Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Anyone know where to get soundings/depth charts for inland lakes, specifically in the UP of Michigan? I swear I should be able to find these, but other than a real general contour map can't dig up anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

The DNR maps at http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-30301_31431_32340---,00.html will give you contour and on a lot what the bottom is like; vegetation, sand, mud, etc, and what the shoreline is like.

The Navionics app in iTunes is only $10 for the US or $15 for US and Canada.

Yep, those DNR ones are the ones I'd looked at - I was hoping for more specific soundings, but the contours are good enough. The app seems pretty nice, especially if the GPS signal is accurate enough to let you know if you're at the edge of dropoffs. Thanks guys!

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Anyone have fishing recommendations on mid Wisconsin that isn't the driftless region? Looking for something about a five hour drive from Chicago.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

DoctaFun posted:

Do you have your own boat? What species are you targeting?

Winnebago and Poygan are popular lakes. I fish MN so I don't have many WI recs but I've seen forums chatter/fishing shows on both of those. They are big bodies of water though so if you are bringing a boat you'd want it to be fairly big.

Otherwise if you're chartering, give Green Bay a look. Or do a salmon charter out of Port Washington or something, they catch some nice fish over there.

Orrrr if chartering is what you are planning then maybe just go to Lake Erie and catch some 10lb walleyes to make me really jealous?

Edit: I'm probably missing the point, if you need it to be mid-wisconsin then my first recs make sense. Maybe Castle Rock/Petenwell?

We were looking to do it with rented canoes, combined paddling and fishing thing. I gleaned some info from http://www.travelwisconsin.com/article/camping/shoreline-camping-a-water-lovers-dream and am guessing either Goose Island on the Mississippi or, preferably, East Fork of the Black River as the best bets? I've done driftless plenty and grew up in northwest IL, so Kickapoo/Blackhawk/Yellowstone/Governor Dodge has already been done or close enough. Same with Castle Rock - went there every summer as a boy scout and no inclination to go back, and going up into the north woods I could do easier by visiting the family cabin we have in the UP that's another hour further.

Sorry I didn't say by canoe or from shore, I usually forget that most people don't prefer to do that. We've been hitting the driftless area on and off for years with absolutely no success (then again we caught 2 total fish in the boundary waters in a week's effort), so I'm just looking to change things up by adding some paddling if possible. Plus, I still don't know how to fly fish even though I should probably get a fly rod as I'm currently without anything to cast with.

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 28, 2015

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
So on my first foray into lake Michigan in my kayak with a brand new rod and reel for trolling, I drop it in the lake. Feel terrible.

That said, any recommendations for a rod on amazon? Too embarrassed to go back to the fishing store. Supposedly salmon and trout are what I'm after, they set my up with 30lb braid.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

LingcodKilla posted:

How deep? You may be able to get a alligator treble hook and rope and drag the bottom for it.

I have no idea where it went in, and I was pretty far off shore so no point dragging for it.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Where can I learn about braid, monofilament etc? I don't know why the fishing shop recommended I use that over regular fishing line for kayak trolling.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

LingcodKilla posted:

Some good info from the last few posters.

Holding your rod while trolling with a kayak may be kind of hard though.

I'm wondering if I can just stuff the rod between my back and life jacket and feel any hits that way!

From what was explained to me, salmon in lake Michigan (clear water) can see the braid easier? I have no issue just putting braid on, as it seems weird to be using a bunch of types of line all tied together.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
So it turns out rod floats don't actually make your rod float. This is frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
How do you guys fishing on big water in kayaks launch? I've only been trying to do this since this summer on Lake Michigan, and have been unsuccessful but still had fun. However, even on calm days like yesterday, it was pretty tough to launch off the beach, with breaking waves over my head, and when I came back in I dumped. I'm in a lake kayak (16' long, about 1.5' wide) so I know it's a bit different than what you guys use, but still. Do you never go when there's even the slighest wind?