Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

van de schande is bevrijd
hij die met walkuren rijd
Does anyone have a source for good bang-for-the-buck fly rod blanks?

I have a 6-weight and a 9-weight that cover most of my fishing, but I have some rodbuilding stuff and want to finally use it. I fish mostly for panfish and bass, and I use the big rod for poppers and heavy flies, so I'm thinking maybe a 7-weight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

YarPirate posted:

Now that I've got the fever, I have to ask, does anyone have any recommendations for brands of fly rods? I'm a beginner at the sport, so I'd like to avoid something pricey at the moment. Something around a 4 or 5 weight, 2-piece would be ideal. I'd mostly be fishing on lakes, but it would be nice to get a rod that was capable of maneuvering in tighter streams, since that's what is mostly available for moving water around here.

My recommendation would be to get a four-piece rod. They're easier to pack down and I don't think you lose anything with the two extra joints, personally. I have a 2-piece trout rod and a 4-piece bass/saltwater rod and the bass rod is easier to stick in the car because the rod tube is shorter.

Definitely cast fly rods before you buy. Starting out, you need a rod with an action that 'feels good' with your casting stroke. My impression is that most people are suited by a 5- or 6-weight 9' rod with a medium action that loads well.

For brands:

Temple Fork Outfitters is good for the money, they're kind of an everyman's rod and you can get them at big stores like Cabela's or Bass Pro Shops. Or at least they were last time I was shopping for a rod.

I also had the chance to fish for a weekend with L.L. Bean's Double L combo a few years ago, too, and it was actually a pretty nice rod and reel setup. I had a lot of fun and caught a lot of fish with it. You run the risk of looking like a yuppie but my experience is that their freshwater gear is well-made and reliable.

Plus you can scoop the rod at an outlet store sometimes for cheap, which is kind of nice.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

leica posted:

What are these "spooks" you speak of? I've been using D.O.A shrimp and greenback lures and haven't caught a drat thing, only a few hits. I'm at my wits end with lures and getting ready to go to live bait again, I wish I could find a consistent lure for catching snook and sea trout.

I would expect he means a Zara Spook like this one, or something similar.

Spooks are a lot of fun to use.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

How does Carolina rigging work?

I picked up the hardware to do it, tied a three or four foot leader on, rigged a 6" curlytail worm, and made exactly one cast before going back to my trusty jigheads & grubs. Holy smokes was that thing awkward.

Using a general purpose 6'6 F/MH casting rod.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

PREYING MANTITS posted:

fluke or trick worm

It did not occur to me to try a floating worm and I feel dumb now. When I'm not fishing a grub, I'm usually fishing a weightless trick worm on my spinning rod.

:doh: