Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I live near Lake Meredith in the Texas panhandle. The lake has basically gone dry for several years, but over the past two years the lake has finally risen enough to be usable. They've only stocked feeder fish this year, with plans to stock game fish next year, both fingerlings and some full-size fish, but I'm having a field day taking my nephews out to the lake and catching whatever is left in the lake - mostly carp and perch, and a few small largemouth. Hopefully next year we'll be able to catch crappie and walleye out of the lake again.

The two little towns on the lake - Fritch and Sanford - used to have a ton of stuff like boat rentals, bait shops, marinas, etc. All that went away when the lake dried up. One guy has reopened one of the bait shops, and I absolutely adore his little store and his knowledge of lure fishing. I've spend hundreds of dollars there on tackle so far this summer. But he's having a hard time of things, because the crowds haven't returned to the lake yet. I seriously want to see him stay in business. He keeps plenty of bait on hand, and he's got beer and ice, and a ton of tackle at reasonable prices.

So my question, what do you want to see in a successful bait shop selling to both serious fishers and the casual boat-and-beach crowd? I've been a part of management for a convenience store, so I've got a good idea of what the general consumer wants in a small store, but I've never worked in a store near a lake. What else could he sell that would help him stay in business and make money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I put aside some cash to buy myself the Christmas present I really want, a new rod, but it looks like no one makes the combo of features I want anymore. 8' fiberglass medium-action spincast with a full-length cork grip. Is there a manufacturer that still makes fiberglass spincast rods of any type?

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Brief anecdote: I took my 4 year old cousin fishing today at the local stormwater retention/sewage overflow pond. Surprisingly not a terrible place (sewage hasn't overflowed in the past two decades), has a fishing dock, someone at some point stocked the pond with perch and mudcats, none of which grow over 6" or so - perfect for a little kid to catch his first fish. And he did, hooked a little 6" mudcat after ten minutes or so. I showed him how to hold it by the lip and unhook it, he held it up, his Nana took a picture of him holding it proudly, good times. Then his mom decided to throw it back, so she just grabbed it like it was a rock or something. And then dropped it when it decided it had had enough and spined her. Along with the car keys, both right over the side of the dock. So I got to go feeling around in the mud with my toes, with water up to my neck, wishing I had worn shorts instead of heavy work jeans.

At least we got the keys back. And he was still thrilled with his first fish. And hopefully I didn't catch a staph infection or anything.