Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Sweet new OP, nice work.

Had my first real fishing day of the spring, and it was pretty successful. In total about 3 Largemouths on Senkos, 2 Black Crappies both on crank baits (Which I didn't even know were in the lake), and a handful of Chain Pickerel going after whatever I was throwing. Landed one huge one, which is by far the biggest Pickerel I've caught, and probably rivals largest fish in general. Tried out wacky rigging instead of texas style for the first time, and holy poo poo, why didn't I try this earlier? It produced as much as 4 hours of texas rigs/crank baits in one hour alone.

However, this leads me to a question, what can I do in terms of leaders for freshwater fishing? The Chain Pickerel and their brutal teeth kept breaking off my hooks and absolutely destroying the plastic worms, which aren't exactly cheap. Would I be best off tying some heavier test line on to the end (I was using 8#) to protect the end from breaking? Or should I just be extra vigilant about cutting a foot or so off after each catch.

Heres a picture of the beast pickerel, next to the 5" senko it was caught on for size comparison.

Heres one of the Crappie looking puny by comparison, but I love the patterns on them. Theyre pretty strong fighters too for something the size of a sunfish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Another suggestion for a trash bag is an old empty bag plastic bait comes in. I always keep one in my tackle box for my own line as well as line that's laying around.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Holy poo poo, good read.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
An addition to that - really try to get senkos or yum dingers for brand- while any worm will work, those two really have the best action when they fall.

You can also try Texas rigging if the water is super weedy and you find yourself getting caught up in it.

causticBeet fucked around with this message at 14:25 on May 18, 2012

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

tesilential posted:

Dammit someone recommend me a $100 spinning reel!

Checked out the Penn Battle and SSG and even the Slammer (on clearance for $110) and TBH none felt nearly as smooth as even the $50 shimanos. They honestly felt kinda cheap, is this because they outsourced to China? The battle was the nicest but I could still feel the gears when I turned the handle.

I got a Shimano Sedona 4500 spinner for like 65$ last year and love it. I dont use it for saltwater but it is pretty big and solid as gently caress so I don't see why you couldn't. They may have one size bigger too.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Dik Hz posted:

Picking out tackle with your significant other is a great relationship builder!

Please tell this to my girlfriend next time I drag her along with me to Bass Pro.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

IM FROM THE FUTURE posted:

My wife loves picking out tackle. The problem is that her primary criteria for picking is "is it pink, or orange? and is it cute?" The rest, is just the details.

I have gotten a few pink rapalla's this way, which actually work awesome for bass in the spring.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
So what do you do with a gator on the chance you actually bring it in? Call animal control? It would suck to have to cut the line and leave a lure in its mouth.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Does anyone have experience surf casting around Wilmingon NC, specifically Carolina beach? Going to be down there on vacation the 19th and would love a heads up for what to expect/try. Would also love to know about some freshwater spots in the vicinity. Thanks in advance!

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Drunk Tomato posted:

I'm a brand-new fisher (literally went out on Wednesday for the first time ever). My friend loves fishing so he got me all set up with cheap gear, and took me out to a medium-sized local lake. I didn't catch anything, but neither did any of the other half dozen or so people fishing (except for a few tiny little fish).

Anyway, I have a stupid question. Would it be a waste of time to try fishing in my neighborhood retention pond area? It's pretty small, and I dunno if there would be any fish there...

I've never fished a retention pond but I've read that fish eggs can be transferred to them the legs/bodies of birds. It's certainly worth a shot.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

hypersober posted:

I love fishing, but sort of hate it at the same time. After years of not getting my permit, I'd gotten it the last 2 years. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I've never had a bite. I've asked for tips, talked to others etc.

I'm jealous of others who catch fishes. :smith:

What area are you fishing in geographically?

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Rythe posted:

Bass will hit a variety of lures from plastic worm, crank bait, spinner baits, rattlin traps and sometime just about anything you can toss at them depending on the fishes mood and weather conditions. I keep a variety of lures, including colors in my box just for bass, sometimes they can be very picky and you have to present different options. My go to baits are always a shad colored 6 ft crank bait and a classic Texas rigged plastic worm though.

As for walleye, I always did great in the upstate NY area on those using nothing more than the classic silver spoon. If you can find what depth the walleye are hanging out in, you can suspend a spoon at that depth and do pretty well on walleyes.

Could you elaborate on weather conditions vs. lure type? I've read about colors and finishes relative to sunlight/water conditions, but never the actual lures themselves. Totally anecdotal, but I feel like some of the days I've had best luck with catching bass on crank baits have been cloudier and choppier days in the early/mid spring.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

EnsignVix posted:

Anyone ever use cicadas as bait? Someone over in the cicada thread suggested it and BROOD II is invading my area soon. I figure the fish will get very used to them as a familiar food source.

Was wondering the same thing, hopefully we get some in southern MA.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
For Texas rigged stuff I like to cast it and let it sink then use the rod to jerk it up and forward slowly, without reeling. Once it's in a bit ill let it sit and reel in the slack on the line, repeating this process to bring it all the way in. Depending on the water temp/time of year/how the fish are hitting ill go faster or slower. I notice towards the end of the summer I have a lot of luck jerking it really hard, even up to the surface of the water. Lately (still sort of cool in New England) I've had luck going really slow and really letting it sit on the bottom.

I've found that with Texas rigs some brands of bait work way better than others. Baits like Senkos, their Walmart version Yamamotos, and Yum! "Dingers," have the perfect density and have a beautiful action/wiggle on the sink that you don't get out of the lighter worms like strikekings. They also cast much nicer due to the added weight.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
What do you guys look for when buying a rod? Any suggestions below 100$? I use spinning reels, normally from shore or a dock, usually lighter baits like plastics and small crank baits.

Also, how we'll does replacing treble hooks on cranks with an octopus hook work? I find the trebles are way overkill for bass and are generally a pain to remove if I don't have needle nose pliers around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
PETA takes an awful stance towards fishing, color me surprised