Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?
My girlfriend absolutely loves fishing, but said she needs a new tackle box. Any suggestions on a decent one or what to put in it it? I don't want to give her an empty box as a present. She generally just fishes for bass and pike by her dad's house. We are in Michigan if that matters at all. I've never really fished, but I got dragged out yesterday. Now I plan on picking up a combo deal at Gander Mountain or Bass Pro when I get a chance. It was a lot of fun, though her dad did tie my hook on and all that and she baited my hooks for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Dik Hz posted:

Tackle boxes and Bass tackle are highly personal items. I'd recommend taking her shopping and picking up the tab. Let her help you pick out a rod/reel also.

That's a good idea, maybe I'll take her down to Cabela's and let her pick out what she wants since I'd screw it up somehow.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

I went fishing by myself after work, after buying a $40 spinner combo at Gander Mountain. Ran into some cool old guys who gave me some advice and helped me fix my reel after I turned it into a bird's nest.

I ended up catching a small 8" small mouth on my first cast and a few bites after that but didn't manage to reel anything in.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Well I took the girlfriend to Cabela's and let her pick out what she wanted. It turns out:

+ + + + = a happy girlfriend.

Thanks for the advice. Looks like I'm going to be spending a lot of time at the lakes and rivers around here this summer.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

I've watched a few youtube videos on perch cleaning, specifically https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzq_KFYHCkA and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw5nJdcs9oA. It seems pretty easy.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to learn to clean fish or is youtube the best option? No one I know seems to know how to do it except for a guy who lives a few hours away.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Since it was 99 degrees today and my AC was broke I decided to go fishing at a reservoir about 45 minutes away.

I was fishing between two groups of swimmers about 200 yards on either side of me with .

Large mouth bass were biting it as soon as it hit the water. I've never seen a surface bite in real life before, it was amazing, just like a fishing show. They were leaping out of the water to try and get off the hook. So much fun. I only managed to reel two in. I'm counting the second one even though it shook off the hook because I figure if it falls off and hits me in the foot it counts. A few others managed to get off the hook while jumping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

Anyone know where to get soundings/depth charts for inland lakes, specifically in the UP of Michigan? I swear I should be able to find these, but other than a real general contour map can't dig up anything.

The DNR maps at http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-30301_31431_32340---,00.html will give you contour and on a lot what the bottom is like; vegetation, sand, mud, etc, and what the shoreline is like.

The Navionics app in iTunes is only $10 for the US or $15 for US and Canada.