Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

King of Bees posted:

We caught one chunky whiting and one dink this morning. By we I mean my son did. I didn't catch a drat thing. Rain and heat have killed the surf bite here for now.
Better to have your kiddo outfish you than vice versa. Putting loved ones on fish is better than catching them yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Time posted:

yall wanna fish?
What kinda fishing you do?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Stalizard posted:

Well I figured out why I never catch any drat trout when I go to the stretch of river closest to my house - the water is too warm! Apparently the move in the summertime is to throw big streamers for shoal bass and stripers that make their way down when the water is warmer, and hold off on trout fishing until October or so.

The guy at the fly shop said my 5/6 weight rod would be ok but not great for shoal bass and I'd be hosed if a striper hit it, and I was drunk on eBay later, and now I have a big 9wt switch rod coming to my house today.

What kind of line do I put on this thing? Can I just use regular old weight forward fly line or do I need something more specialized? Any tips for figuring out the two handed cast?
You'll probably want a sinking tip for stripers. Ask the dude at the fly shop. He'll probably let you test out your rod with different lines to see what feels right. Also, it'd be rude not to buy the line from him if you do so.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Woodpile posted:

Smith Mt. Lake fishing report. Is it just me or do boat wakes trigger catfish to bite? Doing well but no Big One.
I've definitely observed boat wakes triggering bites, but I don't understand it at all. Never fished Smith Mountain Lake, but I've sure driven past it a bunch. Any trip reports would be welcome!

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Iymarra posted:

So as a newbie fisherwoman, I'm looking for something to get stuck in with.
I've done a little research but all this terminology of jigs and spinners and stuff has me bamboozled. I was recommended to use a spinning reel rather than a casting reel as the former is 'easier' for newbies to learn?
I was originally looking at a telescopic / travel rod but was warned off these for poor build quality? Someone elsewhere casually threw 'penfishingrods.com' at me but that looks..dangerously insane.

So, I'm looking to get something that is robust as hell and not going to fall apart and had actual quality control performed on it, that doesn't cost a kidney.

I saw the 'st croix mojo yak' rod - https://stcroixrods.com/collections/freshwater - but that seems to be made for fishing in a kayak - could I feasibly just sit on a bank and use that to fish trout or whatever tiddlers are in a stream/river?

What 'made in USA or somewhere with good quality build and QC' rod/reels would you recommend? Combos preferred, prespooled even better as I have no idea how to actually spool a reel.
Prespooled line has been sitting on the reel for at least a couple months, so it has a lot of memory that makes it hard to cast. You absolutely want to spool your own line. Just tie it around the reel in any way you can, and crank the reel until it fills up. Only go about half-way to avoid issues when you cast. If you completely fill a reel, the line can slip off the face of the reel and really screw with you when you try to cast.

Shimano, Penn, Mitchell, and Zebco are all quality entry level rod/reel combo points for newbies. I'm a big fan of the Mitchell Avocet package. Get a 1-piece or 2-piece rod for simplicity. Telescoping and 4-piece rods can be really persnickity in ways that are tough to deal with for beginners. 1-piece rods just feel better, if you have a vehicle that can transport them easily. 2-piece rods breakdown enough to fit anywhere.

Definitely agree that spinning reels are the easiest way to start. I've been fishing for almost 40 years and still use spinning reels for everything.

Also, where are you planning to fish? We can give more specific pointers if we know what species you're targeting and what body of water you're fishing on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

titties posted:

You might hit up some yard sards and grab a couple rods and some tackle for cheap
100% agree. Yale Sards are the best place to pick up used fishing gear. I got a great pair of fishing boots for $2 that carried me for 2 years.