Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Can anyone recommend a good fillet knife? I bought my pops a Cold Steel carbon fillet knife a few years back, its a great loving knife and powder coated except for the edge, problem is we do mainly saltwater fishing and the edge rusts if you don't dry it right away.

I saw that Morakniv makes a fillet, anyone try one of those?

As tribute here is my father's fish from this morning.

35# Chinook salmon, near Anchor Point, AK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Got a boat recently. No fish worth posting about yet (just a few irish lords). However my crab pots have been very productive.

Red king crabs and Dungeness

TheDon01 fucked around with this message at 00:53 on May 27, 2015

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

Irish lords and no lingcod? What harbor are out of?

Auke Bay in Juneau, AK, I've been all over the area the last couple weeks, Shelter Island, Douglas Island and most of the east side of Admiralty Island

Been looking for rockfish of any kind and halibut, a lingcod would also be a happy bonus.
Sculpin, aka Irish lords are junk, nothing but fins and mouth.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I'm going halibut fishing in Homer in a couple days and I'm so loving excited.

Also, what's a good way to fish from the shore in Alaskan bays? I'll be in Seward for about a week at a cabin and figured I'd rent some gear just for the hell of it.

You will slay the halibut out of Homer, are you going on a charter or with a local?
Kings are in right now, fairly thick this year too. There's a place on the Homer spit called "the fishin hole" thats this tiny manmade cove with a lot of salmon that return there. I saw a few people pull up some nice 20lb+ kings just yesterday.

As for Seward is can vary so much its hard to tell. Some parts are flat as hell and you need to get off shore a ways to get any depth and other spots it can be hundreds of feet deep a stones throw from the shore. I usually only hit up Seward for the silver salmon runs but that's later in the year. There are plenty of spots you can easily shore fish though.

My advice is buy a combo spincast rod/reel from like WalMart or Fred Meyer it will run you about 50$. Vibrax spinners have been working good lately, herring on a double hook setup too. As always check with the local regs, restrictions on bait and hook types can vary from each river and location. Some places its artifical lures only, some places allow treble hooks some its single hook only. Grab a regulation book for south central and keep it with you, you'll find em about anywhere that sells tackle.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

My friends that I'm going with got a charter with Bob's Charters or something. Bob's.

We're staying at Miller's Point in Seward. We'll have a car and could go anywhere I guess. But our cabin is down by the beach, I think.

I don't care what I catch. I fish the way birders bird, so I just want to see any species I can, no matter how inconsequential or useless for food or trophy.

There's all sorts of crazy poo poo you can catch in Seward. If you got a few bucks to spare you might want to book a charter there too. Tons of rockfish, salmon, irish lords, cod, pollock and lingcod in addition to halibut.

In the homer area you're probably going to catch mostly halibut and maybe a cod. Salmon are around but you fish for them completely differently than halibut. Hopefully the charter you booked does both. I've pulled up a few big rear end skates too but they're kinda rare, spiny dogfish too. (apparently also known as gummy sharks elsewhere, I dig that name)

TheDon01 fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jun 2, 2015

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

Whats the tag for? Commericial?

Ever catch a real barn door?

Might be to track whos fish is whos. I know a charter here just got busted last week for not tracking catch and over limit and a handful of other violations.

That's a nice lil halibut too. Bout the size I was catching tons of last week just 20mi north of Homer in Anchor Pt. The little ones taste the best.

12:01am fishing for Kings on the Anchor River right when it opened.

TheDon01 fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jun 5, 2015

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

I have been eating my weight in halibut, cod, rockfish, salmon, mussels, and crab up here in Alaska and I can't poop but I don't care.

You in Seward now?

Are you staying in south central or you doing any traveling around the state?

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Yeah, Seward for a couple more days then back to Colorado. It's just pissing rain nonstop. Got a kayak tour tomorrow and if the weather is nice, I'll probably fish from the bank for a bit in the evening. Then the Sea Life Center, which I'm giddy about.

That sea life center is boss. You'll love it.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Live posting from Southeast AK, cell reception is p.good this far out so now I can fish and shitpost. No bites yet, will let ya know if I see anything cool or catch something.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Halibut is the target, fishing in about 250-300ft and using stank rear end herring I left in my boat from 3 days ago.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Bottom is sandy/silty but there are plenty of rocky spots.

No luck with halibut but my crab pots I dropped the other day were productive.

The king crab were tossed back, too small and too female. But I did get 2 of the biggest dungeness I've seen in a while.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

Nice. No spots for some rockfish on your way in?

Not that I know of. I'm sure they're around but I've only been fishing in this area since last summer. I could tell you where to catch things in Seward and Homer. You familiar with the Juneau area waterways? I need to befriend some salty old bastard that's lived here forever.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Out fishing again. This time for salmon too. Couple bites so far and I have crab pots to check on the way in.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Deep 6 with a twin hook herring rig

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

No idea what a shaker is. Does it bring the lingcod a running?

These are the only regs I've ever seen on Lingcod. Im in the Northern SE Area.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

gay picnic defence posted:

Finally got out for a fish after spending the last month studying for my exams. Ended up with a few pike and a goatfish. No gummy sharks unfortunately.

Pike? You mentioned gummysharks so I'm guessing your maybe southern hemisphere? What are your kind of pike? The ones we call pike up here are freshwater and almost always in lakes.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Sweet, are they 90% bones and teeth like our pike?

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Live posting from the boat again. Love having a cell tower on an offshore island.

Just reeled in this beauty of a halibut.

Gotta go, wife just hooked into something too...looks like this is the spot. I'll update when we get home.

Edit: home now. Wife caught a halibut almost identical to mine.

TheDon01 fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jul 17, 2016

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

LowPartz posted:

On average, what's a ballpark estimate for lure weight/line strength for salt water fishing? I realize different fish=different tackle, but what do you fish for and what do you use?

For my halibut gear above I have 80lb test spiderwire braided, over 200yd on one reel and 150yd of some no name Chinese braided on the other. For tackle it's all circle hooks on some very heavy crimped monofilament (it's like 1mm thick and probably 400lb test) for weights it's cannonball type usually 10oz up to 16oz depending on currents and tides, bait is 6" herring, red package today.

Ill get some pics of my setup tomorrow when there's light outside.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

Bad rear end dude. Going fishing out of Westport, WA tomorrow.

Goodluck buddy. Whatcha going for?
My grandfather used to commercial fish out of Westport back in the 70s.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

That's not too far off from what I'm using for halibut. I wonder if I could put a small float near the hook to keep the bait off the bottom a bit.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Any particular run of salmon you guys are interested in? Up here at least they're all fished kinda differently.

In other fishing news, the wife and I explored a new bay north of here (St. James Bay). Not much action as we decided to bail kinda early, it was smooth sailing across Lynn Canal but the winds and swells were starting to stack up in the afternoon and the wife isn't too fond of slow, bumpy and wet trips across the inlet.

Caught one lil halibut, as we pulled up to the dock there was a lady from the university doing her thesis research on halibut/flounder diets. I donated her the stomach and intestines.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

TotalLossBrain posted:

Nice! What weight was that halibut? I have a hard time telling with that flat shape and all.
I'm after fall chinook and fall/winter steelhead.

The research lady weight it at slightly over 7kg, so 15ish lbs. It's a tiny one, the pair I posted a page or two ago were about 45lbs.

Out walking my dogs at the moment, I'll type up my lovely advice on salmon when I get home.

TheDon01 fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jul 31, 2016

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Mukulu posted:

I heard silvers are awesome fighters. I'm looking to get after them in rivers in Alaska. I got a good amount of pink today.

That halibut is rad.

TotalLossBrain posted:

I'm after fall chinook and fall/winter steelhead.

So my experience with salmon is long, but limited to a few areas throughout Alaska, mainly Cook Inlet, Prince William sound, and the Anchor river and Kenai river/tributaries with a few trips here and there but mostly those 4 locations.

Chinook (aka King) Salmon.
Earlier in the spring/summer you can catch them feeding out in the sea. That early they're usually found fairly deep, 80+ft and you need downriggers to effectively fish for them. Later in the year as the spawn approaches they feed closer to the surface and are easier to catch. For trolling in the sea I personally always use whole herring (smallish ones, 6-7") with a sliding hook mooching rig and hook the herring up so it has one hook out the side of its head and the bottom hook out the other side near its tail. You know its right when you drag it through the water and it does nice wide, slow spiral. This is supposed to mimic a wounded fish.
As the run gets going and they start making their way into fresh water you can start shore fishing for them. When fishing freshwater for kings I try and use cured salmon roe clumps on a single hook with bobber if the watershed allows bait, if it's lures only I like vibrax and pixies.

Coho (silver) Salmon
Never tried to fish them early in the year. I imagine they're out there somewhere and probably fish similarly to early kings. Once the run starts though Silvers are by far my favorite to fish for. Mukulu is right, silvers are probably pound for pound the most fightingest fish in the Pacific. Fishing saltwater I fish them the same as kings, herring on a sliding mooch rig. Once they get close to shore, depending on the area, snagging may be an option, cast a big rear end weighted trebble hook out there and then yank that fucker back as hard as you can. If ya snag em in the tail or back you're gonna have one hell of a fight on your hands.
Freshwater silvers I fish similarly to freshwater kings, cured egg bait if allowed if not then vibrax/pixie lures. The majority of my silver fishing is saltwater out of Seward.

Sockeye (Red) Salmon
My favorite eating salmon, I don't think I've ever fished in saltwater for reds. Once the run starts though they come in THICK. The rivers I've fished for them you can usually stand just in the water a couple feet and see them swiming by right in front of you. None of the places I fish for them allow bait so it's all lures. I've had probably 90% of my reds caught on large colorful flies, they call em Coho Flies but I only use em for sockeye. Dipnetting is also an option, it's not as fun as polefishing but it fills a freezer for winter right quick. My parents just went last weekend and got like 17.

Pink (Humpback) Salmon
Never target them, usually catch a few fishing for silvers. They're alright if you get them early enough but once they start to spawn and change color they're p.much garbage. Good smoked.

Chum (Dog) Salmon

The lowest tier of Alaska salmon, they seem to run earlier than other salmon so I never end up catching many. Don't think I've ever kept one to eat myself. When they start to spawn out they get gnarly looking. Feed em to your pupper.

Steelhead
Not actually a salmon, they're a rainbow trout (subspecies?) that has a saltwater ocean phase like salmon. They get a lot bigger and a little darker than your typical rainbow trout. Fishing for them is basically like silvers/reds though. They respond well to good smelly baits and the usual lures. They don't get quite as big as salmon typically do, so sometimes large salmon gear can kinda be a mouthfull for them if you're targeting steelies. Beautiful looking fish, wish I saw more of them. Unfortunately they're kinda rare where I fish so I never target them and don't really know a great way to get em.

If you're going to be fishing for any salmon in a river within a mile or two of the mouth of the river, Fish the tides.
Wait till low tide starts to turn back to high, there will be a big pulse of fish swiming upstream with the rising tide.

Thats probably enough salmon posting for one post. Remember this is just one idiots anecdotes on fish in a few specific areas, ask your locals. Most are idiots with poo poo advice (see above) but if you ask enough you can get a consensus on some general tactics for your area.

Also if you got a few bucks and you're on vacation up here toss it at fishing charter instead of trying to wing it yourself. They know where all the hot spots are at and will usually have some top notch gear to use. You will 95% of the time catch plenty of fish and it really helps out the local economy.

Feel free to post any followup or more specific questions.

TheDon01 fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jul 31, 2016

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

Hey mr Alaskan was the halibut scientist an attractive half Asian lady with a shock of grey hair?
First name Cheryl?

Nope, white, brown hair, mid 20s maybe? Didn't catch her name.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Went out with the wife again last night, got a few fish. We were going after halibut just off of Admiralty Island, west of Juneau.
She caught a nice little halibut.

No halibut for me, I caught two big rear end sculpin, two pacific cod and two arrowtooth flounders that I didn't get any good pictures of.

Someone asked a couple pages ago how easy it was to clean and filet a halibut, I recorded a quick little video showing the process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=416KDc4tjWI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSqgO5mI1O4

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

Holy Moly that's a huge sculpin. Like I've caught smaller cabazeons. I admit I would eat it just for kicks.

I hear the razortoof flounders are flaccid garbage fish. True?
Arrowtooth, but yeah it's a mouth full of needles and razors. I loving hate em.

I haven't kept any. The two I caught today looked rough as hell, almost sickly. I was chatting with my favorite fish and game guy at the docks and he says they're not quite an invasive species (as they are native to the area) but they are reproducing a lot faster and spreading farther north. He was also saying that they compete heavily with other more desirable fish and that their meat turns to flavorless mush when you cook them.

quote:

Little effort has been directed to catching arrowtooth flounder due to the poor quality of their flesh. Upon landing, a proteolytic enzyme released from a myxosporean parasite causes softening of the flesh that further limits their marketability.

edit: Never kept a sculpin either, these ones are covered in dorsal and fin spines (are they toxic?) and I got no clue how to clean/cook them properly. I really avoid killing animals unless I can utilize a majority of them, I feel like it would be a waste and disrespectful if I'm just loving around attempting to do something with a gross flounder or a sculpin that appears to be 80% mouth and fins.

TheDon01 fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Aug 6, 2016

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

The battery is charged right?
If you feel confident that your connections are all correct your finder might just be broken. Swap it out for a new one, you don't want gear that is a pain in the rear end to work, especially once you dip everytning in salt water.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Well those are just adorable, how well do they keep in aquariums? I had a crawdad growing up for almost 2 years that I bought at an Asian market for like 50 cents.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Had a little action fishing this week.

Nice little cod

Sculpin of some sort? He didn't make it.

And a nice halibut to finish the day off. 35-40#? I need to buy a scale, my harbor doesn't have one.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Where you at? If it's been raining a lot in the hills/mtns near you your creeks are gonna be blown out and muddy.

Both sound fun as hell, for me if its 80 and humid I'd be spending the time in the water. I'm miserable at anything over 75 and moderate humidity.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Desert Bus posted:

As a someone who both fishes and keeps aquariums, Bluegill are massive bastards. Fun to keep, but they will destroy fish you'd think would be able to hold their own.

So like an oscar? I had a few albino oscars back when I had aquariums and they were total assholes, killed everything then the bigger one killed the smaller one.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Maybe fishing isn't the sport for you if you get that upset about learning something new.

Also lol @ anyone that said throwing net is easy.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Im down with hunting chat. Keep it up, fishin season is kinda over here until April/May.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

Salt water is the great destroyer of everything iron related.

RIP every 3 and 4 wheeler I've owned :(

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Pops caught a nice King in a derby today, he's in the top apparently. Will find out results in about 3 hours.

Edit: 2nd place! 24.85 lbs and 575$!! The top fish was 26 lbs.

TheDon01 fucked around with this message at 04:03 on May 21, 2017

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Just pulled out a beauty of a coho on the incomming tide.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Nice salmon! Where were you fishing, and what did you catch it on?

Homer, AK (Kachemak bay) on an orange/silver mepps #4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Awesome. I fish coastal Washington and getting a salmon from the shore is high on my list. I wish it was a humpy run year; my smoker needs some action.

I just noticed yesterday that snagging is now open at this spot and the limit is 6!

Got some big ol weighted trebbles and about to go try this incoming tide