Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I have been fishing for the last 20 years or so and I have collected a decent amount of knowledge from everything from freshwater, saltwater, brackish and techniques from gigging, spear, deep ocean and everything in between from my travels.

I have been huge into kayak fishing over the last 6 years and have experience worlds of fun on those little boats out and about on that water. I will gladly answer and inquires you have on fishing especially out of a kayak since the sport has exploded it seems, especially around here in North Texas. I will try to post some fishing reports now and than when I get a chance to hit the local lake this weekend to restock my freezer after last weekends fish fry.

Just a few photos from the last few years with a couple of nice catches.

Mahi Mahi, Guam

Yellow Fin Tuna, Guam

LMB North Texas

Dinner (Sand Bass) North Texas

View from my buddies kayak, sunrise of my local lake.

Kayaks out in force having a blast, chasing the Sand Bass for the grease

@WayneCampbell I have been eating fishing all over the US for a good part of my life and have not had a issue from it. All the lakes I have taken fish from have all been clean with no issues such as golden algae or any fish diseases. I would imagine your local game wardens should have the lake conditions and could inform you if the water is safe to harvest fish from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Not an Anthem posted:

I'm in Chicago. What do I need to catch crappie in the lake or river? I also have a salmon ticket.. what should I use to catch salmon? I haven't fished since I was a kid and don't have fishin' buds.

I have an old "berkeley safari" fishing pole with a shimano ss-ul BassOne reel, some 5 or 6 lb line and a bunch of random pretied hooks on short lengths with loops at the top that I don't remember what they're for. Some rubber bait too, different size.

Gear wise for crappie you can look at two options and Light Action rod in the 6-6'6 ft range with a reel (spinning or bait caster) of your choice that handles 4lb test line. Your second option is a jigging rod http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Navigation?storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&searchTerm=jigging+rod in the 6'6-8 ft range, both rods will catch crappie with easy if you can find them. The first rod is designed to cast out lures and retrieve them or by fishing with live bait on a bobber, the second one is meant for vertical jigging of structure in the water to get to the fish covering inside.

For bait selections when it comes to crappie there is a world of colors and combos you can use. The easiest thing I have found is a simple jig in the 1/8-1/4 oz range where you can attach a soft plastic body too that will mimic a shad or some type of bait fish. If you want to get a tad fancy and try a retrieval method try these road runner lures http://www.basspro.com/Crappie-Thunder-Road-Runner/product/37086/143650 out, they work amazing and I have caught everything from crappie, sand bass, LMB, SMB and catfish on them, you can also go with a slip bobber and live minnow (Google that set up, I do not use it a lot.) Do not go crazy on colors, from what I have learned over the years if the water is dark use dark colors, if the water is clear use light colors, that has held true for me for many years. My tackle selection is very tiny in my kayak and I do not carry a lot with me but I follow that above rule and have never had a problem catching fish.

Finding them is the hard part, right now is is the spawning season, water temp is approx 70 degs will trigger the spawn conditions. Fishing from shore or a boat look for the same thing, you want to find a nice rocky dam that provides a lot of cover for the fish. If you can not find that, look for underwater drop off, rocky points, ledges and buried trees, anything that can provide a safe place for fish to spawn. Make sure it is not a sandy bottom, from what I have seen catching crappie and talking to a lot of my buddies they do not like sandy/muddy bottoms to nest in. You can catch them after the spawn but that normally takes a way to get out on the water, look for deep ledges, drop off points, deep holes and deep cover, after the spawn I fish a bunch of old oil derricks that drop off to 30-40 ft and I am able to get post spawn crappie fairly easily using the gear and lures mentioned above.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Even when I take my kayaks out and about I am always picking up garbage in the middle of the lake. Always getting bottles, cans, styrofoam and assorted trash that goes into my boat for disposal later. On the plus side if you are all familiar with jug line I have been recentley finding a ton of old ones washed up on shore and with the drought last year, the lower lake levels are helping me find lines that are years old, that just got released from the lake bottom. I get the benefit of removing tons of old line, bottles and floats along with getting a ton of free hooks, swivels and really nice 3-5lb weights for my own lines. Nice to clean up a lake and get a "reward" of free gear and weights out of it.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

The wife wanted to take the kayaks out for a paddle around the local lake and that is always a wonderful thing for me since it means I get to go fishing more, was out on the lake for a decent 1 1/2 hrs and managed to get these yummies.

Not to bad a selection of Sand Bass, came away with 11 total and 9 of those where really nice 13+ inch keepers, came out to a total of 4 1/2 lbs of meat for some fish tacos next weekend.

I was practicing having out two troll lines at once and it worked pretty well, except for the two times I hooked two fish at once, trying to reel in one fish while holding my other rod in my pole holder with my feet so the fish didn't take it into the water (forgot one on my gear leashes today), all the while my wife is laughing her rear end off while I try to manage two fish at once. Good time on the lake, got to spend the day with my wife and fishing, can not beat that at all.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

kcaz posted:

I've been thinking of getting a kayak to do some fishing in the local marsh. Found this http://brunswick.craigslist.org/boa/2976146393.html on craigslist and wanted to get some opinions on the price and suitability of this craft. So, what do yo think guys?

Edit: Also what are some things to look for when buying a kayak?

I have been kayak fishing for some time now and have gotten very big into the sport, so I hope I can answer any question or concerns you have about the sport.

First off I would recommend staying away from the style kayak at all cost if you are looking to fish out of it. That style kayak is called a Sit-in-kayak (SINK), they have very limited weight capability, very little cargo room and are difficult to fish out of. The SINKs are more designed for a recreational paddler for day trips out on the lake, along rivers with white water rapids and environments along those lines. What you are looking for is a Sit-on-top kayak (SOT), they have a higher weight capability, more room for movement, more storage space, more places to install after market add-ons along with being able to stand in certain models to fish out of.

The first two things to considers IMO is what is your price point, since kayaks can range from $200-$2500 easily and second what environment are you going to be using it in the most, rivers, lakes, streams, ocean, etc? Once you can figure that out you want to look for a couple of basic things. Do you want a traditional paddle kayak or a newer pedal powered kayak to free your hands up for fishing more?

Than you want to look for things such as the length and width of the kayak for stability, look for the total weight capacity, storage room in the kayak and on top of it. Look for extra options like pole holders, built in tackle boxes, high back comfortable seats and the weight of the kayak if you are going to be loading it on your vehicle yourself.

I use a Hobie Outback which is a pedal powered kayak over the traditional paddle boats, it ran me about $1400 but I fell in love with it the first time I took it out. The boat is 12'1 long and 33 inch wides, it moves in the water easily, stable in rough weather and I can stand in it to fish if the water is calm enough. Other great brands of kayaks other than Hobie you can look into are Ocean, Wilderness, Native.

A really great resource you can use is here at http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5913465/1/How_to_Choose_the_BEST_Fishing , this is the Texas Fishing Forums Kayak section thread that was written by all of us in the area about how to pick the best kayak for your needs. It was written by a bunch of kayak anglers with years of experience with lots of information to pass on and tons of first hand experience to share with new kayakers. It is a great read, well worth the time to get a bunch of first hand information and some info on kayak brands.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I recently got a chance to paddle a Ride 135 with the seat in the high position, that was a very smooth boat to move, super balanced even with the fairly high. Casting from it was a breeze, lots of room, very stable, comfortable as hell and a kayak you can stand in fairly easily. If you all get a chance take one of the Rides out on the water, I am a Hobie guy but this is going to be my next boat here soon I am thinking.

Edit: oh yeah craigslist is your best friend ever, you will find boats that have never been used before for cheap with all the goodies needed.

Rythe fucked around with this message at 02:06 on May 9, 2012

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Some Other Guy posted:

The foam block setup (can get it for about $60 bucks) seems to be the best bet as long as I'm not traveling long stretches on I-95 or something. Follow-up question: are racks really one-time purchases? My '03 continental has many miles left in it but it does have over 100k miles. What if I got say, a Ford Focus as my next vehicle? Of course, if I had a kayak at that point I'd probably get a truck or something which I was considering anyway, but how universal are these racks? Given that my car is getting older it definitely doesn't seem like the best route to take.

For the most part they are one time purchases with one exception, I use the Yakima roof rack system too, you buy the racks initialy than the cheaper part is the clips that mount to your car, when you change cars you keep the racks and just change out the cheaper clips. The foam blocks work as long as you have two tie down in the middle to secure the kayak to the car along with a rear and forward tie downs to keep the kayak from coming up while driving. Since my kayak was $1600 or so the $200 investment on the racks is well worth it, I can travel to Dallas doing 80mph the entire way without worry or my kayak moving at all.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Dik Hz posted:

This right here is the best lesson any novice angler can learn. If you keep your ears open and your mouth shut, you will learn more in 2 sentences from an old coot than you will in weeks of research on the internet.

Yeah I would back this up a thousand times and than some, I have learned about some nice local gems, beaver dams hidden up river, honey holes and all types of buried cover from simply cleaning some fish at the state parks and listening to the old timers. Its amazing what they old timers know about the area they have been fishing for a lifetime, plus they always have great stories and are normally wonderful to chat with.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

sogekihei posted:

Gonna jump on with the rest of the kayak fishers and say it's awesome. Just bought a Crescent Xtreme Fisher 2 for bass fishing. My girlfriend and I have no problem with it and so far I've seen its the cheapest SOT that doesn't look like it came from wal mart. Can't say how it stacks up against other fishing kayaks but despite the fact that it is a little heavy, it suits my needs just fine. The pictures of it show a guy standing up in it and making it look easy. gently caress that guy. I tried and it's not easy.

From a safety stand point make sure you learn this in fairly shallow, calm water before you try it in deeper water. Also if you are new to the sport seriously take your kayak out to deep water (over your head), rock your boat side to side to find out where the tipping point is and flip your boat. This will let you know excatly when your boat will flip and give yourself some deepwater re-entry skills, this is something I did and made my wife do too. Don't forget to take any loose gear off the boat too :):

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

cyberbully posted:

Anyone else in the Central Texas area have places they like to go? I've fished in Canyon Lake for catfish once and caught nothing, also a little bit in parts of the San Marcos River. I also have a small polespear that I've taken out a few times and only gotten some plecos and a buffalo carp, anyone ever do spearfishing in this area?

Hey there Texas buddy, I am a more North Texas than Central Texas, but a good resource to find fellow anglers, fishing holes and trips is here at http://texasfishingforum.com this is a website that covers fishing all over Texas. TFF topics from every type of fish species we can catch in Texas, to kayak fishing and even some ocean fishing sections. I have meet a ton of buddies in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, have planned some great trips over the years and learned how to target certain species I was not familiar with when I moved to Texas.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Some Other Guy posted:

I have a question for you kayak fishers: do any of you have experience loading a kayak onto a car without racks? It doesn't seem like there are too many rack options for my car (2002 Lincoln Continental) -- I've found none, though, who knows what some shop somewhere could rig up. Any of you ever use a foam blocks/straps set up like this: http://maloneautoracks.com/deluxe-kayak-kit.php ?

If everything is done properly, how far can you travel and how fast can you go with this set up? I've heard a lot of people say a lot of different things. I'm also worried that there might not be a sturdy enough place that I can access on the frame my car for bow/stern tie downs. There are a few places down there by the bumper and fender, but it's hard to tell if they'll work until I'm trying the specific tie downs.

The car also has a sun roof. Man I'll be pissed if a kayak can't be loaded onto this car as safely as a Kia or something.

Check out the Yakima Roof Rack Systems, as far as I know they make kits that fit drat near everything. That is what I bought for my kia.

I mainly us a cooler that I have rigged with my pole holders and strap it down to the rear cargo area in my kayak. Half filled with ice it last all day in the sun and can hold 10-12 sand bass/crappie easily along with keep my lunch cold too. The stringer works great but I do a bit of trolling and that is like carrying a wind sock in the water, though they work great loaded with fish to keep u stationary easily.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Some Other Guy posted:

Well, two of the first places I checked were Yakima and Thule's websites and they didn't have anything. The store said they couldn't find any options in their catalogs either. Since my last post, I actually went and bought a kayak and settled on the foam blocks/straps set up with bow and stern tie downs as well. The kayak is 13.5 feet and 60 lbs and it doesn't move a bit, though, I would be cautious about going on the interstate. The good thing about this system is it's only about $50.

My car is somewhat unique in that it's the last Lincoln Continental they ever made and it didn't sale that well. I think rack manufacturers probably decided just not to bother. I noticed other cars, such as Trans Ams, didn't have any options either. You could probably get something done custom but then you're talking money.

Bought the Trident 13 Angler, by the way. It's an awesome kayak! First trip out just to tool around I caught some bass, so that blessed the boat. Then I got completely skunked yesterday on my first all day trip.

Nice kayak there, I really like those, and they make a great all around kayak. That sucks about the roof racks but with older model cars it makes sense. If you put two straps across your kayak going through your car and a bow/stern straps attached to the front/rear of the boats you should be able to handle high way speeds fairly easily. A few of my buddies do this with the foam block set up and I have not heard anything bad out of it. Enjoy your kayak, be safe and have a blast sliming that boat.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

tesilential posted:

No gear heads in the fishing thread!¿

Still looking for quality spinning reel recommendations for ~$50.

I have had a Shimano 2500 FI Symetry rated at 10lb test mounted on a nice Ugly Stick for the last 6 years. The reel cost about 30-40 dollars and I have used it from ponds, ocean, streams and rivers along with constant use out of my kayak. Reliable reel, strong, nice drag, cast really well and with basic maintenance the reel is still going strong after 6 years or so. Shimano makes some really nice quailty reels for a good price, I would glady buy another if I was not looking at converting my remaining spinning reels to baitcasters.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

About a week ago I discovered a crack in the seat mounts in the seat pan on my Hobie Outback kayak, so needless to say I was kinda of pissed and depressed my kayak might be scraped or out of commission for some time. I got a hold of my local kayak shop, that I did not buy my Outback from and told them what happened. I sent them some pictures so they could help me file a warranty claim for the crack. The kayak is 5 years old and 3 years out of warranty but Hobie got a hold of me and said it was a error on their part and must have been a weak point on my boat so they are sending me a brand new kayak for the cost of shipping ($87). Not to advertise the company or anything but for those anglers looking at getting into fishing out of a kayak, take a look at Hobie brand boats they stand behind their products and have pretty much secured my next purchase for myself a long with a kayak for my little girl in a few years.

On the plus side I get to slime a brand new kayak for the first time, which is always fun as hell and I get to remount my camera mounts and fish finder on them to a bit better locations. So over all this is going to turn out for the best and end with a good story. The only down side is I am stuck on land for the next 2 weeks or so but with my wife close to being in labor that is a good thing.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

When I bought my bait caster I took me a good two hours straight to even get a accurate cast that did not back lash on me. I used a heavy 2-3 oz egg weight sinker instead of a lure so I could practice in my back yard casting the pole. Eventually I was able to adjust the weight to learn how to cast different weights along with learning how to adjust the spool so I had the proper adjustments on it. After all that I was able to set up some targets in my yard to get my accuracy dialed in a bit more before I even attempted to hit the water. I actually went on YouTube and watched a few videos on how to cast a rod and a few good how videos on how to set your reel up for different lure weights.

Now that I have learned how to use one really well, I am in the process of selling my other two spinning rods and replacing them with bait casters as I get the money. I love the reel and since most of my fishing is done out of my kayak the compact nature of the reel is wonderful.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Achmed Jones posted:

Don't get rid of all your spinners, that's a horrible idea. Different reels have different strengths, baitcast isn't strictly superior to spinners.

Yeah I will probably keep my Shimano reel mounted on my Ugly Stick for cat fishing in the winter. I do like spinner but for my fishing, mainly kayaking, I think bait caster are far superior to spinning reels for what I need out of my equipment. Like you said though each reel has its strength and weakness and for what I need bait caster meets all the requirements minus costing a bit more than a spinning reel.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Some Other Guy posted:

Got skunked for the first time on my kayak today. I was fishing a crummy over-fished lake so I didn't expect much. I think I need to get a fish finder. At the very least I need to get a read on underwater structure and breaks in depth. Any recommendations? My kayak has a scupper molded for a transducer plus a waterproof area for the battery, so that opens up my options. Still, I'd like to keep it below $200 if possible. Note that I've been going for catfish for the most part lately.

Wow what kayak do you have that has all those nice little additions? I use the Eagle Cuda 300 I think, it cost about $75 and it shows depth, temp, decent structures and drop offs all things needed for catfishing. I know people that use super expensive side scan sonar and all the extra goodies but I went cheap and the Eagle fits my needs just fine even being so cheap.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

My girlfriend absolutely loves fishing, but said she needs a new tackle box. Any suggestions on a decent one or what to put in it it? I don't want to give her an empty box as a present. She generally just fishes for bass and pike by her dad's house. We are in Michigan if that matters at all. I've never really fished, but I got dragged out yesterday. Now I plan on picking up a combo deal at Gander Mountain or Bass Pro when I get a chance. It was a lot of fun, though her dad did tie my hook on and all that and she baited my hooks for me.

If I remember right from fishing for bass/pike in upstate New York I always remembered catching them on crank baits of various depth and sizes. A cheap alternative to that is a basic spoon lure of various weights, I have caught so many fish of different species just suspending a spoon at a depth and tearing up fish with it.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Some Other Guy posted:

It's the Trident 13 Angler by Ocean Kayak. Got it on sale and I'm pretty blown away buy it. Can't say enough good things about it!

I looked into those Cuda 300s and it seems like they're a little hard to find. I was thinking of maybe getting a Hummingbird or the Lowrance X-4 Sonar which is just over a $100 and looks just right.

Also, managed to put in this afternoon for about 2 hours of fishing. The cats have slowed down big time right now but I managed to get two eaters (2-3 lb channel cats) drifting the dam before a storm cloud chased me away. Not bad for the middle of the day in June.

That is a nice boat there, I have had a chance to paddle it a few times and I really enjoyed it. The Cuda 300 is not to bad of a boat, I think the Trident is a lot nice, if you ever get a chance to paddle a Ride 135 those things are smooth, comfortable and really nice.

The Lowrance X-4 is a pretty good unit, a few of my buddies use it and I have not heard any complaints at all from them. Since it seems like your are into cat fishing, so having a fish finder will increase your fish cat rate pretty good, you will be able to find those all important drop offs and hidden areas catfish low to hide in.

I enjoy drifting for cats a lot but I seem to only do it in the winter time around my area, to many other fish to find in summer time to target them kitty kats. Post some pictures if you buy the fish finder and how you plan/mount it.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

If you are going to fillet your own fish one of the best things you can get other than a good knife is a really nice find grain wet stone to keep that blade sharp. I have been using the same knife for four+ years now and the blade is still razor sharp, every now and than I just run it across my stone and I am good to go for another batch of fish.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

IM FROM THE FUTURE posted:

These knives are just amazing for the money.

http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-47513-6-Inch-Boning-Fibrox/dp/B000QCNJ3C/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1340806116&sr=8-8&keywords=fibrox

Also, for small fish, get a filet glove that protects your hands. If you dont you WILL cut yourself badly eventually.

That is a nice looking knife with good reviews, might have to pick that up and give it a try. I looked around for a good kevlar glove that fit snug and wasn't loose and I had trouble finding one. Anybody have a recomendation on a glove? I fish a lot and clean a bit of fish every week and haven't cut my self in years but I don't want to test my luck with how sharp my knives are.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

ilc23 posted:

I want to go boating Wednesday. I have gone fishing at the national parks a couple time near here but I can't manage to catch anything. I think those areas are overfished. That's why I want to take a boat and go somewhere that isn't overfished but boat rentals are so drat expensive.

Might be a good time to give kayak fishing a try. Google up your area and see if there are any local kayak fishing forums or anglers in the area, I know in the Dallas/Fort Worth area of Texas if anybody post on the forums that they want to give kayak fishing a shot we all are more than happy to lend them a extra kayak and take them out on the water with us for the day.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

me your dad posted:

I'm going to be in the Outer Banks (Hatteras) in North Carolina in August, and I'd like to get in some surf fishing.

I have an old Penn 10 reel I plan on bringing, and I'll be picking up an inexpensive rod.

I grew up freshwater fishing, but I've never been surf fishing. Can anyone give me (or point me to) some good tips on essential tackle, baits, and rigging?

I am more familiar with surf fishing off of the coast of Florida, what kind of fish are you going to be targeting out in your area?

I used squid, shrimp and live mullet most of the time while I was fishing on the coat for Whiting, Croakers and anything else that swims out there. I ran a pretty simple rig of a 2-4 oz pyramid or egg sinker, depending on current, with a 2ft steel leader underneath the sinkers with a hook (size various on fish species)bait with the above mentioned baits. I always found the best of time o fish was always with the incoming tide, as it was going towards high tides, but that is just based on my personal experience.

Surf fishing is a lot of fun, you really do not need a ton of money worth of gear or any fancy rigs, plus the amount and type of fish you can catch off of shore is pretty dam amazing.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

me your dad posted:

I don't know what kind of fish I'll be after. I guess I'll leave the hooks out of the equation until I get there, and talk to a local shop to see what's being caught.

So the rigging will leave a sinker on the bed, with bait floating a couple feet overhead? That's easy enough.

How does one read the surf?

Talking to a local shop or anglers is the best way to approach a new area, they will help you target fish specfic to that area along with any time of rigs or gear you might need along with bait. I do this anytime I travel away from my local lakes, always head to the fish cleaning station to chat up anybody there for some advice.

Not sure what you mean by reading the surf. Do you mean the tides or the actual waves as they come into shore?

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Hughmoris posted:

I'm looking at trying my hand at kayak fishing. Any particular yaks you can recommend for someone about 6'4 and 280lbs?

Everything Some Other Guy posted is right on, your best bet is to find a local shop that does demo days and test out as many kayaks as you can get into. Maybe even do some google searching for a local club or fellow kayak anglers, a lot of guys in my area will invite new guys out to try out our spare boats, I do this when ever I can.

The ride 135 is a great kayak, Jackson and Wilderness kayaks are all outstanding brands and great to test out. I prefer Hobie for fishing out of, I just got a 2012 Outback and I love the kayak a ton, one of my favorite to fish out of too date.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Drunk Tomato posted:

I'm a brand-new fisher (literally went out on Wednesday for the first time ever). My friend loves fishing so he got me all set up with cheap gear, and took me out to a medium-sized local lake. I didn't catch anything, but neither did any of the other half dozen or so people fishing (except for a few tiny little fish).

Anyway, I have a stupid question. Would it be a waste of time to try fishing in my neighborhood retention pond area? It's pretty small, and I dunno if there would be any fish there...

Always give those a shot, a few little ponds/canals down here in the Dallas area have produced some monster bass from time to time. My buddies and me always hit those up when we are going out in the kayaks if we happen to see one while we are traveling from lake to lake.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

fknlo posted:

I'm thinking about getting into kayak fishing(hard enough that it's influencing the choice of my next car...) and was wondering if the ascend stuff from Bass Pro would be decent to get started with? I've wanted to get back into fishing for some time but boats are expensive, I live in an apartment, don't have a tow vehicle etc... but realized recently that getting a kayak would be perfect for my needs.

The Ascend kayaks IMO are neither good or bad, they will get you on the water in a kayak fishing. Most people I know that have one end up selling it really fast and upgrading to a better kayak platform to fish out of. How much of a budget are you looking at? Might be able to point you in a good direction brand wise, can even nab great brands on craigslist if you get some what lucky.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

fknlo posted:

If I wait till next year, price won't be much of an issue. I'm considering buying something cheap this year and then selling it and getting something better next year. The $500 for the 12' Ascend is about the most I'd want to spend right now. There isn't poo poo on craigslist as I don't think there's much a kayak scene here in Kansas City. I'm probably just better off waiting until spring and doing it right. I'd need a roof rack and all that jazz right off the bat which would drive the cost up too.

Yeah the kayak scene is really not that great in your area unless you head down to the Ozarks than it gets a lot better. That makes hunting craigslist a tad harder if there are not many kayakers in the area. You can get a used Native, Wilderness, Ride brand kayak for $500 used fairly easily, those are all solid brands and I bet you can even find one in pretty good shape. A good idea is to find a local kayak dealer that does demo days and get out there and paddle as many boats as you can, test them out for manuverability, stability, room and comfort.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I lost my job this summer, and while I'm hunting, I have a lot of free time. I live within walking distance of a fishing pier, and thought I might try my hand at it. It's a tributary to the James River in VA, which is in turn a tributary to the Cheasapeake Bay. Fish caught there seem to be croaker, cats, the occasional eel. Crabbing's not permitted but the last time I was there this 7 year old kid was pulling them in on a line like nobody's business.

I'm having a little trouble parsing whether I need a SW license, or if a FW will do, according to this site:

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/fishing/regulations/tidalwaters.asp

I'm downstream from the line for James River, but not on the river itself, and the fish aren't SW.

Sorry if this is a stupid newbie question. I don't know a soul who fishes, and am kinda afraid to ask questions in person because I'm a gal (no, I don't want to buy sparkly pink lures). I just read the entire thread, and it's been very helpful!

When it comes to a question of what license do I need in a certain area, or if it is the least bit hazy call your nearest game warden. You can tell theme exactly where you are, tell them your situation and they will give you all the info you need to stay legal and not have to doubt any type of second hand information that could get you into a lot of trouble or big ticket fines.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Yeah, I figured I'd give 'em a call anyways; thanks for the reply.

Stupid newbie question #2: fishing in fresh/brackish tributaries like that, I can get away with a cheap FW pole, right? Looking at a sporting goods website (Dick's), it seems like the big difference in FW vs. SW is just rod size... ?

I just hoofed up the street to a consignment/thrift store to see what they had in the way of used rod & reel gear. Prices ranged from $15 to $45, but honestly, I really had no idea of what I was looking for. If I'm not sure that I'm even going to get into this, should I just get a cheap $30 set-up new from Dick's?

When I used to fish brackish waters in Jacksonville, Florida the pole I brought depended on the type of fish I was going after, If you are just going after the basic Croaker, Whiteing and fish of that size a decent run of the mil 6'6 -7ft fishing pole was all I ever used, I did have a bigger surf rod with me in case I wanted to try and target bigger fish with bigger baits. Just remember due to the salty nature of the water you need to clean your reel after each trip and try to keep it oiled and in good repair. That water will do a number on your equipment after a while if you do not keep your stuff cleaned.

If you are hesitant to spend any money on gear, find a friend that is into the sport and see if they will let you borrow any gear they have so you can give it a test run. All it will cost you is the price of what ever bait you are using and some sun screen. If not a thrift store if a good place to start, as long as the equipment is in pretty good shape, you can easily get it for a fairly cheap price and not have to commit to much to it financially.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Floating Fish posted:

Kayak fishing is awesome

Yes it is!

If there are any Dallas/FT.Worth area kayakers or anglers thinking about kayaking we are throwing our bi-annual North Texas Kayaking get together at Twin Covers park on Lake Grapevine this Saturday the 29th at 8am.

It is pretty much a meet and greet for all the area kayakers to get together to eat food, tell stories, hit the water together, win some nice prizes and spend the day with a ton of kayakers. It is a great place to come visit if you are interested in the sport at all, there will be a easy 60+ kayaks out there and most of us will gladly let you paddle ours to get a feel for it and get addicted to the sport.

Here is a link to all the information for the get together if anybody is interested. http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/7863319/Official_North_Texas_GTG_Threa#Post7863319

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Plastic worms, road runner and cheap lures like that are my favorites. They catch fish all day, easy to use and if you loose one who cares, it is like 60 cents worth of lure. I have a box full of cheap stuff like that I use way more than anything else.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Boneitis posted:

Would this be an ok place to ask for a crab identification? I have no idea where else to turn, so am going to ask it here. There's a place on the Georgia Coast Line that I go to just about every chance I can. It's in a deep water creek, about forty yards across, and about twenty feet deep at mid-tide with an eight foot tide. It's in the middle of the marsh, about 100 yards from land. The crab traps that we set out we throw towards the center, and usually catch only Atlantic blue crabs with an occasional stone crab.
Usually, we catch around twenty good size blue crab within the first three or four days along with a couple of stone crab. Well, this year we set out the crab traps for around five days. For the first time ever, we managed to catch no blue crabs, but five stone crabs. Strangely, we found another crab that I had never seen before. It was an olive coloring with black tipped claws, with a lateral spine not as prominent as a blue crab, but still having the deep anterolateral teeth. I didn't see the underside, but I got a lovely phone picture.

When it comes to identifing species of animals my first response is to call the wardens in your area, they will know within 100% accuracy what species you caught, legality of catch and if you can keep it. That quick call/trip can save you a lot of hassle and money if you caught something illegal.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Some Other Guy posted:

Any tips for cold weather clothes for kayak fishing? I did some looking and holy crap some of these clothes are expensive. Budget is an issue.

Also, I wonder if there are any other serious catmen around here? I've been checking this site out regularly for the past year: http://www.catfish1.com/forums/forum.php

I am not a super serious catfishing angler but with winter near I turn into a decent catman in my kayak, Ill help where I can.

When it comes to clothing for winter kayaking you want layers and layer since you will get warm from paddling and you want clothing you can move in. I use a nice set of 2mm neoprene breathable waders as my base for pants and a gortex/waterproof jacket up top. Underneath I normally wear a pair of thinsulated upper and lower thermals and a nice pair of warm socks. I have a nice hat that has a pull out nose and throat protector I got at Academy for cheap along with a pair of decent thin gloves for warmth/flexability.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

EnsignVix posted:

Hopefully this post revitalizes a great thread, perhaps with ice-fishing goodness now that Winter is coming on. Any veteran icefishers out there? I may give a go of it for my first time this year.

Unrelated to that... I'm pretty sure this is a horrible idea (and possibly illegal) and kind of just want confirmation of that fact. How bad would it be to slowly stock say, one lake that is a few miles away from another lake, by catching in one and releasing in the other? Suppose all fish caught could legally be kept, and that they could be safely and quickly transported. I'm not sure how different the water is but would be more than willing to take pH readings or whatever is needed to make sure the fish would be okay in there.

I'm sure some people will say I couldn't possibly make a large enough difference to make this worth it at all but the target lake is really small, and I fish a lot so I think I could successfully stock it over time.

Why? I found this very small lake and am pretty sure not many people know about it. I was interested in getting it super stocked up over time with a variety of species so I have my go to spot when I want to take the nephews somewhere for guaranteed action. I get regular catches at the big lake and would be transporting them in large minnow buckets.

I would be worried if it is private or federal land the lake is on. I would say when in doubt ask the local game wardens about the legal issues on that, there could be a big penatly for introducing fish species to a lake and I would rather ask first from the law before doing anything that could get you into trouble.

I will be posting my catfish trips here soon, with the temperature in the lower 70s in south TX and the water temp colder I can swap to catfishing and stock the ole freezer for the spring fish fry.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

The weather in north TX has been so bad the last few months, haven't had my kayak out on the water since Oct I think. I can handle the cold weather, the cold water and all of that, it is the 25+ mph winds that suck and make it so unsafe to go out.

I am going trough fishing withdrawals I think, at the least I need to get my kayak out on the water soon. Anybody else been stuck indoors lately or has there been a few good fishing trips this year?

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

fknlo posted:

Well, tax return is in the bank, roof rack is here, and I just got a raise! Getting pretty close to kayak ordering time! I think I'm gonna go with the Jackson Cuda 12. They've made some pretty nice additions to all the 2013 models. I just hope it fits into what passes as the big elevator in my building...

Nice kayak there, pretty good one to paddle and good amount of room for add ons and additional goodies. I can not remember but does that kayak come with a rudder add-on at all? If so I would highly recommend getting one, a rudder makes for a much more enjoyable fishing experience.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

fknlo posted:

It's an option for a couple hundred extra bucks. Can something like that be added later or is it best to just get it from the factory?

It is a doable on your own if you have some basic mechanical skills, you have to install the controls, the rudder and run all the cables though, would take a few hours and drilling into your kayak. Or you can bring it to a local kayak shop and have them do it.

After fishing with and with out a rudder on kayaks, I will never use a boat without a rudder, makes it a lot easier to keep on line when fishing a shore line without having to correct all the time with a paddle. A rudder has gotten me spoiled over time but I am ok with that.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

tesilential posted:

Reel men go wherever the wind takes them.

<desperately tries to develop rudder for paddle board>

lol guess I need to find a skirt to go with my board shorts then :). Do you fish off a paddle board? If so that is pretty bad rear end and have never seen that before, would be kind of neat if that was possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

fknlo posted:

There are only 7 colors, why can't I figure out which one I want?

When in doubt, go with a nice high visibility color (unless you plan on hunting out of it), that way boats at least have a slightly better chance of seeing you when you are on big lakes. Safety is always a concern on kayaks and a good, bright color boat is a good start to that, then again this is coming from a guy that has a olive green color kayak, but I do hunt out of mine though.