Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE
Place Holder for West Coast Surf Fishing post.

I'll update this when I have time to type up something worthy and take some pictures of my gear and rigs.

jvick fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE

perabyte posted:

If anybody needs any help with fly fishing, I'd be more than happy to give you some tips and tricks. I'm a guide living in Mammoth, so if anybody's coming up from LA and would like to hire me, just let me know.

How much? What is lodging like around there?

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE

Spike McAwesome posted:

Do you guys know of any types of lures or bait I should use that would be more or less universal? I'm apathetic to the species of fish I would catch, I just want to fish, dammit.

A kastmaster about 1.5 inches long (3/4oz?) should suite you well. Ive caught LMB, SMB, bluegill, and trout on them out here in CA.

I'll reiterate that you should buy these at the local shop. It's nice to support the little guys.

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Just got off the phone with my wife's uncle and it looks like we'll be fishing a mix Stripers and what he called "Black bass" on Friday. It looks like that is just a term for fish in the Largemouth/Smallmouth family, but if someone can clarify northern California fish slang I'm all ears.

Sounds like you'll be fishing in the Delta (south east of Sac). There is a lot of good fishing there this time of year. If you haven't caught stripper before they're a fun fish an put up a decent fight. Black bass seem to be a sub species or something unique to California. I grew up here and even when I ask older people, I never get a straight answer on how they're any different than what you'd catch in Texas.

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE
I have a redington fly reel and it's great! I recommend getting one that's made of machined aluminum, not cast. I think I paid $80-ish for mine from a local shop.

When I get back home Ivan tell you the specific model.

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE
Tide schedules. You can look online, or pick up a tide schedule book at any local hardware or tackle shop. Whenever it says the PM high tide is, fish before that in the evening. Or morning of you're willing to wake up that early. Use a Carolina rig as a basic, ask around if anything else is working well. But for the baits mentioned above, Carolina is a good place to start. If you go for perch, you can pick up some grub lures.

There was also a picture posted recently with a 3-way swivel that you can use. I think something with less resistance between the pole and the bait would work best (sliding sinker type deal). You want to let the bait to flow freely in the water. If the fish grab it they shouldn't feel anything initially.

jvick fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jul 3, 2012

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE

keykey posted:

Apparently, I've missed this thread. I'm headed to the Stockton Delta tomorrow fishing for channel cat.

How'd you do?

I was up in Davis this weekend but wasn't able to get my line in the water long. I took my girlfriend who is deathly scared of spiders and she started crying when she saw all of the garden spiders along the bank. I got to cast twice before she made us go back.

This guy was about 3.5 inches toe to toe. They are harmless, just freaky looking.

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE

keykey posted:

Just got back from Monterey late last night with my wifes family, we went ocean fishing over the weekend. Final count from the rocks over 2 days of fishing at low tide : 3 rock cod, 2 ling cod. Even more importantly, had a ton of fun. It was my first time ocean fishing and definitely won't be the last, parting gifts were surf rods from my father in law. I'm thinking once a month would be a good coastal fishing interval since it's 75 miles away.

Thats great! Where did you go? If you're looking for a fishing buddy next time I'd be glad to show you some spots.

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE

Man, he sure made you work for your first time! How was the surf? It can get pretty rough in that area. What did you take for bait? Squid?

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE

keykey posted:

Yeah, we used squid. You can get it up on the pier for $1.00 per lb. We also tried using shrimp but that didn't seem to work as well. We also used glow in the dark string just above the bait to attract ling cod. Truth be told, it wasn't that bad to get out to, I used the base of my pole as a balancing stick so I didn't get wet at all, I also rolled up my pants to shorts level and I just unrolled them when we got out to the rocks. I actually got better 3g cel reception on the rocks than I did at any point in Monterey as well so that was a bonus. :)

1. Squid
2. Clams
3. Anchovies

In that order. I usually only use anchovies if I'm fishing of the piers, where my line is nearly straight down.

How was the glow in the dark line? I've never used it, but have never gone for long specifically. Sounds like it could be a great tactic.

Here is a picture in Carmel from last week:

http://i.imgur.com/Is7Se.jpg

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE

NiknudStunod posted:

Are there any cod jiggers here? I am heading out to the Gulf of Maine for a over night cod trip this weekend. I have 2 questions really. My first question is do you use a Mono leader on braided line for shock absorbant and if so about how many feet do you use. My second question is when you are are jigging with a teaser how far above the jig do you place the teaser. Now I do have a lot of experience fishing its just nothing recent. A leg injury has kept me sidelined for over 8 years and during a recent trip I felt a little out of date.

Well hello there. It's funny you ask, I was just about to post about this. Granted I'm on the West Coast, so I'm not sure how different this will be, but should be fundamentally the same.

We had 3 rods in the water, 2 with braided line, mine with mono. Really I think it's personal preference, but I don't think there's a huge difference. We fished between 50 - 200 feet. I would argue that the braided line might give better feedback once you're fishing 150ft+. Also, remember that braided line is like rope and I find it to get wrapped around crap in the water (kelp leaves, etc) much easier.

As for leaders, I started with a Shrimp Fly Rig and did pretty well. We also had cut squid on the hooks for smell. We didn't use any teasers, and were pretty successful. One guy I went with ties his own leader rigs and would use jig heads with different bodies. One was a green body that drew a lot of hits from bigger fish. I've personally never used a teaser in the ocean so I can't really give advice there.

Picture time:

Good sized Rock Cod by jvick125, on Flickr

Rock Cod by jvick125, on Flickr

2 Fish, 1 Line by jvick125, on Flickr
(Homemade leader, notice the jig head and length from line to first hook)

Fully Cooked by jvick125, on Flickr

The days Catch by jvick125, on Flickr

jvick fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Aug 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE

EnsignVix posted:

Cool pictures, thanks for sharing. It looks like you guys were using a drop shot rig. I'm planning to try that method out for my first time and read online that a Palomar knot works well for that. Any general tips on rigging this way? Is it still advisable to use this method if shorebound and needing to cast long distances? I'm kind of worried about the lead swinging around and getting all tangled with the hooks or baits.

A Palomar knot would be more than fine. The rig I used had a loop at the end so we just looped the drop shot on that (larks head knot).

When I fish from shore, which is 99% of my ocean fishing, I pretty much always use a Carolina rig with a 3 way swivel or split ring. I believe there was already an example posted in this thread, might have been at the end of the old thread. If you need help I can draw up a diagram. You should have about a foot and a half to two feet of line between your sinker and swivel. Then depending on your preference ~3ft of line from your swivel to your hook. From shore I would advise against a drop shot rig. Also, your weight and line and hook getting tangled is going to happen, it comes with the territory. Just take a few minutes to untangle it. It won't happen every time, less in calmer water.

I would only recommend a drop shot setup if you're fishing vertically (from a boat or pier). Other advise, if you really want to fish with a drop shot, tie up rigs before you head out. Better to be prepared and spend your time fishing rather than playing with line on the beach.

Where will you be fishing?