. This leads to me having a longer leader than I can manage really so that's self-defeating. A tippet seems to be more trouble (and one more knot) than it's worth. Then again, I suck at fly fishing right now. :shrug:

For some extreme fly tying, check out Graham Owen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

perabyte posted:

As a fly fishing guide, I can personally tell you to suck it up. I have to re-tie rigs all day long. I must tie over a hundred knots a day. Its all part of the game. I can tie knots and flies on without even looking now.

Ah well, I suppose it's not really that big of a hurdle. I'm used to having to retie while bass fishing pretty often though snaps and swivels have still kind of spoiled me a bit there. I'll just have to practice tying the more complicated knots used in fly fishing.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Even most nets will do more harm to a fish than a hook. Holding a fish improperly can kill it. Honestly, I'm wondering what your goal is if you're trying to fish while trying to prevent 100% of the harm that's going to be inevitably caused to the animal. I pinch down the barbs of all my flies to minimize harm as much as I can, as well as to make fly fishing less dangerous to my own self. Pretty sure a percentage of the fish I return still die, though.

I guess you could get one of those RC cameras that you cast out and just observe fish?

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Mar 25, 2013

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I exclusively tie the Palomar Knot just because it's so drat easy to tie.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Planet X posted:

What's an all around good topwater lure for bass and bream? I have a lake near me that's got shallow banks and really bad veg. Or should I just learn a good weedless rig?

Heddon Torpedoes and Tiny Torpedoes in Baby Bass have been good to me.

Edit: I overlooked your comment about really bad top-water vegetation. With those propellers, you'd just be reeling in salad every cast. Maybe a Hula Popper/Tiny Hula Popper in Perch or Frog with the trebles replaced with a single trailing hook.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Aug 13, 2015

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

My oldest lure (or I should say, the one I've had the longest) is a black Jitterbug that I have had for nearly 20 years. In fact, I think I may have borrowed it from my brother's tacklebox and never returned it. :ninja:

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 21, 2016

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

Ok I guess I need your youtube recommendations so I can learn how to cast a spinning reel. I used to do it as a kid, but I bought a new rod and reel today, got new line put on at the store, and then went out and cast the line into knots until I got sick of untying them and went home.

I remembered it being you hold the line to the rod with your right index finger, flip open the bail with your left, and cast, releasing the line as you bring the rod forward. I'm clearly loving something up, though.

Have you tried switching the side the retrieve handle is on? Maybe you'll have better luck.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I'm a wimp so I crush all my barbs. Doing less damage to the fish is just a bonus.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I reeled in a bluegill with a water moccasin attached once.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I just instinctively mash down the barbs of all my hooks with pliers and say I'm doing it to harm the fish less rather than the real reason which is I'm a wimp that doesn't want a barbed hook in my hand/other parts.

it's for both reasons, of course

When I was real young, I lodged a crankbait's treble hooks into the back of my bro's head while casting. I've avoided treble hooks ever since.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 1, 2019

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I accept and am fine with the fact that I will lose a certain percentage of fish avoiding treble hooks and mashing down barbs. I catch-and-release anyway. It'd be a different story if it were my job/livelihood or I caught them for eating.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Man I just keep coming back to the thought of putting a live frog on a hook

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Nothing beats a spinning reel for throwing light tackle.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

:woop: I ALMOST CAUGHT A FISH THIS MORNING :woop:

Now, you can never escape. :getin:

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

The first time I ever used a cast net, I was taught to throw it over my shoulder prior to tossing it out. I don't know if this is the proper way to do it or not since I only did it this once and it worked pretty well so it's what I did. This was when I was about 16 so over 15 years ago.

Anyway, I ended up getting jellyfish and their tentacles all over my back, down my shirt, on my face, in my head. These were just basic-rear end jellyfish so it's miles and miles away from Man-o-war territory but it was real bad for my wimpy self.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jul 21, 2019

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

About all I use nowadays is a 39.99 pfleuger fly rod combo I paid too much for from Walmart over 7 years ago with flies I tie myself from craft department supplies and chicken/duck feathers and cat/dog/goat hair from pets and neighbors' farm animals.

Thought about using blue jay or cardinal feathers from the yard but I'm pretty sure having any parts of migratory birds is a big no-no. (The ducks are just lazy-rear end farm ducks, not wild or migratory)

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 24, 2019

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Backpage but for fishing. Literal and figurative catfishing.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

prom candy posted:

Trophy mounting fish kind of sucks. I dunno I feel like a bit of a hypocrite because I definitely am killing some fish doing mainly c&r but I feel like you should either be eating a fish or doing what you can to keep it alive. If you catch a real trophy fish you can get replicas made with measurements and photos.

Someone can feel free to tell me I'm wrong and dumb here.

I'm with you 100%.

I think mounting animals is kind of dumb to begin with but a lot of that has to do with the fact I'm too lazy to dust and those things seem like dust magnets - unless you can put them in a display case or something.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 26, 2019

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

Yeah I didn’t know I could do that. Seems a little less...... genuine than the real thing, though, I dunno.

I come from redneck country, so mounting a trophy hunting/fishing animal isn’t considered monstrous according to my upbringing.

I live deep in the woods on a dirt road that is the local dump spot for deer that have their antlers/heads chopped off while the rest of the meat rots and I find that pretty monstrous. This is not usually the case as most hunters want the meat because it's good as hell, but I still see just whole headless deer there sometimes - not even gutted so there wasn't even an attempt. At least the buzzards get a meal I guess.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jul 26, 2019

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

"But if someone else catches MY fish, it lessens the value it has to me. Value is only created when things are consumed/removed instead of shared with others."

-- Summary of what someone I sometimes go fishing with told me. I was honestly surprised that they were even able to express why exactly they were so adamant on trying to mount their fish and how cruelly nuanced it was.

Further note: They had caught 3 nice sized largemouth in the past with intent to mount. Two were never mounted and thrown away/left to rot. One was mounted but he never picked it up from the taxidermist or maybe he pawned it; he definitely doesn't have it now.

(I actually don't know what you do with fish until you have them mounted. Put them in the freezer?)

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jul 26, 2019

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Enigma posted:

Sounds like your friend may have issues mounting more than just fish, if you catch my meaning.

A lot of "sportsmen" in my area are like this. A lot are also huge cop supporters but loving hate game wardens.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

the yeti posted:

:catstare: That's the tone and banal selfishness of a genuinely hosed up individual right there.

Re: keeping trophies in general, couldn't you make the argument that trophy sized females, represent a big hit to the local breeding population compared to say deer, where the trophies are always male?

On a more basic level, I just can't stand when people waste things without caring.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jul 27, 2019

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

I want to fish again but I can’t today. :whitewater:

I want to morning fish again but I probably can’t until Monday. Maybe tomorrow if I’m lucky. :whitewater:

I just want to say that I admire your dedication to keep at it even when things go sideways and I'm glad you still have the drive to enjoy fishing. You've done a lot in a short time, especially for someone getting back into the sport after 10+ years. Just something about you coming in here and posting about how much you look forward to fishing brings a little joy to me for some reason.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jul 27, 2019

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Gooch181 posted:

Sounds good, thanks! The frog might actually be a hit, given how many of them start singing at the pond before dark.
I've had the most luck with these lures so far, they are lethal.

These pre-rigged purple worms with the red bead and propellers are one of the things my grandpa used to swear by.

What's y'alls "foolproof" lures from the past? When I was growing up it was an H&H spinnerbait that I'm not sure even exists anymore. They were extremely cheap (25 cents) and came in little baggies on a cardboard sheet. You would tear one off like it was a phone number for guitar lessons.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jul 28, 2019

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Lot of Beetle Spins and Baby Bass colored torpedoes, too.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

LegionAreI posted:

Instructions unclear, I kiss every bass, is that wrong? Old timer told me one of them might be a wishing bass :v:

Jimmy Houston, is that you?

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Nevermind, I completely misunderstood.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Aug 1, 2019

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Gooch181 posted:

I hooked a fish on my fly rod!

And then it got away with my only popper :D
I strip-hooked whatever it was and in the moment it took me to process what I needed to do next, it was gone. For all I know it was probably the smallest bluegill in the pond, but it sure feels different when they hit on the fly rod.

Now start tyin'.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Does anyone else put down a layer of electrical tape on their reels when they're respooling them to prevent the line from slipping? I guess the glue could get gummy and bind up the line but I've been doing it as long as I can remember. I just do one wrap - enough for the line to bite into a bit for the first layer or two.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 30, 2019

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I use a cheap-rear end travel fly tying kit because I like how it all fits in a ~ 4"x8" box.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Elmnt80 posted:

Wait wut? Link me to it good buddy! :D

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3899268

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Dik Hz posted:

My wife got me a super cool fishing log book for my birthday, so I log everything. It's kinda fun.

Where are you in NC? I can probably put you on some nice delayed harvest trout if you're willing to go to the middle of the state. If you want wild trout and you're in the eastern 2/3 of the state, the closest trout water to you is the Smith River by Martinsville, VA. I'll put you on the best access if you want.

Would you mind posting a link to this fishing log? Seems like it'd make a good gift for a young fisherman in-law of mine.