Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Fishergoons, I'm looking for a basic rod & reel x2 for my lady friend and i that we can use without hating until we get some experience and/or want to try something more specialized. I could just mail order Cabela's based on the OP but wouldn't it be better to see how the items feel in hand? I think Walmart and Field & Stream are my choices nearby but I'm not really savvy enough right now to know if I'm looking at gear that's so cheap as to be unserviceable.

We're mostly interested in fishing for dinner to take home or as we hike and camp. Here in northern KY it seems like panfish, bass, cats, & trout are pretty standard targets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Some a y'all might get a kick out of these fish posters (click through)

They remind me of those "Salt/fresh water game fish of the $region" that every coastal vacation house bar and restaurant seems to have

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Y'all talking about microfishing reminded me of this guy I follow on iNaturalist: http://www.inaturalist.org/observations/pmk00001

His photos in general are pretty cool but in particular it was neat to see the tiny but really pretty fish he came up with from the latte-colored creeks and rivers round where I grew up. I always assumed there was nothing much in most of them but turtles.

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Out of the murk comes this huge turtle with a head the size of a softball, inches from my fingers. I noped right out and cut the line, good on you guys for getting them unhooked. He survived, saw him chilling around the dock again this year. All catfish baits get tossed extra far out now.

That's a hell of a way to find an alligator snapping turtle :black101:

the yeti fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 29, 2017

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

North Carolina. They're pretty much all lumped in there aside from warmouth.

Same. The older folks on both sides of my family always called ‘em bream (‘brim’)

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Saw this going around, is this chunky boi a mutant or in breeding mode or what?

https://twitter.com/bruce_condello/status/1133563472653017088?s=21

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Enigma posted:

diamondback watersnake maybe?

Yup, almost certainly.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

LingcodKilla posted:

Ok for a slightly different take I’ve seen some interesting things done to big toothy fish like a pike where they lop off the head and stick a beer can in the mouth then let it dry in the sun until it mummifies, remove the can and then shellac with multiple coats then mount it on a wall.

Kinda cool in a very diy way and you get to eat it.

A skull mount for a big predator like a pike or muskie would be cool as gently caress but I shudder to think how fiddly and delicate it would be to clean

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Unperson_47 posted:

"But if someone else catches MY fish, it lessens the value it has to me. Value is only created when things are consumed/removed instead of shared with others."

-- Summary of what someone I sometimes go fishing with told me. I was honestly surprised that they were even able to express why exactly they were so adamant on trying to mount their fish and how cruelly nuanced it was

:catstare: That's the tone and banal selfishness of a genuinely hosed up individual right there.

Re: keeping trophies in general, couldn't you make the argument that trophy sized females, represent a big hit to the local breeding population compared to say deer, where the trophies are always male?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

What about squirrel tails, I seem to remember reading somewhere that fur is good fly material.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Well squirrel and rabbit season is about to open, if I end up with any tails or ears kicking around I’ll post here

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Steam or bake the little ones sounds like it’d work just fine? :chef:

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I don’t even see the code. All I see is drum, snapper, sand dab. :matrix:

(In all seriousness I remember looking at my uncles’ sonar and couldn’t make heads or tails of it. It’s incredible to me you can pick that much nuance out )

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

This guys costal foraging videos are my main interest but his fishing stuff looks pretty cool, maybe it’s of interest to y’all

https://youtu.be/zWLsUrE8nrA

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Gonna be on the NC coast for 2 weeks in June; my experience from childhood is that summer that shore is iffy (time of year and the fishing pressure i always assumed) but with the intracoastal waterway right there, there's always lots of (blue) crab pots around.

How does one crab on a budget? The last time I did it I had access to a boat and about 4 crab pots we tossed out and then amused ourselves with chicken necks on a string til they were ready to collect.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

On a slightly different tack, I have a Shimano Ax reel kicking around somewhere with no rod, could I make that into something to fish the intracoastal and its creeks? Looks like I'll have some public access piers with a view to vegetation and bridge pilings.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Suspect Bucket posted:

Dicks has ALL the Daiwa Samurai spinning combos on sale for 18 dollars. Light, medium, and heavy rods. If you want to pick up a beater rod, I recommend them.

That'll do nicely, thanks for the tip :hfive:

I figure I'll come prepared to throw some small jigs annnnnd I dunno what else--most people I see fish here are on the ocean side pier using ready made 2 or 3 hook rigs with shrimp or worms---and they don't seem to catch much of anything except small sharks.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I loving hate small sand sharks so, so bad.

They were rad when I was 8 but yeah

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Stay safe friends

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

We're supposed to get a cold snap down below freezing Friday morning to low 40s saturday to mid 50s sunday. I was considering trying to get out to a local park pond thinking the cold would keep people away, but is there any point in going looking (the lake apparently has bluegill, bass, catfish, and stocked trout) when it's that cold? I unfortunately don't know anything about the topography underwater or how deep it gets.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I went out for a couple hours last weekend in the aforementioned cold and got nothin; I'll type up something a little about where I was at when I have time, but in the meantime, poll:

Does crappie rhyme with scrappy or poppy?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

the yeti posted:

I went out for a couple hours last weekend in the aforementioned cold and got nothin; I'll type up something a little about where I was at when I have time, but in the meantime, poll:

Does crappie rhyme with scrappy or poppy?

Okay so--the TLDR is: 37F and windy, I only lasted about an hour, and in that time I broke off a jig on some sunken garbage, drowned some hotdog bits and had a lot of trouble both casting where I wanted and figuring out anything like feel of the line with the wind going like it was. Oh well. There were other people out, I counted about 6 other angling popsicles.

This is where I was at if anyone wants to have a look https://goo.gl/maps/WRRKbXjwCzuqSSnX7
I set out to check out the bottommost finger but it was shallow and full of snags on the side i was on so I moved aorund a bit til I got too cold

For next trip I'm thinking based on the number of people I've seen on the lakeshore proper that I might be better off taking a look the two creeks that feed into the lake as well as the outflow. I could see from driving around there that the inlet creeks at least have a nice amount of water in them and a few pools.

Or I call it an overpressured mess and find someplace not in the middle of an enormous public park :shobon:

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

This may be an impossibly broad question but what are folks doing when I see them reach up and manually strip line off the reel with bait in the water?

Fiddling with line tension I assume but with what intent?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

King of Bees posted:

What kind of fishing?

I've been watching mostly american pan and catfishing on youtube but also some boaters and kayakers

Dik Hz posted:

If your bait is in the water and you're on a boat, you might strip line of the reel to hold your bait in position because the boat is moving. Also, for some species, stripping line and dropping the bait can trigger a strike. It's very common in the walleye fishing I'm used to in Minnesota. If you feel a tap, you jig twice more and then drop line. And then resume jigging.

gay picnic defence posted:

I sometimes do it when I think a fish is toying with the bait but backing off when it feels the weight of the sinker or rod tip. My thinking is that it will give the fish more time to get the bait in it's mouth before feeling anything.

It would only really work with a running sinker rig.

That makes a lot of sense, thanks y'all :tipshat:

the yeti fucked around with this message at 02:36 on May 19, 2020

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

wtf how did that post get in here

the yeti fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jun 1, 2020

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

:frogsiren:ALERT:frogsiren:ALERT:frogsiren:

Kobolds just dropped a sick newbie fisherperson care package on me including some of his homemade weights and jig heads :neckbeard:

annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd

Thanks a bunch, seriously.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

My first saltwater trip as an adult was mostly just casting practice :shobon: oh well!

I pitched some jigs at the mouth of a canal/creek with some docks and grass islands in the vicinity, got maybe a couple nibbles but nothing really notable. Public access off a park, ridiculous wake from all the intracoastal traffic. Saw lots of bait and a few jumping fish.

Rig was medium action rod, shimano spinning, 10# green trilene mono. Pics of the tackle and area below, looking forward to hearing about what I did wrong :shobon: but I think the tldr is maybe try live bait and and find a spot that’s quieter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

There’s already a fishing thread in there but I forget why someone decided we need two