Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cyberbully
Feb 10, 2003

I just got back from a trip to eastern Utah, and after a long hike in the Canyonlands I drove up to one of the lakes in the La Sal mountains to camp and fish for a couple nights while my legs were healing. Being from Texas, mountains are a great rarity for me. The weather was a little rough the first day so I was pretty much the only person out there on the small lake watching trout leaping around every few seconds. I spent the first day casting different spinners over and over and over again, never getting more than bites and occasionally even being able to watch fish fail to grab onto the bait. Even though I fished all the time as a kid, I'm definitely still a novice as my dad didn't explain much to me while we fished. The second day there were more fishermen, I explained my predicament to some regulars, and they gave me a little three-pronged hook and some green powerbait. I put it on and within an hour had 3 medium-sized spotted trout. I carefully cleaned them by the streams as far from the campsite as possible as there are quite a few bears in the area, then put them over a campfire with a little bit of lemon, salt, and pepper, and lamented that I wouldn't have mountains to come back to and continue on doing this every weekend. Was a great time though, I'm looking to start fishing more at home anyway.

Anyone else in the Central Texas area have places they like to go? I've fished in Canyon Lake for catfish once and caught nothing, also a little bit in parts of the San Marcos River. I also have a small polespear that I've taken out a few times and only gotten some plecos and a buffalo carp, anyone ever do spearfishing in this area?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU