Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Went out surf fishing today and got about 25 whiting, 10 keepers, along with a few bonnet head sharks and lady fish. Used #1 circle hook pompano rigs, 4 oz lead, cut fresh dead shrimp up top and artificial clam strips (fish gum I call it) on the bottom. These guys will be fish tacos soon. Whiting is a great eating fish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Caught two of them, both about 18 inches. One threw the hook right at the end (they're jumpers). Definitely lady fish, they're fairly common surf fish. They do fight really well but these were outgunned with heavy surf gear. I've heard they can be eaten but I don't. Are you thinking of bone fish?

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Hoping these storms push some pompano closer to shore. I haven't caught one since last fall. Redfish too, I hate jetty fishing because the tackle loss is too expensive but they do come into the surf sometimes and they're super fun to catch and delicious.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

prom candy posted:

Holy poo poo tying knots with 6lb mono is so hard!

Fly leader tippets for brook trout are like gossamer. I have no idea how I used to be so adept at tying on flies. Oh yeah... Youth.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Just bought two new cheap Shimanos for my surf rigs and a pound of fresh dead shrimp. Gonna fish the Florence effects tomorrow. Still think it's too warm for pompano though.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Will do. All my surfer friends have been taking days off work and poo poo to go out. Might have to really plus up on the weight. Can usually get away with four ounces of lead.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Kinda thought we'd see some churn and clouds down here from Florence. Nope. Flattest i ever seen this beach. Since the waves sucked the fishing was pretty garbage. Got three keeper whiting. Probably caught 30 lovely catfish and half a dozen bonnet heads. My son landed the world's smallest pompano, which was odd with this hot water. Did hang out with a cool crab and found a few nice shark teeth.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Lol. Nice.

Here's some of the shark teeth we found

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
From what you described, if it's loaded with crustaceans and crabs maybe try some clam strips to match the snails in color? Or throw a fiddler out there. Where I'm at there's no better bait for sheepshead. Match the hatch so to speak.

E. Just saw the bait fishing part because I'm a bad reader. Try a bucktail with a small piece of bait on the hook? Smash up a snail.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Suspect Bucket posted:

Welp, fixed my own problem, 1/4 oz jig head bucktail with a white artificial netted me a nice sea trout and redfish. Gotta go buy more of those

Noice.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I have good luck with spinners and a power bait mullet on the reds. Flounder love them too.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Go to fly for catching drat near anything is a wooly bugger in a variety of sizes and colors. Can be fished dry or wet and unless you're targeting glass smooth limestone creeks with trout that heard you coming 300 yards ago it's a perfectly good trout fly. Source: I was a fly fishing guide in VA, MD, PA for a few years.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Went to the beach again yesterday.

That speck is my son fishing the edge of a big sandbar. I was fishing a rip that was cutting through the bar. The mullet are running right now so we cast netted a few, but ended up just going with fresh dead shrimp and artificial clam strips (orange)

Here's the haul. Whiting and one keeper pompano.

We caught a lot more smaller fish and some little sharks. Highlight of the day was this Jack Crevaille. He came through the trough and hit the rod like a freight train. Thankfully I had the drag set light. Took a pic and put him back.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

LingcodKilla posted:

Your whiting must be related to west coast croaker/kingfish. We view them as trash fish out here and they are very wormy. Nice to see they have a better reputation on the east coast because they are nothing if not plentiful in CA.

Yeah, they're an excellent table fish. Mild, firm white meat. Perfect for tacos. It was a nice surprise coming from SoCal and the gross croakers. In fact my biggest annoyance fishing in SD was the need for a boat (or kayak) to get at anything worth eating like halibut, yellowtail and rockfish.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I think some bait fish are more delicate than others. It was either dines or anchovies from the bait barge in San Diego that would be fine in a live well but die in minutes in a bubble bucket.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

ROFLburger posted:

My spirit is broken. I can not catch a fish.

What's going on?

I'll hit the surf again this weekend since it's so drat productive right now and the pompano are coming in. I consider pomps one of the best tasting fish in the world and they make excellent sushi. Plan to do a charter this fall for some grouper or maybe mahi and hit the jetties more frequently to get back into reds and flounder. It's barely cooling off here, but it is starting.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

LingcodKilla posted:

I’m gonna put more effort into sand dabs since the drat winter crab season got cancelled for area 10 for a second year in a row.

Do you guys have ghost shrimp up there for bait?

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Down in SD we could pump them up in the mudflats and get a out 50 in an hour or so. It was definitely fish candy. Just wondered if you had the same thing.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

LingcodKilla posted:

Yeah I need to learn how to pump them. We got mudflats.

Get a cheap hand held bilge pump, ditch the hose, put it over a hole in the mud, slurp it up and push it back out on the ground. If you're lucky a shrimp will be there. Don't pump it all the way through.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Stalizard posted:

Hey you guys I started fly fishing and it was fuckin awesome, hooked up on a couple of tiny trout and brought em in by hand and now fly fishing is all I ever want to do for the rest of my life

Got the first one on an elk hair caddis that was wet enough to sink a little, got the second one on a prince nymph with no strike indicator and a lot of beginner's luck

The best part is you get to go out into the woods by like a rustic bridge and you have an excuse to be in the prettiest place you've ever been for a few hours

One of us. One of us. Start tying flies and let any ocd tendencies you have flourish in your search of perfection. Then get insulted when they go after a ratty lump of threads instead of your lovingly crafted perfect hatch matching mayfly. Stupid trout.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Today's surf fishing was kind of a bust. Only took home one keeper whiting but we were catching blue fish and jacks all day. Don't get me wrong, they are super fun fish to fight but I am going for table fare. I figure with those guys around slaughtering mullets the whiting and pompano went somewhere else. Oh well, next weekend I hope.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Not sure where that thread is but here's a blue fish.

It's representative of what we were catching. Some were bigger and some we're smaller. They have razor sharp teeth that can not a finger tip off pretty easily.

Here's one of the couple of Jack Crevaille.

These guys are prime fighters and an excellent sport fish, but again, not what we wanted.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

LingcodKilla posted:

Bluefish are the most generic looking fish ever. Still, would love to catch a few.

Totally. The only thing is they're aggro as gently caress, slaughter whatever they can and get pretty big.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I forgot, toward the end of the day something hit the rod and bent it to the reel pulling the hook clean through the mono. I set the drag pretty light and it happened in an instant. It was either really big blue or a shark, likely a black tip. Again, it all kind of explains why the fish I was after fled the area.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Fly fish is just another fun way to catch fish. It's a whole new set of skills and like any sport hobby it's reel (:)) easy to spend a lot of money on it.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I don't really drink much anymore but I'd be down for some micro tackle and perch.

Someone mentioned fishing YouTube guys earlier, do you guys like Deer Meat For Dinner? He's super cheeseball sometimes in a god loving Florida kind of way but gently caress he does some good videos and he's one hell of fisherman/hunter. I'm a sucker for catch clean and cook vids. His cooking isn't brilliant but everything else is.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Those vids got me a lot more into working my fillet/butcher skills. Hope I get a deer this year!

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Good work on the surf today. Got a solid family dinner for later this week.

Couple of cool things happened. The mullet run is in full force. Lots of black tip sharks were chasing the pods and doing some wicked jumps. Of course when they came through all the other fish would split and it'd be a half hour lull. Caught a huge fish that was a good fifteen minute fight and when I got it to the beach it turned out to be a massive ray. Then the line snapped. My son caught the biggest blue fish I've seen here so far. I didn't get a pic, but here's what it did to the hook.

That wasnt a circle hook originally.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Fished a new spot at an inland waterway. The pompano are finally here in numbers as the water has cooled into the mid to low seventies. Caught several over the weekend. Unfortunately they were all too small. Did end up with whiting and a small snapper though. Also untold numbers of blues, catfish, rays, etc.

Enjoyed the new spot but it has a hell of a current. Then I realized it's the spot where father and young son died a few weeks ago. The boy fell in, dad tried to save him and both were carried out to sea. :(

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

holy poo poo, gently caress catching American Eels. goddamn slippery fucks sweat jizz.

Hate those fuckers. Carry a big towel to hold them.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Three day weekend coming up and it's going to be cool out. Plan on one day of fishing at the new spot. This time I'll rig up two lines for static pompano fishing and go with a spinner with a powerbait mullet for the third line. Looking to cast for some flounder or reds if they're around. Could really go for some flounder fillets.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Welp. Crappy onshore breeze totally washed out fishing today. Even with 8 ounces of lead the current was sweeping everything on to the beach. Went to an inlet and the only thing biting were crappy pinfish. Ill possibly go out tomorrow if I can convince the wife.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Snuck an hour in yesterday and got a few nice spotted sea trout in the 16-19" range we'll have for dinner tonight. Keeper size pompano keep evading me.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
It's a firm white fish. They hold up well for broiling or pan cooking.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
So not like real trout at all in color

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Does anyone know of a site that has water turbidity levels? I'm beginning to think that's what's keeping me off the pompano. Every time I get a chance to go after them I end up with washed out water.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Even though the pomps are still off for us we're catching lots of good fish. Caught a very nice 21" black drum with some really stocky shoulders. Fought like a big ray, which I though it was when bringing him in. Big blues are are out fuckin up the tackle too. Hook benders.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
If your near Morgantown there's all sorts of catfish in the mon. No poo poo hotdog chunks are great bait. Throw enough weight to get it to the bottom. If you're lucky you may catch a huge snapping turtle too!

Otherwise, the Cheet and Little Sandy have good bass fishing.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Well I haven't been there in years and years but we used to go cat fishing at the mouth of Decker's Creek. It's probably all built up by now. It's the simplest fishing. Just a hook and a split shot. Put a chunk of hot dog on the hook and toss it into the river. I'd never eat anything out of there though.

For more fun get a few bass lures like a bucktail or a spinner and drive over Cooper's rock to Preston county and fish the cheat narrows. It's all boulder hopping and fishing pools. You'll get a lot of experience figuring out where bass lie in the currents.

That experience can transfer to trout fishing small streams when you're ready. You'll have to drive for trout streams though. The Carlisle PA area has somw world class trout ones due to the limestone beds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
For gear that set up is more than capable. I have thousands of dollars in fly gear and tens of dollars in spin gear. I think the braid I use cost as much as some of the reels I have.

Your gear looks fine. I use a small backpack with a plastic divider box in it for tackle. I'd add some bullet sinkers and swivels too. Bucket, ruler, etc is if you're planning to keep the fish. Honestly I wouldn't keep anything in that area. But... It's a fine place to learn.