Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

I occasionally go pole fishing off a pier at my university campus. My tackle is very low-tech since you're only allowed to fish with poles without any permits here in Finland. I'm mainly interested in perch but the season hasn't really started yet, so I'm mostly catching cyprinids like silver bream, carp bream, roach, bleak and ide. Some of my odder catches so far include a single herring and a ruffe.

I'm interested in hearing your opinions on different kinds of baits. So far I've tried:
  • Earthworms. All fish love earthworms, it seems.
  • Dough. Only the cyprinids seem to like this, but it's much faster to make than to go digging for worms.
  • Fish eyes. I can't really tell how well these worked, because I've used them only once and it was a bit late. (The fish seem to stop biting around 15:00. The best time to fish from my pier seems to be noon.) Seemed to work for everything.
  • Pieces of fish I'd caught earlier the same day. I also tried this a bit late today, so I can't say for sure how effective it was. It seemed to scare away all the cyprinids, but I got a small perch and something pretty big the gave a good fight. Both fell off the hook to my dismay. I'm not sure what the big fighty thing was, could have been a large perch, a zander or a pike.
So far it seems like the fish bits yield the tastiest fish. Has anyone else ever tried this kind of bait?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

I went fishing with my dad a week ago. We came back with 7 small perch and these breams, which are now in the freezer, waiting to be smoked:

We also caught some roach and a small ide, but since neither of us knew how to cook them, we ditched them. That won't happen again, since yesterday I finally received an order I've been waiting for a long time: a cookbook on how to prepare practically any coarse fish you could expect to catch in Finnish waters.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

EnsignVix posted:

Nice catch. What were these guys biting on if you don't mind me asking?
Just plain old earthworms. I've tried a number of different baits, but worms always seem to be the most reliable bait for the kind of fish I'm fishing.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

I would like to upgrade my catch storage from a styrofoam cooler to something a bit sturdier and easier to clean. I've been looking at this one, does anyone have any experiences with that one or alternative recommendations?