Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Apparently, I've missed this thread. I'm headed to the Stockton Delta tomorrow fishing for channel cat. I haven't been there for years. I have my chicken livers and round hooks ready and rigged extra rigs in anticipation. Can't wait, hopefully I'll have a good fish report.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

jvick posted:

How'd you do?

We didn't catch anything, mostly because we got a late start and didn't stay that late. That said, we still had an awesome day out on the boat relaxing. Today after I get off work, I'm going to hit the inlet just above Yosemite Lake.

jvick posted:

This guy was about 3.5 inches toe to toe. They are harmless, just freaky looking.

My wife just got one of these in Monterey a few weeks ago while she was looking for a P. Metallica from one of their breeders, it's only the size of a dime right now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i0IpU-1WEc

keykey fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 30, 2012

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Last night was much better action. In 1 hour before I went home, I caught 3 trout with a baitcaster and a rapala float lure.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Just got back from Monterey late last night with my wifes family, we went ocean fishing over the weekend. Final count from the rocks over 2 days of fishing at low tide : 3 rock cod, 2 ling cod. Even more importantly, had a ton of fun. It was my first time ocean fishing and definitely won't be the last, parting gifts were surf rods from my father in law. I'm thinking once a month would be a good coastal fishing interval since it's 75 miles away.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

jvick posted:

Thats great! Where did you go? If you're looking for a fishing buddy next time I'd be glad to show you some spots.

We went to the point of these rocks here: https://maps.google.com/?ll=36.637712,-121.930241&spn=0.001103,0.001549&t=h&z=20

You either have to wait for close to low tide to cross or just be in swim shorts and watersocks or other type of nonslip footwear. My father in law usually hits the Tuesday farmers market in Monterey so he went back again yesterday, tried to cross during mid tide and slipped and banged his hip.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

jvick posted:

Man, he sure made you work for your first time! How was the surf? It can get pretty rough in that area. What did you take for bait? Squid?

Yeah, we used squid. You can get it up on the pier for $1.00 per lb. We also tried using shrimp but that didn't seem to work as well. We also used glow in the dark string just above the bait to attract ling cod. Truth be told, it wasn't that bad to get out to, I used the base of my pole as a balancing stick so I didn't get wet at all, I also rolled up my pants to shorts level and I just unrolled them when we got out to the rocks. I actually got better 3g cel reception on the rocks than I did at any point in Monterey as well so that was a bonus. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

jvick posted:

1. Squid
2. Clams
3. Anchovies

In that order. I usually only use anchovies if I'm fishing of the piers, where my line is nearly straight down.

How was the glow in the dark line? I've never used it, but have never gone for long specifically. Sounds like it could be a great tactic.

Here is a picture in Carmel from last week:

http://i.imgur.com/Is7Se.jpg

We'll have to give clams and anchovies a shot next time. Thanks for the tip! :)

The glow in the dark stuff we used was more like a yarn that you tie at the top of your hook to attract fish that usually go for that sort of thing ie ling cod. Honestly, I can't really give an accurate representation of whether or not it works well yet since we only tried it for a couple hours on 1 pole during an overcast afternoon. I imagine if we went night fishing it probably would have worked great. In any case, the stuff we used was like the very bottom item in the list: http://www.fishing.leteras.com/shopmaterials_glowinthedark.html