Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
So apparently I am an abysmal failure at catching catfish. I was in an area today (Lyons Ferry State Park in Washington) that's very heavy (visibly!) with channel cats. It's a breeding area for them.
I caught a smallmouth on my second cast with my baitcaster setup. Little while later I had something much bigger on that same pole. I had to adjust my drag mid-fight to reel him in. Unfortunately I had failed to properly set the hook so whatever it was got away.
Meanwhile I have my plunking pole in the water, pretty far out. It's rigged with a 1oz sliding weight above a swivel. The size 6/0 circle hook on a 1-ft leader is attached to that and was baited with cut bait made from herring and, anchovies and also chicken livers. Something ate the bait quite often without me ever seeing a strike indication.
I later put the baitcaster away and set up a second plunking pole.
Still, nothing in about 4 hours of fishing. Meanwhile, two older Russian guys in the same area kept pulling them in at rate of about 1 every 15 minutes. Nothing under 10lbs, either. It's too bad I am a socially awkward goon, otherwise I may have talked to them. :(

I'm open to any suggestions here.

Edit: I should have kept the smallie I caught and used it for cut bait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

LingcodKilla posted:

Just ground fish. Hopping for a 30lb+ lingcod.

Good luck. I was looking into trips out of Westport in a couple of weeks but it looks like I may not be going after all. I wanted the salmon/bottom combo though.
Westport is a fantastic place to buy fresh fish off the boat.

Edit: I caught this guy on a bottom trip out of La Push a couple years ago. Wasn't quite 30lbs, but close. I thought I had hooked a brick.

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jul 17, 2016

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

The Mandingo posted:

Damnit, I keep losing lures from being bad at tying knots. I tossed a Jitterbug to the moon last night after my trilene knot came undone.

What am I doing wrong? Thinking about switching to a slip knot.

I use the improved cinch on almost all my lures and hooks. I don't think I've had one come loose. Just need enough loops and pull it tight.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Eastern WA goon here. What I've seen people do locally:

1. 1-3 oz slip weight, circle hook, and whatever bait. Cut bait and chicken livers seem popular around me.
2. Slip bobber with circle hook and similar bait. You have to mess with the bobber depth until you get the bait a few inches off the bottom.

I've done both myself, unsuccessfully so far.

Here's a good video from the WA Dept of Fish & Wildlife about catfish. Check out their other videos, too - they're pretty great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewPWnGYG--U

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I'm pretty sure that's not originally for catfish found in North America.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I would also like to know about salmon fishing, but specifically about bankfishing for them in rivers of the Pacific NW (Columbia/Yakima/Snake). Anyone?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Nice! What weight was that halibut? I have a hard time telling with that flat shape and all.
I'm after fall chinook and fall/winter steelhead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

damug posted:

I need some tips on good freshwater fishing holes for bass or trout within an hour drive of Seattle. I am moving that way from Florida next week and want to be able to wet some line as soon as I can get an in state fishing license.

Which might be a while since the online sales system was hacked last week. (Actually it may be back up already, I am not sure)