Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
This eldritch leviathan of a carp has moved into the stretch of the river I fish in and has been chilling there for the better part of a week.

Photo doesn't do it justice, the fish is huge and looks ancient.

I've never targeted carp before so I'm wondering what type of lure/bait should I use and if this guy can be heavy enough that I should bring out the salt water rod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Rythe posted:

I know this is not "fishing" per say but has anybody ever done magnet fishing for the hell of it and to see what you can drag up? I saw a neat youtube video where a guy took a 90lb strength magnet, attached it with a rope and tossed it around the local boat ramp and pulled up all kind of knives and tools that he was later able to salvage.

I am super curious if I took the same magnet and dragged it back and forth around a popular fishing shore line the things I could potential find, would be a neat to attempt when I am on the kayaks with my family and not doing anything serious.

I lost my favorite lure to a small mouth, can you come to my spot? You can keep the fish if it is still attached.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
I'm wondering if anyone knows the specific taxonomy of this type of fish, I figure it is some type of river herring or shiner.

Schools of these guys have moved into the river, I can now catch them just by dragging the hook through the water and snagging on their fins or body. The river is low and in some shallow places you can't even see the bottom as their schools are so thick.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

WTF BEES posted:

That my friend is what we here in VA at least call a Fall Fish, but is actually a large variety of chub. Some people call them "Rapidan River Trout" in the lower sections of the Rapidan because they can be caught/fished for in much the same way. They can also get pretty drat big and put up a nice fight.

How do they taste?