Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I was in east texas fishing a few weeks ago and we had to get off the water every day by about 1-2pm. In addition to being miserable ourselves, the fish would stop biting by then anyways. On the subject of catch and release, the only thing I've kept recently has been a couple of good sized black tip sharks. Generally unless I feel like cleaning and preparing the fish when I get home, I don't keep anything. I'd rather just let it go and catch it again some other day.

And in a somewhat related subject to fishing, has anyone here had a bad experience using a transom mount trolling motor for fishing compared to a bow mounted one? I've got the room to mount it at the rear and I prefer fishing from the back of my boat anyways due to it having a rather large area to fish from, but I'd like to know if anyone has had any real difficulties using a transom mount before I consider buying it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

PREYING MANTITS posted:

I use both of these lines and I highly recommend the Vicious line, it's quite strong and with the right drag settings should land most fish but if you want insurance in an area with some big fish lurking you may want to use the Fireline Fused Crystal superline. I use 8lb myself but according to their chart at the bottom of the page you can go up to 14lb and it would be the same thickness as 6lb mono.
Vicious Panfish
Fireline Fused Crystal

If you go with the fireline, I reccommend going a size smaller than what it says it is the thickness of. Like if you want 14lb braided line which is the size of 6lb mono line, find where it says what line has the size of 6lb line and then go a size smaller. (so 10lb braided line with the diameter of 4lb mono). I find that this will line you up better diameter wise with what the reel maker thinks the diameter should be. For me personally this has been true for an old quantum I have had for 15+ years and a brand new Abu-Garcia Revo INS30 along with another Quantum reel I've had for the last 5 years. I have a fair amount of experience with the fireline due to fishing in an inshore area with a bunch of oyster beds all along the bottom making braided line a necessity more often than not.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

tesilential posted:

Speaking of the heat I finally caught a break today. Super cloudy morning so after errands hit low tide on the local inshore flats with a female friend bay doesn't fish at all. Tons of baitfish jumping and occasionally getting pounded by small jack crevalles. Caugh 2 jacks, they pull a bit but my inshore setup was whipped em too easy. Saw about 6 sharks between 2.5-5 feet, at least 4 were bonnetheads. 2 got too close for comfort but I splashed the surface with the rod tip to misdirect their curiosity away from me/us. The sun came out and poo poo slowed down but on the way out found a trout bite and landed 4, missing several more. Left em biting cause a thunderstorm was heading our way quick. Just another day in good ole Tampa Bay.

We were actually targeting redfish and had hoped to catch them tailing on the outer sand bar but I guess even with the cloud cover they still didn't wanna get in the skinny. Anna handled the day well but later told me the sharks had scared her a bit (poo poo me too, you never get used to one swimming straight at you) she just didnt complain or freak because she figured it wouldn't do any good.

Thats a pretty badass chick to be cool during all that and hang out while you fish if she doesn't really fish.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Bought a new rod and reel today. http://www.abugarcia.com/products/rods/volatile The 7' 9" medium power fast action casting rod and http://www.abugarcia.com/products/reels/low-profile-baitcast-reels/revo/revo-mgx the left hand reel with the 7.9:1 gear ratio. The MGX is actually going on a 7' 11" Abu-Garcia Veritas heavy power casting rod with a medium action tip and the volatile is getting a revo inshore baitcaster with a 7.1:1 gear ratio that is currently sitting on the Veritas. I think this will match my fishin' a bit better and will keep inshore stuff matched up anyways.

EDIT: Also getting ready to head out in an hour after reds!

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

DocMcgillicuddy posted:

Y'all aint seen skill till you seen me walk the dog with my top water frogs :colbert:

I never could get much action with a frog (probably because I was getting onto the water and into the pads about thirty minutes to an hour too late for the frog bite), but burning one of these buzz spoons in gold across the edge of any vegetation, underwater rock pile or pretty much any structure yields results. Hell, just earlier tonight I was burning it along the edge of the rocks by the shore where I was catfishing for the hell of it and got a couple nice hard strikes.

They're supposed to be one of the best spoon choicess out there for redfishing and not too bad for largemouths either from what I read. I wouldn't mind taking a few of these to Lake Montecello and buzzing them along the edge of the pads there and see what I can scare up. I spotted some really nice reds (and did manage to get one to boil on a frog I was throwing) and I'm sure with it being a power plant lake, I could get some really nice results almost year round.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

stealie72 posted:

Spent most of the day fishing yesterday. Went down to the marina/breakwall/power plant hot water discharge area in downtown Cleveland on Lake Erie. Had a great time playing with all my new gear, but didn't even get a nibble. I'm guessing because where I was fishing is a rubble strewn semi-artificial shore with little natural protection. I think next time I need to get closer to a little sheltered area next to the marina. (here's a google satellite roughly centered of where I was fishing and the sheltered area is to the left: http://goo.gl/maps/JlVlM)

That and unless its extremely cold out, the water coming out of that hot water discharge is going to just be way too hot on average for many fish to want to hang out there. At least at this time of year. I'm betting that when winter rolls around, that wouldn't be too bad a place to work. As for the baitcaster, its probably going to take a good bit of practice to get back into the swing of using one.

Also, Your daughter sounds absolutely adorable and I can't wait until I have a kid so I can take them fishing.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Oh man, I got my new Abu Garcia rod and reel in. I put the Revo MGX on my 7'11" Heavy Veritas casting rod and my Revo Inshore on the new 7'9" Medium Volatile casting rod. God they are both better then that veritas rod and inshore reel were as a combo. They're both casting about 50% farther now then they were before. And thats into the wind. Its just gorgeous to cast. So silky smooth. They are some expensive setups, but god they are worth it in the end.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

What were you using to catch the snook?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Ropes4u posted:

Caught and ate a nice blacktop shark tonight. Tasty and delicious and a nice ending to the annual leadership meeting at work. Going to miss the coast of Florida when I pack up for the trip home l..

Blacktip is probably one of the best tasting sharks out there. I prefer it blackened and thrown on a grill personally.

Farking Bastage posted:

I've recently gotten into kayak fishing. I've always lived near the FL coast and have fished most of my life. After recently catching the ocean kayak bug, I realized pretty quick that you can get to areas that would demolish even a well rigged flats boat.

I find it hard to believe that you'd get into areas I couldn't get into with a flats boat unless width is a big factor.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 5, 2013

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I highly recommend watching the documentary abu have on their youtube channel on their own birth as a company. They started out making reels that were designed for casting competitions, so its not too big a surprise that yours is able to cast a mile when its dialed in right.

Also, that thing looks gorgeous. I am fairly jealous. I went through a box of old reels that was out in my garage from my grandfather's hey days of freshwater fishing and fly fishing (in like the early 50's) hoping to find an old abu garcia or something, but no luck. I did find an old saltwater winch looking penn from the 70's though.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

What rod are you using it on? It'd look awesome on a new abu garcia Vendetta rod with the matching red metal on each. But I really just think it'd be hilarious to have a 60+ year old reel on a brand new "high tech" rod.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Nov 10, 2013

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Waders and an old worn out pair of hiking boots works wonders.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

You can probably get some nice redfish in the intercostal areas which will be great fun, but some states will stock redfish in their power plant lakes so that may not be as interesting to you.

Mahi-mahi is an amazing fish to catch if you're willing to pay to go offshore. You'd have to use his gear, but its an incredible fight and can lead to more fish on the line very easily if you get into a school of them. I'd see what the water temps look like (they prefer temps over 68), but if its not too cold, you'll probably find someone willing to take you out trolling for them. Even better is they are a large fish with tons of meat that tastes absolutely amazing.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

MaakHatt posted:

We're fine paying for a charter, just want to maximize our chances. Thinking of going with this guy, a full day ocean trip for $135 (probably with people outside of our group, but some of us are in grad school and don't have tons of cash): http://roguewavefishing.com/index.php

He may just set you over a rock pile/reef and say have fun, but thats usually pretty good fishing too if he knows his spots.

EDIT:
Q: What do you fish for?
A: Snapper and grouper are the primary target how ever you can expect encounters with dolphin, king fish, cobia, sail fish, amber jack, banded rudder fish, sharks and so many more!

Yeah, it sounds like for the daily going out thing, he's going to have you fishing rock piles and such for grouper/snapper which is also pretty fun. You can try talking him into going for something else, but he may ask for more.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Mar 12, 2014

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

What the bottom looks like, how the current flows along the shore and what fish are near said shore would probably be the best things.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

TrinityOfDeath posted:

I have a chance to pick up a Abu Garcia Vendetta spinning rod for $30 at the Wal-Mart clearance rack. 6"9', medium light and a medium heavy are up there. Anyone have experience with this particular rod/brand?

I have one of the medium lights and gave another medium light to a friend. We both love them.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

bunnielab posted:

Even more confusing is that, in my reading about catfish fishing, I see recommended to use a leader heavier then the main line.

Catfish tend to live on the bottom where there is a ton of stuff to snag and tear on your line. I tend to use heavy wire leaders due to fish with teeth everywhere and lots of oyster beds that will even shred braided line.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Slightly Toasted posted:

This weekend I learned that I should probably buy a spray skirt for my kayak. And that fishing rods don't float :smith:

Is it lost forever and if so, what was it? I'd love to try kayak fishing, but I'm deathly afraid of tipping it and losing everything.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

Fishing report for today mouth Pensacola bay. Weather was awesome mellow. Low wind no chop. No fish either. We caught what I was told was squirrel fish and the damned thing bit me. Does everything really have teeth? Wtf.

quote:

and a bull shark came and crushed it right in front of us. Had to be 10+ ft.

Waste not want not.

You've basically answered your own question, but yes. Literally everything has teeth, half of it has spikey spines and a few are fairly venemous. Also, the gators have been known to climb into trees. ENJOY! :D

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I've been trying to think of available patterns that I could use to mimic a small mangrove snapper since various fish in the area seem to be feeding on them. I've kind of settled on something in a "pumpkin" color or building my own using the Tabasco pattern skirt from this site. Anyone else got some suggestions that would work?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I've never used anything but barbed, but then again I tend to fish for things that are a tad more durable than trout and will keep tasty stuff.

Edit: On the other hand, I do make sure to use hooks that will rust and fall out somewhat rapidly in case of a line breaking along with carrying a pair of wire cutters in case the hook winds up in an inconvenient location to extract.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 13, 2016

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Visiting okeechobee with my dad and my dad's friend. I've normally used crankbaits and spinnerbaits while freshwater fishing, but both of those are poor options in 1-2ft of water with the heavy cover we're running into. I've been using a 1 1/2oz okeechobee craw punching rig with a green pumpkin or a black and blue beaver tail on one rod and a 1/2oz texas rigged black and blue sanshou on another, both to decent effect. Its definately a learning experience. New water, new structure and conditions, new techniques. In 4 days, I've managed to pull a couple of small largemouths out of the lake, my dad's buddy has pulled 4 largemouths and a garr out and my dad is still trailing behind at only one largemouth. Its good times. :cheers:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Quite possibly. Alot of the water I've been fishing has been prime kayak territory, you'd just have to be ready to paddle a few miles to get anywhere. Or have a small trolling motor ready to go. The other issue would be wind. You'd be adjusting where you're going depending on wind speed and direction due to the sheer size of the lake. Its a big god drat lake.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Has anyone here played with any ark rods yet? Their 7'6" MH Viper looks drat near perfect for what I want to do with it, mostly texas rigs and the like. Limited reviews since the company has only been around since 2017, but the few I do find say its not the lightest, but its super well balanced. It would be paired with a lews mach reel. Yes, I know I'm a pretty pretty princess for picking out a rod and reel that match, but I have had the chance to handle the reel and it feels almost as nice as the revo mgs I have.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

True. Every rod or reel I've owned has been penn, quantum or abu garcia and I've generally never been disappointed in them. But, I think I'm willing to give them a chance given the positive stuff I've read about them. Only real issue comes from not being able to handle the rod before I buy it due to the lack of physical retailers. But I like supporting local companies whenever possible so thats a bonus to me.

However it may not match the reel since while out today I stopped by a newly opened tackle shop and scored a deal on a lews mach crush reel. $160 reel for $112. They had gotten a left handed crush combo in with a snapped rod earlier that day and rather than send it back, offered to sell it to me. Orange reel on a black rod with green trim. :toot:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Rod came in. 7'6" Ark Viper MH with an extra fast tip. God drat is it nice. Strong spine but still amazingly sensitive. Yesterday I played around in the canal at the edge of the rv park my dad and his friend are staying in for about an hour to get everything dialed in with the new reel. Then today I proceeded to beat the poo poo out of it for 8 hours straight on okeechobee fishing the gnarliest structure I could find with 30lb berkley fireline fused crystal line and a texas rig with a 1/2oz tungsten weight and a mix of rage craws and structure bugs in black and blue. The setup does good and that extra fast tip lets me sidearm stuff damned far with ease.

Got a decent 2 1-2lb largemouth, a 1lb largemouth and then the biggest dickhead of a yellow panhead catfish I've ever seen in the first 2 hours. After pulling the hook out, the catfish decided he wanted to keep the rage craw and kept trying to eat the loving thing as I was trying to pull it out of his mouth. Wound up fighting for a good 30 seconds with that fucker in the most absurd game of tug of war I've ever taken part in. I eventually won, but not before the poor craw was obliterated and my dad had collapsed laughing with tears in his eyes at the scene. The catfish got the final laugh though, because I couldn't get more than a few short strikes and nibbles the rest of the day. Still a good drat day fishin tho.

Me in my dirty rear end car mechanicing t-shirt holding my best fish of the day. :v:

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Apr 26, 2018

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

A cheapo walmart ugly stick and a basic 200 size quantum spinning reel is usually my go to recomendation for a cheap spinning rod and reel for someone to start fishing. You can probably get a zebco 33 or the like for dirt cheap as well. These are bad though.

Honestly if this is going to be a one time thing, I'd just find someone to borrow a rod and reel from.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Speaking of kayaks, does anyone have a recommendation for a fishing kayak in the $500 range? I needs to be something that can handle inshore fishing, freshwater lakes and ponds and maybe slow moving rivers eventually. I would like something super stable that will support my 350lb goony rear end, 2-3 rods, a tackle bag and a small cooler for drinks. Bonus points for the ability to mount some kind of shallow water anchor.

Edit: My only previous experience with non motorized floating stuff was a 17' aluminum canoe that was entirely unsuitable for fishing in, super easy to tip over and a bitch to paddle solo or even with 2 people most of the time.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 04:40 on May 25, 2018

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

No offense taken. I knew it was probably a big ask and I'd likely spend closer to $1000-1500 to get what I want. I've looked off and on for a while, but I'm hitting a point that I need to get off the bank to fish the way I'm used to fishing. Thanks for the suggestion.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 05:41 on May 25, 2018

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Yes, actually 350lbs. I'm kinda accepting I'm going to wind up paying a bit for a kayak if I go that way. Even used.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

The sea ghost is probably what I'd wind up in. I'll have to see if I can get some seat time in something like that before I buy. It'll be until tax time next year before I buy anyways, so I have time to gently caress around and research more.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

As though to reinforce my desire to get a kayak, I checked out a local spot a customer told me about. Shore access is limited to the boat ramp and the nearby channel, but tons of lily pads and reeds everywhere. I could also see where the channel narrowed to maybe 4.5' of shallow water before opening up for a righthand turn and an attached lily pad field. Good thing I just spend a week learning to use punch rigs. According to my customer, 5-7lb bass are not uncommon here, but I'd never get my boat back there, even if it was running

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

charliebravo77 posted:

*Fish hook in fingat*

Next time, push the barbed end the rest of the way through, then snip the barb off and back the hook off. I keep a pair of wire snips in my tackle bag for just this reason. I've had to do it a few times and it does less trauma to your internal meaty bits than the string and yank method. Do it right and there is pretty much 0 blood. Even taught it to a doctor when I did it with a super dull rusty hook laying in the bottom of my boat and could't force it through myself without extreme pain. Had to tell him to get the snips from his maintenence dude at the hospital because he was confused and thought I was going to send him to the hardware store. :v:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Checked out a couple local (within 15 minutes of home) spots some customers told me about. First one was a pond system in a neighborhood. It was promising with lots of underwater vegetation, crystal clear water and decent shore access that isn't in someone's backyard. I need to borrow a truck to get further back to most of the bank access, but there is some by the entrance to the neighborhood. Got a few nibbles swimming a paddle tail swim bait across the tops of the vegetation. Gonna come back with a grass/swim jig. Should be fun.

Edit: Further google earth snooping revealed an undeveloped area of the neighborhood with lots of bank access. Wonder how long until their security kicks me out. :haw:

Second spot was a big bust. Theres a tiny local lake surrounded by houses with a quarter mile long channel leading to it. The only real bank access is by the boat ramp at the far end of this channel. Too narrow and shallow to do much fishing and only one spot to really swing a rod. Need to come back with a jon boat or a kayak.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 07:17 on May 31, 2018

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Yo, uh, you needa stop fishin in the portal from hell before you catch some water demon that murders us all tia.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Uhhh, are you from florida (a guess from the species you mention) rev bleech? Because if so keeping a sandbar shark is prohibited. Hell, even landing it is prohibited.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Ah. Here in florida its a distinct species of shark that I've caught several times. Fight drat near as well as black tips. Probably would taste as good if you could keep them.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I got to spend a week fishing one of the premiere big bass producing lakes in the world, on a boat with every electronic doodad, gadget and widget you could want. The owner of the boat had fishfinders worth 4x as much as my car. I've grown up fishing with my dad, uncles, grandfather, etc. The biggest fish I managed to catch was a 2 1/2 lb catfish and a 2 1/2 lb largemouth. So you're in good company at least. :v:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I'm absurdly jealous of your access to bridges and other fun structure. And your water having depth. I'm stuck an hour north of ya'll in spring hell/brooksville and you can go a couple miles out and its still 10 foot deep most of the time. Plus the best shore fishing pier in my area got destroyed by some week rear end hurricane over a year ago and has yet to be fixed. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I've always used a regular cinch knot or a snell knot for lines and never had a problem. I've hauled up literal boulders after getting snagged on them when fishing with heavy braid before, so I've never seen the necessity of switching to a palomar knot or even an improved cinch knot. Is it worth actually learning how to tie those knots and using them regularly for me?