Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

I'm not loving with the title because a better one doesn't exist. Now that the weather is nice, it is time for the 2012 Fishing thread, now with informative first post.

This thread is intended to be a resource for goons who fish to discuss fishing and ask questions, fishing newbies looking to catch their first fish, and fishing trip reports of all types. We welcome discussion on fishing for shellfish and other crustascae as well. There are also several goons who are quite knowledgeable about fishing from kayaks, so ask away about all aspects of our sport.

This thread is not for giving advice on any illegal activity, including poaching (i.e. How often do you see game wardens on X river?) and trespassing (i.e. Its posted, but nobody seems to care). However, if you have questions about trespass law or fishing regulations, please ask away. Buy a fishing license, the money supports your local fish and wildlife fund.

How do I catch my first fish?
This is a complicated question that depends on where you live. I'm going to break it down into common species, equipment, and tactics. FYI, I'm only familiar with freshwater fishing in the US and Canada. If you live elsewhere, chime up and ask. If someone has a getting started guide for saltwater, I'll edit it in here.

Common Species
If you write up your favorite species, I’ll add it to this part.

Sunfish
The first fish most anglers catch is this ubiquitous fish. These guys are almost everywhere and bite almost anything. Farm ponds and public lakes are loaded with these guys across the US. A good species to target if you’re just starting out. Look for shallow water with some sort of structure and access to food. Weeds, fallen timber, or places where runoff enters the lake are good places to start.

Catfish
Channel cats live in pretty much every river in the country, and most lakes. They’re aggressive predators and will eat just about anything. Worms and chicken livers are the best baits for these guys. Blue catfish are almost as common and will hit mostly the same baits. Look for moving water that provides access to food near structure such as brush piles, deep holes, or undercut river banks. The outside parts of bends in the river usually have the right combination of current, deep water, and structure. Bait a hook with a nightcrawler and weight it down with a 1-oz weight and throw the rig immediately upstream from such a bend. The best time of day is at dusk and early evening.
Flathead catfish run much bigger but require more advanced tactics.

Largemouth Bass
The most sought after gamefish in North America. This guy is a voracious eater and will aggressively defend his territory. A common tactic is to throw something loud and flashy and trigger a reflex bite rather than a feeding response. Tactics for largemouth are hotly debated and change throughout the year. Since largemouth bass can be territorial and hold on specific structure, they’re a tough species to target from shore, unless you find a good farm pond. Your best bet is from a boat or kayak where you can cover a significant amount of water.

Trout
There are 3 major species of trout in North America, Brown, Brook, and Rainbow. They largely overlap, depending on stocking and conditions. There’s most likely a good trout stream closer to you than you think. Trout like fast-moving cold water. Every trout on the planet will eat an earthworm, no exceptions. You can also use small spinners or flyfishing techniques. Trout can be very selective and require constant adaptation of your technique to consistently catch them. A friend of mine constantly advocates that “Trout don’t live in ugly places.” They’re a joy to catch and even more fun to hike around after.

Equipment
It’s possible to get started fishing for as low as $30 total. Find an all-in-one kit from Walmart or any sporting goods store. The line on it will suck because it’s probably been pre-spooled for months, so buy some fresh line. Sure the gear won’t be the best, but it’ll be enough to catch fish. And it’ll give you enough of a taste of fishing to decide what you want. In general, better gear doesn’t catch more fish. It improves your quality of life. Don’t be afraid to ask for help at your local sporting goods store. Pick an appropriate budget ($30 isn’t too low) and ask for advice. There should be someone there happy to help you.

Reel
If you’re going to spend extra money, spend it on a good reel. Try a couple and find one that fits your hand. I recommend the Cabela’s Pro Guide as a solid reel that will last for years. Match the reel to the line weight you plan to use.

Rod
My personal opinion is that rod largely doesn’t matter. Pick something that feels right to you. 5’6” is a good size for getting started. Shorter rods are easier for fishing from boats and give better feel. Longer rods allow you to cast farther at the sacrifice of sensitivity. In general, you want to fish with the lightest equipment that allows you to catch your targeted species. I recommend this Rod

Line
Getting started, your best bet is a simple monofilament. There are thousands of types of fishing line. In general, you want to use the lightest pound test you can get away with. Thinner lines are tougher for the fish to see, and give better sensitivity. If you’re fishing in the river and get snagged a lot, you may want to go to a higher pound test line. A common misconception is that the test of the line is the maximum size of fish you can catch. This is completely not true, and people can land 20# fish on 4# test if they take their time and don’t pull too hard. I recommend a 6# test monofilament if you’re just getting started, like this one. Bump it up to 12# or 20# if you’re targeting catfish.

Tactics
In general, every fish needs food and some sort of protection from predators and adverse conditions. These requirements vary greatly between species and bodies of water. If you can figure out what your target fish is eating, and where it feels safe, you can come up with a good game plan for how to catch it.

It’s very difficult to find good fishing information on the internet. Populations change greatly from year to year, and are highly dependent on water level, weather, and other conditions. Your best bet is to ask at your local sporting goods store. Don’t be shy! Fisherman won’t post information on the internet, but they’ll be happy to help you catch fish. Don’t expect to learn about their secret honey holes, though. Feel free to ask here as well. We'll try to help you as best we can!

Fly Fishing
A quick word on fly fishing, my favorite type of fishing. Fly fishing uses a heavy floating line to deliver a tiny lure shaped like a little fly to fool trout or other species into biting. I fly fish because it makes me feel more connected to the stream I’m fishing. It a lot easier than it looks. If you want to learn, either ask a friend who fly fishes to show you the basics, or attend a free workshop at your local Bass Pro Shops or other fishing store. It’s easy to learn, but very difficult to teach yourself. If you have any questions, ask away!

BeastOfExmoor posted:

It's pretty difficult to cover a topic as diverse as fishing that varies so much from region to region, so it might be worth adding some regional/species links for sites or forums that people visit and have found helpful.

Here are a few I like:
Washington Lakes - A site specializing in fishing in Washington State. You can look at reports from lakes, rivers or saltwater areas that you fish to get an idea of what others are catching. The forums are actually surprisingly good and have a much lower percentage of idiots than most fishing forums I've been on.
IFish - Decent forum for the Pacific Northwest. Most users seem to be out of Oregon, but the info often works for Washington as well. Much higher percentage of idiots wanting to fight with each other about how declining Salmon/Steelhead numbers are all someone else's fault, but if you get into the subforums for Trout, Kokanee, and Bass there's a ton of good info.
Crappie.com - Great website for Crappie and Panfish fisherman. Easily the best species specific website I've seen.

Here's a link to the 2011 thread in case anyone finds this one that didn't read the last one. It's full of tons of information that won't go out of date and is a good resource until it gets archived.

Rythe gives a good overview of how to pick out a kayak for fishing in this post

Dik Hz fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

causticBeet posted:

Tried out wacky rigging instead of texas style for the first time, and holy poo poo, why didn't I try this earlier?

Wacky rigging only works with senko (or Yamamoto) worms with the right density. It's a relatively new invention, and it is like cheat mode for bass. Nice fish!

causticBeet posted:

However, this leads me to a question, what can I do in terms of leaders for freshwater fishing?
The traditional way to target Pike is use a 12" metal leader attached to your line by a swivel. However, I think most modern Pike fishermen just spool up 20 or 30# superline.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

IM FROM THE FUTURE posted:

Does Spearfishing count? Ive done all kinds of fishing in my life and it is by far the most enjoyable kind. But When I cant go spearfishing I like to go deep sea fishing. When I cant go deep sea fishing I like to go kayak fishing. And when I cant go kayak fishing I will settle for some bass fishing.

Im from South East Florida so I get to do all kinda of awesome fishing. Fishing is the best ever.
Absoluetely! Personally I'd love to hear how you catch those spiny lobsters, and what kind of water you spearfish in. What all kinds of fish do you catch? Are you usually successful?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Rythe posted:

Crappies
I only target pre-spawn crappies, because they're a blast to fish and you can do it from shore. Post-spawn and summer crappies hang out too deep for shore fishing.

Pre-spawn, I like to use a small minnow a foot under a bobber on a small jig head. If there's a feeding crappie, it'll take a minnow. They bite soft, so pay attention and use light tackle.

My best crappie tactic is to wait until it rains. Then go fish the spots where drainage ditches feed into the lake. The flow from the drainage ditches and culverts will attract baitfish. That congregation of baitfish will attract crappies when they're in their pre-spawn pattern.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Cluricaun posted:

Sorry Dk Hz, I'm running all over your thread again bud. I'll shut up for a minute.
It's not my thread, it's all our thread! I just wanted to update the date in the title and provide an informative first post.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

I got up into the mountains of North Carolina and did some prospecting in the Pisgah National Forest for trout. I did catch one super-plump 8" rainbow trout on a wild stream, but I spent most of my time hiking around and observed the water rather than fishing. To me, that's almost as much fun. The stream was infested with this weird species of creek chub that would hit my flies, but were much to small to get hooked. Kinda made fishing a pain. If I went back to that stream, I'd just skip from honey-hole to honey-hole. But that's not really my style.

I'd love to hear about other types of fishing I can do around North Carolina. Especially if someone has some pointers for surf fishing around Wilmington and the Outer Banks.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Cluricaun posted:

Surf fishing is easy, it's just weight and bait, think like a heavy duty river rig with seven strand as a leader. Get enough lead to throw it the distance you want and tip with squid or cut bait. You can haul in little sharks all day long that way, but they don't fight for poo poo, it's entirely like cat fishing. At least that was my experience in Beaufort SC and I suspect NC would be similar. Never had my shot at OBX yet though, but hooks, bait and sinkers work everywhere right?
Thanks! How do you go about choosing where to fish on the coast?

I was also curious how to catch stripers and poo poo when they're chasing the baitfish around in the evening. Sometimes I'll see balls of baitfish on the surface flashing and jumping, so I know there's a big predator down there. I'll see guys chase 'em around with spinning tackle, but I haven't seen them catch anything. Got any advice on that?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Spike McAwesome posted:

Yessssssssssssssss.

So I'm going fishing for the first time in about 20 years fairly soon - within the next two weeks or so. It's not so much a fishing trip as it's a "Let's rent a pontoon boat and float around Lake Mead for a few hours whilst drinking", but gently caress it.

Based on the OP and the little I've read of last year's thread, I think I'm just going to go to Bass Pro and get an all-in-one kit, then stop in at a bait shop closer to the actual lake to get bait and ask for tips and tricks. Are there specific questions I should ask at these places? Or questions I should avoid asking so I don't embarrass myself too much?

The NPS.gov site says Lake Mead has largemouth bass, striped bass, channel catfish, crappie, and bluegill. Do you guys know of any types of lures or bait I should use that would be more or less universal? I'm apathetic to the species of fish I would catch, I just want to fish, dammit.
Lake Mead has fantastic largemouth bass fishing.

Your plan of buying an all-in-one kit and asking at a local bait shop is excellent. Just be sure to buy some fresh line for the kit if it comes with pre-spooled line. Spend some money (bait + line) at the local bait shop out of courtesy.

If you just read your post here line-for-line, you'd get excellent advice. Largemouth bass are highly seasonal and local, so you'd need local advice. Also, make sure the driver of your pontoon stays sober. It's still a DUI if you're driving a boat, and it's just common sense. Be careful and follow the local laws.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Pretty interesting to hear about a Perch charter. They're one of my favorite fish to catch, but around here they don't get much larger than 8-9" and aren't very popular. I imagine the Great Lakes ones run a bit bigger?
A fat 9" perch is the most delicious fish God has graced us with. They do run bigger in the Great Lakes, but a 10" is a nice perch anywhere.

EnsignVix posted:

I also learned a lot just by talking to the older guy next to me.
This right here is the best lesson any novice angler can learn. If you keep your ears open and your mouth shut, you will learn more in 2 sentences from an old coot than you will in weeks of research on the internet.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Good point on girth, I hadn't thought of that. I caught a bunch of 8" perch last year, but they were almost all skinny and it was hard to get much meat off of them.

Just got off the phone with my wife's uncle and it looks like we'll be fishing a mix Stripers and what he called "Black bass" on Friday. It looks like that is just a term for fish in the Largemouth/Smallmouth family, but if someone can clarify northern California fish slang I'm all ears.
You're right, black bass means largemouth and smallmouth bass collectively and that's not just in Cali. Not sure where it comes from. But it almost always refers to largemouth. I'm not even sure if Cali has smallmouth bass.

Stripers are incredibly delicious and you should definitely keep one if you catch one and the fishery can support harvest. Follow your uncle-in-law's lead and let us know how you fare.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

icehewk posted:

There's a fly fishing blog I follow that fishes fairly close to me here in Wisconsin. Here's a story he posted this morning. The site is down at the moment so not sure what's going on there.

Len Harris would object to it being called a fly fishing blog, I wager. He's a big fan of using whatever tackle is appropriate, not just fly rods. :)

He's a legend in the Driftless region.

Here's my favorite post by him Link it's been reposted a thousand times.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

I occasionally go pole fishing off a pier at my university campus. My tackle is very low-tech since you're only allowed to fish with poles without any permits here in Finland. I'm mainly interested in perch but the season hasn't really started yet, so I'm mostly catching cyprinids like silver bream, carp bream, roach, bleak and ide. Some of my odder catches so far include a single herring and a ruffe.

I'm interested in hearing your opinions on different kinds of baits. So far I've tried:
  • Earthworms. All fish love earthworms, it seems.
  • Dough. Only the cyprinids seem to like this, but it's much faster to make than to go digging for worms.
  • Fish eyes. I can't really tell how well these worked, because I've used them only once and it was a bit late. (The fish seem to stop biting around 15:00. The best time to fish from my pier seems to be noon.) Seemed to work for everything.
  • Pieces of fish I'd caught earlier the same day. I also tried this a bit late today, so I can't say for sure how effective it was. It seemed to scare away all the cyprinids, but I got a small perch and something pretty big the gave a good fight. Both fell off the hook to my dismay. I'm not sure what the big fighty thing was, could have been a large perch, a zander or a pike.
So far it seems like the fish bits yield the tastiest fish. Has anyone else ever tried this kind of bait?
We call that cut bait over here in the States. It's a staple for catching catfish and some predatory fish. I have no idea about fishing in Finland, though. Try dawn and dusk for predatory fish, though. Good luck and keep us posted! I'm really curious to here about Scandinavian fishing.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Cluricaun posted:

I am captain catch and release, I don't object to fish being kept in accordance with regulations and provided that the fishery can handle it, yadda yadda, but that motherfucker would be on my wall as fast as I could pay a taxidermist to get the job done. I've tossed back "trophy" fish countless times but that thing has to be a line class record if not a state record and were I to ever pull one of those off, welp, tough times Mr. Feesh here comes the fortune and glory.
I would definitely return the fish and commission an artwork that I would at least stand a chance of getting my future significant other to let me hang on the wall.

Plus I could be all smug and talk about how I know where a catchable 30" brown is.

The records for brown trout in Wisconsin are dominated by the coasters. (Coaster = Great Lake Run trout)

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Cluricaun posted:

I'd probably have a better shot at being able to put something up if I just put the picture of me and the fish, especially after my wife found out how much mounts go per inch, but I don't care. That trout is something magical and it's the very concept of a fish like that which can rouse me from a hangover at 4:00am to spend another day splashing around in the water like a goof accomplishing squat.

The only trout we have down here are the little stockies that they toss in the forest preserves twice a year and then the stuff in the lake and since I don't regard charter boats as truly "fishing" I'd likely carry a fish like that around with me for the rest of my life like some sort of increasingly rotten teddy bear.
I know a guy in Viroqua who caught and kept a 27" brown. (skinny female, not massive bull trout like the one Len's buddy caught) When he found out how much it'd cost to mount, he just stuffed it in his freezer. If you ask nicely, he'll bring out his troutsicle to show off.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Drunkboxer posted:

I have a dream of mounting a 4 foot gar and putting a bottle opener in it's mouth. From what you guys are saying this would cost approximately infinity dollars?
$10/inch on the low end, probably closer to $25/inch for a big gar.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

WayneCampbell posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for websites for learning different types of rigs? So far my repertoire consists of bobber/sinker/hook and that's it.
The classics are the classics for a reason! :)

That being said, ask locally or post your location/species here. You've got to give us more to go on.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Chemtrail Clem posted:

That is badass, i am going to do that and catch some bass this weekend,.
Make you get a denser brand of worm for this to work. You can't just get the cheap light plastics for wacky-rigging. Senko or Yamamoto are the right kind. Should run about $4-6 for a bag of 2 dozen. Ask the guy at the counter if you're not sure which ones to get.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

tesilential posted:

Thanks for the tip, I guess I'll stick with mono. Has knot technology changed lately? I'm still tying a clinch knot with a square knot on top just in case.

Nice haul of mahi mahi! Never fished for them but back on puerto Rico they catch boat loads of >5' dolphin on just a spool of line and a hook with bait.

Improved clinch is where it's at. Google it for better directions than I could give.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

After trying to find a good stream with wild trout in it within 2 hours of my house in my state (North Carolina), I listened to a friend of mine and checked out a "stocked" stream north of me 1h15 into Virginia. I had ignored it because it's listed as a stocked/special regulations stream and I prefer wild trout. Turns out that it's 20+ miles of wild brown trout in a tailwater with a small portion of stocked in rainbows. I went up and caught 3 browns my first time out last weekend. Guess I've got a new home stream. :)

I love it and couldn't be happier. If anyone in the NC/VA area wants to go fly fishing, let me know and I'd be happy to take you fishing. Be prepared for some really loving cold water, though.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Brozekiel posted:

Hey a fishing thread! I'm looking to buy a flyfishing rod/reel/line combo. Any go-to recommended set ups? I'm just getting into fly fishing so something under $200 is my budget - either 4, 5, or 6 weight. I'll mostly be fishing for trout but would like to fish salmon, too.
I would love to help you out!

Are you looking to do big water or small creek stuff? Where are you located? Do you have experience fly fishing? Do you prefer fiberglass, bamboo, or graphite?

Personally, I love fiberglass and small creeks, so my next purchase is going to be: This kit in 4wt size.

This kit includes everything you need in a graphite rod setup. Nothing fancy, but you'll get a great setup for $70-$80. You don't need to spend more unless you want better line. By the time better gear will have any impact on your fishing ability, you'll know exactly what you want. Get the 8' 5wt or 6wt if you're just starting out. Shorter graphite rods with heavier line are the most forgiving and easiest to learn on. Get the 9' rod if you're going to be fishing open water or big rivers. 6wt is plenty for a 5-7# salmon. Any bigger and you'll want to go up to a 8wt. But that'd be impracticable for trout other than steelhead.

Dik Hz fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 7, 2012

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Brozekiel posted:

I also really like small creeks - it's almost more about the experience than the actual catching for me and smaller rivers/creeks seem to have more of that. Although catching fish is important, too!

I'm in Portland, OR. I've been on the Deschutes for reds and I have some friends who go out there and elsewhere for steelhead quite often. Honestly, catching a steelhead would be a lot of fun but waking up at 4am to fight for a spot on a river bank does not sound very appealing to me. I'd say my skill level is advanced-beginner as I've got basic technique down pat.

Would a 5wt. rod be practical for mostly trout and maybe the occasional salmon? If I got more into it, buying a 7-8wt. rod for bigger guys wouldn't be out of the question.

Any experience/ideas with these? 4 or 5wt or 9' 5wt

I'm the kind of person who'd rather spend a little more money for something if it's going to last a lot longer and or perform a lot better, so I'd probably skip out on the $80 setup.
Any graphite fly rod is going to last until you slip and fall on it. And your tackle setup isn't going to be your limiting factor for quite a while. But to answer your questions, the St. Croix Rio is a great rod. My friend has one, and it's a bit stiff for the line weight, but very friendly. I've never cast the Passport, but a guy in my fly fishing club has one and swears by it. Both rods have excellent reviews.

5wt is fine for small creeks and will help with the wind. But you'll hate life trying to cast an 8'6" rod on a small creeks. As for small creeks, small rods are better. I have a 7'3" glass rod that casts 5/6 weight line, and it's an amazing rod. You really have to slow down your cast with glass, though. You're not going to find a rod that can cover both small creeks and salmon. Spend your money on the small creek rod; you can get a good salmon rod from a $50 kit.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Brozekiel posted:

Thanks for the great info Dik Hz and Achmed Jones.

I like the idea of a bit slower-action rod. Out of the two cabela's that I posted, I guess the Passport wouldn't be as fast? Also, how is the drag on the Cabela's reels and the Redington? I've heard of some reels having stupid large amounts of variance between each click - a click one way is just right but one click past that will lose a fish.

I'm gonna be fishing towards the end of this month on the Clackamas (you'll have to mentally photoshop out the rafters); here's a picture of it when the levels are pretty high. I like fishing rivers like this and smaller:

No idea how that corresponds to a fitting rod length. Maybe an 8'6" would be okay?
That's big water! 8'6" would do well. If you want to spend a couple hundred, go down to the local fly shop and ask their advice. If they're not too busy, they'll let you try out a couple rods.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

snugglebunny posted:

Had my first cat fishing trip today, got out there around 11am and left at 5pm. Pretty good haul I think.
I was fishing at lake Tawakoni using worms for bait.

Just out curiosity, what do you plan on doing with 25 catfish?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Brozekiel posted:

Thanks for all of the help. I was up in Seattle this past weekend with my girlfriend and on the way back to Portland, I noticed a giant store off the side of the highway called "Cabella's." She reluctantly took the next exit after a bit of pleading and with the promise of some kettle corn. I'd never been to a Cabella's before - drat that place is huuuge. I could have spent hours there but I didn't feel like pushing my luck.

I ended up getting a pretty good deal: $220 for a Redington Classic Trout 9' 5wt and the Cabella's Prestige Premier reel spooled. Woop! Fishin' time!

Nice pickup. You should be able to launch that 9'er a country mile. Line up to a 6wt and you'll be fine for the bulk of salmon fishing. The large arbor reel will let you play salmon on the reel. You won't find too many trout that require it, though. Good luck and keep us posted on how you fare on the water.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

My girlfriend absolutely loves fishing, but said she needs a new tackle box. Any suggestions on a decent one or what to put in it it? I don't want to give her an empty box as a present. She generally just fishes for bass and pike by her dad's house. We are in Michigan if that matters at all. I've never really fished, but I got dragged out yesterday. Now I plan on picking up a combo deal at Gander Mountain or Bass Pro when I get a chance. It was a lot of fun, though her dad did tie my hook on and all that and she baited my hooks for me.
Tackle boxes and Bass tackle are highly personal items. I'd recommend taking her shopping and picking up the tab. Let her help you pick out a rod/reel also.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

That's a good idea, maybe I'll take her down to Cabela's and let her pick out what she wants since I'd screw it up somehow.

Picking out tackle with your significant other is a great relationship builder!

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

causticBeet posted:

Please tell this to my girlfriend next time I drag her along with me to Bass Pro.

Just let her pick out a hilariously gaudy lure for you to use on your next trip.

From Claurican in the previous thread:

Claurican posted:

Speaking to both points: My wife only started fishing after she met me, and to conventional wisdom she's completely ridiculous in her choices at the store when it comes to lures. Anything pink or girly or really gimmicky and she's all over it. I ended up with a box in my bag full of her stuff just so I could tie on whatever stupid bait she'd found at the tackle shop so that she'd be happy. Of course I'm the true fool in this story, she ties on this 3/4oz sized monstrosity of a glittery bubblegum pink with laser flash spinnerbait that I would have told you was both the wrong size, presentation and color for the water and species we were fishing being that we weren't fishing for unicorn in a toxic waste runoff on Jupiter.

Two casts later and she's hauling in a 30+ inch walleye. Two casts. Of a pink spinnerbait. That should never have worked, but what appealed to the fisherman in the store was the right combination of unseen and different that she ends up nailing a trophy right off the bat, much to the embarrassment of her husband and his fishing buddies who were teasing her moments before and were suddenly offering her $100 bills for her bait.

Hence the agony of every fisherman on the planet: you never know which of those dipshit looking lures at the store might be the thing that you scrounge out of your bag on a slow day for shits and giggles and end up with a monster, so you obviously have to buy them all.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

I went fishing by myself after work, after buying a $40 spinner combo at Gander Mountain. Ran into some cool old guys who gave me some advice and helped me fix my reel after I turned it into a bird's nest.

I ended up catching a small 8" small mouth on my first cast and a few bites after that but didn't manage to reel anything in.
Grats dude, you win. :)

You caught a smallmouth bass on your first time out, and you learned the cardinal rule of fishing: Shut up and listen to the old guys.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

EnsignVix posted:

Any advice on tying a slip bobber rig differently if I have consistent problems with it getting tangled up on the cast? Usually the tangle occurs with the leader or swivel (or both) getting caught up on my sinker.

A lot of times I can tell when it gets tangled by how the bobber sits in the water, but sometimes I can't. In that scenario it kind of sucks because I let it sit out there for a long time only to later discover the bait presentation was horrible. This causes the additional problem of me being paranoid it isn't sitting properly so I end up reeling it in too early when it was fine.

Going from top down, I have a knotted stop to set depth at about 10', a bead, then the slip bobber, after that a 1/2 oz. rubber-core twist weight, I usually leave about 6 inches between that and a swivel (although I also have problems with the weight falling down to the swivel), the swivel, then a 6 inch leader to a small hook with either a minnow, half a nightcrawler, or cricket typically.

You might try a 3-way swivel, if I'm reading your rig right. It'll let each part rotate individually and greatly reduce tangles.

Would this work:
?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

imac1984 posted:

I have finally decided to break down and ask for help on SA. I'm a newbie fisher even though technically this is my 2nd season. I live north of washington dc, there are a ton of lakes (some pre-stocked) and a great deal of opportunity to (what I thought would be very easy) catch some fish! I went from about May til September last year fishing probably once a week average at the various lakes around me and did not catch a single fish... in fact, I did not get a single bite! I've read all there is to read and watched the youtube videos on how to catch bass (since they seem to be the "easiest"), I have several rods and a wide array of lures. I've tried plastic worms (texas and wacky rigged), spinner baits, crank baits, you name it. I've gone morning, afternoon, evening. Mostly fishign from shore, although I rented a paddle boat once last year and rode around to various spots that seemed exactly what I should be looking for and still got nothing. There is obviously something very fundamentally wrong with what I'm doing and I can't figure out what it is. I've tried soliciting help from real people in the area, but none of my friends/family have any interest in fishing so I'm kinda on my own. I feel like I've covered most of the basics about my situation, but please feel free to ask about whatever else would be important.

At this point I just want to catch a fish! that's it, I don't care what it is, I just want to know that I have the ability.

Please fishing-goons, any help you could offer would be most appreciated!
The Potomac River up above DC is one of the best smallmouth bass rivers in the world. Likewise the Shenandoah river is the #1 smallmouth river in the USA. Have you fished either? I described both in the last thread and can dig out that info if you don't have archives.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Unperson_47 posted:

To the fly fisherman out there:

Are the really lightweight swivels/snaps marketed for fly use actually viable? I hate having to retie flies, widdling down my leader to the point of hindering my casting. This leads to me having a longer leader than I can manage really so that's self-defeating. A tippet seems to be more trouble (and one more knot) than it's worth. Then again, I suck at fly fishing right now. :shrug:

For some extreme fly tying, check out Graham Owen.

Just gotta use tippet and suck it up. If you're cheap, like me, 4# fluorocarbon works just fine. You give a bit of flexibility, but it's not a dealbreaker.

Besides, having to retie your whole rig gives the pool a chance to rest.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

I went fishing with my dad a week ago. We came back with 7 small perch and these breams, which are now in the freezer, waiting to be smoked:

We also caught some roach and a small ide, but since neither of us knew how to cook them, we ditched them. That won't happen again, since yesterday I finally received an order I've been waiting for a long time: a cookbook on how to prepare practically any coarse fish you could expect to catch in Finnish waters.
In theory, Roach should be the easiest to smoke. :banjo:

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Nightcrawlers on the bottom work pretty well too. Just bait it up and throw it out Huck Finn style. Then read a book or something because carp will take their sweet time.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I lost my job this summer, and while I'm hunting, I have a lot of free time. I live within walking distance of a fishing pier, and thought I might try my hand at it. It's a tributary to the James River in VA, which is in turn a tributary to the Cheasapeake Bay. Fish caught there seem to be croaker, cats, the occasional eel. Crabbing's not permitted but the last time I was there this 7 year old kid was pulling them in on a line like nobody's business.

I'm having a little trouble parsing whether I need a SW license, or if a FW will do, according to this site:

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/fishing/regulations/tidalwaters.asp

I'm downstream from the line for James River, but not on the river itself, and the fish aren't SW.

Sorry if this is a stupid newbie question. I don't know a soul who fishes, and am kinda afraid to ask questions in person because I'm a gal (no, I don't want to buy sparkly pink lures). I just read the entire thread, and it's been very helpful!
You can use either a freshwater or saltwater license. Between the line and the surf, either license is good. Anywhere you can catch a catfish is definitely going to be considered freshwater, so don't worry.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Yeah, I figured I'd give 'em a call anyways; thanks for the reply.

Stupid newbie question #2: fishing in fresh/brackish tributaries like that, I can get away with a cheap FW pole, right? Looking at a sporting goods website (Dick's), it seems like the big difference in FW vs. SW is just rod size... ?

I just hoofed up the street to a consignment/thrift store to see what they had in the way of used rod & reel gear. Prices ranged from $15 to $45, but honestly, I really had no idea of what I was looking for. If I'm not sure that I'm even going to get into this, should I just get a cheap $30 set-up new from Dick's?
The recommendations in the OP will work just fine for brackish water. Just watch out for:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL7CwM7Zo1I
Pretty sure that was Virginia or North Carolina.

Dik Hz fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Sep 13, 2012

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

beefnoodle posted:

I did back-to-back trips recently. First was a week on the Bighorn in Montana, flyfishing for browns and rainbows. My father-in-law and I have done a trip each year there for about the past 6 years. Then I spent a long weekend in Niagara Falls, NY, catching smallmouth bass in the river. This was the first time I'd done this.

The main takeaway for me was the difference between the size of fly/bait and the fish caught (and then of course the different technique). On the Bighorn, I use dry flies or nymphs, usually size 18 for the trout, fished on the surface (duh) or at most 6 feet down when drifting. This yielded 17-19 inch trout. Whereas the bass were 12-25 feet down requiring a sinking line and large crayfish patterns, or when I switched to a bait casting rig like the other guys in the boat were using, I used a sinker and live crayfish that we'd netted in the morning.

This has been your stating the obvious post of the day. :)
Try throwing crayfish streamers on the Bighorn and report back. :)

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Fourth quater bonus: 7'6 4wt glass rod

Going to hit up the Shenandoah park this weekend to catch some brookies.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Anyone know anything about catching crappies in NC?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

PREYING MANTITS posted:

I don't know about NC specifically (check out the NC board on crappie.com for local reports :)) but the past couple of weekends I've been out crappie fishing in Alabama and have had decent success. Last weekend the water hit about 57 degrees and they started moving shallow to spawn. I hit my limit without going into water deeper than 8ft. They were schooled up in a relatively current free cove with a bunch of bream mixed in.

Gear wise I usually just stick to a single line (4-6lb) with one or two 1/32 or 1/16 jig heads about 1 to 2 feet apart. Orange, blue and unpainted are my usual head colors and I pair those with bobby garland baby shads in monkey milk, blue ice or on cloudy days chartreuse & white colors.

I only fish for them from a boat so my technique is to go back and forth over the area I feel they're in, looking for something like this on the finder then give the line a small jerk/twitch every 10 seconds. I caught four in this spot before the bite quit and I had to repeat the finding process.

For shore fishing, I see tons of people who pull over on the side of the road and fish under small bridges with slip bobber setups.
Thanks.

I tried this Friday, but the water temp wasn't high enough for them to be shallow. And the rental boat had no electronics of course.

Also, any place that can be fished from shore is going to be loving mobbed this time of year. crappie.com seems to be more oriented to tightliners with boats.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

PREYING MANTITS posted:

Oh that bites. The Alabama board is kind of a mix between boating and shore spots though usually every spot that gets mentioned there gets swamped for a few days afterwards. I've heard of punches being thrown at some of the more "premium" spots. It's ridiculous and I'm glad I can motor away from that. :)

If you can find a quiet spot somewhere maybe you can throw a few trees into it and attempt to make your own honey hole, doesn't help immediately of course but that's something I've considered doing to avoid the madness when everyone has crappie fever.
Yeah, my honey hole back in MN would get a bit crazy during the spawn. You could fish it from shore and everyone within 5 counties seemed to know about it. Crappies are nuts. You can throw a minnow in a 5'x5' spot and catch a crappie every minute all day long. But cast 3' to the left and you're going to catch 1/hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Bangkero posted:

hey need some goony feedback on this. I'm venturing into fly fishing this season and am trying to make some beginner purchases.

Some of my local fishing details:
* In Ontario, Canada and will be mostly fishing the shores and docks of lakes with a few boat trips around the kawartha lakes. Some small-medium creeks/rivers as well.
* target species: freshwater fish 5lb and below. Mostly SM/LM bass (<4lbs) and pike (4-10lb). Trout (<3lb, ain't got time for lakers). Walleye (<3lb). Also panfish (<1 lb) when camping with the non-fishing friends.

Rod:
I saw these on kijiji, he offered both for $50 so I jumped on it:
* rod 1: 8.5ft, 6-7lb
* rod 2: 9 ft, 7-8lb

Reel:
My budget is $60, and I've been eyeing the Hobbs Creek® Large Arbor Fly Reel 5-6lb (based on reviews) to be used with rod 1.

Line:
WF6F is recommended for the reel. I was just going to get something cheap.

I'll be asking at BPS these questions, but wanted to see if any goons had feedback for me:
* is a 6lb setup overkill for the type of fishing I want to do?
* any suggestions on fly lures? your favourite perhaps?
When you're starting out, it'll be easier to fish the upper limit on the rod. A reel is lowest priority. In fly fishing it's only used to store line. Pick a line to match your rods. A WF7F would work with either rod. 7-weight is a good starting spot for bass and pike. Clouser minnows are the go-to for bass and pike. Get a variety of colors. White/blue is the best, imho.

Does that help ya out?