Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

I think I just hit a creature?
I really like fly fishing, but I won't even attempt it unless I'm alone in a boat or wading in a medium sized or bigger stream/river. The fact you need as much space behind you as in front just to cast can get really annoying. I've actually taken to making hand tied 1/64oz jigs and such for my ultralight spinning setup to satisfy my "fly" urges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

My first negative experience with another fisherman was with a fly fisherman.

I was wading just off the beach at the local neighborhood lake, catching bluegill with a stick, line, hook, and corn kernels. There was a guy fly fishing next to me. For every fish he caught with his fancy rod (I remember thinking how drat cool his gear looked with its bright green line) I pulled in 4 with my stick and corn. I'll never forget the look of contempt he gave me when he walked off to a new spot.

At the time I walked away from the encounter wanting a fly rod more than anything. Looking back that guy was a serious dick giving a 9 year old and his stick the stinky eye. I was even there first!

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

I think Tenkara looks neat and is a pretty good solution for small stream fishing (a favorite of mine). The only difference I see between it and a normal fly rod is the lack of reel, not really (heh) something to get bent out of shape about.

As for barbed hooks I'm in complete agreement. I started crimping the barbs on all my hooks years ago and haven't looked back. I buy barbless when I can, even going so far as to replace any and all treble hooks on my lures with single barbless. You don't really lose any more fish and catch and release is so much easier.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

Anybody else have multiple run-ins with game wardens while out on the water? I would say half the time when I'm out on the stream/river at some point I'll get the poo poo scared out of me by a game warden sneaking up from behind to check my licenses and gear.

It always goes down the same way. They approach very sternly, hand near their gun, and ask for my fishing license etc. Once they see I actually DO have my license with all required stamps and permits they brighten right up and are as friendly as can be. From what I've been told, it's pretty rare for people to have everything together on VA's protected trout waters (you need fishing license, trout stamp, and national park permit) so coming across somebody with all their poo poo together is pretty rare.

What I think is silly is the amount of firepower these guys have on them. I understand there are bears etc, and most poachers would be armed, but do you really need two handguns, a shotty on your back, and a flak jacket to check my license?

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

I am not a book posted:

It's been years since I've fished and I don't remember anything, but the couple times that my wife and I went last year were a blast for both of us so I'm looking for some tips:
We've got a lake full of panfish that's about 30 feet at the deepest but around the edges is anywhere from 1 foot to 5 feet, with some stands of weeds and downed trees. My wife loves catching bluegills, what should we do in order to get good sized ones? Most of the ones that bite are tiny and we end up throwing them back.

Artificials all the way. Try small jigs/spinners at around 1/64 to 1/32oz in size. My go to panfish/rockbass/crappie etc. jig is 1/32oz with a Berkley Power Nymph. If you're not used to using a jig try attaching a bobber (preferably a sliding style) about 2 feet up from the jig. Cast it out and twitch the bobber ever few seconds.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

slavatuvs posted:

This eldritch leviathan of a carp has moved into the stretch of the river I fish in and has been chilling there for the better part of a week.

I used to frequent the Rapidan River here in VA and these big guys (or something similar) used to patrol up and down my favorite spots for rock bass and smallmouth. They are totally bros and will brush up against your legs and such if you wade in the same spot long enough. They would also follow behind me as I moved up and down the river, picking off any morsels kicked up by my feet.

I never tried to catch one because they were just so "friendly", and the fact I don't think my ultralight setup could have handled them. Still, super cool to have fish bros chilling with you while you fish.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

bongwizzard posted:

Went wade fishing today on the upper Patapsco River in central MD. Was on the water for 4 hours and only managed to cover half a mile. There were fish everywhere and I caught a ton of them. Nothing big, but close to a hundred small SMB and larger Redbreasts. I also caught a single rockbass, which I didn't even think lived around here. I fished a few variations on the Ned rig. It is really an amazing lure, small enough for a larger sunfish to take the hook but large bass will still hit it.

I am very impressed with how hard SMB fight. The largest I caught was only like 12" but even ones down to 6" would pull drag and put a good bend in my heavish ML rod.

Yeah wade fishing in large stream/small rivers is the best. Rock bass are absolutely native to the east coast and are a blast if you can find a school of them. Very much behave like river-crappie. Also I find that riverside of any species are just plain stronger than their lake bound cousins.

Next time you go out try a Berkley Power Nymph on a 1/32oz jig head. It's pretty much cheating.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

I've always wanted to live on/have access to water with yellow perch. They're like super pretty mini walleye!

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

Mukulu posted:

Perch are just too tiny and keep swallowing hooks. I feel like a monster.

Go barbless, then all you need is a small stick with a Y at the end to push it out super easy. Or a pair of hemostats, what ever.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

bongwizzard posted:

Guys:

New from zman, coming out at ICAST. A small, buoyant, nearly indestructible tube designed to work on an external jighead and spiral on the fall? Sign me the gently caress up.

I am going to catch all the loving smallmouth. All of them.

I feel like that spiral would foul up your line after a minute without a swivel. For some reason I hate swivels on my line, don't know why.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

slavatuvs posted:

I'm wondering if anyone knows the specific taxonomy of this type of fish, I figure it is some type of river herring or shiner.

Schools of these guys have moved into the river, I can now catch them just by dragging the hook through the water and snagging on their fins or body. The river is low and in some shallow places you can't even see the bottom as their schools are so thick.

That my friend is what we here in VA at least call a Fall Fish, but is actually a large variety of chub. Some people call them "Rapidan River Trout" in the lower sections of the Rapidan because they can be caught/fished for in much the same way. They can also get pretty drat big and put up a nice fight.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

slavatuvs posted:

How do they taste?

I've only ever heard of people smoking them myself, and they're supposed to be pretty bony. They're basically super sized minnows. I would think the larger ones would taste better as their diet would be heavier on the prey fish side and less on the aquatic invertebrates.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

Rotten Cookies posted:

Fishing Questions

If you're going after smallies and brook trout you're definitely going to want to snag a moderately priced ultralight, fast action spinning combo with some 4 pound test line spooled on it. I've always liked Quantum's stuff but they can get pricey. For the line you can't beat 4 pound Berkley Vanish.

As for lures, grab a pack of dark colored jig heads between 1/64 and 1/32 ounce size and a pack of Berkley Power Nymphs. Those things are like cheating. Also take a look at the 1/32 or 1/16 ounce Rooster Tail spinners and the smaller size Rapala sinking lures (the smallest size will have just one treble hook on the back).

Staying on the right side of the law is easy, just Google the regulations for your fishing destination. Things to look out for is if you need a trout stamp or national forest permit to fish the particular waters/species you're after. There are also certain areas where only single, barbless hooks and artificial lures can be used, so no live bait or trebel hooks.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

If you're feeling sassy you can always crimp down the barbs on your hooks, allowing for crazy easy releases. The trade off is the fish can much more easily throw the hook if they're a jumper. I personally prefer barbless but then again I've been fishing almost 30 years and "playing the fish" comes second nature.

You will definitely want to get a set of hemostats..... STAT!. Nothing makes removing a swallowed hook faster than a long nose pair of hemostats. In a pinch you can also use a twig with a small fork at the end. Push forked end into the bend of the hook and push, pops the hook right out.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

Suspect Bucket posted:

She was a friend fish, not a food fish.

Bro fish are the best. Back in my early-mid 20s I would wade the Rapidan River here in VA, and there was a big-rear end carp the locals called "Bubba" that would hang around the boat landing. It would follow behind people swimming/wading in the river and hoover up the critters getting kicked up. Trying to catch him was extremely frowned upon and would get you a hot little earful if you got caught trying.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

Rythe posted:

I have done almost every kind of fishing I can think of and I can safely say I have zero experience with fly fishing. Do you typically use a fly rod or can you use a ultra light?

You absolutely can use flies with an ultra light, in fact it's one of my favorite ways to fish. I tie my own flies, and make special weighted versions of certain patterns that can be cast with an ultralight. You can also tie a lot of patterns onto a 1/32oz to 1/64oz plain jig head, such as woolybuggers.

People also often use normal, unweighted flies in conjunction with a normal splitshot weight a foot or two up the line, or with those weird casting bubble things you can fill with water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

Here in VA the laws are less focused on gear and more focused on the bait/hook used. Most trout waters in VA are labeled "Artificials Only", and most of those also ban anything other than "single barbless hooks". I've had more than one run-in with rangers or wardens who wanted to see my license with appropriate stamps and also take a peak at my tackle box to make sure I wasn't using treble hooks and nightcrawlers.